No votes
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 121

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2) (1.2)

#71 Post by Danny Lin »

Danny Lin wrote:If someone knows which beer Thomas drank in the first and second episode it would be nice if you would post an answer to my post on the beer thread (page 4, post 8):

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=30
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by ENSHealy »

Danny Lin wrote:
Danny Lin wrote:If someone knows which beer Thomas drank in the first and second episode it would be nice if you would post an answer to my post on the beer thread (page 4, post 8):

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=30
Check out the pic below. Although you can only see the final two letters, I think they are "ER" so the label probably just says "BEER". I got other screen caps of the label, but this is the only one clear enough that you can read anything on it. And I think they only drink this "BEER" in the pilot. Once the regular episodes start, they move on to Coops.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by ENSHealy »

1.2 DON’T EAT THE SNOW IN HAWAII
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts: 1 white on dark green
Body Count: 4 Pepe, La Bull, Captain Cooly, Hawaiian King Kong
Magnum gunshot wounds: 1 to the left shoulder in the bathroom at the airport, by La Bull.
Shirtless: 1.5 – swimming in the tidal pool/loading the gun; having a beer with his arm in the sling at the end, mostly covered by sling.
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 0
Higgins musings: .5 "I was a commando instructor during the war."
4th wall breaks: 0
Negotiations: 1 – Higgins wants the Ferrari back in exchange for delivering the picture of La Bull to the Snow Palace.
Famous guest stars: 2 Judge Reinhold, Robert Loggia
Magnumometer: 12

When the lads chase after Hawaiian King Kong as he is spying on the estate, he just drops the binoculars he had with him before climbing over the wall to escape. Must have been cheap binoculars!

When Magnum disabled the alarm in the Ferrari, we saw him enter 5777. When Higgins disables the alarm, we see him enter 5777 or 55777.

How did the WWII pilot's mother find out about the "secret" gold?

If Cooly knew the Zero cover story wouldn't hold, why would he send Dan to Tokyo? Did Dan go to Tokyo on his own initiative? Because he suspected Cooly?

Although he has yet to make reference to his little voice, it's clearly already at work:
Magnum: Healy was right. Captain Cooly had assigned Dan the dregs. Everything from petty vandalism in base housing to finding Admiral Matheson's missing dog. Putting Dan on this stuff was like making McGarrett the meter maid on Waikiki. But one of these routine cases had somehow gotten Dan killed. I'd know which one when I saw it. Don't ask me how. I just knew I would. [emphasis added]

Magnum: I'd missed the first flight to Hong Kong that morning, but I knew La Bull wasn't on it. Don't ask me how. I just knew it. He was here. Close. I could feel him. [emphasis added]

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS (so many in just this one hour!!)

Magnum: You and your people are the only ones on the Islands with enough coke to burn 10 ounces on a murder.
Arab: Just because one has an oasis in the desert, doesn't mean one drowns people.
Magnum: Why don't you write that in the john?

TC: [ Yells ] I think I'm in love. Did you see the bazooms on that woman?
Magnum: It's Sunday.
TC: It's a sin to look at bazooms on Sunday?
Magnum: The Navy doesn't hold gunnery practice on Sunday--not in peacetime.
TC: Oh, Andy. Well, maybe they done declared war and done forgot to tell you and me.*
Magnum: And maybe that's not a Navy patrol boat--
[ Together] Off Kahoolawe.

*Presumably an Amos and Andy reference/impression.

TC: You know, Thomas, if that is Navy, they ain't gonna like this. I mean, they gonna take my number and fine my behind.
Magnum: If that's a navy patrol boat, I'll pay the fine.
TC: What? You pay the fine?
Magnum: Just sneak around the island, will ya, T.C.?
TC: Sneak?
Magnum: Sneak.
TC: Okay, we're officially sneaking.

TC: Gas money, baby, just gas money.

Magnum: I will have Higgins take a copy of this over to Rick's. Why don't you stop by, take a look, see if you know him, okay?
TC: Yeah, yeah. Sure. I ain't seen Orville in a couple of weeks anyway. Hey, Thomas, you sure you don't want to let the Coast Guard in on this?
Magnum: No, I gotta do it my way.
TC: Mm-hmm.
Higgins: No.
Magnum: Aw, Higgins. I just want you to run a copy of this photo over to Rick's.
[Barks, Growls. Dogs hold Magnum in the study as Higgins and Alice walk out]
Higgins: Out of the question. I've got my lads to feed. Poor things are probably starved.
Magnum: Higgins. [pause] Higgins! [Barking, Growling Continues] Higgins.! [ Barking ] Higgins!
Alice: [disappointedly] Thomas. [addressing the dogs] Zeus. Apollo. Come on. Come here this instant. [Whimpering heard as the dogs comply]
Magnum: Higgins, I'd take the photo to Rick's, but Alice and I--
Higgins: The car.
Magnum: The car?
Higgins: I want it back. I don't want you driving it.
Magnum: Now, wait a minute. I--
Alice: It's a deal. It's a deal.
Magnum: No.
Alice: Look, you said we needed my brother's car to get into Pearl anyway.
Higgins: Your brother?
Alice: Oh, it's my mother's third husband. No relation to Tom.
Higgins: Fascinating. Well, Magnum? Is it a deal?
Magnum: It's a deal.

[ Elevator Dings ]
Magnum: Don't look at the elevator. Work the lock. Work the lock. Don't look at the elevator.
[ Dings – Thomas looks]
Magnum: You looked at the elevator!

Higgins: Now, if you, uh, gentlemen will excuse me, I'll be returning to Robin's Nest.
Rick: Hey, Higgins, here's a little something for your trouble.
Higgins: I don't accept tips.
TC: Yeah, I bet you don't give 'em either.

Higgins: I, uh, don’t know what to say.
Magnum: So you owe me one.
Higgins: I’d really rather not.

Finally, call me crazy...but did the producers sneak a little clandestine nudity into the episode? You have to go frame-by-frame, but if you do.... Or to put it another way, it's not too obvious, but I think I may see some fur and early morning dew. (I hope I'm not violating any family-friendly standards there. But it is a quote, after all.)
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

karolis
Admiral

#74 Post by karolis »

ENSHealy wrote: Finally, call me crazy...but did the producers sneak a little clandestine nudity into the episode? You have to go frame-by-frame, but if you do.... Or to put it another way, it's not too obvious, but I think I may see some fur and early morning dew. (I hope I'm not violating any family-friendly standards there. But it is a quote, after all.)
Here's a better look (from BluRay disk, click for full size)
And i believe you're right :)

P.S.: If i violate any forum rules - you're welcome to remove my post.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote: Higgins: I, uh, don’t know what to say.
Magnum: So you owe me one.
Higgins: I’d really rather not.
I always felt Rick was the one Higgins really owed here. Rick spotted the tail, Rick set out in pursuit, and Rick shot the king kong guy. Magnum pushed Higgins down behind the cars but Rick really did the lion's share here.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#76 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, they really snuck one by the sensors there! It goes by super quick, but there is no doubt that it is there! Pretty ballsy for 1980! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by K Hale »

We never get to see how/when the main characters met. But I have a theory that this episode is where T.C. and Higgins met, specifically when Higgins takes the photo to the nightclub.

My reasoning is that after the shooting outside the nightclub, T.C. addresses Rick as "Orville." Higgins repeats, "Orville?" making it clear he did not know that was Rick's real name, but his incredulous tone also suggests that he knew Rick well enough to be surprised that it wasn't his real name, if that makes sense. However, since T.C. calls Rick "Orville" all the time, Higgins would have heard it by now if all three of them had been previously acquainted.

Thoughts?
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by T.Q. »

Started watching from scratch.

Never really noticed before but Higgins' office is puny in the pilot.

Also noticed this:

Flub?

Anyways, always enjoy re-watching the pilot.

It's cool in HD.

:)
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by K Hale »

Also, Higgins is wearing a type of shirt he didn’t wear again until season 8.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#80 Post by brianw »

Great pilot ep. TM is shot for the first of many times. Bransombe Richmond makes the first of many appearances too, this guy has been in EVERYTHING.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by terryfromkerry »

Love the pilot. Magnum wears the navy mini anthuriam Paradise Found shirt in this but from what I remember never again.
https://www.alohashirtshop.com/products ... num-pi.php
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Gorilla Mask
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Gorilla Mask »

Hi everyone !

Well, that introducing episode deserved not much than an 'decent' mark for me... Maybe this is due to a a shade disappointing pace and (sorry to admit it) plot.

When i first saw it in 1981 (with my little boy eyes), it sounds and looks like terrific. Well, nearly 40 years after, i found, from my point of view some flaws:

- First element of the plot a bit irrelevant: why Magnum murdered friend would have willfully swallowed that quantity of poison ? To infiltrate "La bulle" network ? How could you explain this ?
- Still the plot: a bath in the tidal pool :D , an introspective thought while swimming, a familiar feeling, an old hurting bad war wound an then... that is it ! Just rush to the airport for the last showdown with the villain, some more luck and good coincidence... Well, a very good action scene which would have deserved a better wrapped and linked script... But you will object it is the legendary Magnum "Gut feeling';
- an useless melodrama between Thomas and Alice at 18:00.
- The plot still at 28:00; the linkage between Coolie and La bulle is somewhat jerky; Coolie was is the same criminal interest than La bulle or was it because of his jealousy? So, Dan was making a survey about that claimed old jap plane wreck and an other gold transport cargo plane ?, La Bulle decided to kill both ? huuu... :?
- Definitively, the slow pace of the episode... of course that was intended for late 70's audience and that very subjective of me.

However, i spent a good moment with some 'top flight' dialogues and atmosphere between Magnum and Higgins , TC and Rick. 8)

At the end, a good episode with flaws, i thinks it was just a trial run for the entire show and that the scenarists were still seeking for good settings and balance.
"Je sais ce que vous allez me dire, et vous aurez raison..."

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#83 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Hello Magnum-maniacs

I have been catching some episodes of magnum on the charge! network and thought I would drop in to comment.

Best parts - judge Reinhold with a short scene, Rick with An Uzi,

Parts that did not age well - the lady drug dealer who was married at 12. Magnum walking into an airport with a gun (not unrealistic in 1979 I guess, but still shocking).

Question - did the weird square in the tidal pool make any more appearances?

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#84 Post by Pahonu »

SeamanWolfe wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:11 am
Question - did the weird square in the tidal pool make any more appearances?
It’s still in the tidal pool, even now that the home has been torn down and replaced.

SeamanWolfe
Commander

#85 Post by SeamanWolfe »

Thanks - I will keep an eye out for it on rewatch. I guess they filmed around it most of the time.