No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 121

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Aloha from Hawaii!
Thanks for the Marks estate interior shots info on your "snow" ep overview, J.J.! I thought it looked familiar! Fabulous Magnum site you have here! Gotta prep a gallon of maita'i and read all your pages on the site!

I wanted to point out a couple things if I may...
"This historic piece of property is known as The Marks Estate (after Alfred and Elizabeth Marks, the original owners)" 
Not true. 
It is known as the Cooke estate, or the Clarence H. Cooke House (Castle & Cooke ring a bell?) and also known to some locals by its Hawaiian name, (many historic estates have their own Hawaiian name attributed). The newbies and pilgrims call it the marks estate.
It was built in the late 20's and early 30's for Clarence Hyde Cooke by the architect Hardie Phillip, who also created the landmark Honolulu Academy of Arts, (where i took art classes as a keiki). Walking around the Cooke house grounds and the buildings really has a feel similar to the Academy of Arts compound.
Cooke left the estate to the Academy of Arts who sold it to Elizabeth marks in 1946.  

You can easily tell Magnum was scripted by mainlanders:
"Putting Dan on this stuff was like making McGarrett the meter maid on Waikiki." It is "in Waikiki" Not on. 

Also locals never refer to "Hotel street vice district." I know that is just for your clarification, but it's just Hotel Street or Chinatown.  Hotel street is long and the "vice district" comprised just a few blocks which also ran mauka/makai on cross streets. In one scene in "Don't eat the snow in Hawaii" when Higgy baby is walking Hotel street, you see "Club Esquire live sex acts" or something like that. When I was 20, in 1975, I had a girlfriend who performed there. She tried to get me to work with her. She said "ah c'mon its only simulated sex acts on stage and ya get alotta money!" i just couldn't do it. Too creepy. (ironically at that time she was the kahu, or caretaker of a fabulous huge estate (not dissimilar to Cooke House) just across the Pali hiway occupying the place for an absentee owner. Many estates such as this are owned by folks who have other homes and they pop in occasionally at most.)

Re; "Snow in Hawaii", The prop master should have had a better ring reproduction available for closeups.

As with others, I believe it was a good move to dissolve the Rick's Cafe /Bogart gimmick.

Glad they got rid of that annoying echo effect in Magnum's voiceovers in subsequent eps.

Thanks again for a fabulous Magnum site!
Braddah Kimo

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#32 Post by Pahonu »

Hey Kimo,

You mention the architect of the Cooke/Marks Estate as Hardie Phillip. Any idea on the architect for the Anderson Estate or how to find out. Oh, and great to have you aboard!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Mahalo Nui, Pahonu! You're so very kind.
I will do my Magnum worthy best detective work to search this out!
A hui hou!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Pahonu, preliminary research tells us it is architect Hardie Phillip, as the general consensus says the three structures are all almost exactly alike! And I concur, having spent much time in and around two of them and then around the E.A. estate. More later if I unearth stuff....

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hello, welcome Braddah Kimo! Great to have you aboard!

I can't tell you how long we've been trying to find out who designed the Anderson Estate buildings! Hardie Phillip seems like a good candidate. Let us know what you find out.

Re: The Marks Estate -- I refer to it as "The Marks Estate" simply because at the time of this episode it had been the Marks property for almost 35 years (since 1946)! It was also referred as that name in many news sources. But you're right, it's also known as the Cooke Estate. Maybe I should refer to it as the Cooke/Marks Estate?

Re: Hotel Street Vice District -- I call it that to distinguish it from the other parts of Hotel Street. I realize that back then most people just called it "Hotel Street". Boy, that part of town sure has been cleaned up, huh. ;)

Since your familiar with "Hotel Street" back in the day, I've got a question for you. In Season Seven's "Laura", in the "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" scene on Hotel Street with Frank Sinatra, we see Frank enter/exit the Swing Club and Magnum enter/exit Club Hubba Hubba with some indoor shots of both in a club. It's hard to tell which one(s) they are in because of cutaways. What I've been trying to figure out is which club, or clubs, they filmed in. Here are some screencaps.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Club Hubba Hubba? Swing Club? Bennie's Danceland, perhaps?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Mahalos for the alohas, JJ. Yea. chinatown had been redeveloped beyond recognition. Now no more cheap housing for those that made it C-town, and no more quaint cool old structures, bars, shops.... and the red light district is kinda underground but still present. back then there was The Glades. mauka side of the street. About first block from da river. Stretching on about 5 blocks diamond head and up Pauahi, Nuu'anu, Maunakea streets a block or so... Lines of demarcation on Hotel street: mahu sex, mauka side. Straight sex, makai side of Hotel Street. Had many arcade game parlors, all night grind houses (as they put it in 5-0) a pool hall every other block, saimin stands, diners. chop suey joints, pawn shops. cool old nautical bars and saloons... The succession of politicians who wanted their name on something screwed it all up. Now, no mo' soul. Re; the Hubba/Swing club shots, I will have to view the eps and see the action up close. Laterz!
Last edited by Braddah Kimo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:When T.C. flies Magnum to "Kahoolawe" they're actually flying around Rabbit (Manana) Island, just off the coast of Oahu near Robin's Nest. Some of the shots are from unusual angles so that this is not obvious, and some shots are sufficiently up-close that the small size of the island is not apparent. But the first shot, as they approach "Kahoolawe", is from same angle that we're familiar with from Robin's Nest beach scenes.

Note that the real Kahoolawe is off the coast of Maui, and is roughly 6 miles by 11 miles across, compared to Rabbit Island's 4 tenths of a mile diameter.
Anyone who would like to see the REAL Kahoolawe should watch Just Go With It, a cute movie (starring Adam Sandler & Jennifer Anniston) filmed partly on Maui. The golf-course scene offers a great view of Kahoolawe on the horizon.
Carol

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Seaver41 »

Ensign Healy......wasn't that actor on Baa Baa Blacksheep? (along with Manetti and McKay)

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#39 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Seaver41 wrote:Ensign Healy......wasn't that actor on Baa Baa Blacksheep? (along with Manetti and McKay)
Yup! W. K. Stratton (Healy) played Larry Casey on Black Sheep.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#40 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Mahalos for the alohas, JJ. Yea. chinatown had been redeveloped beyond recognition. Now no more cheap housing for those that made it C-town, and no more quaint cool old structures, bars, shops.... and the red light district is kinda underground but still present. back then there was The Glades. mauka side of the street. About first block from da river. Stretching on abut 5 block diamon dead hand up pauahi, Nuu'anu, maunakea a block or so... Lines of demarcation on Hotel street: mahu sex, mauka side. Straight sex, makai side of Hotel Street. Had many arcade game parlors, all night grind houses (as they put it in 5-0) a pool hall every other block, saimin stands, diners. chop suey joints, pawn shops. cool old nautical bars and saloons... The succession of politicians who wanted their name on something screwed it all up. Now, no mo' soul. Re; the Hubba/Swing club shots, I will have to view the eps and see the action up close. Laterz!
So cool having such an informed local around here! Welcome, welcome Kimo.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Braddah Kimo »

You are so very kind, thank you very much!

TankTop44
Commander

Airport

#42 Post by TankTop44 »

Can you imagine how much trouble Magnum would have been in today for having a gun in an airport??? Simpler times makes me miss this era.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii (2) (1.2)

#43 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Body count:

Magnum 1
Rick 1

None of them stand trial.

EZiller
Captain

#44 Post by EZiller »

Good opening episode, although drug trafficking, etc. had been beaten beaten to death in the 70's on the various cop shows. Glad that MPI found more interesting plot lines. Interesting to see the evolution of the characters from this initial episode. Pamela Sue Shoop was hot! Top ten MPI babe. When she comes out of the shower with nothing but a towel and is ready, willing and able...well TSM has much more willpower than I would!

Primbud
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#45 Post by Primbud »

I know what you're thinking. And you're right ... What is a newbie doing posting here ... ?

Well, I recently joined up. I've been checking out this site for it's episode pages because I find reading them prior to viewing an episode makes the viewing experience richer, allowing me to look for things such as filming sites and story parts I might otherwise gloss over.

I enjoy 'Magnum, P. I. ' very much and my mom used to watch it too. Originally, I liked the music & the classiness and saw myself in the protagonist. Later, I began to take on the characteristics in turn. For instance, I wear a stainless steel watch due to multiple reasons, one being that it reminded me of what Magnum wears and how my band resembles his wrist wear on the our skins.

Apparently, I was the 100th vote for part 1 of the pilot and gave it a 7 out of 10. & part 2 an 8 out of 10. I've rated every episode I've seen except 2-3 on the 0-10 scale, episodes running the spectrum of those 11 ratings. I had the series but was missing 14 episodes (went to Netflix to rate the missing ones until they took my Instant viewing away) until someone got me the complete set for my birthday recently. :D
So although I used this site, mainly for the episode pages, before, I felt worthy to sign up once I got the set.
Last edited by Primbud on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.