6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 144

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MaiTaiMan »

N1095A wrote:Just noticed, TM wears the team ring on his left hand in this episode. Not sure if this is the only time, but I know in later episodes he wears it on his right.
Yeah, there are a few episodes where Magnum switches the ring from hand to hand, for some reason. The left hand is for marriage...while the right is for other rings. So, don't know why he did this?
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#52 Post by Majordomo »

If I am not mistaken, this is the first episode where Higgins breaks the fourth wall.

I also have a question and I do not know if it is ever really revealed, but is Cousin Ho (who is initially referred to as "Uncle Ho") actually Uncle Hahn's son? My assumption is yes, but I never actually caught an allusion to this.

Also, screenshot of the shower babe on the beach!

:shock:

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Incredibly long hair... noticed that with envy when I first saw that! :lol:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Magnum T. »

Hair are not the only "incredible" thing she has. :shock:
She has a gorgeous orange bikini, to name one. :lol:
Wonder what her name is.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Magnum T. wrote:Hair are not the only "incredible" thing she has. :shock:
She has a gorgeous orange bikini, to name one. :lol:
Wonder what her name is.
Exactly...nice...everything!! :wink: Wonder where she is today, and if she watches this episode with grandkids and goes--that's me! when the scene plays. :P
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Men obviously notice different things :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#57 Post by J.J. Walters »

The lady showering on the beach is actually from the 1979 TV movie The Chinese Typewriter, starring Tom Selleck and James Whitmore Jr. It was used again in Season Four's "Limited Engagement". Beautiful, just beautiful!

I believe our old friend golfmobile spotted this when watching the movie.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Magnum T. »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Men obviously notice different things :lol:
But I DID notice her hair too!
I absolutely adore long straight blonde hair!
Only I happened to notice a few other... "interesting features" of hers.
J.J. Walters wrote:The lady showering on the beach is actually from the 1979 TV movie The Chinese Typewriter, starring Tom Selleck and James Whitmore Jr. It was used again in Season Four's "Limited Engagement". Beautiful, just beautiful!

I believe our old friend golfmobile spotted this when watching the movie.
Really?
Gotta keep my eyes peeled to spot her then.

Edit: the "shower girl" is on screen for a few seconds in episode 1.9 "Missing in Action".
Last edited by Magnum T. on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Men obviously notice different things :lol:
I noticed it "all"!! :wink: Hair, bikini, shape, "features", etc... :lol:

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Fun to see the interior of Club Hubba Hubba again. For some more extended shots about that time watch the awful "North Shore" surf flick. Magnum and China doll walk by "Food for life health food store" three times in 30 seconds!
What color glaze? Blood red. Oh. What a bloody shame. - wow. Higgy baby just broke the 4th wall. - We have plenty of china dolls here like this and better. I probably fall in love with one or another once a day in line at the Safeway register. - I love how magnum commands rick to give TC anything he wants. as if only he decides or can afford... or as if magnum is connected to TC and rick ain't. Didn't much care for the beach scene. too many banana hammocks. The pedicabs seen were popular in the 70's and 80's but fell out of favor by politicians and waikiki developers. And the pedicabs were never seen in Chinatown or Hotel street as we see in the beginning. Magnum pronounces it as "Right were she let him away from. Koo Wuyyy." Magnums stunt double has a much fuller 'fro head of hair than Tom. - Look at the safe. Sooooo easily breached; the hinges with pins are exposed. Just take a framing hammer. One chisel. Upwards stroke twice. Voila. In and out. Those Paradise Found brand aloha shirts soared in popularity when magnum was running. One is in the smithsonian as the Magnum shirt. But that's probably old news to everyone here...

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Braddah Kimo »

Just saw a few screencaps the other day on this site showing shots from China Doll querying the locale of a brick laden walkway. Just realized: It's at the Cooke Estate. Interior (open air) courtyard entrance coming from the back part of the estate, facing the guest quarters. This was of course before the major paintjob which unfortunately required all the fern and wall covering foliage to be removed. Although much of the vertical foliage would be set decorating because in the middle of that wall before next shot, there is a large double glass door. It was covered up for the scene. IF... they actually continued as they were, they would end up in a large room of the estate which looks much larger than the soundstage shot they used. Good seamless set decorating and editing, of course makes it seem all as one place.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#62 Post by J.J. Walters »

Braddah Kimo wrote:Fun to see the interior of Club Hubba Hubba again.
Ah! So the scene with Duffy the sailor meeting Choi the assassin is at Club Hubba Hubba! I suspected it was, but could never verify it! Thanks Braddah Kimo!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Braddah Kimo »

yeppers. Hubba had that long catwalk extending into the room. And a familiar bar setup. Do check that movie North Shore. I will try put up a clip on my youtube channel of that segment.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Seaver41 »

now that Santa has brought me DVDs of seasons 1 and 2......I am sitting down to watch these in order (hopefully ordering the future seasons as well). It has likely been 25-31 years since i have seen this episode. I know I watched Magnum in early syndication, but beyond the end of the series i really didn't watch it at all........so most posts here are memory based. Now at least i can watch these with a fresh perspective of being 44 yrs old and not that of a teenager back then.

All that hot air said........this was a very good episode that opened a bit clumsily. The whole flying to see her and barely knowing her thing was a bit forced on us to kickstart the plot...but the episode soon got into the flow. A prelude to the Ivan ending.

Loved the scenery. Since visiting Oahu in 2005, I now look at any show filmed there closely.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Sam »

J.J. Walters wrote:
Braddah Kimo wrote:Fun to see the interior of Club Hubba Hubba again.
Ah! So the scene with Duffy the sailor meeting Choi the assassin is at Club Hubba Hubba! I suspected it was, but could never verify it! Thanks Braddah Kimo!
I found a good article on the Club Hubba Hubba from Nov 2011 and photos on Flickr of the renovation.

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolul ... e=0#artanc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/portaltoth ... 652677374/