Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
11%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 129

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

#81 Post by KingKC »

A lot of descriptive terms like goofy, lightweight, unbelievable, and too cutesy have been applied to the low image of this episode. I liked it simply because it did a complete turnaround from the super serious, dramatic and violent pilot movie and first episode. But my liking it doesn't mean it was a great show. Most "bad" MPI episodes were still pretty good overall. Remember now that back in the first season (1980-1981) we only got one episode a week and still only had three channels (CBS, NBC, ABC) of first run shows to choose from. We kind of took what we got and didn't complain.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#82 Post by Little Garwood »

Unless I've got her name wrong, the actress who played "Roxanne" is uncredited. The Magnum-Mania image gallery refers to her as "His [Mano's] Girlfriend." Does anyone know who she is? She managed some good comic timing in her brief role.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#83 Post by marlboro »

She looks a little bit like Janis Ward from "Innocence... A Broad."

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#84 Post by magnumette »

hi guys. I am back on boards after a couple of years. Feels nice to reread some of these comments. Just rewatched thank heaven.

my goal - a goal I make every summer- is to rewatch the series I normally end up watching all season 1 and then other randoms but here I go again... has anyone here rewatched the entire series start to finish in order?

I rated thank heaven with a 7.5 2 years ago. maybe a little low, I probably would change it now. honestly every magnum is better than what is out there.

i do love the now retro vibe of this show - it was this show i first saw when first run. I was one of the girls ages and balked at being called a "little" girl but still liked it enough to start watching it

now 35 plus years later
what i liked- the character development and humor : T.C. do you have any more macho leis - it cracks me up . Here is a guy with muscles rippling any lei would be macho on him.......Saigon Suzie's I liked TC being the muscle in early shows, I like TC always having TM 's back what a friend

Higgins - Huggins and "outrageous"

Magnum - how he is seemingly unaware of the teacher's beauty , I just love his interaction with the little girl who thinks he is wonderful. He looks at the little girl with his tender smile dimples and all. I'm enchanted.

He is just perfect as an all around guy . a "friend/big brother/slight romance" to his buddies little sister in the pilot, a guy going a little crazy for the china doll and now a forgiving and helpful man to a flawed teacher. 2nd full episode in and he is shown to be a fluid and complex character

also the scene with the beach bum classic bs that worked! that cracked me up

ok so now im going to watch 1.4

aloha 8)

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#85 Post by magnumette »

oops i meant 1.5

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#86 Post by ConchRepublican »

magnumette wrote:hi guys. I am back on boards after a couple of years. Feels nice to reread some of these comments. Just rewatched thank heaven.

my goal - a goal I make every summer- is to rewatch the series I normally end up watching all season 1 and then other randoms but here I go again... has anyone here rewatched the entire series start to finish in order?

aloha 8)
I have, and I have fallen victim to the same "bounce around" urge you have as well. I am going through them again, started season 2 last week and am on an easy schedule. I still haven't rated or reviewed most episodes though. I don't have that kind of discipline. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome back magnumette!

Like Conch, I have also gone through the entire series....more than a few times. I'd venture a guess, there's more than a few here that could claim the same. :magnum:

I also, like Conch, haven't rated most of it for much the same reason he states. I've found that most episodes, (even the "bad ones"), get better with additional viewings. Though it could be like S. Clemens remarked...."“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”― Mark Twain

Simply put, our own perspective changes as we grow, so things outside of ourselves appear to change but it's mostly how we see them.

I believe I will probably watch the series over and over, until I've either had enough or my copies wear out.

I also am tempted to skip and bounce around, but I usually watch it in order and am glad I did afterward. An exception this time through was the 4th. I was still on season 3 when it rolled around, so in place of the "scheduled" programming for the day, I popped in "Home From The Sea" on the fourth. Gets better every time....even without the 308 making an appearance! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by KingKC »

308GUY wrote:
I also, like Conch, haven't rated most of it for much the same reason he states. I've found that most episodes, (even the "bad ones"), get better with additional viewings. Though it could be like S. Clemens remarked...."“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”― Mark Twain

Simply put, our own perspective changes as we grow, so things outside of ourselves appear to change but it's mostly how we see them.
I have rated very few because my memory and perceptions change over time. Check out point 15 on "Why Magnum P.I.?" There are sentimental reasons we like MPI. The past has a certain romance attached to it. Sandy Koufax, the great Dodger pitcher once said something to the effect that "the longer I have been retired, the greater my accomplishments have become."

This episode as well as most of Seasons 1 and 2 stick in my mind from the original run back in 1980-1982 because of the significant changes occurring in my life at the time. I liked that time of my life and MPI was simply part of it on Thursday nights.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#89 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnum breaking the fourth wall:
J.J. Walters wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:Was this the first episode the use of the 4th wall with Magnum took place?
No, he did it twice in the opening scene of the Pilot when he "steals" the Ferrari. ;)

AAAAAaaannnnddd... He did it in the 3rd episode "China Doll" as well. Hilariously.

In the unforgotten "Hi Ho!"-scene!

... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#90 Post by Danny Lin »

On TC looking for macho leis:
Doc Ibold wrote:

Yes, the plot is weak ... yes, TC ends up looking for Macho Leis.

I think TC´s looking for "macho leis" mustn´t be taken too seriously. He´s waiting in position at a lei stand to take his part of action when him, Rick and Thomas are about to switch the rolled up Gauguin against something else. To seem inconspicuous he pretends to be interested in leis and starts a conversation with the girl at the stand. To gain time he pretends not to be satisfied with what he is offered and repeatedly asks for what he claims to be looking for. I think to let him be looking for a "macho lei" (that can´t actually exist) is just another one of those little things meant to make this episode a funnier kind of story for Christmas.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#91 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnum wearing glasses:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:

* In one scene, Magnum can be seen to be wearing spectacles. (Unless I am much mistaken) this is the only time he is seen as such this end of the show’s run. He would start wearing spectacles on a more regular basis from the sixth season’s ‘The Hotel Dick’ onwards.

In the scene you refer to, Magnum wears the spectacles only very short and for fun when him and Rick go through what was handed over to them by the girls as the left belongings (as Magnum states: the overnight case) of the "runaway teacher". It is obviously a ladies type of glasses and Magnum just very briefly puts them on.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#92 Post by Danny Lin »

On Higgins wanting to call the police on little girls:
MACattack wrote:I can't believe Higgins wanted to call the police on little girls! Modern day Ebenezer Scrooge!
After Higgins confirmed that the rolled up picture the girls had brought with them to the estate in fact is the original picture he insists to call the police. Asked by Miss Booton why he would get five little girls into trouble for trying to return something, Higgins explicitly stresses towards her: "I´m reporting YOU" (NOT the girls!).

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#93 Post by Danny Lin »

On the hope for an Agatha Christie like plot twist:
Visiting Stewardess wrote:Well, maybe my mind is too warped and I have watched too many Agatha Christie crime stories, but to my mind there was one final twist missing: in that the fake wasn't really that fake but the original, and that the whole replacement-story was a ploy to get to the original.

For the whole episode I was waiting for this to happen... but it wasn't to be and the fake really was the fake. This was way too easy.
At latest when Higgins had compared the picture the girls brought to the estate to the picture hanging at the wall and had explicitly confirmed that the brought picture in fact was the original, it sure would have been a save guess to say that your hope could be given up.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#94 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnums parrot pattern shirt:
golfmobile wrote:On another note, back on my obsession with Magnum's shirt, did anyone notice that the little girl with the glasses in this episode is wearing a shirt with the parrot pattern? I.e., the pre-teen size of a little girl's blouse/shirt with Magnum's pattern!

Is there another red parrot pattern shirt Magnum occasionally wears than the one he wears in this episode (THE iconic Magnum shirt pattern)? Because the pattern of the parrot shirt the girl is wearing looks notably different from this iconic one.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#95 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "Ricks wet and dry pants flub":

There is a flub that hasn´t been noticed yet: When Rick gets out of the basin in the natatorium his shorts certainly are dripping wet. Seconds later, when running towards and entering his car, his pants are completely dry.