6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#41 Post by SelleckLover »

I don't think so, because there are just too many instances (many episodes) where Rick, TC and Magnum are wearing the ring on their left hand.
You're right IH, I never thought of that! :D

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MACattack »

It's really cool how Magnum is introduced to us as a lazy beach bum.

I especially enjoyed the scene how Magnum cavalierly tried to drink a beer, talk on the phone and spy on the swedish twins skinny dipping, with binoulars!
Magnum pretty much lives a lot like a college frat boy. He definetly matured through the years.
I just don't give a damn!

Artie Canoe
Captain

#43 Post by Artie Canoe »

I agree, Magnum definitely matured and the writers must have changed their position on how he was to develop fairly early on because we do not see him this giddy and woman-crazy very often in other seasons.

I also have to say I loved John Wayne's part of the Navy doctor, it's neat coming back to season one and comparing it to the others.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#44 Post by Agatha »

I agree that this is an excellent pilot. It does set the parameters for the "world according to Magnum"...or Bellisario. And sets in motion the exploration of the main characters, their relationships to each other and includes glimpses into their pasts...how they came to be who they are and where they are today.

I was reading the excellent article about "Why Magnum PI?" talking about why Magnum was such a successful series. I think that one of the reasons is what I'm calling "insider information" and it started right at the beginning. For example, in this first episode, we are introduced to the fact that SOME people don't believe that the Ferrari is really Magnum's car. This happens quite a bit in the earlier episodes but re-occurs in later episodes as well. Anther example is Rick's name. We feel like we're being let in on a secret when Thomas threatens to tell what Rick's name really is and then later, TC tells us that it's Orville. They also introduce us right off to "who owes who." When Thomas tells Robin that security on the estate is inpenetrable even though he was able to "steal" the Ferrari, Higgins "owes him one". This becomes a familiar bit of theme whenever TC flys Thomas somewhere or Rick tracks down some one or thing, he says, "Thanks, I owe you one."

My point is...these little "twists" cause us to feel included if we watch enough to know that they're there. So when they happen, we feel like "an insider" and that causes us to feel loyal to the show because they've given us reasons to feel like we belong.

Either that or I've had too much Spumanti this New Year's Eve!!

:)

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#45 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This episode is very interesting and has a good plot to it. THis is the first episode i saw of Magnum PI and just simply loved it.

Souome1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#46 Post by Souome1 »

I am not sure how to dovetail these thoughts with the foregoing discussion(s) on 1.1 and 1.2, but here goes....

(1) From above
"In this close-up shot, the helicopter is seen flying across the screen from the right to left. Look at the tail section of the helicoper and you will see that the word "MARINES" is reversed/backwards as it appears the negative was reversed in this shot." - IslandHopper

This could have been a shot that the producers wanted to use but that had Rick (the gunner) sitting in the door on the right side of the helicopter instead of the left. Rather than reshoot, they simply reversed the image.

(2) Magnum refers to Capt. Cooley's 30 years and three wars... What was the third war besides Korea and Vietnam that occurred after 1950 and before 1980?

(3) After Magnum and Alice leave the airport, they are on an oceanside highway. The shot goes from aerial to close-up of Alice, during which time her dialogue is continuous. In the aerial shot, there are no cars next to the road, there are no bridges in the shot, and the ocean is on the left of the ferrari. In the close up shot of Alice, there are vehicles to the right of the road and the ferrari immediately crosses a long bridge with the ocean on the right.

(4) When Magnum and Alice pull to the NIA building, the sign reads "Naval Investigative Agency", not "Naval Intelligence Agency". Which is correct? Is NIA spelled out elsewhere in the series?

(5) Why is the first flashback in B/W and the others in color?

(6) What happened to the gold?
JQH3: I don't know what to say.
TSM4: So, you owe me one.
JQH3: I'd really rather not.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#47 Post by N1095A »

Souome1 wrote: (4) When Magnum and Alice pull to the NIA building, the sign reads "Naval Investigative Agency", not "Naval Intelligence Agency". Which is correct? Is NIA spelled out elsewhere in the series?
Back in the day it would have been Naval Investigative Service (NIS), which is now Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS). To the best of my knowledge there was no Naval Intelligence Agency. That would have been called Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) Either A) I'm wrong, or 2) Naval Intelligence Agency was made up for the show.
Last edited by N1095A on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Souome1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#48 Post by Souome1 »

James refers to the NIA as the "Naval Intelligence Agency" in the episode notes. I assumed that was correct based on its appearance elsewhere in the series. Are there two different agencies? Thanks.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#49 Post by IslandHopper »

Souome1 wrote:(1) From above
"In this close-up shot, the helicopter is seen flying across the screen from the right to left. Look at the tail section of the helicoper and you will see that the word "MARINES" is reversed/backwards as it appears the negative was reversed in this shot." - IslandHopper

This could have been a shot that the producers wanted to use but that had Rick (the gunner) sitting in the door on the right side of the helicopter instead of the left. Rather than reshoot, they simply reversed the image.

(2) Magnum refers to Capt. Cooley's 30 years and three wars... What was the third war besides Korea and Vietnam that occurred after 1950 and before 1980?
(1) You're probably right Souomel1, but I still think it was very cheesy, unprofessional, and definitely worthy of a flub.

(2) I always took it to mean that Capt. Cooley was in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. WWII didn't end until 1945, so it would technically be 35 years, not 30, but I don't think anyone would expect Magnum to know the exact time that Cooley has been in the Navy especially considering that Magnum was in a rage when he said it. If Cooley was 20 in 1945 then then he would have been 55 in 1980 when the Pilot episode was filmed. He may have enlisted in the Navy as an 18 year old and became an officer later on, which is not uncommon.

By the by, welcome to the site Souomel1.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Souome1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#50 Post by Souome1 »

Thanks, IslandHopper. I have really enjoyed this site.

1. I agree. The reversed image does indeed qualify as a flub, albeit one that was possibly done intentionally.

2. The third war would have to have been WWII. And Magnum could have just thrown out the 30 years remark in his rage. I would think that a that a captain that did not make rear admiral before 35, or even 30 years, of service would not be permitted to stay in the Navy. I had not considered the possibility that he was a mustang or had returned to civilian life after WWII (even though that is what my father did.)

I did a quick google search. It appears that the maximum years in rank for a Lt.J.G is 5 years, for a Lt. is 7 years, and for a Lt.Cdr. is 7 years. That would be 19 years plus time as an Ensign, as a Commander, and as a Captain. It appears one could possibly be a Captain after 30 years, but the pressures of military politics might make it difficult.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#51 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Welcome to the site Souome1. As far as the ranks go it wasn't as easy to make rank in the old days as it is now. A lot of the admrials in WWII had been in for quite awhile to achieve that rank. In fact Admrial Richardson, the Commanding Officer at Pearl before Kimmel, mentions in his book how difficult it was to climb the ranks.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Souome1 wrote:James refers to the NIA as the "Naval Intelligence Agency" in the episode notes. I assumed that was correct based on its appearance elsewhere in the series. Are there two different agencies? Thanks.
Hi Souome1, welcome!

It looks like I flubbed this one, another in a long line of flubs for me. It is indeed the "Naval Investigative Agency", not "Naval Intelligence Agency". In "Memories Are Forever", we see the "Naval Intelligence Headquarters". Other times in the show you hear "Naval Intelligence" batted about. All of these appear to have tripped me up. I'll correct it in the episode guide. Thanks.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

Review and additional notes / bloopers

#53 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

You can read my first review for the series here:
http://www.tv.com/magnum-p.i./dont-eat- ... _tabs;prev

I'm jay-spacedust (don't know why I chose spacedust when I signed up, as I'm always Firestorm normally - after a great episode of 'Airwolf'!!)

Anyway, most of the notes & bloopers I found have already been added to the site, but a couple more:

* The working title name for Magnum, 'Cutter', was later used by Donald P. Bellisario for the lead, Jake Cutter, in his one-season-wonder 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' (1982-3)

* The DVD calling this story 'PLEASE Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii' is not really a mistake - ever since the Pilot was released, promotional material has used this title. Only the episode itself dropped the 'Please'.

* As he comes out of the sea at the beginning of the episode, Magnum's hair goes from slicked back to tussled in different shots

* During the opening credits, Magnum's top changes back and forth. For most of it, he is wearing his dark blue polo, but in a couple of shots it changes to the floral shirt. These are from shots later in the story.

* When Magnum waits for Healy outside the Naval Base, Healy is wearing his naval cap (or whatever you'd call it). In the next shots, as Magnum races him, it has disappeared (arguably he took it off between shots to stop it blowing away). In the next sequence, as they drink beer on the dock, the hat is back again.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

TankTop44
Commander

#54 Post by TankTop44 »

Just finished the first episode and loved seeing it again. Between the swedish twins and TC wanting to see boobs while he and Magnum flew in the helicopter there was a lot of boob talk. haha One this I did notice, and perhaps others have already noticed it, when he left the estated he was wearing shorts, when it showed him driving to the airport in one of the shots it looked like he had on jeans, then when he got to the airport he got out and put jeans on. Maybe I am wrong. Great episode though!

grantwiscour
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#55 Post by grantwiscour »

The VMO2 Squadron info regarding equipment and tours is below.

VMO-2 began operations in Vietnam with a small detachment of OE-1 (O-1B) "Birdogs" which were attached to Operation Shufly in 1962. In 1965, the entire squadron deployed to Vietnam. All its OH-43s and O-1s were left in Okinawa, and the squadron began to fly the UH-1E. In 1968, VMO-2 began operating the first OV-10A "Broncos" in Vietnam. In 1969 squadron capabilities were increased with the addition of the AH-1G "Cobra". All the squadron's helicopters were transferred out to other units in 1969, leaving only the OV-10s. VMO-2 remained in Vietnam until April 1971, when it relocated to MCALF Camp Pendleton.

More info at this link: http://www.geocities.com/hma1369/vmo2.html