6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 144

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

rubber chicken wrote:And from this page: "Notable grave sites include that of Chan Apana, the bullwhip-toting Honolulu policeman who was the model for fictional Charlie Chan [...]"

How fitting! The inspiration for one of the earliest pop culture Private Investigators lies buried where another great P.I. films a show 50 years later.
Very, very interesting! Thanks again RC! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

Re: A Great Episode! Did You Notice The Flub?

#22 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

eegorr wrote:Ho could be her cousin or her uncle. I don't think there was any other mention of him, and it is more likely that Selleck screwed up memorized dialog (when he referred to Ho as her cousin) than narration, unless there was a problem with the script.
I prefer to think that *Magnum* misspoke one time or the other. As we all know, it's his little flaws that make him such an interesting character!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

Re: FLUBS AND CONTINUITY ERRORS

#23 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Shermy wrote:
SelleckLover wrote:Back in the early 1980's almost no one had a VCR. You watched an episode one time and maybe you might see it one more time in reruns during the summer.
This surely affected the mindset of the show's creators as well. .... The original Star Trek is filled with such flubs in continuity, and the actors would often point them out to the director. Of course, the director's usual response was "no one will really notice".

But even more than dvd, the internet has really led to continuity becoming a huge issue.
Most VERY early television was done live, not recorded in any way. Then came kinescopes (films made with a special movie camera / tv monitor hookup), and the summer rerun was born, enabling viewers to say, "See, I told you he flubbed that line!" (Filmed series like I Love Lucy and the later introduction of videotape simply made for better-quality reruns.)

The first really big increase in the viewer's ability to notice continuity errors came with syndication. See an episode only once or twice, and (as SL notes) you're not likely to remember it in great detail. But see the same episode every 16 weeks (as we Star Trek fans did during 70's syndication), and pretty soon you have it memorized.

But I agree, VCR's, DVD's, and the Internet have raised the ante again!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by lutherhgillis »

I find it remarkable that MPI kept the level of continuity at its highest. Except for a few things, it remained true to its previous years. This is a testimony to the quality of the show's actors, writers, and producers...

Back then I'm sure they had no idea we would be watching every episode with such scrutiny :wink:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#25 Post by IslandHopper »

I think one of the reasons why there were so many continuity errors is that the show had many different writers over the course of eight years. I guess the show had someone dedicated to continuity to consult with the various writers, but there were a ton of these type of errors.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#26 Post by ConchRepublican »

I'm a big fan of this episode. I think this is when you really get the feel of the series. The 2-part pilot was a bit more serious in tone overall. Here I think Thomas' easy going ways come through a little better.

"Hi, Ho", for example. I love that!!!!!!

Of course, he doesn't stray far from the Bad-A$$ shown in the pilot when he takes on the Tong. It shows he is a soldier, well trained, and will kill if necessary. No agonizing over it, he knows when the choice needs to be made and does what needs to be done. A throwback to the 30's and 40's noir I think TM looked up to (how many people now refer to Hammett and Chandler?) growing up.

This episode I feel also cements the relationship between the three. When things go sideways and they have to get dirty, these battle hardened vets come up with a plan and put it into action. They know what needs to be done and go do it. Sure, Rick, as usual draws the short straw and has to ferry the Tong around, and gets clocked for it, but, well, everyone has a role. I like to think his training saved his life.

All in all, a little corny (well, that is Magnum) but a favorite of mine.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#27 Post by Agatha »

I liked this episode A LOT. There's the Chinese culture...generations of a family willing to give their lives to keep the ashes of the Emperor safe...Tongs, which I knew existed but learned more about. There's more about the main characters...Higgins knows that the vase is a reproduction (not a fake!) and we learn that he worked at a museum for a time so he knows how to re-assemble the pieces of the vase. I agree with ConchRepublican that it shows us how Thomas, Rick and TC are able to use their war experience when necessary to solve a current problem. And we see, again, how committed Thomas is to what's "right". Even though he "went a little crazy" over Mi Ling, he holds her accountable when she lies to Higgins about the seal and when TC is attacked by the Tong. It's like his time in Viet Nam has given him an "edge" when it comes to knowing what has to be done...and the wherewithall to do it! This is true of all of them, really...Thomas, Rick, TC and Higgins. Very resourceful.

Additional bits of "insider information"...Thomas correcting Mi Ling when she calls him a Private Eye...he prefers Investigator. And Higgins being frustrated because Thomas always seem to know the combination to the safe.

:)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Frodoleader »

Watched this yesterday and found it to be one of the better MPI episodes. It has the right mix of seriousness and levity we all enjoy in MPI.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

Conch, Agatha, Frodo - great points! I couldn't agree more. This has become one of my favorite "early" episodes.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#30 Post by Agatha »

I'm chopping up turkey necks for the dogs today and am rewarding my self...and getting to sit down periodically...by working on my Season 1 thoughts. I voted for all of them last night and am going to "think" about them today.

I see that I've already commented on China Doll. My additional thoughts are that the conversation between Mi Ling, Higgins and Thomas at the estate is wonderful...conversations, really, since there are two of them going on at once...seamlessly, flawlessly and apparently effortlessly. I think it's easy to get caught up in how bright and fun and action-packed this series is and forget about how really GOOD it is because it's so subtle. A "given"...that we just take for granted, I think.

I love "Hi, Ho!"

I'm also fascinated by the supporting cast. Yankee Chang (Uncle Han) is in several episodes. George Kee Cheung (Choi) is also Victor in Holmes Is Where The Heart Is. and Lee DeBroux (Salty) is Gallagher in The Arrow That Is Not Aimed.

Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#31 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I really enjoyed watching this episode b/c it was action-packed and intriguing. I love Uncle Ho's expression.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#32 Post by N1095A »

That poor tourist couple! First they survive the harrowing flight with TC and TM, then somehow make it back to Oahu, and try to get a pedicab ride from Rick who promptly sends them packing. MPI didn't exactly give that couple a great tourist experience in Hawaii :lol: .
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Frodoleader »

Wouldn't it been great if they were brought back in the final MPI episode, Resolutions? That would have been hilarious! :lol:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by lutherhgillis »

Forget it, Frodo.

I don't think those people would ever return to Hawaii. Crazy Haole...

:lol:

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#35 Post by Agatha »

You're right, luthergillis! To quote the lady after TC asks them if they're sure they won't change their minds about flying back from Kauai with him...

"Not ever!"

Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!