6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by charybdis1966 »

I liked this episode and I'd a given it a 7.5 if the poll was working. In particular Magnum's empathetic approach to Nick was quite moving.

The plot twist worked well for me too, I had the grumpy cop as the culprit.

Lots of bikined bodies around to add to the visual appeal of the episode.

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#22 Post by ThomasMagnum »

When Magnum goes to talk to Nick Frangakis (The Nam veteran) and they first meet, Frangakis is holding a M16 - they exchange some words in Vietnamese.

Does anyone know what they say to each other?

Bathurstfan
Commander

#23 Post by Bathurstfan »

Hey does anyone know how to get to the place they called the surfrider club in this episode

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

I like this episode mostly for Vic Morrow and Wings Hauser. ESPECIALLY Wings, cuz I love that man.

I think the biggest weakness with this episode -- and this was the fault of many television series of the 80s -- was that we had no prior knowledge of the victim. So we see Magnum all upset, but have no background really as to why, and then we never hear about her again.

I mean, you saw stuff like that all the time on stuff like Hart to Hart, but here we see a noticably (sp?) distraught Thomas, and yet, we don't feel that sadness ourselves. Not like when Tanaka died (as an example)...

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#25 Post by rubber chicken »

Bathurstfan wrote:Hey does anyone know how to get to the place they called the surfrider club in this episode
Hi there Bathurstfan, the location is included in my location guide, and you can find more info about it there.

The Surfrider Club was located here, although I suspect they built an exterior set against the side of this building and didn't actually use the inside. I haven't yet found where the interior was filmed. As far as actually getting there, you could probably use the directions on this page for the way to the Lost survivors camp. They're both on the same beach. The beach is public property, but I think if you actually went up to the building you would be at risk of meeting the security guards who are there mainly for the Lost set to the northeast. Although I'm not sure what the security situation is now that Lost is no longer being filmed.

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#26 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

J.J. Walters wrote:LOL! Styles! :)

I'm not arguing with that. It just seemed a little.... strange. Especially the way they shot it. Why a "Kid on the Beach"? A "Teenager on the Beach" would have been more palatable. ;)
I just thought it really odd that she borrowed the kids towel!??1 Who does that?

burny
Commander

#27 Post by burny »

weird episode - sorta felt a bit off. i just watched it again as i had kinda been
avoiding it for the last year because i remember not liking it much. i guess i
liked it a bit better now - rick and tc posing as anyone is almost always funny. not nearly enuf higgy in this epidode.

the kid on the beach "can i borrow your towel" thing was just plain weird.
almost feels like there was something that went with that that got edited.
man, how great would it be if all the deleted scenes someday, somehow,
surfaced!

the troubled vietnam vet thing was too hokey, imo. kinda seems like
the show as "above" that cliched motif.

i think this might be the first appearance of 'kika the pedicab driver' as
ralph the bartender. i did kwik google of him - was surprised to see how
young he died.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... ln05a.html

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I thought this was a very good episode, and I rated it as such. The plot was realistic and touching...and this was one of the more serious and sad episodes. Everyone did excellent acting jobs, and the whole time you kept hoping that Casey would somehow "pop" out really still alive, and had just faked her death. Yet, you knew that was not going to happen. This episode is sombering but still captivating at the same time, and it's one I enjoy watching each time I go through the show.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#29 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I like episodes like this where Magnum has a personal stake on the investigation as opposed to the ditzy blonde from Kansas looking for his lost father where you don't really care that much.

I might be naive, but the unfolding took me by surprise. I bit the Jordan red herring from the start - hook, line and sinker. I guess it's the milquetoast types you have to look out for. :)

I didn't know about Vic Morrow's death. So sad.

I...
Ensign

#30 Post by I... »

ThomasMagnum wrote:When Magnum goes to talk to Nick Frangakis (The Nam veteran) and they first meet, Frangakis is holding a M16 - they exchange some words in Vietnamese.

Does anyone know what they say to each other?
I have no idea what Magnum is trying to say. I don't think his Vietnamese pronunciation was first priority in this episode. What I did get though was Nick saying "Dừng lại" (Stop!).

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Weird... this is the third episode in a row (I sort of got the order mixed up because I took the wrong DVD case out) where I suspect one character from the start and he turns out to be the murderer!

Maybe it's because the blond kid also played a bad cop in Starsky & Hutch, I don't know, but I had him under suspicion the second he was shown on screen...

Either that or I should change my career and become a P.I.

The towel scene was weird, but maybe that is supposed to show that she's on drugs and doing weird things??? I mean the kid she borrows it from seems to be shaking his head in disbelief too!

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Again it seems I'm going against the grain. What can I say? I like the more serious episodes. So while everyone is singing praises for "Tropical Madness" (an okay episode in my book) I'm singing praises for "Wave Goodbye". Ok, not exactly singing but it's a very good episode in my mind.

The introduction of the Nick Frangakis character (played wonderfully by the always dependable Wings Hauser) took this episode to another level I thought. I'm a sucker for episodes that have some connection to Vietnam and Magnum's past.

Plus it was a treat to see Vic Morrow in one of his last roles. I liked how they set him up as the red-herring. I actually fell for it and was surprised the killer ended up being his nice-guy partner W.K. Stratton.

The absence of Higgins here doesn't really bother me that much because I'd rather have a solid story than pointless bickering between Higgy and Magnum (as fun as those are at times). But the one scene that he does have here is a classic -- him trying to bargain with Magnum and Magnum saying they should just do stuff for each other out of friendship. Then... TWO WEEKS!! :lol:

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Seaver41 »

possible flub......after Magnum decks Kelly.....and he pulls his gun on Magnum......he gets up and then the camera angle from the back of Magnum pointing up towards the beach......you can see a shadow reflecting on the sand of someone.......I took this initially to be Vic Morrow, but in the timeline of the scene, Magnum would've seen him and the scene would have played out differently. It was not until he turned him around and started to walk do we see Morrow appear.

Decent episode. I look at Gary's place on the water and think to how that place now would be worth a fortune and completely upgraded. Amazing how waterfront property back then was taken for granted in a lot of places.

Somebody asked what happened to the Nick character..........I took the expression on his face after Magnum admitted he himself got 'help' that he relented and would eventually get that help. It was an expression of surprise (obviously) and wonderment that this guy who seems together was once in his spot.

I thought they did a great job of casting KC.....from the standpoint of not going for a typical beach body, but rather someone with a few party pounds on her........made her character's place in life very believable.

snp389
Captain

#34 Post by snp389 »

I like this Ep. Never saw it on TV. Fist time was on DVD.
In Australia, the 3rd series was the most prominent ever broadcast.
In my opinion, the best scenes are those with TM talking with Nick Frangakis. The look in TM's eyes are exactly that of a Veteran seeing 'stuff' that he's seen and been exposed to before. I can make comment on this subject, being a war Veteran myself.
I reckon it is also a great display of Tom Selleck's acting.
It's all in the eyes and the re-actions to things.

Bes
Commander

#35 Post by Bes »

This is a great episode and I couldn't agree less with all the nitpicking! Very surprised at the mixed reception to be honest. One of Series 2's best IMO.