No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 121

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2) (1.2)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2) (1.2). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/11/1980
Magnum and Dan's sister, Alice, continue in their quest to learn the truth behind Lt. Dan Cook's death. They get more than they bargained for when they uncover a gold smuggling plot and come face-to-face with a criminal mastermind Magnum and Dan once knew in Vietnam. Magnum puts his own life on the line to expose the truth and to clear his friend's name.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

The excellent pilot movie continues with Part 2. Great climax featuring a bathroom shootout! And keep your eye out for a young Judge Reinhold as Seaman Wolfe.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

wilko
Captain

#3 Post by wilko »

This 1st episode in the series had just a little too much 70's kitsch for my liking, it took Magnum a few episodes to get with the 80's :D

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

When T.C. flies Magnum to "Kahoolawe" they're actually flying around Rabbit (Manana) Island, just off the coast of Oahu near Robin's Nest. Some of the shots are from unusual angles so that this is not obvious, and some shots are sufficiently up-close that the small size of the island is not apparent. But the first shot, as they approach "Kahoolawe", is from same angle that we're familiar with from Robin's Nest beach scenes.

Note that the real Kahoolawe is off the coast of Maui, and is roughly 6 miles by 11 miles across, compared to Rabbit Island's 4 tenths of a mile diameter.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice pickup there Carol. For some reason, I never "connected the dots" in this scene! Kahoolawe is indeed a tad bit bigger than Rabbit Island!

CVA-19
Ensign

#6 Post by CVA-19 »

Hey, I ran into this site the end of last year and have looked in from time to time. Have been meaning to post for a while...

This episode just aired locally today and I noticed that the Cross of Lorraine was clearly painted on the side of TC's chopper in 'Nam when he extracted Magnum and Cook. It's under the VMO2 stenciled on the back side of the helo. I did not recall seeing it that vividly in the first episode (aired yesterday) when there were scenes of the chopper.

There were a few other things in this episode I thought were interesting.

Rick's character comes across as a lot less comic than later episodes. He's the one that spots the hitman in his dance hall tailing Higgins and he's the one that gets him.

And the beginning of the on-going "gas money" gag starts right here in this episode. TC's character also evolves a lot from this episode to later episodes. Here, he's less reliable and situationally aware, e.g., he's late in picking up the team, he doesn't see the hitman.

Also the feel that Hawaii Five-O is real in this universe comes across in the part where Magnum says that Cook's talent was wasted in a way that would be the same if McGarrett were to be assigned as a meter-maid at Waikiki. (Also the previous episode where Magnum leaves the crash scene because he did not want to explain the situation to Five-O.)

It's been a while since I saw the pilot so it was nice to see it. I think it would have been nice to have had more episodes from Rick's Cafe, with that the shocking Snow White character, and possibly having Alice come back at some point.

Magnum92
Captain

#7 Post by Magnum92 »

It is also interesting to see the unseen (changed after the pilot), interior of robin's nest, like the different dark room and the office beside it where magnum recieves a phone call.
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

CVA-19 wrote:It's been a while since I saw the pilot so it was nice to see it. I think it would have been nice to have had more episodes from Rick's Cafe, with that the shocking Snow White character, and possibly having Alice come back at some point.
Yeah, the powers that be decided to radically change Rick's character after the Pilot Movie. "Bogie-Rick" and his glitzy discotheque "The Snow Palace" were dropped. "Bogie-Rick" became Rick, and the club became The King Kamehameha Club. "Bogie-Rick" (and his white jacket) makes a couple of appearances throughout the show, however. A nice touch.

Here one of his appearances, from Season Three's "Flashback"...

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by MPS »

Watched both of the episodes from the pilot over the weekend. It's a trip seeing how much the characters change in 8 years. Everyone seemed very one dimensional in Don't Eat the Snow... It will be great fun to see the Magnum-Higgins relationship develope as I go throught the series for a second time. :)
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#10 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I know that is one thing I like about the show is the evolution of the characters. Had they kept the same personalities I don't think the sow would've been as successful.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#11 Post by Agatha »

My DVD runs Parts 1 & 2 together so I've rated them the same and for the same reasons.

:)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

Review and additional notes / bloopers

#12 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

The second half of my review can be found here:
http://www.tv.com/magnum-p.i.//episode/ ... _tabs;next

No extra notes of bloopers as yet :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Mavrick
Pinball Wizard

#13 Post by Mavrick »

I just got done watching this ,and I notice when Magnum went to pick up his buddy off the base, the guy at the guard house Looked alot like Mac?!?
Magnum reffered to him as Steve ( I think ) . Was it Mac at that guard house?
Magnum, feed the lads, would you? There are steaks in the freezer. Yes you can have one too.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

Mavrick wrote:I just got done watching this ,and I notice when Magnum went to pick up his buddy off the base, the guy at the guard house Looked alot like Mac?!?
Magnum reffered to him as Steve ( I think ) . Was it Mac at that guard house?
It was Jeff MacKay... but he was playing a character named "Ski". In an odd twist of events the character of ensign Healy was supposed to be Magnum's naval connection... but something happened and they gave that part to MacKay.

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#15 Post by timm525 »

And Ensign Healy was also the guy that played the bad cop that killed Kayce on the beach in Wave Goodbye I believe.