No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#61 Post by timm525 »

Ferrari question here.

Sorry if this has been discussed. Could not find this info.

Just after the opening scene where TM drives through the gate with the dogs chasing him. He stops and you see him open the top on the Ferrari.

I always assumed it was a retractable soft top that went back into the rear roof part behind his head, but if you play it in slow motion, it clearly looks to me to be a hard top that goes above and behind the outside roof of the car.

My questions are: Where did this retract too? Is it a hard or soft top? Where is it stored? Or did a few guys standing outside by the car just take it? :lol:

Anyone have detailed info on how the Ferrari top works that they could share?

One other question I noticed too. Sorry if this has been discussed.

LT. Dan Cook was a SEAL like TM so why wasn't he wearing the SEAL "Budweiser" on his uniform when he got off the plane?

Ensign Healy is the same guy that played the cop that killed Kacy in Wave Goodbye.

I also liked how the hit man threw his ice cream cone into the back of the red convertible (MG?) parked next to his car when he went to chase TM from the docks!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#62 Post by Doc Ibold »

timm525 wrote:Ferrari question here.

Sorry if this has been discussed. Could not find this info.

Just after the opening scene where TM drives through the gate with the dogs chasing him. He stops and you see him open the top on the Ferrari.

I always assumed it was a retractable soft top that went back into the rear roof part behind his head, but if you play it in slow motion, it clearly looks to me to be a hard top that goes above and behind the outside roof of the car.

My questions are: Where did this retract too? Is it a hard or soft top? Where is it stored? Or did a few guys standing outside by the car just take it? :lol:

Anyone have detailed info on how the Ferrari top works that they could share?

One other question I noticed too. Sorry if this has been discussed.

LT. Dan Cook was a SEAL like TM so why wasn't he wearing the SEAL "Budweiser" on his uniform when he got off the plane?

Ensign Healy is the same guy that played the cop that killed Kacy in Wave Goodbye.

I also liked how the hit man threw his ice cream cone into the back of the red convertible (MG?) parked next to his car when he went to chase TM from the docks!
Hey timm... it didn't retract to anywhere. My guess is that TM just took the top off and threw it on the ground and drove off.

In further seasons, you can see where the SOFT top is buttoned behind the driver and passenger seats.

I'm not sure if the hard top was indicative of the '79 Ferrari alone and latter versions utilized the soft top.

I'll let someone else chime in on that one!

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by erock308 »

The Ferrari 308 GTS series only had hard Targa Tops and the snap flap behind the seat was the pocket for it.

I read somewhere once that a crew member on set grabbed the Targa Top from tom for dramatic effect, I think they got the point across... it was cool as hell ;{)
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

robspace54
Vice Admiral

#64 Post by robspace54 »

Let me take you back to those thrilling days of yesteryear when men were men, dogs could patrol, and the Ferrari's ran red!

Yesteryear 30 years ago, when Tom Selleck, as Thomas Magnum swam across the tidal pool, picked a lock, and opened that gate into our living rooms, there to find a stuffy majordomo, a chopper pilot, and a club manager all willing to help a certain private investigator solve crimes.

A guy from church told me the last time they were in Hawai'i he didn't see any muggers, murders, or car thefts, so Magnum must have done a good job! :D

Here's to you Tom, John, Roger, Larry and the entire production team for making these fictional adventures stick in our little gray cells for so long!
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Magnum T. »

Every Saga has a beginning!
The same happens with tv-series.
Last 12/11 I watched again the pilot as part of Magnum 30th Anniversary Celebration.
The opening Magnum-swimming sequence is a cool way to start the action.
During opening credits Ian Freebairn-Smith's theme is heard in a longer version, I must say I love this theme and the design of the sequence with the "Cross of Lorraine" layered over the video.
Obviously many recurring elements of the series are established in this pilot: above all, the relationship between TM and Higgins (and his beloved "lads") but also the friendship with Rick and T.C. and the Navy/Vietnam background.
One thing that was changed (and I am grateful for that) is Rick's club.
In the pilot he appears to be owner of the totally kitsch "Rick's Cafè Americain" (the link with "Casablanca" is obvious), while in the regular episodes he becomes the man in charge at "King Kamehameha Club", surely a more classy place.
Anyway, back to action, here it is one of my favourite moments (and TM's too, as far as we can see), Inge and Greta in their bikinis.
Robin Masters has good taste for sure in choosing his guests.
But another girl enters the scene, late Lt. Cook's pretty sister Alice, played by Pamela Susan Shoop (very good in this role).
Alice (who is clearly in love) and TM begin their quest to find out the reason behind Lt. Cook's death and finally catch the bad guy.
The story is spiced up by the beautiful hawaiian settings, pretty girls, car chasings, some romance, action, hilarious situations and dialogues.
In short, all the ingredients for a funny, entertaining series which will become a classic!

Plus: the whole package, except "Rick's Cafè Americain".
Minus: "Rick's Cafè Americain"
Best line:
Magnum: Don't look at the dogs, work the lock... (looks at dogs)... You looked at the dogs!

Note: in many tv-series of 70/80s it happens that the same actor is used to play different characters.
This thing bothers me because creates a sort of paradox into the "series universe". I think this should never be done.
We have three examples in MPI pilot with Jeff MacKay playing the role of Ski and, in subsequent episodes, the well-known role of Mac (and Jim Bonnick, but that was on purpose), W. K. Stratton as Ens. Healy here and Police Officer Kelly in "Wave Goodbye" (2.8) and Clyde Kusatsu, who plays a Navy Medical Examiner here and three other roles in various episodes, one being the John Wayne fanatic Police Lt. Gordon Katsumoto.

Funny thing #1: Pamela Susan Shoop and Fritz Weaver are in pilot episodes of two of my all-times favourite series, "Magnum, p.i." and "Wonder Woman".
Funny thing #2: I always wonder how the two idiotic thugs can chase a 308GTS with that piece of junk they have.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I loved "Magnum, p.i." growing up...but I don't remember seeing the "Pilot" or the first few episodes until years later in reruns. I don't think I started watching the show regularly until the 2nd or 3rd season.

As for the "Pilot" ("Don't Eat the Snow In Hawaii")...it was very good for the first episode! It introduced us to the star, Magnum, and who/what he was. It also gave us insight into his past, and past turmoils he had in Vietnam.

However, there were many episodes later (even in first season) that were better. I think this was the start, and they were just beginning to "iron" the wrinkles out, so-to-speak. I also did not really like the first original "Magnum" theme. :? To be honest, until the DVD sets came out, I did not remember the first theme. The producers, or whoever, definitely made the right choice to change it to what they did! The "true" and most remembered "Magnum" theme is superb!! :D

But, Tom Selleck is a superb actor...and the other characters on the show were also intriguing, funny, loveable, and everyone together made the show what it was! For a "pilot" episode..."Don't Eat the Snow In Hawaii" was very good...and that's what I rated it as. :) I'll probably put this same review/rating for Part 2.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Having watched the opening episodes again last night with a friend, I didn't think they were that good. Sometimes too ling-winded, and too many questions remain open. I am glad this changed pretty quickly in the next episodes, because otherwise I probably would never have continued watching.

One of the main questions (which has been sort of answered on one of the first pages) is, how the cocaine got into Dan's stomach in the first place.
Second, as mentioned just above, how could those two thugs keep up with a Ferrari in their piece of junk, where you can see the chrome trimmings coming off as they drive....
Also quite weak is the explanation how Magnum finds out it was Philippe... he just "felt" it. Come ooooon!

The show had some good lines, don't get me wrong, I don't find it all bad. One of the funniest bits was Magnum on the phone, getting his binoculars out at giggling like a schoolboy. This would only be half as funny with modern cordless phones!

Generally it was a good introduction of the characters, but definitely not among my favourite episodes.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Having watched the opening episodes again last night with a friend, I didn't think they were that good. Sometimes too ling-winded, and too many questions remain open. I am glad this changed pretty quickly in the next episodes, because otherwise I probably would never have continued watching.

One of the main questions (which has been sort of answered on one of the first pages) is, how the cocaine got into Dan's stomach in the first place.
Second, as mentioned just above, how could those two thugs keep up with a Ferrari in their piece of junk, where you can see the chrome trimmings coming off as they drive....
Also quite weak is the explanation how Magnum finds out it was Philippe... he just "felt" it. Come ooooon!

The show had some good lines, don't get me wrong, I don't find it all bad. One of the funniest bits was Magnum on the phone, getting his binoculars out at giggling like a schoolboy. This would only be half as funny with modern cordless phones!

Generally it was a good introduction of the characters, but definitely not among my favourite episodes.
I agree that there were still "wrinkles" to be ironed out, so-to-speak. The show did get much better, even in the next episode--which is one of my all-time favorites!

As for how the cocaine got into Dan's stomache....when those bad guys forced him into that car, didn't they shove the packets down his throat--then beat him, causing one of them to burst? It was all a set up to frame Dan.

I also laugh at that old "junker" Challenger keeping up chase with the Ferrari--NOT!!! :wink: But, that's just one of those little show-quirks that you laugh at and then just accept---after all, it's Magnum! :P I'm also sure the studio chose that car because it was no problem blowing it up over the cliff. :wink:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Seaver41 »

just watched rthis couple nights ago...........and it strikes me odd that after all these years I had forgotten that Cook was supposedly a very close friend of Magnum......even though he states as such. I guess what led to that was not seeing Magnum show much of anything in terms of a reaction. the biggest one he had was towards the Captain whom he hated already. I don't believe I saw the pilot first run......so over the decades it has been a different view for me each time. This time around I have a different perspective and found it odd that a buddy show did not show as much reverance to that relationship.......in both his reaction and the closing scene. I would've thought maybe showing him at the funeral or his 'little voice' saying more about him. Am I nitpicking? Maybe. But I guess that ks what you do when you see material again.

Plot was solid and gave a good backdrop to who Thomas Magnum was in present day and his past. It set up all kinds of directions for the series to take the character in.........which they did very well.

I noticed this and it might sound strange, but Selleck's body in this pilot never looked as muscular or defined again to my knowledge. Anyone else notice that? Muscle tone on his arms, abs, and legs were tip top.

what was the time lapse between the pilot being shot and the next episode? Selleck's body softened a hair, and Rick's hair was different.

snp389
Captain

#70 Post by snp389 »

One of the best PILOT tv shows ever!
I love the scene, after TM has been speaking to Dan's sister Alice at the rocky coast, when he bursts into Capt. Cooly's office and yells
"WHAT'S THIS CRAP ABOUT DAN COOK SMUGGLING COKE?!?"
Last edited by snp389 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Braddah Kimo »

"the last time they were in Hawai'i he didn't see any muggers, murders, or car thefts, so Magnum must have done a good job! " Thanx Mag! ya made them hide better!

Chance
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#72 Post by Chance »

First post! Been watching Magnum excessively for a year now (but was a fan back in the day) and am now at the point where I am engaging in the critical viewing that's already yielded a wealth of informative posts from other members. I'll try not to embarrass myself when posting, then.

Regarding the Challenger's perceived inability to keep up with the 308 GTS, Dodge offered a number of hot V8 engine options that certainly could have made the clunker a competitive chase machine. Indeed, the particular car used in this episode has a raw and throaty sound to it, so it likely had one of the larger V8 options available. If it had the Magnum (ha!) 440, there's no doubt it would have blown the doors off the Ferrari, at least in a straight line. Certainly the Ferrari would disappear when the roads got twisty, though a Beau Van Den Ecker-piloted Challenger would certainly give it a pretty good run.

Higgins-esque anecdote to support all this nonsense: Many years ago, my father purchased an old Plymouth Gran Fury from a police auction and it had the 440 with a six-pack (three 2-barrel carburetors). The Gran Fury was a larger, heavier car than the Challenger, and I can assure you it had the ability to hastily spin its "certified" speedometer all the way to the right side peg, which was an indicated 140 MPH. A very, VERY scary car to be capable of such speeds.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Love car info. keep it coming! Taaanx!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Magnum T. »

@Chance
Hi, welcome to the forum.
About the cars, I don't konw if a Challenger could stand against a 308, maybe.
But in movies and TV look matters and that car is (looks) in such a bad shape to make not believable the chasing scene.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by MaximRecoil »

Magnum T. wrote: Funny thing #2: I always wonder how the two idiotic thugs can chase a 308GTS with that piece of junk they have.
Visiting Stewardess wrote: Second, as mentioned just above, how could those two thugs keep up with a Ferrari in their piece of junk, where you can see the chrome trimmings coming off as they drive....
MaiTaiMan wrote: I also laugh at that old "junker" Challenger keeping up chase with the Ferrari--NOT!!! :wink: But, that's just one of those little show-quirks that you laugh at and then just accept---after all, it's Magnum! :P I'm also sure the studio chose that car because it was no problem blowing it up over the cliff. :wink:
That car was a 1970 (pre-emissions era) Dodge Challenger V8. There were 3 factory engine options for the "V8" version of the Challenger: 318, 340, and 383. A Challenger with a 340 or a 383 would be more than a match for a '79 Ferrari 308.

That Ferrari wasn't particularly fast by American muscle car standards. It did the quarter mile in 15.8 seconds. By comparison, had that Challenger been an R/T version equipped with the top factory engine option (426 Hemi [8 bbl.]), it would have done the quarter mile in 13.1 seconds, or with the second highest engine option (440 [6 bbl.]), 13.6 seconds.

Since it was the "V8" version, and not the "R/T" version, it wouldn't have had a 426, 440, or even the 4 bbl. version of the 383 (unless modified by the owner, or possibly custom ordered as a "sleeper" from the factory). However, with a 340 (4 bbl., all 340s were at least 4 bbl., as they were all built as high-performance engines), it would do 14.8 seconds in the quarter mile (a full second faster than Magnum's Ferrari), and with the 383 (2 bbl.) it would do 15.1 seconds. Even with the lowly 318 (2 bbl.), it would have done 16.1 seconds in the quarter mile, fast enough to more or less keep up with that Ferrari.