1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 129

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Tropical Madness (2.7)

#76 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:I remember he did it to J. Digger and the Ballerina in "The Sixth Position" although the later could be argued it was mutual lol
Def mutual... but I don't recall the Digger one?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#77 Post by ☨magnum.t »

He grabbed her and said lets put it to the test or something like that , then kissed her then she slapped him then it was all kosher lol
That reminds me of the time....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:He grabbed her and said lets put it to the test or something like that , then kissed her then she slapped him then it was all kosher lol
Well, she and Jenny were both awful, at least...
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

☨magnum.t wrote:[Jenny's] fake British accent
This reminds me, when Higgins sits down with Jenny at the KKC bar, TC and Rick start kidding Magnum because he got rejected while Higgins was able to strike up an actual conversation. Magnum replies, "Eh, they're both British. They're probably comparing accents."

If that was an in-joke, it's a good one.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

karolis
Admiral

Re:

#80 Post by karolis »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: * When Harcourt, the sumo and the dwarf let themselves into the house, look at the background behind them – there are a couple of real plants, but the main backdrop is clearly painted!
Here's the screenshot:

Seaver41 wrote: ...as for the clothes/windshield......my initial reaction was he didn't want the leather messed up as he was covered in lubricant/oil when he was out cold. At that point, why not use them to wipe the windshield?
This makes sense.

karolis
Admiral

#81 Post by karolis »

Has anyone noticed such personal details:

There's "Magnum" written on TM's belt (at 29:52):

As well as "Magnum.T." on his shorts (at 33:22):

Stef
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#82 Post by Stef »

Hello,
I'm looking for the "Rumba" music, play by Higgins.
Does any one know this music ?
Thank you.
Sorry I'm a French guy !

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Stef wrote:Hello,
I'm looking for the "Rumba" music, played by Higgins.
Thank you.
Sorry I'm a French guy !
Hi Stef,
Welcome to Magnum Mania mon ami. That is a catchy tune but I'm darned if I know the title.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#84 Post by Pahonu »

Thank you.
Sorry I'm a French guy !
Have you tried using the Shazam app?

Also, welcome.

Stef
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#85 Post by Stef »

Thank you for your answer and your welcome!

Yes, I've tried to SHAZAM but there no result... :(

I like to much this wonderful episode.

I’m sure you can enjoy it from 7 years old to 97 years old and for some different reasons!

It’s a funny episode and at the same time a human one in the background.

Just for the information and curiosity, frequently the dialogue is not exactly the same in French, so it fun to see a different result in the spirit of the story.
Even in the relationship between TM and Higgins.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Chris109 »

Does any one know this music ?!

Stef
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re:

#87 Post by Stef »

Milo Minderbinder wrote:
wilko wrote:I only noticed this flub last night......

When Magnum is helping Higgins get dressed for the Commodore's Ball, Higgins remarks that he will be home late and will try not to "downshift and accelerate" as he passes the guest house and wake him up so as to make a point to Magnum about how he is always woken up when Magnum comes in late at night. In doing this he unwittingly confirms that the guest house is not located where it is implied to be (behind and adjacent to the main house) but is in fact near the bend in the driveway between the gate house and the tennis courts.

Why would Higgins need to downshift and accelerate behind the main house in what would be a very confined space?
My take is that Higgins didn't really mean it literally, especially since he wouldn't be driving the Ferarri. He was just wanting to point out that he would be late and also wanted to take the opportunity to complain about Magnum making noise at night. JMO.
Hello'
Yes, Higgins just want to complain about Magnum.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by ENSHealy »

2.7 TROPICAL MADNESS
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count:
Magnum bullet wounds:
Shirtless: 2.5 (I knocked one down to a half, because they were in back to back, but separate scenes - it could be thought of as one continuous shirtless appearance. I usually require a dressed interlude in between in order to score multiple shirtless appearances)
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking: 2
When I write HTBAWCPI: 2
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Negotiations:
Higgins Organizations: .5 Honorary Commodore of the Yacht Club
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 10

After watching this again, I regret my having voted it only 8.5, I think it is clearly a 9 or 9.5.
K Hale wrote:
Faceman wrote:Enjoyed this episode, but really hated the forced kiss by magnum. I know he had great intentions all the way to help higgins, but it did come across sleazy, and higgins was right to deck him! Has to be the only time i didn't like a TM move though.
I didn't understand why he did that at all. What was the point?
I think that TM was trying to force something that would knock Jennifer and/or Higgins off course. You have to remember the dialogue (narration) in the scene just preceding the forced kiss. TM is coming out of the tidal pool after a swim and talking about his frustration in not being able to convince Higgins that Jennifer is a fake, with him even swallowing whole the preposterous "book about Monty in Africa" story. As he's toweling off he says "Somebody was manipulating me so that I spent my energy getting Higgins to listen to me instead of solving the case. That meant only one thing. It was time for desperate, inventive measures. The only problem was I wasn't focused on what those measures should be." He improvises the kiss as his "desperate, inventive" measure.
Stef wrote:
Milo Minderbinder wrote:
wilko wrote:I only noticed this flub last night......
When Magnum is helping Higgins get dressed for the Commodore's Ball, Higgins remarks that he will be home late and will try not to "downshift and accelerate" as he passes the guest house and wake him up so as to make a point to Magnum about how he is always woken up when Magnum comes in late at night. In doing this he unwittingly confirms that the guest house is not located where it is implied to be (behind and adjacent to the main house) but is in fact near the bend in the driveway between the gate house and the tennis courts.

Why would Higgins need to downshift and accelerate behind the main house in what would be a very confined space?
My take is that Higgins didn't really mean it literally, especially since he wouldn't be driving the Ferarri. He was just wanting to point out that he would be late and also wanted to take the opportunity to complain about Magnum making noise at night. JMO.
Hello'
Yes, Higgins just want to complain about Magnum.
I think there's another way to look at this. If we assume the guest house is through the arch, behind the main house, and we know Higgins' bedroom is on the second floor of the estate, it may be one of the rooms that looks out over the circular gravel area outside the main door. If that is the case, TM may in fact downshift and accelerate as he is going through the arched driveway to where we know there is garage space behind the house. The archway is very narrow, it is conceivable that TM slows as he approaches it, to get the right line, then downshifts and accelerates through it to the back of the house. Higgins would therefore be saying he won't do that exact same thing. It is plausible, seeing as how we never see just how far behind the archway the guest house supposedly is, that one is driving right past the guest house when one gets to the back side of the archway.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Magnum: It is obviously a very sad case. She has a deep psychological hatred for men. Now, I knew that instinctively when I sat down so I simply apologized and left.
Higgins: Really? She seemed extremely well-adjusted and perceptive to me.

Magnum: I knew I was taking a terrible gamble sneaking back. If I was right, Jennifer and her cohort would make their move and I'd stop them. If I was wrong, well, I'd be losing a lot. Higgins was a stubborn, tyrannical snob but for some crazy reason, I knew I'd miss him.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote: I think there's another way to look at this. If we assume the guest house is through the arch, behind the main house, and we know Higgins' bedroom is on the second floor of the estate, it may be one of the rooms that looks out over the circular gravel area outside the main door.
It is. We see exactly which room Higgins sleeps in during the nightmare scene in "Foiled Again." As Magnum pulls up in the driveway, the light goes on in Higgins' bedroom and it does indeed overlook the turnaround circular area of the driveway. It's the first window on the left as you face the house.
If that is the case, TM may in fact downshift and accelerate as he is going through the arched driveway to where we know there is garage space behind the house. The archway is very narrow, it is conceivable that TM slows as he approaches it, to get the right line, then downshifts and accelerates through it to the back of the house. Higgins would therefore be saying he won't do that exact same thing. It is plausible, seeing as how we never see just how far behind the archway the guest house supposedly is, that one is driving right past the guest house when one gets to the back side of the archway.
Except Higgins was going to drive the Audi, which is an automatic. This is a good theory but I still think it's just JQH taking the opportunity to be sarcastic. :lol:

However, I must say the guest house must be pretty close to the main house because Higgins is able to hear the stereo and TV from the main house. (Letter to a Duchess, Rembrandt’s Girl)
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by ENSHealy »

K Hale wrote:
☨magnum.t wrote:I remember he did it to J. Digger and the Ballerina in "The Sixth Position" although the later could be argued it was mutual lol
Def mutual... but I don't recall the Digger one?
Here they both are:

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."