2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 127

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Woman on the Beach (2.3)

#61 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I always liked supernatural/ghost/otherworldly-type episodes of TV shows in the 70's and early 80's. Of course, now we know it's all nonsense, but back then it was interesting to think that there were possibilities beyond the boring tedium of ordinary reality.

That's why this is probably one of my most remembered Magnum episodes back in the 80's. It's not as good as I remembered - probably because of Judith Chapman's soap-opera-style acting and the annoying fake elderly Jewish caretaker. But it's far from being one of the worst episodes.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#62 Post by marlboro »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I always liked supernatural/ghost/otherworldly-type episodes of TV shows in the 70's and early 80's. Of course, now we know it's all nonsense, but back then it was interesting to think that there were possibilities beyond the boring tedium of ordinary reality.

That's why this is probably one of my most remembered Magnum episodes back in the 80's. It's not as good as I remembered - probably because of Judith Chapman's soap-opera-style acting and the annoying fake elderly Jewish caretaker. But it's far from being one of the worst episodes.

Kolchak fan?

The German caretaker was played by the late great Kenneth Mars of Young Frankenstein fame.

He was also in another supernatural themed MPI episode called "Fragments."

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#63 Post by Pahonu »

marlboro wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:I always liked supernatural/ghost/otherworldly-type episodes of TV shows in the 70's and early 80's. Of course, now we know it's all nonsense, but back then it was interesting to think that there were possibilities beyond the boring tedium of ordinary reality.

Kolchak fan?

The German caretaker was played by the late great Kenneth Mars of Young Frankenstein fame.

Loved Kolchack: The Night Stalker!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

marlboro wrote:Kolchak fan?

[image]

I took a look at Kolchak recently, but couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe I just watched the wrong episode.

Yes, I knew Kenneth Mars was in Fragments (another episode I liked), but I didn't know the (annoyingly fake) caretaker was also him.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by ENSHealy »

A couple notes:

There's an error on the Episode Summary from the full show DVD set. It says "Kenneth Mars appears as Henry Ellison." Mr. Mars is, of course, the overacting gardener, and Mr. Ellison is actually played by Jack Hogan.

The scene with the librarian and Thomas' "Why would she think that?": of course, no one has dared speak the obvious here...but perhaps it's a wink and a nod to all the rumors that Tom Selleck...how shall we say it? Bats for the other team, as it were.

Did anyone else notice the very obvious musical reference to the theme from the movie Halloween? During two "suspenseful" scenes at the Clifford estate, the music is a veritable paean to the movie theme. And fitting of course, since this episode first aired October 22, 1981. (One wonders why didn't switch it out with Moscow to Maui and run it on the 29th instead.)

And finally, a question: when Rick and Magnum go to Lisa's house, and Lisa discovers Thomas has found her white flowing gown, Lisa gets angry and tosses them out. Why? It's clear to all she's the one "haunting" the estate, and of course later she admits it. Why not come clean with them now and ask for their assistance in outing Henry? It would seem that Thomas and Rick would be less likely to publicly out her as the ghost (thereby ruining her whole effort) if she took them into her confidence. Especially since the next thing that happens is that Henry Ellison comes after her. Seems like she wouldn't mind a little protection at that point. Not a big deal, but it never seemed to fit to me.

All in all though, a great episode.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by ENSHealy »

Just remembered one more thing: in this episode we see the sign that the KKC was founded in 1905....however, remember the Curse of the KKC? In that episode, Sidney Dollinger talks about how he founded the club "for the people" and that's why he leases the land to the club for only $2000 per month. Let's assume that Sidney is 85 at the time (the actor playing him, Lew Ayres, was only 72 or 73 when the episode was filmed). That would have made him 10 years old in 1905. A little young for founding a posh club, don't you think? The He Man Woman Haters Club, maybe, but not the KKC!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#67 Post by K Hale »

Doc Ibold wrote:
grundle wrote:The Pittsburgh RTN station played the complete original broadcast version of "The Woman On The Beach" yesterday. It had the opening teaser and the season 2 opening. There were only 3 commercial breaks.

I see that "Vulgarian Visigoth" is a ranking that posters here get after a certain number of posts. That's from this episode.

They never did an official Halloween episode, but in terms of the spirit of what the episode is about, I think this one was the closest. I know that "Of Sound Mind" had a costume party, but storywise, "The Woman On The Beach" is more Halloween themed.

I really love the weather in this episode too. More than any other episdoe, this one does the best job of consistently showing how great the weather in Hawaii is, in every single outside scene. I guess part of that is due to the fact that so many scenes that take place in the garden.
Hey grundle,

It's not necessarily a rank that you can attain through a certain number of posts (technically). When I reached Admiral, and noticed IH's "Master Flub Spotter" rank, I asked how he got it, James got generous, and then all of us Admirals had the choice to get a custom rank. My offbeat sense of humor chose "Vulgarian Visigoth", right after I saw that episode.

I kinda think it fits, given my posting style

:lol:
Is... is this still on offer?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#68 Post by K Hale »

.45caliber wrote:Seaver41, I agree that they should have had the ghost respond in someway, like a thanks or something. Great episode though, just watched it.

By the by, the girl that played the clerk at the library or hall of records, whatever it was, she was really hot. I wonder why she thought TM didn't care about pretty women? She was wrong.
Because she had been trying to get his attention while he was reading. He ignored her efforts, so she concluded he must be gay. It was an amusing turnaround of the common trope of a woman rejecting a man and him concluding it must be because she’s a lesbian.

Just rewatched this excellent episode. I did want to mention that the house is the same one used in “Skin Deep” from season 1. The front door is very distinctive so I’m sure other people realized this, haha, but I didn’t see it mentioned in the thread.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Chris109 »

John Hillerman played the hotel manager in What's Up, Doc? from 1972.

Ken Mars played Hugh.

And if anyone saw this movie, Mars is in front of the judge and is asked his name. He pronounced it "you".

He says:

"I am Hugh."

Judge asks, "You are me?"

"I...am...Hugh."

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Only thing I found weird about that movie was that Hillerman's character waited until the morning after Ryan O'Neal's hotel room burnt down to throw him out. If that were Higgins, he'd take no time whatsoever. :lol:

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#71 Post by Mark R.Y. »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Only thing I found weird about that movie was that Hillerman's character waited until the morning after Ryan O'Neal's hotel room burnt down to throw him out. If that were Higgins, he'd take no time whatsoever. :lol:
Hillerman: We would appreciate it if you would check out.
O'Neal: When?
Hillerman: Yesterday.
O'Neal: That soon?

:lol:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by ENSHealy »

2.3 THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Magnum Body Count: 1
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Shirtless:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings: .5 Higgins starts but Thomas cuts him off
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations: 1.5 They’re negotiating over the same thing, but there are two separate scenes.
Higgins Organizations: 1 Anglo Hawaiian Shakespeare Society
Famous guest stars: .5 Kenneth Mars
Magnumometer: 5.5

Potential magnumania usernames: Sarah Clifford

How does Lisa/Sarah know that Thomas will be at the estate when she does the "haunting"?
Milton Collins wrote:And not long after when Magnum is sitting on Higgins desk trying to grab a cigar and some info, Higgins comes around and pushes him off and takes the cigar. It's comical how much contempt (mostly undeserved in my opinion!) Higgins had for Magnum especially in the early episodes.
Sorry old stick, but it wasn't a cigar, it was one of the figurines from the little stage set-up on Higgins desk. After he takes it from TM, he puts it back on the "stage".
Flubs
1 After Rick gets shot, Magnum ask's him if he's ok and Rick says, "I'm ok, I'm fine." When Rick says this line his lips are not moving! (Noted by Mark Seaman)
I'm not sure I'm on board with this. Rick's face is partially obscured during these lines by Lisa/Sarah's arm. You can't really tell if his lips are moving or not. Although it's clear that both his line and TM's "Rick you OK?" were added in post. For what it's worth, you can't really see TM's lips move either. In both cases, their faces are pretty small on the screen and they are moving at the time. I don't think it's a for-sure flub.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Chris109 »

ENSHealy wrote:Flubs
1 After Rick gets shot, Magnum ask's him if he's ok and Rick says, "I'm ok, I'm fine." When Rick says this line his lips are not moving! (Noted by Mark Seaman)
This is one line I've never understood all throughout time. Someone get hurt, be it shot or falling off a roof or blowing out their knee (you get the point), someone always comes up and asks "Are you okay?"
Response would be, "No, you stupid cow! I'VE BEEN SHOT!"

The other line would be, when driving in a chase or trying to get away from a 'tail' and cars start speeding, the comment would be, "Hang on!"
Well, no chit, Cherlock. Of course I'm gonna hang on. What am I gonna do? Have my arms flailing out the window ?

brianw
Rear Admiral

#74 Post by brianw »

I like this ep a lot. Funny scenes with Rick getting stood up and the guys laughing about it. Also love the digging scene and the ending with Vulgarian Visigoth and the woman on the beach...I remember seeing this ep when I was a kid, and I wanted a pair of low-top Pumas like TM's soooooo bad. Funny about Judith Chapman too, as she is still on TV almost every day on daytime soaps. She was on Y&R for a bit and now she is on DOOL.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Chris109 »

brianw wrote:I like this ep a lot. Funny scenes with Rick getting stood up and the guys laughing about it. Also love the digging scene and the ending with Vulgarian Visigoth and the woman on the beach...I remember seeing this ep when I was a kid, and I wanted a pair of low-top Pumas like TM's soooooo bad. Funny about Judith Chapman too, as she is still on TV almost every day on daytime soaps. She was on Y&R for a bit and now she is on DOOL.
General Hospital from the 80's.