6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#41 Post by J.J. Walters »

No need to know! wrote:I don´t know about you guys and girls but i get a bit depressed everytime i see something with Vic Morrow. He had a terrible end, and accidents like that isn´t tolerable. Sad.
Me too! What a horrible way to go. What a tragedy. And those poor kids! :(
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Frodoleader »

Loved this episode. It is a typical MPI - and I mean that in positive and complimentary way!
My only gripe was that I found it very odd for two beat cops to be investigating the murder. From all the TV cop shows I've watched over the decades, isn't that a job for the detectives? Where is Tanaka?!?!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by 308GUY »

Just watched this one again recently.

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere here, but may have missed it, talking about a possible "flub" I thought I saw.

After TM comes out of the Surfrider in the afternoon, and encounters the two officers outside, noticed after they left and TM was getting in the Ferrari. As he opens the door, enters the car and slides down into the seat, then pulls the door closed, you can see someone's reflection in the door mirror,(head and shoulders) and it's not TM's, and there doesn't appear to be anyone else behind the car in the next shot that would be reflected in the door mirror, so I guessed it must have been one of the crew?

Anybody else notice this one, or did I miss something?

Also, not a "flub" just an observation: when TM first questions Ralph (the barkeep in the club), he talks about greasing his palm, but as the scene cuts to inside the building, we can see that TM has enlisted different means of persuasion! Just struck me as slightly "out of character", as I said, just an observation.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by 308GUY »

Ok...just figured out that if you click on the "Magnum Mania" banner at the top of EVERY page...you get a whole bunch of new pages with a plethora of information containing "Everything you ever wanted to know about the TV show Magnum P.I."..and THEN some! Contained in it is the synopsis of each episode with a list of obvious "flubs", among which for this particular episode, is the one I mentioned above, plus several others that slipped completly by me. Day late and a dollar short for me...NOT an unusual situation, and one that I'm acustomed to.

Another reason this is such a good site, congrats again to J.J. and whoever helped set this site up initially. I'll try to educate myself a little better in the future before I spout off, but this IS a "forum", so I hope I wasn't out of line by posting my original inquiry.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#45 Post by J.J. Walters »

308GUY wrote:Ok...just figured out that if you click on the "Magnum Mania" banner at the top of EVERY page...you get a whole bunch of new pages with a plethora of information containing "Everything you ever wanted to know about the TV show Magnum P.I."..and THEN some!
Yeah, heh, the forum is just one small part of a larger entity... the Magnuverse! :)

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by 308GUY »

J.J.Walters wrote:Yeah, heh, the forum is just one small part of a larger entity... the Magnuverse!:)
Thanks J.J. not sure how I initially got straight to the forum without going through the main page, but that's what happened.

I'm still awed by the overwhelming amount of information and facts associated with the show and everything/everyone concerning it, you have assembled all in one neat, easily accessed, very well organized site! Very well done, and as I said earlier, it's gonna take me some time to catch up with most of the folks here. So far, I'm still enjoying it immensely!

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Danno »

Somehow I'd watched all 8 seasons and missed this one!

What a shame the Surfrider Bar wasn't an actual location. I'd love to have had a beer there.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#48 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Speaking of the opening surf scene, what's up with the "Kid on the Beach" (credited as such) checking out Kacy as she comes out of the water?!

He looks her up and down, bites his lip. What is he like 12! :shock:
I watched this episode last night and it is one of the odder moments in this entire series. Why a kid was chosen to check out an adult woman makes me wonder if the producers are sharing their own, personal desires at that age.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#49 Post by Sisophous »

[quote="Jelly Doughnuts"]"I just thought it really odd that she borrowed the kids towel!??1 Who does that?"

No one approaches a stranger and asks to use their beach towel. I'd like to put together a thread of some of the oddities from this series.

It's like asking to borrow someone's toothbrush.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re: Re:

#50 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Sisophous wrote:
Jelly Doughnuts wrote:"I just thought it really odd that she borrowed the kids towel!??1 Who does that?"

No one approaches a stranger and asks to use their beach towel. I'd like to put together a thread of some of the oddities from this series.

It's like asking to borrow someone's toothbrush.

I agree. I thought that was odd...I don't think I would ever lend out my towel.

Mr. T M P.I.
Ensign

Re: Wave Goodbye (2.8)

#51 Post by Mr. T M P.I. »

Does anyone know if the melody " Kacy's song " is avilable for download / purchase anywhere ? It's a lovely melody from this episode and I know that there is a Clip on this site of it, however I am looking for the full melody and studio recording ?

Thank you for any help :-)

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#52 Post by magnumette »

Wave goodbye: 10 great for characterization and Vietnam Vet portrayal
Wings Hauser's memorable performance as Nick is what makes this episode great. Magnum's confession that he served time in psychiatric rehab strengthened my respect for his character-but at the moment blew my mind almost as much as Nicks- I'd forgotten this -or never really noticed all those years ago when I last watched this ! I just love the depth of his character. Steven Moffat the creative genius behind many Brit shows- Dr Who, Sherlock, said about Sherlock - it is a show about a detective -not a detective show- this rings true for MPI especially with episodes like this . Magnum has to solve a puzzle for himself -not because of a client of the week...

Yeah it is dated - not so much for the DNA - but the character's lifestyles - surfer chick smokes a little grass, maybe does a little blow has casual and unprotected sex on beach . I was about "kid on the beach"'s age when this aired but clearly more innocent...by the time I was mid teens a couple of years after this was filmed - casual sex and drugs were big taboos due to Nancy Reagan and HIV/AIDS epidemic. I appreciate even though she was a free spirit Magnum defended supported her choices to enjoy life.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#53 Post by J.J. Walters »

Mr. T M P.I. wrote:Does anyone know if the melody " Kacy's song " is avilable for download / purchase anywhere ? It's a lovely melody from this episode and I know that there is a Clip on this site of it, however I am looking for the full melody and studio recording ?
Not that I'm aware of. It is indeed a lovely melody. I'd really like to see a Post/Carpenter Magnum P.I. episode scores CD release, like what they did with Jan Hammer's Miami Vice scores. A 3-CD release... t'would be awesome! :)

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by charybdis1966 »

magnumette wrote:Wave goodbye: ......Yeah it is dated - not so much for the DNA - but the character's lifestyles - surfer chick smokes a little grass, maybe does a little blow has casual and unprotected sex on beach . I was about "kid on the beach"'s age when this aired but clearly more innocent...by the time I was mid teens a couple of years after this was filmed - casual sex and drugs were big taboos due to Nancy Reagan and HIV/AIDS epidemic.
I don't know why but I got an image of Nancy Reagan being heavily into casual sex and drugs when you put it like that.

The main thing I remember about the 80's was Tipper Gore putting my favourite band, Judas Priest, on the "musn't listen to list" - i guess that was part of the same moral crusade.

EZiller
Captain

#55 Post by EZiller »

7, nothing special. Would have liked to have seen more of Diane Crowley as Kacy! But aside from her looking so good, I think they could have developed the plot line a bit better and maybe had her murder about halfway through the story, rather than in the first .10 minutes. Plus I think the great Vic Morrow was wasted playing...once again, a grouchy, fascist type of cop-which seemed to be the only type of roles he was getting later in his career. For millions of baby boomer age boys who grew up in the 60's, VM as Sgt. Saunders in "Combat" was our idea of what a Sgt. and platoon leader should be. When we would play army we would all alternate as the various characters in the show. But Sgt. Saunders was the guy everyone wanted to be. Although it was occasionally fun to be the German and ham up a death scene.