No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 99

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#61 Post by K Hale »

robspace54 wrote:I did enjoy Higgins sweating and puffing. I'll bet cast and crew got a big grin out of putting John through his paces.
Every time I watch the sit ups scene, I imagine him secretly wondering if a stunt double could have been used. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: Computer Date (2.14)

#62 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

J.J. Walters wrote:Great observation there on the computers, K Hale! Those babies are rocking a whole 2 KB of RAM! :)
Thanks! :) ...but I am not K Hale. (...at least... I don't think I am. ;) )

I also identified all the keyboards used with the Dracos III and posted it in the Little Games thread. Computers and terminals of the 70's and 80's are a hobby of mine. I'm typing this using a keyboard from a 1977 terminal.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#63 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ugh! Sorry Mad Kudu Buck! I've been off-the-grid for a while and I've apparently lost most of my abilities to post effectively, manage the forum and update the website! It's slowly coming back to me now, though! :)

Welcome to The Mania! Digging your posts! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by 308GUY »

K Hale wrote:
marlboro wrote:The sacrifices one must make to win the heart of a woman built like the Prince Albert Memorial:

Darn broken link, I'd love to know what that was! :lol:

Can somebody explain the Prince Albert Memorial thing? I looked the memorial up and can see no conceivable connection...
Just a shot in the dark here, as I know nothing about the Prince Albert Memorial....I believe TM made reference to it as an analogy JQH could better relate to rather than "built like a brick outhouse" (the American version) describing the woman (Lady Ashley) he wanted to get in shape to impress.

The "brick" outhouse is representative of something that has everything necessary, but in spades......overkill.....much more than it needs to be...but will obviously work just fine for it's intended purpose....and sooo much more!

Like I said...just conjecture on my part. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by K Hale »

Ohhhhhhhh.

I have heard the brick, er, out...house phrase before but never understood that, either. Today has indeed been a day for learning. 8)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

There is a Prince Albert Memorial in London:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Memorial

It has a whole bunch of sculptures. Here is the "Europe group":

I wonder if she's built like this. (...the woman, not the cow)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by K Hale »

This is what I found when I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Me ... y_2008.jpg

I didn't see any analogy to a woman, but what you say makes sense in a Magnumish way.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by K Hale »

SignGuyHPW wrote:I thought that this one was alright, but not one of my favorites. The main problem I had with it was that I thought it hurt Rick's character to outright have an affair with a married woman knowingly. Then Rick tells the girl what exscuses to tell her husband as to why he's with her like he'd been in that type of situation before.
This behavior of Rick's was crappy. So was the "thirty years uglier" thing, sorry because apparently everyone loved it.
The parts of the show with Higgins trying to get in shape were alright, but I didn't think they were the greatest comedy segments of the series either.
Relatable is what they were. 110% relatable! In middle school, which was right around this same time, come to think of it, we were made to go through a torture called "The Presidential Fitness Program." What it had to do with being presidential was never made clear to us, but it involved what felt like Olympic level physical fitness training that I for one failed miserably at. Truly awful memories! Ever since then, I've been in what I like to call the Fitness Protection Program. 8)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#69 Post by ☨magnum.t »

Haha the "jokes" about Lady Ashley's looks were probably pretty tame compared to what they would've actually been with three Vets sitting around talking in private with one another. I think "guy talk" will always happen and always be what's perceived as "mean" or harsh but we really mean nothing harmful by it. I have literally sat around with a group of guys from my unit and made fun of each other, every thing from momma jokes to personal insults and everyone just laughs and knows its just a darker sense of humor. As far as the Rick thing yeah it was pretty terrible morally but we all know Rick and how he "falls in love" with every girl he meets, so its not totally out of character plus I always thought of Rick as the one character who had very Gray morals and sense of ethics anyway.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:Haha the "jokes" about Lady Ashley's looks were probably pretty tame compared to what they would've actually been with three Vets sitting around talking in private with one another. I think "guy talk" will always happen and always be what's perceived as "mean" or harsh but we really mean nothing harmful by it. I have literally sat around with a group of guys from my unit and made fun of each other, every thing from momma jokes to personal insults and everyone just laughs and knows its just a darker sense of humor.
Certainly, as you are all playing the game. Remarks about someone who is not part of the game are a bit much, though. And don't forget, Higgins is also a vet.
As far as the Rick thing yeah it was pretty terrible morally but we all know Rick and how he "falls in love" with every girl he meets, so its not totally out of character plus I always thought of Rick as the one character who had very Gray morals and sense of ethics anyway.
It's not at all out of character.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#71 Post by ☨magnum.t »

I was only saying that when Rick, T.C. and Thomas are together that any thing is fair game to make fun of lol Like in Old Acquaintance when they look at Goldie's yearbook picture and say "well she's probably smart". I think In the 80's it was a lot more accepted to poke fun than it is now , thicker skin and all that.
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by K Hale »

I'm sure it's equally acceptable today as it was then.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by ENSHealy »

Did anyone else think that the plane that takes off in the background at the end looked "photoshopped" in. Obviously, not photoshop, but whatever tech they would have used at the time. It looks almost cartoony, I think because the light on the plane and the light in the scene are different.

That's my first attempt at putting a pic in a post. We'll see if it works. Do you still have to have them hosted elsewhere and just link them in, or can you put them directly in posts?

I'm with K Hale on the comments about Lady Ashley, I thought they were harsh, especially the barking. Doesn't reflect well on the boys.

The security guard at the gate of Global Laser is the same actor who was the cop at the airport who took a bribe from the "old moustache" to not have to move the car out of the loading and unloading only zone, in Ugliest Dog in Hawaii.

There was a question earlier about why TM describes Lady Ashley as "built like the Prince Albert Memorial." Thomas is quoting Higgins from his memoirs. And I've always assumed it was just a "Higgins" way of saying "statuesque", although seeing the pictures posted here, maybe he literally meant built like the female figures from the memorial.

Lady Ashley's arrival was a bizarre scene. Her makeup was awful. Why didn't they just get an older actress, instead of using all that bad makeup on her? With Mad Buck, Fake Farber, and now Lady Ashley, bad makeup has really taken the edge off 3 episodes.

But the Higgins sit up scene alone makes this one of the classic episodes.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

f14peter
Lieutenant

#74 Post by f14peter »

here is the thing about "built like ..." or "built like a brick ..." As others have mentioned, it comes from the phrase "built like a brick outhouse/$?!t house" based on outhouses being typically rather flimsy structures, but one made of bricks would be extraordinarily "well-built", implying the physical form of the person in question is extra attractive to whomever uses the expression.

By the way, did anyone else notice that the security guard Magnum talks to outside the company ... his nametag said "WALRUS"

karolis
Admiral

#75 Post by karolis »

Rocket wrote:One thing I did notice, maybe not a flub, is the Porsche 911 parked at the KKC when Magnum almost gets run down is the same one that drives by as Magnum is being pulled over by the cop.
Here's those Porsche's for comparison:

Rocket wrote:Another is that the stunt doubles for M and H in the car chase are obvious, with H's double having a thick head of hair. Way more than Higgy-baby. Magnums double is much closer to TS.
Netsrak wrote:
rubber chicken wrote:Image

I believe it reads:

PRIVATE PROPERTY
(not sure, might start with T?)
GUARD DOGS
ON DUTY

In what previous episode does the sign appear? It might help me.
A clearer shot of the sign is seen in "Double Jeopardy" (2.19) as Magnum follows one of the Sushi Brothers over the estate wall (around the 3:42 mark). Although a ladder partially obscures the sign, the small text of the second line can be made out to read "TRESPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED".
Here's the screenshot from "Double Jeopardy" (2.19):

ENSHealy wrote: The security guard at the gate of Global Laser is the same actor who was the cop at the airport who took a bribe from the "old moustache" to not have to move the car out of the loading and unloading only zone, in Ugliest Dog in Hawaii.
Guard of Global Laser:

Guard in Ugliest Dog in Hawaii:

So you are right!
ENSHealy wrote: Lady Ashley's arrival was a bizarre scene. Her makeup was awful. Why didn't they just get an older actress, instead of using all that bad makeup on her? With Mad Buck, Fake Farber, and now Lady Ashley, bad makeup has really taken the edge off 3 episodes.
Gotta agree, really bad job

At 37:08 when Magnum is telling “I’m taking out a pick and putting the pick in the lock and picking away, and…” there’s some kind of chatter in the distance in the corridor heard, like some kids would be playing. At least in my recording I can hear it (with headphones). Here's that scene when it can be heard:

We don't see Magnum's Ferrari with roof on in the rain, and in the night that often: