It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

How Would You Rate This Episode?
10 (Perfect!) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
9.5 (One of the Best) 13%  13%  [ 11 ]
9.0 (Excellent) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
8.5 (Very Good) 21%  21%  [ 18 ]
8.0 (Pretty Good) 25%  25%  [ 22 ]
7.5 (Decent) 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
7.0 (Average at Best) 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
6.5 (Not So Good) 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
6.0 (Pretty Bad) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
5.0 (Just Awful) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 87
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Milton Collins wrote:
Decent episode but nothing more. The best part for me is:

Tm and Higgins "kudu buck/Horace interactions" highlighted "Would you join me in a brandy and soda?" Higgins "No I had a whiskey earlier perhaps I will retire." ha ha ha
I laugh at this every time I watch this episode:)

I always loved that scene too. Higgins has a humorous pause between saying, "I had a whisky after lunch...perhaps that should suffice." as he seemingly contemplates his sanity after hearing the goat repeatedly. Nice, subtle work by John Hillerman!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 am 
Ensign

Hi Friends,

Enjoyable but pretty simple plot. However, the beautiful actress and her sexy voice add some glamour to this episode. I think TM has not dated her because of her dead father. TM is a very respectful guy - he doesn't want scholarship money nor takes advantages of a broken heart.

José

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:14 am 
Fleet Admiral

Just watched this one with my son and he noticed that Magnum told Marion to grab the "rope" when they were pulling up to Dr. Martinez' Whaler in the King Kam I. He realized any sailor and surely a former naval officer like Magnum should have called it a "line". Technically it was the anchor "rode", but I was impressed he noticed it. We've sailed quite a bit together over the years, including on a Cal 20 like the one shown at the very beginning of the episode.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:57 am 
Captain

I never used to know a damn thing about sailing. The biggest "boat" I ever had was a $39 inflatable dinghy. Then a few years ago I got a small sailboat and taught myself to sail. Now when I watch the old TV shows and movies, I notice flaws all over the place.

"What the hell? He can't tack through the wind with his sails rigged like that!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:51 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
I never used to know a damn thing about sailing. The biggest "boat" I ever had was a $39 inflatable dinghy. Then a few years ago I got a small sailboat and taught myself to sail. Now when I watch the old TV shows and movies, I notice flaws all over the place.

"What the hell? He can't tack through the wind with his sails rigged like that!"

Nice to have a fellow sailor onboard, pun intended. :lol: And you're totally right about all the mistakes made on shows.

What kind of boat do you have? I have 1968 Columbia 28 sloop I bought in 2003. Lots of work done to her over the years. I've been sailing for close to 20 years now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm 
Captain

I looked up your boat. Nice. Unlike mine, you can actually sleep in that boat and get out of the weather. My "sailboat" is just a 15ft catamaran. (...and I'm not quite a real sailor yet.)

Here's a picture of it in front of my house, parked on a sand bar. ("Everybody remember where we parked!")

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 pm 
Fleet Admiral

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
I looked up your boat. Nice. Unlike mine, you can actually sleep in that boat and get out of the weather. My "sailboat" is just a 15ft catamaran. (...and I'm not quite a real sailor yet.)

Here's a picture of it in front of my house, parked on a sand bar. ("Everybody remember where we parked!")

Nice! Right by your place. Mine is too. It's slipped at the marina where I live, about one minute away. :D You're a real sailor on a cat, especially if you've flown one hull.

I learned to sail on a friend's father's Hobie 16 cat back in the 90's. That was on a lake, but they sail them right through the surf here in Long Beach. What type is yours? Does it have a trapeze? I only used one a few times. I'm getting too old for that now!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 pm 
Captain

It doesn't have a trapeze. It's not really meant for severe sports sailing. (though I have had it on one hull, but luckily didn't tip over)

The main advantage is that unlike the Hobie, you don't need a trailer. It completely disassembles and can be loaded on a car roof. Also, you can remove the sails and row it like a row boat. The best thing is that it's basically unsinkable. (...or at least I assume so :P )

Here's the site: http://www.x-cat.com/

I just hope I don't get caught in the Molokai Express. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 am 
Fleet Admiral

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
It doesn't have a trapeze. It's not really meant for severe sports sailing. (though I have had it on one hull, but luckily didn't tip over)

The main advantage is that unlike the Hobie, you don't need a trailer. It completely disassembles and can be loaded on a car roof. Also, you can remove the sails and row it like a row boat. The best thing is that it's basically unsinkable. (...or at least I assume so :P )

Here's the site: http://www.x-cat.com/

I just hope I don't get caught in the Molokai Express. :D

That's a pretty clever rig. I've never seen a single rudder on cat before. I wouldn't get that windward hull too high out of the water either. You'd lose a lot of control as the rudder began lifting out!

I just noticed you're Canadian. My parents were both from Quebec, but they came out here to SoCal long ago, in 1965. It's where I've lived (and sailed) most of my life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:38 pm 
Captain

Pahonu wrote:
I wouldn't get that windward hull too high out of the water either. You'd lose a lot of control as the rudder began lifting out!

Good point. Another tricky thing on the XCAT is the aluminum centre bar - needed for the sliding seat rowing - but you end up bashing your knees and legs on it as you shift side to side when sailing. (I need to buy some shin guards.)

Yes, I'm Canadian. That's why I often use the Higgins quote, "I'm not a bloody American." :P

Actually, my sister lives in Southern California. Lots of Canadians move down there ...mainly the wimps who can't handle the Canadian cold! :wink: It's fun sailing in -30˚C winds past icebergs with fingers frozen by ice spray. (...well... not really)

Edit: Here's what my "front yard" looks like right now:
It's not really possible to sail on this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7