1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 144

Turkey
Admiral

Re: China Doll (1.3)

#131 Post by Turkey »

Great episode - the characters are mostly fully formed, especially for so early in the show's run.

However, I don't buy everyone laughing at Magnum's abilities as 'protector' seeing as they served in Nam with him and know he's more than capable. Of course, maybe they're just laughing at him because they know he thinks he's going to 'get lucky'?
Make it two weeks.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#132 Post by Danny Lin »

On everyone laughing at Magnum´s abilities as a protector:
Turkey wrote:Great episode - the characters are mostly fully formed, especially for so early in the show's run.

However, I don't buy everyone laughing at Magnum's abilities as 'protector' seeing as they served in Nam with him and know he's more than capable. Of course, maybe they're just laughing at him because they know he thinks he's going to 'get lucky'?
I guess your first assumption is right. They´re supposed to laugh at Thomas because they think that he´s incapable of being a protector to Mai Ling. That´s one of those things that occur repeatedly throughout the shows run: Higgins, T.C. and Rick every now and then show a little disrespect for Thomas profession as for example when he´s having a case involving jealous husbands or wifes.

And just like you I don´t buy those scenes in this episode. They´re a clear inconsistency in the story of the characters involved. Poor writing which unfortunately happens far too often...

Edit: After having seen the sequences again, I now tend to your second assumption that they are meant to laugh at Magnum because they believe to know that he would try to get lucky. Especially Higgins saying "...the thought of you, protecting a beautiful woman..." got me to change my mind on those "laughing sequences."
But this doesn´t really make things better. It remains poor writing anyway since even if Magnum in fact "got lucky" that certainly wouldn´t mean that he would neglect his job to protect the girls from what threatens them. After all they´re grown up people. And at least Rick (perhaps not so much Higgins yet) would know very well about Thomas abilities from their times in Vietnam.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#133 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnum mutating into James Bond:

It was already pointed out by some of you that in the graveyard scenes there are some sound effects used that are known from the six million dollar man.

Did you realize that there is a scene where Magnum kinda mutates into James Bond?

The music that is played from the moment when Magnum starts off from the King Kamehameha Club in the Ferrari together with Mai Ling until he turns in on the main road is as clearly taken from James Bond as the "bionic" music is taken from the x million dollar man.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#134 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "no passenger"-flub:
Pahonu wrote:

By the way, the flub mentioned in the episode guide about the Ferrari leaving the KKC with only the driver might be wrong. Look closely, the Ferrari is driving on the left side of the (divided) road and it looks like Magnum's head sticking up a little above the roof but on the right. I think they flipped the negative so we are looking at a mirror image. The head on the left would be the girl. It's at about 27:08.

What do you think?
Here we need to distinguish the scene in which Magnum turns in on the main road from the scene after the next cut, showing him just driving down the road (on the left side as you mentioned, Pahonu).
The flub from the episode guide refers to the scene when Magnum turns in on the road. Anyway in fact there is no flub. If you watch carefully you will see the head of the person sitting in the passenger seat, even without using the pause button. Using the pause button it gets clear that there´s someone sitting in the passenger seat.

On the next scene, where the car drives on the left of the divided road and the driver is seen on the right: That seems to be the same thing as in "Don´t eat the snow in Hawaii", when the letters on the helicopter are reversed. As someone suggested for the helicopter scene even in the scene from "China Doll" the vehicle probably was needed to move in the other direction on screen than it in fact was filmed like. So they just reversed the film.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#135 Post by Danny Lin »

On the uncle Ho/ cousin Ho question:
IslandHopper wrote:

Did you notice the flub? The flub occurred when Magnum entered the Treasures of the Dove at the beginning of the episode. When he entered, the narration by Magnum/Selleck referred to Mai Lin's "Uncle" Ho, when in fact it was her "Cousin" Ho.
eegorr wrote:

I watched this episode this morning and was just about to post that!

It could be either way, actually: Ho could be her cousin or her uncle. I don't think there was any other mention of him, and it is more likely that Selleck screwed up memorized dialog (when he referred to Ho as her cousin) than narration, unless there was a problem with the script.
IslandHopper wrote:eegorr,

I haven't watched the "China Doll" episode in a while, but I believe that there was a reference to "Ho" as Mai Lin's "Cousin." I think it was after TC gets attacked by the Tong-Warrior and Magnum and Mai Lin are driving to her Grandfather's house, and Mai Lin was explaining her family's legacy of protecting the "Soul of Sung" to Magnum, and how all or most of her relatives before her have died protecting the "Soul of Sung" and then Magnum refers to "Cousin Ho." The last time I watched this episode was on DVD. The television version may have edited that scene out for time.
eegorr wrote:

You certainly have a good memory!

That scene was in the show as presented on WGN this morning. It is what I referred to as memorized dialog. The narration near the beginning of the show, when Magnum referred to Ho as Mai Lin's Uncle, was probably read from a script without having to be memorized, so it is more likely to be correct, IMHO.

Unless there was a error in the script, of course!
IslandHopper wrote:I see what you mean eegorr. I always thought the reference by Magnum to Ho as "Counsin Ho" was how it was meant to be, and that there was either a mistake in the script that referred to Ho as "Uncle Ho," or TS just made a mistake in the narration, because Ho looks about the same age as Mai Lin, if not younger. However, I understand it is possible for a niece to be older than her uncle.

I just find it interesting how many flubs and continuity errors make it past the film editors. Of course, this is a TV series and I'm sure they have demanding time limits to deal with and probably let some flubs slide rather than taking the time to correct the error.
There is an additional scene that has to be taken into consideration:
When Magnum and Mai Ling enter Higgins´ study at the end, Higgins offers Mai Ling his condolences on the death of her "Cousin" Ho.
Also in both of those dialogues in which "Cousin" Ho is mentioned one can read from the lips of Thomas as well as Higgins that what they actually say is "cousin", so that we can assume that that´s what the writers meant it to be like.

If there was made a mistake by Tom when speaking the voice over monologue at the beginning or if there was a mistake in the script is mere speculation.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#136 Post by Danny Lin »

On the window up/down flub:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:

* Possible blooper - When Magnum and Mai Ling arrive at Robin's Nest, Magnum's window on the Ferrari seems to be down. When Zeus and Apollo run up, it is closed. A few moments later after he has got out, the window is visibly down again.

From when Magnum and Mai Ling enter the estate with the Ferrari until the end of the scenes with the dogs I can´t spot any occasion where Magnums window seems to be down. Certainly during a break in the following conversation between Higgins, Mai Ling and Magnum, Magnum takes the box containing the vase from the drivers seat through the open window. But since some time goes by between the dogs barking at Magnum in the car and Mai Ling petting the dogs (Higgins is shown meanwhile, wondering why the barking of the dogs stops, then walking to see why) we simply have to assume that what Magnum did while Mai Ling took care of the dogs was to put the box from the front trunk onto the drivers seat and have the window lowered down. So that´s not a flub.

But in fact there is another possible flub during the scenes when the dogs are jumping at the car, barking:
Magnum is shown in three close ups. In the first one he asks Mai Ling: "Mai Ling, how are you with animals?" In the next one the dogs start jumping at the car, barking. In the third one Thomas says to Mai Ling: "That kind." (after she had asked him: "What kind?").
During the first and the third close up the car is in the same position in front of the background (entrance of Robins Nest). During the second close up either the car is in a different position or so is the camera. If it´s just the camera this probably couldn´t be called a flub.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#137 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "flub" according Magnums scar:

In the episode guide in the category "flub" it says:

"The scar that was seen on Magnum's left shoulder in the "Pilot Movie" is nowhere to be seen in this episode. The scar will return (and disappear again) in future episodes."

Now. I wonder: Since Magnum isn´t seen without a shirt anywhere in this episode, how could it be called a flub that his scar on the shoulder is nowhere to be seen??

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#138 Post by Danny Lin »

On the shower lady being stock footage:
J.J. Walters wrote:The lady showering on the beach is actually from the 1979 TV movie The Chinese Typewriter, starring Tom Selleck and James Whitmore Jr. It was used again in Season Four's "Limited Engagement". Beautiful, just beautiful!

I believe our old friend golfmobile spotted this when watching the movie.
Additionally in the episode guide it says:
"The shot of Waikiki beach with a girl showering at a beachside shower is stock footage from the 1979 TV movie The Chinese Typewriter starring Tom Selleck and James Whitemore Jr. The footage will be used again in "Missing in Action" (1.9) and Season Four's "Limited Engagement" (4.5)."

There are one and a half observations I made, that would speak against the shower lady scenes being stock footage.

The half one:
There´s a scene in which you see only the shower girls face being under the shower, focussed, in the foreground. In the background you see a person unfocussed. When the lady takes her face back from the shower and out of the picture, the camera focusses through the still running shower to the background and the person there turns out to be Magnum. If the shower scene on Waikiki beach was stock footage the girl face showering in the described scene with Magnum in the background most likely wouldn´t be the same girl as the one seen before, showering, in the panorama shot of Waikiki Beach (unless they had rehired the same girl to shoot the scene with Magnum). But as far as I can spot, both shots are in fact of the same girl.
Anyway I can be wrong according that and that´s why I call it a "half" observation.

But here´s the whole one:
In the panorama scene with the girl showering on Waikiki Beach, in the background, on the beach, you can see the sails of two boats lying there. Towards the end of the scene you see a third boat coming into frame, sailing towards the beach. Significant and characteristic are the boats multicoloured sails.
Then in the scene when magnum runs to the phone after it rang, by their sails, you can spot the exact same three boats lying on the beach in the background as in the panorama shower scene. An additional (fourth) boat (second from the left) is now lying between them but you can see that the position of the first three boats in front of the Sheraton and The Royal Hawaiian is as good as the same as in the panorama shower scene. And this contradicts the shower scene being stock footage but rather confirms that the Waikiki Beach scenes of China Doll even have been filmed at the same day.

Furthermore using the same footage in different episodes of a show is common but using stock footage from other film projects that can be recognized for a show seems unlikely to be done.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#139 Post by Danny Lin »

On a flub while Magnum runs along the beach:

When Magnum runs along the beach, looking out for Mai Ling, you see him passing by from left to right in front of a red catamaran with a blue, red and yellow coloured sail. After a cut you see him continue to run on the beach into the same direction. He thereby passes the same catamaran for a second time.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#140 Post by Danny Lin »

On the episode as such:

Many on here have written about how much they like this episode and certainly there were many things mentioned about it that are really nice. On the other hand there are some things that I find just bad:

The first one is the way that Mai Ling at different occasions tries to manipulate Magnum by the use of female allurements. Women who try this make me throw up! And men who fall for such cheap manipulations I just simply can´t take seriously.

An other thing is Chois "mistake" at the end. It already was mentioned by some of you:
golfmobile wrote:

On another note with respect to this scene, I believe that there is no way a skilled martial arts guy like Choi would let his attention be distracted away from TM, the potential enemy on the ground right in front of him, to look up at TC's chopper, and particularly not for the length of time his attention was distracted (about 3 full seconds). That looked really "set up" to me -- just to allow TM to get the .45.

Magnum T. wrote:

Just one thing bothers me, the way the Tong screws things up at the end.
Work the guy don't look at the d... helicopter!

marlboro wrote:"Nobody's that fast."

To let him make a mistake like that is ridiculous to an extent that means an insult to the audience! Who on the planet is to believe that a person who is skilled in a martial art to an extent as Choi is and who has adopted their skills without compromise throughout the whole episode to make such a mistake???!!!

Same thing in the scene in which Salty grabs Choi by his cheek and boasts how he has fought all the martial arts between Singapore and Yokohama (obviously by brute force) and "aint been whipped yet". Brute force against martial arts skills??!! NNOO WWAAYY!!

Yah. Those things really drag down the quality of the episode. It´s a pity. To rate this episode as one of the best is nowhere close to real to me.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#141 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "empty passenger seat in the chopper flub":

The episode guide says (#6 in the flub section):
"In part of the same scene as flub #5, for a brief moment you only see one person in chopper (the pilot). The passenger seat (Magnum's seat) is suddenly empty."

Flub #5 refers to the scene in which Magnum and TC approach Kauai at the beginning of the episode. Nowhere during that scene I can spot a moment at which the passenger seat is empty.

But when Magnum and TC approach Kauai for the second time during the episode (close to the end), right when Magnum says: "She wasn´t planting flowers, she was hiding the vase!" the helicopter is seen from the outside. It turns and the sunlight falling onto the passenger seat proves it to be empty.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: Re:

#142 Post by Danny Lin »

Danny Lin wrote:On the "no passenger"-flub:
Pahonu wrote:

By the way, the flub mentioned in the episode guide about the Ferrari leaving the KKC with only the driver might be wrong. Look closely, the Ferrari is driving on the left side of the (divided) road and it looks like Magnum's head sticking up a little above the roof but on the right. I think they flipped the negative so we are looking at a mirror image. The head on the left would be the girl. It's at about 27:08.

What do you think?
Here we need to distinguish the scene in which Magnum turns in on the main road from the scene after the next cut, showing him just driving down the road (on the left side as you mentioned, Pahonu).
The flub from the episode guide refers to the scene when Magnum turns in on the road. Anyway in fact there is no flub. If you watch carefully you will see the head of the person sitting in the passenger seat, even without using the pause button. Using the pause button it gets clear that there´s someone sitting in the passenger seat.

On the next scene, where the car drives on the left of the divided road and the driver is seen on the right: That seems to be the same thing as in "Don´t eat the snow in Hawaii", when the letters on the helicopter are reversed. As someone suggested for the helicopter scene even in the scene from "China Doll" the vehicle probably was needed to move in the other direction on screen than it in fact was filmed like. So they just reversed the film.
I just found another sequence probably shot at the same day from the same position as the aforementioned reversed sequence: It is used in Jororo Farewell, when Magnum Follows the Prince´s Limousine from the practise game to the estate. One can see that the road is filmed from the same position. The road doesn´t turn right as in "China Doll" (there reversed), but left. From the shadows of the trees and bushes falling over the road you can see that the shots probably were made at the same time and day.
Unlike in "Jororo Farewell" the Ferrari comes from down the road and drives at the camera. They probably had someone driving up and down the road several times in order to produce some stock footage.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#143 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

J.J. Walters wrote:Check it out, MPI creator/exec. producer/writer Don Bellisario (circa 1980) appears briefly in the opening credits...

Thanks to Pete W. for pointing this out!
Damn it. I just spotted this now while watching the episode and I thought I was the first person to discover this.

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#144 Post by ENSHealy »

1.3 CHINA DOLL
Hawaiian shirts: 2 - cream colored base with light green leaves, red flowers; red jungle bird.
Island Hopper shirts: 2 - dark green with white logo, light blue with dark blue logo.
Body Count: 3 - Sailor, Cousin Ho, Choi
Shirtless: 0
Little Voice: 0
I know what you’re thinking: 0
When I write HTBAWCPI: 0
Investigator corrections: 1
Magnum injuries: 2 throwing star to the hand, kick to the knee requiring use of a cane.
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks: 3 - 2 Magnum, 1 Higgins
Negotiations: 0
Famous guest stars: 0
Magnumometer: 14

There is so much going on in this episode! It may take more than one post to address it all.

First, I would like to nominate Danny Lin for promotion to Fleet Admiral. His flub and flub-busting observations on this episode are 5-star caliber!

Second, I've got to say I'm a bit stunned that after 10 pages of forum commentary, nobody has pointed out the most obvious and undoubtedly correct reason for Tom Selleck's Uncle Ho flub: Uncle Ho = Ho Chi Minh. For verification (not that any was really needed) I googled "Uncle Ho" and guess who the first result was? It would seem like a pretty logical slip of the tongue for a Vietnam vet!!

I know that I am probably mentally corrupted by having been 16 years old when Ball Room Days hit the charts, and I know that the martial art has been correctly referred to here as Wing Chun, but when Choi says it just before exiting through the Hubba Hubba beads, it sure sounds like he says Wang Chung. Talk amongst yourselves.

Script flub: Why does Higgins feel the need to change the safe combination when Magnum only turned the pheasant to reveal the safe's location, he didn't actually open the safe? And by his own comments moments later, we know Magnum didn't actually know the combination until he watched Higgins open the safe right then. This seems like a really out of character failure of deduction on Higgin's part. (Of course we find out later that TM can crack the safe, as presumably the combination was changed before TM stashed the dolls in it, but Higgins can't have known that at the time.)

Geographic flub: at 43:30 when TM and TC are supposedly flying over Kauai, Rabbit Island is clearly seen in the background behind the chopper.

Episode Guide error: the episode guide says "In 1962 in Cairo, Higgins was briefly attached to the British Museum there and learned a thing or two about repairing vases." However, in the episode, Higgins actually says "During the war I was attached to the British Museum in Cairo for a brief stint." For Higgins, "the war" could only be WWII.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS:

Magnum: Not coming back with us, huh?
TC: Gas money.
Magnum: What?
TC: Thomas, I am going to Monkey Pete's for a beer. When I get back, I want those gas tanks topped off and the gas paid for. You got it?
Magnum: Don't you think you ought to use a half hitch there?
TC: You can backstroke to Oahu.

Mai Ling: I'm going to Oahu with you for the weekend.
Magnum: You are?
Mai Ling: Of course, I intend to pay.
Magnum: What for?
Mai Ling: For your services.
Magnum: To protect the vase you're carrying...
Mai Ling: You are a private eye, aren't you?
Magnum: Well, I prefer "private investigator.'' I also prefer to be asked.

Mai Ling: You have unusual friends.
Magnum: I guess you could call Rick that.
Mai Ling: Not just Rick. T.C., Higgins.
Magnum: I wouldn't exactly call Higgins a friend.

Higgins: I hope you don't mind. I've been trying to piece this Ming version back together.
Mai Ling: This is very good.
Higgins: During the war I was attached to the British Museum in Cairo for a brief stint. Learned a thing or two.
Magnum: You never told me that.
Higgins: I don't tell you many things. Which reminds me. The combination to the safe has been changed...to keep undesirables out.
Magnum: Well, a dinner for two at the club says I can get in and out without you knowing it.
Higgins: [ Chuckles ] Impossible.
Magnum: Is it a bet?
Higgins: It's a bet.
Magnum: Come along, Mai Ling. Dinner is on Higgins tonight.
Higgins: You'll have to get into the safe first, Magnum.
Magnum: I know.
Higgins: [Opens safe and sees “Hi guy” sign on geisha dolls inside safe.] Zeus, Apollo, kill!
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#145 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote: Script flub: Why does Higgins feel the need to change the safe combination when Magnum only turned the pheasant to reveal the safe's location, he didn't actually open the safe? And by his own comments moments later, we know Magnum didn't actually know the combination until he watched Higgins open the safe right then. This seems like a really out of character failure of deduction on Higgin's part. (Of course we find out later that TM can crack the safe, as presumably the combination was changed before TM stashed the dolls in it, but Higgins can't have known that at the time.)
I noticed this myself and agree it's a script flub, having Higgins jump to the conclusion that Magnum knew the combination when all he knew was that you can move the painting by turning the pheasant. I feel like this wouldn't have happened later in the series.
Episode Guide error: the episode guide says "In 1962 in Cairo, Higgins was briefly attached to the British Museum there and learned a thing or two about repairing vases." However, in the episode, Higgins actually says "During the war I was attached to the British Museum in Cairo for a brief stint." For Higgins, "the war" could only be WWII.
This is a stretch, but... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yem ... %80%931965

But it's far more likely to just be an error. From his conversation with Jenny in "Tropical Madness," we do know Higgins was in Cairo early in WW2 recovering from injuries.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!