No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

Fat Jack
Captain

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (1) (1.1)

#91 Post by Fat Jack »

Sorry if this has been posted before...here's the TV Guide promo for "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii". Bring back any memories? When I was a kid I used to love TV Guide's promos for upcoming shows...

Scotophor
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#92 Post by Scotophor »

Scotophor wrote:In at least one later episode is another slightly less obvious poor choice of stock footage, but I'll need to re-watch to find exactly which episode(s). The clip I have in mind is a view from a camera mounted to the underside of a plane, near the tail, looking forward at the landing gear as the plane touches down. The problem? The landing gear is very distinctive and does not belong to a civilian, or even passenger aircraft. The nose gear, instead of being a single strut with dual wheels mounted on the aircraft's centerline, is TWO struts on either side of the aircraft, each having dual wheels. The only plane I'm familiar with having nose gear like that is the B-52 bomber!
I'm revisiting this topic to report that I was probably mistaken in believing that the clip described above was shown in an MPI episode. I've just seen it again a few days ago... in an installment of "Banacek", entitled "Fly Me -- If You Can Find Me".

The B-52 landing gear shot was cut into two segments shown during the reenactment of the missing plane's emergency landing, about 10 minutes from the end of the episode. First shown was a brief bit including the touchdown (with a small amount of tire smoke), then after a cut back to the cockpit, a longer clip of the plane slowing down on the runway.

I probably confused in my mind which show the clip was in because at the time of my original post, as now, I followed several different classic TV series that I've either forgotten, or never watched when they were current.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#93 Post by Danny Lin »

On the ring worn upside down:

Wow! First post on the first episode in over 21 months! Hard to believe, right?

Much has been said about this episode already, but there´s something that wasn´t mentioned yet:

There was a discussion about the question on which hand the team ring had to be worn, left or right (posts on page 4, posts 2,3,4,5,8 and 9). It was observed that different persons at different occasions wore the ring on the right or left hand.

It hasn´t been observed yet that there´s a scene in which the ring is worn upside down!

When Thomas is chased in the Ferrari by the two thugs following him from the yacht harbour, shortly after leaving the tunnel and being shot at in the curve (shots hitting the wall in the foreground) it is shown how Thomas shifts gears. In this scene the ring is clearly worn upside down. A second later, after the next cut, Thomas is shown through the front screen, the right hand back on the steering wheel. Here the ring is worn as in all other scenes by all other persons: the lower end of the Cross of Lorraine towards the finger tip.

Possibly the car wasn´t even driven by Thomas himself when the scene shifting gears was shot. The Thomas-double could have put on the ring the wrong way without anyone realizing.

Same can be watched in the trailer. There are two scenes from the car chasing, shifting gears, separated by one scene showing the cockpit, shown in the upper left corner of the screen. At the very beginning of the second shifting scene you can clearly observe that the ring is worn upside down.

Any observations according this from other episodes anyone?
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#94 Post by Danny Lin »

On the mentioning of the stables:
golfmobile wrote:

Anyway, once he gets in the guesthouse and is surprised by Higgins and the lads, they negotiate for use of the "stables and tennis court." WHAT STABLES?? Is this ever mentioned again? Or are these Joey's stables???? (We shall never speak of him/the stables again???)

IslandHopper wrote:

Regarding the reference to the "stables", I think (but not sure) that there may have been a reference to the stables in the episode "Jororo Farewell" (Season 4), when Danny rode off with Agatha's horse. Higgins, I think, was in the study with Magnum or someone and they heard the horse, so there may have been a reference to the stables since Agatha's horse was presumably a resident in the stables. :?

The stables weren´t explicitly mentioned in "Jororo Farewell" but Agatha´s horse (Matilda) was in fact a resident on the estate as Higgins had promised Agatha to take care of the animal.

Certainly I can confirm that there are stables on the estate since I myself took Matilda from there before I handed her over to Benny who then left the estate in a gallop and made all the others follow him thinking Benny was me "running" away. :wink:

Danny Lin

(If the stables were mentioned in other episodes I don´t know.)
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#95 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnum being "introduced to us as a lazy beach bum".
MACattack wrote:It's really cool how Magnum is introduced to us as a lazy beach bum.

Even if Magnum is characterized less mature than in later episodes I don´t really think one could say that he is introduced as a lazy beach bum: Not only does he tell the audience, that and what he is doing for a living but he as well tells them that he has "done funnier..." which directly leads to a flashback to his service in Vietnam.

Not precisely the ways of a lazy beach bum I think.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#96 Post by Danny Lin »

On the shorts/jeans-"flub":
TankTop44 wrote:Just finished the first episode and loved seeing it again. Between the swedish twins and TC wanting to see boobs while he and Magnum flew in the helicopter there was a lot of boob talk. haha One this I did notice, and perhaps others have already noticed it, when he left the estated he was wearing shorts, when it showed him driving to the airport in one of the shots it looked like he had on jeans, then when he got to the airport he got out and put jeans on. Maybe I am wrong. Great episode though!
Yes, you´re wrong, I´m afraid:
Immediately after Magnum leaves the estate in the "stolen" Ferrari the trailer starts. During the trailer you see scenes from the whole episode showing Magnum driving the Ferrari. Some with him wearing shorts, some with him wearing long jeans. After the trailer the only scene showing Magnum before he puts pants on is the scene showing his conversation with Ski at the gate. In this scene you can´t see Magnums legs at all. So, everything´s just fine. No flub here.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#97 Post by Danny Lin »

On the old theme song:
MACattack wrote:I'm glad Mike Post changed the music for MPI. The original score is way too disco-ish. The newer theme has a rockin guitar solo, which represents Magnum's spirit.
lutherhgillis wrote:MAC makes a good point. The old version of the theme song was too 70s and tied the show to the 'old guard' of detective shows IMHO. The new theme song rocked and fit the newer times. I began watching the show when the new song began playing on the radio. I remember thinking that the show must be cool since the song was so hip...
Zudobug wrote:I don't mind the original theme tune. It doesn't quite fit the style of the show in my opinion but it is a good one nonetheless.
MaiTaiMan wrote:

I also did not really like the first original "Magnum" theme. :? To be honest, until the DVD sets came out, I did not remember the first theme. The producers, or whoever, definitely made the right choice to change it to what they did! The "true" and most remembered "Magnum" theme is superb!! :D

Kalai-pahoa wrote:

I like very much the Ian Freebairn-Smith's theme song too.

I didn´t see the original airing of the show from the very beginning and got to hear the original theme song first when the series reran. Back then I was shocked about the kind of "boring" theme, but I must say, today I really like the fact that the first theme was different and even the first theme itself because just the change from the old theme to the new one points out so nicely at which time the show came into existence: The seventies had just ran out when the pilot was filmed and the first preparations to it have been made at the very end of the seventies. Great!

Same goes for the change from Ricks Café Americain with it´s 70ies-influenced disco music to the King Kamehameha Club.

Will say: Today I really embrace the old theme song!

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#98 Post by Danny Lin »

On the ice cream cone being thrown into the back of the red convertible:
timm525 wrote:

I also liked how the hit man threw his ice cream cone into the back of the red convertible (MG?) parked next to his car when he went to chase TM from the docks!
If you look closely you will see that he never does that: Already from the movement of his left arm you can see that he throws the ice cream cone behind himself. Then watching the lower left corner of the screen you can see the cone toss on the ground. Also you can see the ice cream lying on the ground under the thugs car when they pull out of the parking lot backwards.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#99 Post by Danny Lin »

On Apollo being called "Paolo":
Croix de Lorraine wrote:

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but when Magnum arrives at the estate after almost being driven off the road and calls the dogs several times, it sounds as if he calls Apollo "Paolo". Every single time.
Sorry: Nope! Magnum just swallows the "A" from "Apollo" like it easily can happen. So Apollo never is called "Paolo". Just, if you want to put it that way: "´pollo".

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#100 Post by Danny Lin »

On the plane Alice arrives with:
Scotophor wrote:

Finally, some additional info regarding flub #7 from the episode guide for part 1: "When Thomas is waiting for Alice to arrive at the airport, the shot of the plane landing shows a white aircraft with a red stripe and a blue underbelly. In the next shot, as Thomas looks out at the plane, it's metallic grey."

-Not only is it odd that the plane changes its paint scheme, the first version is totally unbelievable too... it's the Boeing factory/delivery scheme! Behind/below the cockpit, it reads "BOEING 747", and "747" is also on the tail, those are the only texts large enough to be legible, and there are no graphic logos at all. The only people who would be likely to be on board a plane flying marked that way would be either Boeing employees, or employees of the airline to which it was being delivered (before being repainted to the airline's livery). Certainly not paying passengers!

As I see it the machine without graphic logos, shown landing, to me has no blue underbelly. To me in fact it looks like polished metal and or grey.

Just nice to know, perhaps:
The machine at the gate is a "Northwest Orient Airlines" machine. The airline was incorporated by Delta Airlines in 2008 and the brand is no longer used today.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#101 Post by Danny Lin »

On Fritz Weavers acting:

On the thread for episode 2 (page 6, post 2) Little Garwood wrote:

Little Garwood wrote:

Other notable supporting actors include Fritz Weaver (Captain Cooly). Weaver has a small but important role. Actingwise, Weaver mops the floor with Selleck in their one big scene together. Baa Baa Black Sheep member and Bellisario stock actor W.K. Stratton plays a rare good guy in his Ensign Healy role. He shares a nice scene with Pamela Susan Shoop out in the rain.

I totally agree! Actingwise I found Weavers role the most convincing in this episode. The comparatively short scenes with Ensign Healy in the morgue and Thomas at the office added quite some drama to the plot!
Last edited by Danny Lin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#102 Post by Danny Lin »

On the beer they drank in the first and second episode:

If someone knows which beer Thomas drank in the first and second episode it would be nice if you would post an answer to my post on the beer thread (page 4, post 8):

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=30

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#103 Post by Danny Lin »

Question on "Pali Highway" and "Lanai Lookout":

When Magnum asks Rick for a couple of favours at the phone, he mentions that two guys tried to run him off Pali Highway and that they deep sixed about a mile past Lanai Lookout.

As far as I can see, Lanai Lookout IRL is situated at the Kalanianaole Highway, far away from Pali Highway. I don´t really have an idea why the writers would need to go and push around known locations like this.

Does know more about this? Am I mistaken at some point?

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#104 Post by Danny Lin »

On "unkeen" Lads:

Watching this episode it always bugs me how the Lads who are supposed to be after Magnum when he tries to steal the Ferrari, clearly are not keen on getting him at all but focussed on something taking place in front of the car in the sequence right after Thomas succeeded to open the Ferrari and jumped into it.

They really could have put some more effort into making that sequence look realistic. :? :?

plateglass
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#105 Post by plateglass »

Hey guys! I'm new to the fourm. I just had a question about the guard at the Navy gate Thomas goes through to pick up his buddy. Is that guard Mac from future episodes? His name is different Thanks
Hi Guy