5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 144

Sam
Fleet Admiral

Re: China Doll (1.3)

#91 Post by Sam »

marlboro wrote:Neat.

I recently received the box set as a gift and I've just started rewatching the series for the first time in years. It's kind of fun watching the opening credits at the beginning of each season and waiting to see which episode the various clips will appear in.
If you're curious on the origins of the openings,click on season 2 under general discussions,Kalai-pahoa has posted them.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#92 Post by marlboro »

Very cool. Heh, they made us wait 22 episodes for the snorkel shot.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#93 Post by ConchRepublican »

marlboro wrote:Very cool. Heh, they made us wait 22 episodes for the snorkel shot.
:lol:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#94 Post by marlboro »

"Nobody's that fast."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#95 Post by J.J. Walters »

He should have struck before he blinked that time. ;) Classic scene.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

Re: A Great Episode! Did You Notice The Flub?

#96 Post by Hawaii Winds »

IslandHopper wrote:This is one of the my favorite episodes from season 1. Did you notice the flub? The flub occurred when Magnum entered the Treasures of the Dove at the beginning of the episode. When he entered, the narration by Magnum/Selleck referred to Mai Lin's "Uncle" Ho, when in fact it was her "Cousin" Ho.

Caught that today while I was watching season 1.3....Hi Ho!

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#97 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Did anyone catch the part where they just landed in Kauai and the passengers told TC that they riding back with him, TC get emotional and says to TM that he going inside for a beer! Well, we all know TC doesn't drink....just coffee!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#98 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hawaii Winds wrote:Did anyone catch the part where they just landed in Kauai and the passengers told TC that they riding back with him, TC get emotional and says to TM that he going inside for a beer! Well, we all know TC doesn't drink....just coffee!
There are a few slips here and there where he drinks up until "Thicker than Blood".. where it's legit for the rest of the series.

I think once he realized Magnum was going to be picked up, he said... OK, this is how my character will be played.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#99 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was far different from the pilot movie I thought, but it had ups and downs for me.

Themain gripe I had was they seemed to contradict the relationship between Magnum and his "China Doll." One instant they seem to be a steady couple that have been seeing each other for a few weeks and the next they are made to seem to not really know much about each other and have very little relationship. I wasn't a fan of the guy blinking like a Chineese Barbara Eden and then being able to destroy whatever he wanted. I also wasn't a huge fan of Magnum taking a wound again. I know he was shot, stabbed, etc a LOT, but coming in the second episode after he'd already been shot was a bit much.

I loved how they established Higgins knew all of these languages and was knowledgeable in many different cultures. He was absolutely great here. It also showed how ineffective the lads were to be during the whole course of the series. I thought Magnum vs. a Tong warrior was a great concept since they were total opposites in fighting style and trainings. It was also a great build up to establish TC would always help Magnum, but was frustrated he never got compensated for it.

ConchRepublican

#100 Post by ConchRepublican »

SignGuyHPW wrote: I wasn't a fan of the guy blinking like a Chineese Barbara Eden and then being able to destroy whatever he wanted.
Everybody has a "tell". :wink:

I actually kinda like that aspect. After Bruce Lee, the martial arts, and martial artists, were raised to this almost mystical level - the one inch punch, slowing breathing, controlling pain, gathering Chi. I like that this mysterious Tong warrior (a virtual unknown group in early 80s America) has his flaws, like our guy Thomas. It deconstructs the mysterious Orient while at the same time helping continue the mystery with the other portions of the story.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Higgins (aka Bondtoys)
Fleet Admiral

#101 Post by Higgins (aka Bondtoys) »

When Magnum and Mai Lin are driving in the Ferrari, there is a black cable visible in the background that leaves the passenger bay when the camera is on her. Is that a microphone cable?

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#102 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Bondtoys.de wrote:When Magnum and Mai Lin are driving in the Ferrari, there is a black cable visible in the background that leaves the passenger bay when the camera is on her. Is that a microphone cable?

I bet it would be, I'll have to look at the episode again.....thanks

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#103 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Just watched this episode again on COZI, just wondering if anyone caught the "flub" in beginning when TM was arguing with TC in the helicopter, supposedly on their way to Kauai to meet with Mai Ling right when they bank hard right, right when TM says "That really hurt TC" you can see Makapuu Lighthouse right in front of them, which is in Oahu. I guess an island, is an island when you're in a chopper!

Artie Canoe
Captain

#104 Post by Artie Canoe »

I'm re-watching the series from the beginning and this is a solid episode for the first season with some cross-cultural themes. Actually I haven't been to the site for a long time, but since then I have learned Chinese and one thing that really stood out to me was the dialogue between Mai Ling and "Cousin Ho" in extremely broken Mandarin. I'm not sure if they learned the lines right before shooting but it was clear they are not native speakers in any regard. Not to be picky though; the first few times I watched it I had no idea what Chinese should sound like! :lol:

Glad to be back :magnum:
"I forgot my loincloth and spear." - Luther H. Gillis

ConchRepublican

#105 Post by ConchRepublican »

Artie Canoe wrote:I'm re-watching the series from the beginning and this is a solid episode for the first season with some cross-cultural themes. Actually I haven't been to the site for a long time, but since then I have learned Chinese and one thing that really stood out to me was the dialogue between Mai Ling and "Cousin Ho" in extremely broken Mandarin. I'm not sure if they learned the lines right before shooting but it was clear they are not native speakers in any regard. Not to be picky though; the first few times I watched it I had no idea what Chinese should sound like! :lol:

Glad to be back :magnum:
Welcome back Artie!

This episode is one of my faves. The first real episode after the pilot movie I think it does a good job setting the tone for the series.

"Hi Ho!" and TM's look gets me every time. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot