6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 153

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#31 Post by IslandHopper »

N1095A wrote:Don't forget in "Did You See The Sunrise?" TC talks of escaping from kids wanting their bubble gum in a "beat up Cobra".
N,

Your comment about the "Cobra" reminded me that TC is in deed credited with flying a Cobra (AH-1) in Vietnam. In "Thicker Than Blood" (season 1), it is revealed that TC was indebted to Joey (the buddy he tried to smuggle into the Islands) for "pulling him out of a burning Cobra." I believe it was Magnum who mentions the Cobra.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#32 Post by IslandHopper »

Despite our extensive discussion regarding the OH-58 Kiowa featured in the pilot and flown by TC, I forgot to mention the flub associated with this helicopter:

1. The flub occurs after Magnum empties the envelope containing Dan Cook's personal belongings including his "Team Ring." After emptying the envelope, Magnum flashes back to Vietnam. Watch for the third shot of the helicopter (OH-58 Kiowa). In this close-up shot, the helicopter is seen flying across the screen from the right to left. Look at the tail section of the helicoper and you will see that the word "MARINES" is reversed/backwards as it appears the negative was reversed in this shot. All of the other letters and numbers are obviously reversed as well. The "HY" on the vertical stabilizer should be "YH" and so on. This same flub is also visible in Part 2 of the pilot right after you see Magnum, Phillipe and the rest of the Team waiting at the LZ to be picked up by TC. Phillipe tells to Magnum to take the Team to the chopper and says that he'll cover and Magnum says "Don't wait too long." Then you see the helicopter with the reversed images.

2. A flub involving the "Team Ring" actually occurs just before the reverse image flub mentioned above. As Magnum is emptying the envelope onto the table you will see several other items on the table including Dan's dog tags and keys. However, these items are off to the side and as Magnum shakes Dan's ring from the envelope it falls onto the table and comes to rest far away from the other items. The close-up of the "Team Ring", however, shows it right next to, and almost touching the set of keys that weren't there when the ring fell out onto the table.

3. As you look at the close-up of the "Team Ring" you can tell that the right lower bar is not symmetric with the corresponding bar on the left side. It is not as wide and seems flawed. The flub is that a close-up of the same ring is shown in the ending credits, but the imperfection is now on the left side of the ring, not the right as before. The other thing I noticed about the ring in the ending credits is that the wooden table it is resting on is much darker than the table shown in the guest house for the above described scene. Additionally, the ring from the envelope doesn't appear to be the same ring worn by Dan Cook after he was punched in the stomach and is seen grabbing on to the chain-link fence. The imperfection does not seem to appear on the ring worn by Dan in this scene.

4. Magnum's uniform does not include the S.E.A.L. Badge. Instead, he is seen wearing the "Surface Warfare" Badge. Magnum is not seen wearing the S.E.A.L. Badge until "Memories Are Forever" (season 2).

5. FLUB FOR PART 2: After Magnum and the rest of the "Team" load up onto the chopper, Phillipe is seen at the LZ firing his M-16 Rifle. As he is firing you can see the Hollywood "Blank Adapter" just inside the "flash supressor." If you look closely you will see a small circular object (not to be confused with the actual barrel of the rifle). Blank Adapters are used when firing blanks from a rifle like the M-16, because without them you would not be able to fire multiple/continuous shots without re-cocking the rifle after each blank fired. The "Hollywood Blank Adapter" is a small adapter that fits inside of the flash suppressor so that it is hidden from sight to provide realism. Other blank adapters are larger and bulkier and fit on the outside of the flash suppressor. Their purpose is not aesthetic, but functionality. They work in the same way as the Hollywood Blank Adapters, but they are clearly visible.

There has been some debate as to which hand the "Team Ring" should be worn. It has been mentioned that the "Team Ring" is supposed to be worn on the right hand. I don't know if this is correct or not, but in the pilot-flash back scenes most of the team members are wearing the ring on the left hand. Those include Rick, Phillipe, the RTO and the guy firing the flare. At the end of the episode, Magnum removes Phillipe's ring from his left hand.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, IH, Wow! :shock:

Any thoughts on how a "reversed negative" ends up in the final cut? It almost seems like would have to be intentional, although I have no idea why they would want it to be that way. :?

You know, I've been looking and looking for the reference to wearing the "Team Ring" on the right hand, but I still havn't found it. Due to lack of evidence, I've removed this bit of ring trivia from the "Team Ring" page. If anyone finds a reference to it, let me know.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#34 Post by golfmobile »

James,

For what's worth -- and I admit I may have lost the thread here about the wearing of the team ring -- but I thought the guys always wore it on their right hands, leaving the left hand/fingers available for a wedding ring, should that ever come into play.

I was watching "The Taking of Dick McWilliams" tonight and TM was shown wearing the team ring in several close-ups, and it was on his right hand.

If that helps . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

golf,

That's true. They usually wear it on their right hand, but there have been many times where they wear it on their left hand, as well ("China Doll", "No Need to Know", "Tran Quoc Jones" and others). So far, I havn't found any specific mention that it MUST be worn on the right hand. Maybe it will pop up in Season Seven or Eight.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Minor quibble with the Plot Outline: I believe that Magnum does say he's picking up his buddy at "the airport," but as we see soon after, he's not talking about Honolulu International. He drives through the security gate into either Hickam AFB or the Navy's adjoining facility (which "Ski" refers to as "Pearl"), then takes interior driveways into the other facility. Sorry I'm not certain which way it went -- but in either case, it would be safe to say something along the lines of "he goes to pick up a buddy who's due in on a military flight."

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IslandHopper wrote:A flub I noticed during this episode was when Magnum and Ensign Healy were on the dock talking about Lt. Cook, Ens. Healy referred to a Japanese Zero. In referring to the Zero, he said "oh yeah, a 30 year old Japanese zero." Healy later explains that the Zero was shot down during the attack on Pearl Harbor. If that is the case, then the zero was more like 40 years old (39 to be precise) as this episode was aired in December 1980.
It seems to me that there are two categories of flubs -- with continuity errors being the classic type (for example, Magnum's shirt is different in long shots versus closeups). The "thirty-year-old Zero" is the other type of flub, where a character says or does something that doesn't quite jibe with reality -- but we could say that the character simply made a human error, the way we all do from time to time. So maybe these aren't exactly flubs.

Another example of this second type would be Magnum referring to Mai Ling's Cousin Ho as "Uncle Ho" (in "China Doll").

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#38 Post by SelleckLover »

While reluctantly reading this thread, the thought just occurred to me that maybe the left/right hand wearing of the team ring is due to the aforementioned reversed images...(?) I dunno...just a thought. :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#39 Post by IslandHopper »

SelleckLover wrote:While reluctantly reading this thread, the thought just occurred to me that maybe the left/right hand wearing of the team ring is due to the aforementioned reversed images...(?) I dunno...just a thought. :D
I don't think so, because there are just too many instances (many episodes) where Rick, TC and Magnum are wearing the ring on their left hand.
Carol the Dabbler wrote:Minor quibble with the Plot Outline: I believe that Magnum does say he's picking up his buddy at "the airport," but as we see soon after, he's not talking about Honolulu International. He drives through the security gate into either Hickam AFB or the Navy's adjoining facility (which "Ski" refers to as "Pearl"), then takes interior driveways into the other facility. Sorry I'm not certain which way it went -- but in either case, it would be safe to say something along the lines of "he goes to pick up a buddy who's due in on a military flight."
Magnum does indicate that he’s picking up a buddy from a military flight. He says something like he is picking up a buddy coming in on a “MACs” flight. MAC is an acronym for “Military Airlift Command.”

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IslandHopper wrote:Magnum does indicate that he’s picking up a buddy from a military flight. He says something like he is picking up a buddy coming in on a “MACs” flight. MAC is an acronym for “Military Airlift Command.”
Thanks, IH -- I couldn't remember that acronym. I see that James has already changed the Plot Outline -- thanks, James!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#41 Post by SelleckLover »

I don't think so, because there are just too many instances (many episodes) where Rick, TC and Magnum are wearing the ring on their left hand.
You're right IH, I never thought of that! :D

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MACattack »

It's really cool how Magnum is introduced to us as a lazy beach bum.

I especially enjoyed the scene how Magnum cavalierly tried to drink a beer, talk on the phone and spy on the swedish twins skinny dipping, with binoulars!
Magnum pretty much lives a lot like a college frat boy. He definetly matured through the years.
I just don't give a damn!

Artie Canoe
Captain

#43 Post by Artie Canoe »

I agree, Magnum definitely matured and the writers must have changed their position on how he was to develop fairly early on because we do not see him this giddy and woman-crazy very often in other seasons.

I also have to say I loved John Wayne's part of the Navy doctor, it's neat coming back to season one and comparing it to the others.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#44 Post by Agatha »

I agree that this is an excellent pilot. It does set the parameters for the "world according to Magnum"...or Bellisario. And sets in motion the exploration of the main characters, their relationships to each other and includes glimpses into their pasts...how they came to be who they are and where they are today.

I was reading the excellent article about "Why Magnum PI?" talking about why Magnum was such a successful series. I think that one of the reasons is what I'm calling "insider information" and it started right at the beginning. For example, in this first episode, we are introduced to the fact that SOME people don't believe that the Ferrari is really Magnum's car. This happens quite a bit in the earlier episodes but re-occurs in later episodes as well. Anther example is Rick's name. We feel like we're being let in on a secret when Thomas threatens to tell what Rick's name really is and then later, TC tells us that it's Orville. They also introduce us right off to "who owes who." When Thomas tells Robin that security on the estate is inpenetrable even though he was able to "steal" the Ferrari, Higgins "owes him one". This becomes a familiar bit of theme whenever TC flys Thomas somewhere or Rick tracks down some one or thing, he says, "Thanks, I owe you one."

My point is...these little "twists" cause us to feel included if we watch enough to know that they're there. So when they happen, we feel like "an insider" and that causes us to feel loyal to the show because they've given us reasons to feel like we belong.

Either that or I've had too much Spumanti this New Year's Eve!!

:)

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#45 Post by Tom_Magnum »

This episode is very interesting and has a good plot to it. THis is the first episode i saw of Magnum PI and just simply loved it.