Season 1 General Discussion

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Season 1 General Discussion

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Please post any general comments regarding Season 1 here. For episode-specific posts, please use the correct episode thread.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Magnum T. »

It is hard to comment on a Season, since the quality of the single episodes may vary a lot.
As a first season I think this is pretty good.
Sure they were still developing some aspects but the basics (settings, characters, backgrounds) are there.
There are very good episodes (Pilot, China Doll, Lest we forget), good episodes (Thank heaven... (yes, I like that one!), Missing in Action, J. "Digger" Doyle), not-so-good episodes (Skin Deep, No need to know, Adelaide) but all in all there is something interesting or funny or touching in each of these first 18 episodes.
A good starting point for what was going to be one of the best and most iconic tv-show ever!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#3 Post by Styles Bitchley »

While this may not be the best season, I think it is my favourite...

Does that make sense??? :lol:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Coops »

I think it's a very strong season. It's pretty amazing how, right out of the chute, the show had all of its little nuances already in place. There are a lot of subtle things in this season.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

watching the DVD now after getting it for Christmas.........it is cool for me to see the development of the characters from my now older perspective. I was 13-14 when this premiered and there is something to be said about what gets lost in a weekly series and then a summer hiatus. Watching episodes back to back and/or over consecutive nights really ties in the nuances and subtle changes in production. The most obvious one is when they switch to the more familiar opening theme song, but I've been paying attention to other details. I'm about 7-8 shows in and I've already seen multiple production changes such as closing credit theme song switching to the popular overall theme. also, Thomas' little voice isn't as polished yet in usage and sound quality. Another is background music during the episode. It really kicks in with the Never Again....Never Again episode. Now we have more updated backgropund music that takes it from its' 70's feel and gives it its' own identity. By this episode, you can clearly see a more polished production that really doesn't change much going forward except when they adopt the popular Mike Post opening........but it is used here in snippets during the episode and closing credits. It's fun to see the evolution.

I'm amazed of what I CAN see now.......watching all these years later.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Seaver41 »

getting to the end of season 1 now and it seems light years ahead now from the early episodes in terms of production quality and flow. Series is hitting its' stride. All in all a very good group of episodes save 1 or 2. I agree Digger Doyle would be a better finale for season, but oh well.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re:

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:While this may not be the best season, I think it is my favourite...

Does that make sense??? :lol:
I understand totally. The plots may not be as good in some areas, but the interactions were all fresh and new and fun. I loved this season and while I appreciate the more intricate and meaningful later episodes as well, there's something organically "right" about this season, and for me, most of 2 and 3 as well.

I think it's kind of like your best memories of growing up. The crazy and fun things you did with your friends when you were younger always seem brighter in memories and while they will be there for you later in more important and meaningful ways, it's those bright new days that always come to mind first.

Or is that a little too Stand By Me . . . :wink:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Re:

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ConchRepublican wrote:Or is that a little too Stand By Me . . . :wink:
Just the right amount of Stand By Me! :wink: I'm certainly at that stage in life. I'm constantly reminded of it watching my kids grow up. You never know it's the good ole days when you're in the middle of them!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Estate resident
Captain

Re: Season 1 General Discussion

#9 Post by Estate resident »

Season #1 is so far & away THE best season of mpi its almost a different show, especially the 2 hr pilot. MV is the same thing. Both shows eventually became charactures of themselves to where the last couple of seasons are painful to watch IMO. I think the show peaked w/ season 3 & for the most part generally declined from there, although there definitely were some damned good eps. throughout the series.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KingKC »

Season 1 was, in my humble opinion, by far, the best of all. In the thread Best and Weakest Seasons I posted the average ratings of all episodes for all eight seasons and Season 1 came in second by a little less than 12/100 of a point. Make a note that I have not voted yet on my favorite episodes yet and I assure you that a lot of episodes in Season One would receive an 8.5 and several would get a 9.0 or better. I doubt if my voting would allow Season 1 to take over first place but it would make it a closer race.

My favorite episode in is Season One: Lest We Forget. I am a huge June Lockhart fan going back to when she was "Timmy's Mother" in the late 1950s on the show "Lassie." Everyone talks about Anne Lockhart being beautiful, and she is, but June Lockhart is a pretty good looking "mama" in her own right.

Look at all of the guest stars in Season One. Robert Loggia, Rebecca Holden, Lance LeGault, Jose Ferrer, Noah Berry, Jr., Erin Grey, Marcia Wallace, Ted Danson, and Mercedes McCambridge. These actors helped make Season One great.

KingKC

magnum44
Ensign

#11 Post by magnum44 »

does anyone know the title of the episode i think its in season 1 when TC puts higgins outside on the hotel balcony and locks him outside
Regards Andrew

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Sam »

Hi Andrew..

Season 1 episode 4...
Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too

http://magnum-mania.com/Pics/Screen_Cap ... html#One.4

magnum44
Ensign

#13 Post by magnum44 »

thank you Sam
Regards Andrew

karolis
Admiral

#14 Post by karolis »

This would be my top list of season one:

1. J. “Digger” Doyle
2-3. Don’t Eat Snow in Hawaii (1 & 2) –
4. Never Again
5. The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club
6. Lest We Forget
7. China Doll
8. No Need to Now
9. Missing in Action
10. Skin Deep
11. The Black Orchid
12. Don’t Say Goodbye
13. Thicker Than Blood
14. Beauty Knows No Pain
15. Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too
16. The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii
17. All Roads Lead to Floyd
18. Adelaide

First 6 - great, 7-14 - good, 15-18 weaker ones.

duvduv
Lieutenant

#15 Post by duvduv »

Believe it or not I never saw MPI in the 1980s. I am starting to watch it online for the first time and am half way through the first season. I think it is a very good and very well produced show in beautiful Hawaii. But one thing does bother me. I am getting tired of the constant sarcasm thrown around, especially between Higgins and Magnum. It's rather boring. Also, they could have cut down a bit on T.C.'s sarcasm as well. Just my two cents.