No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1) (1.1)

#101 Post by Danny Lin »

On Fritz Weavers acting:

On the thread for episode 2 (page 6, post 2) Little Garwood wrote:

Little Garwood wrote:

Other notable supporting actors include Fritz Weaver (Captain Cooly). Weaver has a small but important role. Actingwise, Weaver mops the floor with Selleck in their one big scene together. Baa Baa Black Sheep member and Bellisario stock actor W.K. Stratton plays a rare good guy in his Ensign Healy role. He shares a nice scene with Pamela Susan Shoop out in the rain.

I totally agree! Actingwise I found Weavers role the most convincing in this episode. The comparatively short scenes with Ensign Healy in the morgue and Thomas at the office added quite some drama to the plot!
Last edited by Danny Lin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#102 Post by Danny Lin »

On the beer they drank in the first and second episode:

If someone knows which beer Thomas drank in the first and second episode it would be nice if you would post an answer to my post on the beer thread (page 4, post 8):

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=30
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#103 Post by Danny Lin »

Question on "Pali Highway" and "Lanai Lookout":

When Magnum asks Rick for a couple of favours at the phone, he mentions that two guys tried to run him off Pali Highway and that they deep sixed about a mile past Lanai Lookout.

As far as I can see, Lanai Lookout IRL is situated at the Kalanianaole Highway, far away from Pali Highway. I don´t really have an idea why the writers would need to go and push around known locations like this.

Does know more about this? Am I mistaken at some point?

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#104 Post by Danny Lin »

On "unkeen" Lads:

Watching this episode it always bugs me how the Lads who are supposed to be after Magnum when he tries to steal the Ferrari, clearly are not keen on getting him at all but focussed on something taking place in front of the car in the sequence right after Thomas succeeded to open the Ferrari and jumped into it.

They really could have put some more effort into making that sequence look realistic. :? :?

plateglass
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#105 Post by plateglass »

Hey guys! I'm new to the fourm. I just had a question about the guard at the Navy gate Thomas goes through to pick up his buddy. Is that guard Mac from future episodes? His name is different Thanks
Hi Guy

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by 308GUY »

Yes....and welcome to MM. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Sam »

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#108 Post by marlboro »

Wait, are we sure that isn't really Jim Bonnick?

plateglass
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#109 Post by plateglass »

Thanks for the welcome guys! I am really enjoying binge watching the series and then checking back to the site for insight!! Enjoy your Labor Day
Hi Guy

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#110 Post by Sam »

Have you seen the episode guide?

http://magnum-mania.com/Episodes/Episodes.html

plateglass
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#111 Post by plateglass »

Yes, I have. I love looking for the flubs :D that the members point out, and then searching for my own. I love the pause button on the DVR!!
Hi Guy

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#112 Post by rasgards »

I've been re-watching all the episodes starting with the Pilot of course. I think they did a great job with the pilot introducing characters and showcasing the island, tying into Vietnam and the "Team". Classic Magnum themes and narration. One of the things I love about the Magnum character is he kind of a big kid, likes to have fun, is humble, but when need be, he gets down to business and does what needs to be done. This episode does a great job at setting up that dynamic.
Ras G

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#113 Post by marlboro »

rasgards wrote:I've been re-watching all the episodes starting with the Pilot of course. I think they did a great job with the pilot introducing characters and showcasing the island, tying into Vietnam and the "Team". Classic Magnum themes and narration. One of the things I love about the Magnum character is he kind of a big kid, likes to have fun, is humble, but when need be, he gets down to business and does what needs to be done. This episode does a great job at setting up that dynamic.

Yep. A lot of shows seem to take a long time to find their sea legs (sometimes multiple seasons) but Magnum really hit the ground running.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#114 Post by ENSHealy »

I wanted to touch on the cocaine in Dan's stomach one more time (it's interesting to note that the first question on this subject was asked almost 11 years ago). It's the one part of the pilot movie that has always stuck in my craw.

Since we're given no direct evidence, we have to assume that the "Hawaiian King Kong" (as Rick later refers to him at the "Snow Palace") and his sidekick force the coke down Dan's throat. But that just seems so unlikely. Is it even possible to force someone to swallow 10 packs of coke against their will? I'm thinking maybe one is possible, tops. At some point, don't you think Dan would have realized what they were up to and would have resisted? At which point, it would have been nigh-on-impossible to "force" him to swallow them. The only thing I can think to resolve this is that they somehow got Dan to voluntarily swallow the packets, with some kind of trick, scheme, promise or blackmail tactic. Then they beat him up to burst the packets.

Although, to add more fuel to the fire of doubt on this whole manner of homicide, it seems unlikely that soft plastic packets of coke would be burst by punches to the gut. Wouldn't the blows would have been diffused by the muscle tissue of the abdomen? I suppose if they were stuffed almost to the bursting point to start with and then the blows to the stomach caused them to be forced against a rib or vertebra, perhaps that might do it? Still, it seems a stretch. We need a medical examiner (one who doesn't moonlight as a John Wayne impersonator) to look into this for us!

There was also some discussion on what the three wars could be in the 30 years before 1980. One theory offered was that Thomas just through out 30 years as his own rough approximation of the length of Cooly's career. However, it was Cooly that introduced the 30 year number, not Thomas, when Cooly said "It took 3 wars and thirty years" to get his scrambled eggs (the braiding on the visor of the hat). Thomas just throws the 30 year figure back at Cooly with his "egg-sucking" jibe. You get the scrambled eggs at Commander, and Cooly's a Captain. So it took him 30 years to get Commander (and the scrambled eggs), then he had to earn Captain, and presumably he's not a newly minted captain. So your looking at a career more than long enough to get him back to WWII.

But as always, I feel like I have to add the disclaimer that none of the above takes any of the shine off a great two hours of television entertainment! It's just a great way to pass the time for Magnum geeks! Because we know we'd never have let those plot loose ends sneak through! If only we'd been on the writing team!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#115 Post by marlboro »

Fritiz Weaver, the actor who played Cooly, was born in 1926. So he was old enough to have served in WW2.