No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 121

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#16 Post by Mavrick »

I am going to check that out, now that you mention it
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by No need to know! »

timm525 wrote:And Ensign Healy was also the guy that played the bad cop that killed Kayce on the beach in Wave Goodbye I believe.
Yes Police officer Kelly. He played the partner of Vic Morrow in that episode. In fact this guy was in the pilot of Airwolf, and i am pretty sure that he was in the Rockford Files aswell.
Onion´s extra?

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Magnum T. »

Every Saga has a beginning!
The same happens with tv-series.
Last 12/11 I watched again the pilot as part of Magnum 30th Anniversary Celebration.
The opening Magnum-swimming sequence is a cool way to start the action.
During opening credits Ian Freebairn-Smith's theme is heard in a longer version, I must say I love this theme and the design of the sequence with the "Cross of Lorraine" layered over the video.
Obviously many recurring elements of the series are established in this pilot: above all, the relationship between TM and Higgins (and his beloved "lads") but also the friendship with Rick and T.C. and the Navy/Vietnam background.
One thing that was changed (and I am grateful for that) is Rick's club.
In the pilot he appears to be owner of the totally kitsch "Rick's Cafè Americain" (the link with "Casablanca" is obvious), while in the regular episodes he becomes the man in charge at "King Kamehameha Club", surely a more classy place.
Anyway, back to action, here it is one of my favourite moments (and TM's too, as far as we can see), Inge and Greta in their bikinis.
Robin Masters has good taste for sure in choosing his guests.
But another girl enters the scene, late Lt. Cook's pretty sister Alice, played by Pamela Susan Shoop (very good in this role).
Alice (who is clearly in love) and TM begin their quest to find out the reason behind Lt. Cook's death and finally catch the bad guy.
The story is spiced up by the beautiful hawaiian settings, pretty girls, car chasings, some romance, action, hilarious situations and dialogues.
In short, all the ingredients for a funny, entertaining series which will become a classic!

Plus: the whole package, except "Rick's Cafè Americain".
Minus: "Rick's Cafè Americain"
Best line:
Magnum: Don't look at the dogs, work the lock... (looks at dogs)... You looked at the dogs!

Note: in many tv-series of 70/80s it happens that the same actor is used to play different characters.
This thing bothers me because creates a sort of paradox into the "series universe". I think this should never be done.
We have three examples in MPI pilot with Jeff MacKay playing the role of Ski and, in subsequent episodes, the well-known role of Mac (and Jim Bonnick, but that was on purpose), W. K. Stratton as Ens. Healy here and Police Officer Kelly in "Wave Goodbye" (2.8) and Clyde Kusatsu, who plays a Navy Medical Examiner here and three other roles in various episodes, one being the John Wayne fanatic Police Lt. Gordon Katsumoto.

Funny thing #1: Pamela Susan Shoop and Fritz Weaver are in pilot episodes of two of my all-times favourite series, "Magnum, p.i." and "Wonder Woman".
Funny thing #2: I always wonder how the two idiotic thugs can chase a 308GTS with that piece of junk they have.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

burny
Commander

#19 Post by burny »

just started the series over again last night and noticed this sorta flub - magnum and tc fly over Philippe "la bool" Trusseau's boat. he appears on deck and looks straight up at the chopper with binoculars. the developed pics show him from the side looking through binoculars -- the pics would have shown him looking directly into the camera, not at an off angle as the developed pic
shows.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I loved "Magnum, p.i." growing up...but I don't remember seeing the "Pilot" or the first few episodes until years later in reruns. I don't think I started watching the show regularly until the 2nd or 3rd season.

As for the "Pilot" ("Don't Eat the Snow In Hawaii")...it was very good for the first episode! It introduced us to the star, Magnum, and who/what he was. It also gave us insight into his past, and past turmoils he had in Vietnam.

However, there were many episodes later (even in first season) that were better. I think this was the start, and they were just beginning to "iron" the wrinkles out, so-to-speak. I also did not really like the first original "Magnum" theme. :? To be honest, until the DVD sets came out, I did not remember the first theme. The producers, or whoever, definitely made the right choice to change it to what they did! The "true" and most remembered "Magnum" theme is superb!! :D

But, Tom Selleck is a superb actor...and the other characters on the show were also intriguing, funny, loveable, and everyone together made the show what it was! For a "pilot" episode..."Don't Eat the Snow In Hawaii" was very good...and that's what I rated it as. :) I put this same review/rating for Part 1.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Coops »

Anyone else find it odd that Thomas chose to wear his dress whites rather than working khakis (what Ens. Healy was wearing) when he went back to the NIA office to find evidence for Dan's murder? Maybe he didn't have the khakis anymore. If I were SA Wolf, the messenger of the watch on duty, seeing an officer come in wearing dress whites would have thrown all kinds of flags, even if I were fresh from Great Lakes RTC.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coops wrote:Anyone else find it odd that Thomas chose to wear his dress whites rather than working khakis (what Ens. Healy was wearing) when he went back to the NIA office to find evidence for Dan's murder? Maybe he didn't have the khakis anymore. If I were SA Wolf, the messenger of the watch on duty, seeing an officer come in wearing dress whites would have thrown all kinds of flags, even if I were fresh from Great Lakes RTC.
Most likely just a tactic to attract a female audience. Something about that white uniform seems to get the ladies hot under the collar and they were banking on Selleck being a ladies man that guys could relate to. I guess it worked!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Too right...! That uniform is deadly sexy!
I don't know what it is with a man in dress uniform, but they definitely do something! :wink:

As I said already in the review of part one, this pilot has great moments but to me also a weak storyline.
I had a few more questions about the show while I was watching last night, I should have made notes. Forgot most of them now. Just remember the one:
Why does he take Philippe's/La Boule's ring at the end? Doesn't he want anyone to know he was a team member?

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Magnum T. »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Too right...! That uniform is deadly sexy!
I don't know what it is with a man in dress uniform, but they definitely do something! :wink:
It all depends on who's wearing the uniform :wink: .
About the ring, I think Magnum takes it 'cause Trusseau "betrayed" the comradery it symbolizes.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Magnum T. wrote: About the ring, I think Magnum takes it 'cause Trusseau "betrayed" the comradery it symbolizes.
Ah, ok. So I got that sort of right.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#26 Post by N1095A »

As for the ring, Didn't he take Dan's too? I always thought it was his idea of showing respect for the team by being a caretaker for the rings of fallen members. Although Trusseau turned into a bad guy, he was once part of the team who the others relied on for their lives as he relied on them.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

We don't know about Dan's Ring. It was in the envelope and he looked at it on his table. We don't see him taking it. I always assumed he gave it to the family with the rest of his belongings.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Magnum T. »

As far as Dan's ring, I think VS is right.
The ring was put into the envelope with all Dan's belongings and given to Alice.

Another reason for TM taking Trusseau's ring could be he didn't want the team being dishonored.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Magnum T. wrote: Another reason for TM taking Trusseau's ring could be he didn't want the team being dishonored.
That goes sort of in the direction of my thoughts. You said it much nicer than I did. :lol:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Magnum T. »

Too kind!
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"