1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 119

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Mad Buck Gibson (2.9)

#51 Post by ConchRepublican »

Kudu buck wrote:Aloha everybody, this is my first post. I'm from Rome (Italy) and I'm 40.
Now, I know what you're thinking, and you're right: I'm a big big big fan of this show.
The best ever tv show. My english is not so good and I'm sorry about that :)
Few months ago I was in Oahu, realising one of my dreams: visiting the island and some of the show locations (and locations of 'Lost' too).
But my first target was Magnum P.I.. I saw Pahonu, the tidal pool, the Makai pier, the elks lodge, waialae beach park, waikiki, chinatown, the north shore, the studios, the kapaolono playground, Byodo In and so on. That was marvellous. I loved that island.
Since I'm re-watching the series on DVD in order (I own all of the dvd box sets), I'm enjoying myself to find those locations I couldn't visit (rubber chicken is better than me of course. :D )
I've decided to dedicate my forst post to Mad Buck Gibson because he is a good guy and beacuase this episode is excellent.
Mahalo!
Aloha Kudu Buck! Welcome to Magnum-Mania and what a great way to start!

You seem to have a bit of Rubber Chicken in you when it comes to location sleuthing. I'm a maps guy and can lost researching places myself, you should have a ball going through his location map, check it out: http://magnum-mania.com/A_Rubber_Chicken_Guide.html

Looking forward to more of your input!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Kevster »

The best part of this episode were the guest stars and the fact that I FINALLY got to watch it. When I went from epsides 1.1 through 8.13 last Summer, Netflix had this one messed up on the watch instantly links... I checked it this morning and it was the right episode!!! Finally finished the one episode I'd missed.... I also haven't seen the crossover "Part II's", but I'll get those someday...

I like that some of the illusion of the estate was removed in this episode. They were very cavalier with the vantage point for the guest house, the TM/Ms. Gibson stroll, and showing the "back" (side) wall of the estate behind the portico. Nice to see a few never before seen angles of these areas. They had to have recognized they were eroding the illusion somewhat.

I rated this a 9.0. Not because of anything other than it was showing a little more of the TM character maturing, the guest stars, and the personal satisfaction that came with watching it. In the middle of wathcing the others, I might have waffled between 8.5 and 9.0....

Still FAR better than most anything you'll find on the tube these days. I NEVER watch the primary networks anymore. Unfortunately, someone has been... They are being encouraged to make a bunch of crap by somebody turning on the tube.
Trust Me!!!

Neil Peel
Lieutenant

#53 Post by Neil Peel »

I think I've spotted a flub in this episode:-
Whilst Buck is lying in Thomas' bathtub, he initially fires four sets of Mozambique Pattern rounds into the wall (four head shots and eight chest shots). Shortly afterwards, whilst Thomas and Jonathan are talking in the grounds, we hear a further four sets of shots. Assuming Buck is still shooting at the same target, one would expect there to be eight bullet holes in the target's head, yet later, when Thomas is looking through Buck's toiletries bag, only three bullet holes are visible.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#54 Post by marlboro »

I absolutely loved this episode. One of my top three from the second season. Darren McGavin was a terrific actor and he was just perfect for the role. During the first act, I was afraid that it was just going to be a whacky comedy episode about an eccentric guest causing trouble for Magnum and Higgins, but it turned out to be a very touching episode.

I don't have any problem with the ending either. If Magnum saved Buck, he would basically be telling him it was better for him to die of terminal bone cancer. I don't think that would be a decision that Thomas could, would, or should make for someone. Buck was a wild man, and he went out on his own terms without any fear. You can't ask for more than that.

Nifty911
Captain

Re:

#55 Post by Nifty911 »

N1095A wrote:So, I'm watching this episode just now, and I've gotten to the part where TM and Rick are having their initial meeting with Buck's ex-wife. As she's talking, I notice that her necklace is actually a pendant that is a word. reviewing it frame by frame, and watching the light reflect from it, I was suprised to conclude the word is "BITCH". Shocking that was shown in 1980's prime time. Check it out.

I noticed this too when I was watching this episode earlier. Browsed this site just tonight when I saw it to see if it was what I thought it was. LOL

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by steveadl »

Interesting in this and a couple other episodes during Magnum and Higgins bargaining over estate facility usage they bring up the tennis courts, billiard room and more importantly the pool.

Now we know the state has no pool except the tidal pool, but this episode even took place after "The Ugliest Dog In Hawaii" where the mafia thugs even mentioned to Rick when he was dressed up as a pool cleaner that the estate has no pool.

Little oversight.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Little Garwood »

Watched this again last night and only now just noticed that Higgins and Buck Gibson don't share a scene together! Yes, Higgins gets that hilarious monologue about Buck's previous visit to the estate, but McGavin and Hillerman don't interact at all.

I also found the ending more poignant than usual (no mean feat considering how awful McGavin's fake beard looks) as well as Buck's reactions to his diminishing health, especially the way he reacted to the NYC doctor's phone call.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Little Garwood »

Oh! I think John Hillerman muffed his line when he asks Magnum about the fountain and the Rolls Royce. I don't recall the line exactly but he says something like, "May I ask you a question? May I have your opinion, actually?" Nice recovery from JH there to keep the scene going.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#59 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Poignant episode about mortality spoiled by one of the most irritating characters on the show, played over the top by Darren McGavin. The hairpiece and the fake beard are so awful they really distract from the story. Vera Miles is great though.

Buck's character (or a less annoying version of it) would have been great for a crepuscular John Wayne (one can only dream, but we did have Frank Sinatra after all).

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
What a great thread! As noted Buck was a Hemingway stand in, especially with his attitude to Death. Posters wondering why Magnum didn't "save" the already doomed Buck perhaps missed the point.
Buck had finally defeated Death by embracing it on his own terms. Magnum understood that, and when Buck asked Thomas if this was going to end with Thomas wrestling him to the ground, at best only a temporary hold on Buck's plans, it was clear Buck's choice was best honored.
I am not meaning to be sexist but this is a "man's episode", the kind of thinking that caused the aforementioned Hunter Thompson to write that excessive drinking was a way for a fellow to get "rid of the pain of being a man", as you can't host a pity party like women do and have a good cry together.
I think what appeals to many of the people here about Mad Buck is him having the b--ls to go out on a high, sailing out into some of the most beautiful scenery on earth to meet God, as it were, carefree instead of rotting in a hospital bed, no shred of manly dignity left to him, hoping the attendant will come soon and wipe him. Fock no, thank you very much.
By the way Hemingway decided to kill himself after he couldnt write anymore and do all the things in life he enjoyed such as hunting and fishing and the ladies. Ironically what brought that on were many episodes of electric shock therapy, the doctors deciding on that remedy because Papa insisted the FBI was following him everywhere and tapping his phone, which it later turned out they were!
Hey JJ, I hope the word "fock" passes your standards test as I made it up in any event.
Mike

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#61 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Hi Guys,
What a great thread! As noted Buck was a Hemingway stand in, especially with his attitude to Death. Posters wondering why Magnum didn't "save" the already doomed Buck perhaps missed the point.
Buck had finally defeated Death by embracing it on his own terms. Magnum understood that, and when Buck asked Thomas if this was going to end with Thomas wrestling him to the ground, at best only a temporary hold on Buck's plans, it was clear Buck's choice was best honored.
I am not meaning to be sexist but this is a "man's episode", the kind of thinking that caused the aforementioned Hunter Thompson to write that excessive drinking was a way for a fellow to get "rid of the pain of being a man", as you can't host a pity party like women do and have a good cry together.
I think what appeals to many of the people here about Mad Buck is him having the b--ls to go out on a high, sailing out into some of the most beautiful scenery on earth to meet God, as it were, carefree instead of rotting in a hospital bed, no shred of manly dignity left to him, hoping the attendant will come soon and wipe him. Fock no, thank you very much.
By the way Hemingway decided to kill himself after he couldnt write anymore and do all the things in life he enjoyed such as hunting and fishing and the ladies. Ironically what brought that on were many episodes of electric shock therapy, the doctors deciding on that remedy because Papa insisted the FBI was following him everywhere and tapping his phone, which it later turned out they were!
Hey JJ, I hope the word "fock" passes your standards test as I made it up in any event.
Mike
I enjoyed this episode and understand Buck's decision, but I have always taken the other side on this dilemma.

There's nothing manly about quitting. :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi ConchRepublican,
You wrote
"I enjoyed this episode and understand Buck's decision, but I have always taken the other side on this dilemma.There's nothing manly about quitting".
Neither I or the Magnum writers was talking about quitting, as Buck was already fated to take the mortgage out on some rural acreage, ie 'buy the farm'.
I'm talking Buck preferring the dignity of dying the way he wants and giving Death the finger(instead of being reduced to the status of a small child in a hospital, dependent on Mommy/the staff for everything) and the right to be left the hell alone to do that.
Who has the right to tell Buck otherwise?
For people who live life a certain way I can't think of anything worse than to give up all your freedom of action/choice because some stranger in a doctor suit dictates how you will end your time on earth.
John Wayne suffered such a living hell when he was dying from cancer that though he had re embraced Catholicism he begged his sons to bring him a pistol so he could end his suffering, cancer being such a horror that no one should go out that way. Though his boys refused, they later regretted it because The Duke's suffering was pointless.
Personally I think it is morally wrong to commit suicide, such as when a Curt Cobaine(spelling?) does it because he is a 'tortured artist' with stomach problems.
But if someone is doomed to die an ugly death, and they can opt for a dignified one, I won't pass judgement on him/her(which I guess is what Magnum finally decided as he let Buck go).
If it's a matter of experiencing some of the worst aspects of life to be able to relate to this episode of Magnum, maybe it's better to not 'get' it's theme.
If you ask me, I think Magnum, Higgins and Rick - but not TC -would do the same as Mad Buck in the same circumstances. Mike
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#63 Post by magnumette »

Ok a 9 for me. I love the series and think like many that there really aren't many shows out there of this quality so even a lame MPI isn't that bad. I don't mind no bad guys, or Mc Gavin's fake hair/beard- he is McGavin - he is pretty awesome especially in Christmas Story... , the ending is OK too . I love the Hemingway nod - one of my favorite if not my favorite writers- Shakespeare and Graham Greene round it out... but his antics resulted in hurting others and his cavalier disregard for others are what bugged me . The over the top personality bordered on being an a$$%hole, McGavin's speech at end saved this character-just .

The humor was welcome here.
Great laugh out loud moment - the bartender recycling the chips and the bar patron in background just nodding along. Great seedy bar characterization and Higgins knowing the pattern and counting correctly - it is preposterous and delightful and why I love higgy baby.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Magnumette,
You wrote
" The over the top personality bordered on being an a$$%hole, McGavin's speech at end saved this character-just"

Since Buck is a classic man-child type, he is of course a jerk a lot of the time and if you were his buddy or spouse you would have to forgive alot. But I suspect his treatment of his ex wife, constantly pushing her away and doing everything he could to get her to stop caring for him may have been his way to spare her any more grief since his death was at hand. She must have known that too otherwise like everyone else she would have given up on him.
I also think Buck's "antics" that often result "in hurting others" is pretty typical behavior for males in their 20's, where petty betrayals are a source of humor - Buck's problem is he's still doing it.
Magnumette, I am begining to wonder if Buck isnt supposed to also represent some sort of wake up call for Thomas, Rick and Higgins, a mirror of what might await them if they dont settle down and find a good woman. Luther Gillis definitely represents that to Thomas, to his horror.
I laughed at your "Higgy Baby", I agree he rocks but don't you get the impression he isnt really embraced by some of the posters here?

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#65 Post by Doc Ibold »

Actually,

I think a lot of us really like Higgins and John Hillerman in general.

I'd go as far to say that without the character of Higgins, the show doesn't work nearly as well as he fills many different roles - comrade, foil, straight man, comic relief, father figure, sometimes antagonist and backstory provider.

Even in some of the weaker episodes..it's usually the Higgins scenes that totally save them for me.