No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1) (1.1)

#81 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a great way to set up the series. It introduced the regulars in a great way as well as setting the tone of the show as a drama with comedy mixed into it. I wish that they'd have incorporated Dan Cook references more often into future episodes since he seemed to be tightly entertwined with Magnum, Rick, and TC. I always enjoy when Magnum interacts with the Navy and there was a lot of it from the begining to establish what would make him a great private investigator.

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re:

#82 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Doc Ibold wrote:OK James, maybe you (or anyone else) can answer this for me....

So in the pilot, we have Dan Cook established as a good guy who's looking to take down Le Bull, but is tragically killed when he's punched in the gut and ingested cocaine packets burst in his abdomen, causing him to overdose and subsequently die.

HOWEVER, if Dan is such a good guy, how did the packets get into his stomach?

He obviously wouldn't have taken them voluntarily, and lets assume he was drugged or something, don't you think he would have some recollection of being drugged/knocked out/etc before he jetted over to Hawaii?

I love the show, but this was the one glaring plot hole I've noticed.

Anyonw else think this was a bit weird?

Aside from that, I think this pilot was awesome and pretty much sets up the Magnuverse (even though Higgin's has some sort of Pirate/Scottish accent when we're first introduced to him, and TC is an utter hornball).

:lol:

I had just though of this and was wondering if anyone else out there had some sort of logical reason for the Cocaine getting in the stomach of the late Lt. Cook

They never did mention that did they....the episode focused on TM trying to clear his name.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by charybdis1966 »

After watching MPI for all these years from the early 1980's I finally get to see part 1 of the pilot, which bizarrely ITV4 then went straight onto China Doll afterwards and they failed to show part 2.

Most eye catching part of it ? The visiting stewardesses ! And Pamela SS was no slouch either.

But turning to the actual story itself you can see how the characters hadn't quite been fleshed out and that Higgy baby's accent was still a work in progress and J Hillerman was a slimmer figure than he would become by the 4th season and he'd dispensed with the riding crop.

Estate resident
Captain

#84 Post by Estate resident »

Am I correct in that ep. 1 is the ony time Ms Anderson allowed indoor filming? At the 4:00 mark Higgins is seen running down the stairs. Is this indeed the inside of Robin's Nest...or just another set?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Sam »

Hi Estate resident,

The pilot was filmed at the Marks Estate.

edit..

It should be noted that the indoor scenes of the main house at Robin's Nest in the "Pilot Movie" were actually filmed at The Marks Estate in the Nuuanu Valley, not at the Anderson Estate (or on a soundstage).

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/Robins_Nest.html

Scotophor
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#86 Post by Scotophor »

Regarding the wearing of the team ring, no one else pointed out that when Magnum removes the ring from Leboulle's left hand, he's wearing his own on his right hand.

Member Agatha wrote, "We feel like we're being let in on a secret when Thomas threatens to tell what Rick's name really is and then later, TC tells us that it's Orville." Did anyone else notice Higgins' reaction when he hears it, repeating "Orville?", indicating that he didn't previously know what it was either?

Finally, some additional info regarding flub #7 from the episode guide for part 1: "When Thomas is waiting for Alice to arrive at the airport, the shot of the plane landing shows a white aircraft with a red stripe and a blue underbelly. In the next shot, as Thomas looks out at the plane, it's metallic grey."

-Not only is it odd that the plane changes its paint scheme, the first version is totally unbelievable too... it's the Boeing factory/delivery scheme! Behind/below the cockpit, it reads "BOEING 747", and "747" is also on the tail, those are the only texts large enough to be legible, and there are no graphic logos at all. The only people who would be likely to be on board a plane flying marked that way would be either Boeing employees, or employees of the airline to which it was being delivered (before being repainted to the airline's livery). Certainly not paying passengers!

-Clearly this was a poor choice of which stock footage to use by the makers. In at least one later episode is another slightly less obvious poor choice of stock footage, but I'll need to re-watch to find exactly which episode(s). The clip I have in mind is a view from a camera mounted to the underside of a plane, near the tail, looking forward at the landing gear as the plane touches down. The problem? The landing gear is very distinctive and does not belong to a civilian, or even passenger aircraft. The nose gear, instead of being a single strut with dual wheels mounted on the aircraft's centerline, is TWO struts on either side of the aircraft, each having dual wheels. The only plane I'm familiar with having nose gear like that is the B-52 bomber!
This signature intentionally left blank.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#87 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Scotophor wrote:Regarding the wearing of the team ring, no one else pointed out that when Magnum removes the ring from Leboulle's left hand, he's wearing his own on his right hand.

Member Agatha wrote, "We feel like we're being let in on a secret when Thomas threatens to tell what Rick's name really is and then later, TC tells us that it's Orville." Did anyone else notice Higgins' reaction when he hears it, repeating "Orville?", indicating that he didn't previously know what it was either?

Finally, some additional info regarding flub #7 from the episode guide for part 1: "When Thomas is waiting for Alice to arrive at the airport, the shot of the plane landing shows a white aircraft with a red stripe and a blue underbelly. In the next shot, as Thomas looks out at the plane, it's metallic grey."

-Not only is it odd that the plane changes its paint scheme, the first version is totally unbelievable too... it's the Boeing factory/delivery scheme! Behind/below the cockpit, it reads "BOEING 747", and "747" is also on the tail, those are the only texts large enough to be legible, and there are no graphic logos at all. The only people who would be likely to be on board a plane flying marked that way would be either Boeing employees, or employees of the airline to which it was being delivered (before being repainted to the airline's livery). Certainly not paying passengers!

-Clearly this was a poor choice of which stock footage to use by the makers. In at least one later episode is another slightly less obvious poor choice of stock footage, but I'll need to re-watch to find exactly which episode(s). The clip I have in mind is a view from a camera mounted to the underside of a plane, near the tail, looking forward at the landing gear as the plane touches down. The problem? The landing gear is very distinctive and does not belong to a civilian, or even passenger aircraft. The nose gear, instead of being a single strut with dual wheels mounted on the aircraft's centerline, is TWO struts on either side of the aircraft, each having dual wheels. The only plane I'm familiar with having nose gear like that is the B-52 bomber!
Nice observations Scotophor. Thanks!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by steveadl »

ConchRepublican wrote:The Pilot episode is one of my go to episodes when I need my Magnum fix. I agree, it has just about everything we love about the series.

I also like the way it was shot. There was more of a movie quality about the episode to me. I don't know if it was the film used, the equipment, I'm not technical that way, but know it had a "feel".

As for the license, I don't think we can call that a true flub. I always considered the Pilot a little different, even the Estate interiors were different.
You're right. I don't know the technicals of how/what they do differently, but it is filmed and appears more like a movie.

That way if the show wasn't picked up by a network for a continuing series, the producers could still get some money back by selling in various markets and platforms as a telemovie.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#89 Post by marlboro »

I noticed the same thing about the Hawaii 50 pilot. The camera work was much more sophisticated than what you would typically see in a tv show of the time. By the second episode all that was ditched unfortunately.

rsswg
Ensign

#90 Post by rsswg »

Great Pilot

Fat Jack
Captain

#91 Post by Fat Jack »

Sorry if this has been posted before...here's the TV Guide promo for "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii". Bring back any memories? When I was a kid I used to love TV Guide's promos for upcoming shows...

Scotophor
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#92 Post by Scotophor »

Scotophor wrote:In at least one later episode is another slightly less obvious poor choice of stock footage, but I'll need to re-watch to find exactly which episode(s). The clip I have in mind is a view from a camera mounted to the underside of a plane, near the tail, looking forward at the landing gear as the plane touches down. The problem? The landing gear is very distinctive and does not belong to a civilian, or even passenger aircraft. The nose gear, instead of being a single strut with dual wheels mounted on the aircraft's centerline, is TWO struts on either side of the aircraft, each having dual wheels. The only plane I'm familiar with having nose gear like that is the B-52 bomber!
I'm revisiting this topic to report that I was probably mistaken in believing that the clip described above was shown in an MPI episode. I've just seen it again a few days ago... in an installment of "Banacek", entitled "Fly Me -- If You Can Find Me".

The B-52 landing gear shot was cut into two segments shown during the reenactment of the missing plane's emergency landing, about 10 minutes from the end of the episode. First shown was a brief bit including the touchdown (with a small amount of tire smoke), then after a cut back to the cockpit, a longer clip of the plane slowing down on the runway.

I probably confused in my mind which show the clip was in because at the time of my original post, as now, I followed several different classic TV series that I've either forgotten, or never watched when they were current.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#93 Post by Danny Lin »

On the ring worn upside down:

Wow! First post on the first episode in over 21 months! Hard to believe, right?

Much has been said about this episode already, but there´s something that wasn´t mentioned yet:

There was a discussion about the question on which hand the team ring had to be worn, left or right (posts on page 4, posts 2,3,4,5,8 and 9). It was observed that different persons at different occasions wore the ring on the right or left hand.

It hasn´t been observed yet that there´s a scene in which the ring is worn upside down!

When Thomas is chased in the Ferrari by the two thugs following him from the yacht harbour, shortly after leaving the tunnel and being shot at in the curve (shots hitting the wall in the foreground) it is shown how Thomas shifts gears. In this scene the ring is clearly worn upside down. A second later, after the next cut, Thomas is shown through the front screen, the right hand back on the steering wheel. Here the ring is worn as in all other scenes by all other persons: the lower end of the Cross of Lorraine towards the finger tip.

Possibly the car wasn´t even driven by Thomas himself when the scene shifting gears was shot. The Thomas-double could have put on the ring the wrong way without anyone realizing.

Same can be watched in the trailer. There are two scenes from the car chasing, shifting gears, separated by one scene showing the cockpit, shown in the upper left corner of the screen. At the very beginning of the second shifting scene you can clearly observe that the ring is worn upside down.

Any observations according this from other episodes anyone?
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#94 Post by Danny Lin »

On the mentioning of the stables:
golfmobile wrote:

Anyway, once he gets in the guesthouse and is surprised by Higgins and the lads, they negotiate for use of the "stables and tennis court." WHAT STABLES?? Is this ever mentioned again? Or are these Joey's stables???? (We shall never speak of him/the stables again???)

IslandHopper wrote:

Regarding the reference to the "stables", I think (but not sure) that there may have been a reference to the stables in the episode "Jororo Farewell" (Season 4), when Danny rode off with Agatha's horse. Higgins, I think, was in the study with Magnum or someone and they heard the horse, so there may have been a reference to the stables since Agatha's horse was presumably a resident in the stables. :?

The stables weren´t explicitly mentioned in "Jororo Farewell" but Agatha´s horse (Matilda) was in fact a resident on the estate as Higgins had promised Agatha to take care of the animal.

Certainly I can confirm that there are stables on the estate since I myself took Matilda from there before I handed her over to Benny who then left the estate in a gallop and made all the others follow him thinking Benny was me "running" away. :wink:

Danny Lin

(If the stables were mentioned in other episodes I don´t know.)
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#95 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnum being "introduced to us as a lazy beach bum".
MACattack wrote:It's really cool how Magnum is introduced to us as a lazy beach bum.

Even if Magnum is characterized less mature than in later episodes I don´t really think one could say that he is introduced as a lazy beach bum: Not only does he tell the audience, that and what he is doing for a living but he as well tells them that he has "done funnier..." which directly leads to a flashback to his service in Vietnam.

Not precisely the ways of a lazy beach bum I think.