Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
13%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
23%
7.0 (Average at Best)
11%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 129

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too (1.4). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 12/25/1980
It's Christmas and five young schoolgirls hire Magnum to find their missing teacher. When Magnum convinces Higgins to let the girls stay on the Masters Estate, he is unwittingly deceived in a scam to steal a valuable painting recently purchased by Robin Masters.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, the show starts off with a huge bang with the Pilot Movie and China Doll and then dives right into this almost-painful-to-watch episode, with Magnum babysitting a bunch of spoiled little girls!

On the one hand though, this early episode brought a sense of the "unexpected" to show. The series wasn't just a gritty, action-oriented show that was seen in the first two episodes. It could be goofy. It could be comedic (or at least attempt to be). It will have whole plots revolving around haughty rich kids! Be prepared for ANYTHING on this show. I love that.

The episode does have a couple of highlights, however. Katherine Cannon is always fun to watch (if you know what I mean). We get to see a very young Lauri Hendler, who will later have a successful Hollywood career. There are some cool shots of the estate's rarely seen wine cellar, and the Waikiki War Memorial Natatorium. And who could forget that great line the one little girl says, "You shouldn't be punished for your passion".

Still, a pretty weak episode IMHO. But a weak MPI episode is better than 90% of the stuff out there, right! ;)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#3 Post by Doc Ibold »

James, while I will agree with you, this episode has two things that bring it it from a 4/10 to a 7/10 in my opinion

#1 with Higgins being called "Huggins" several times and how annoyed (I was going to use a different choice of words, but we have to keep it clean for the kids) he gets when the little girl calls him that.

#2 Higgins yelling "OUTRAGEOUS!" while stamping his feet and his hands dead at his sides when TC puts him on the balcony. This, to me, was the precursor to "OH....MY....GOD!"

Yes, the plot is weak, yes the villian sweats like a fiend, and yes, TC ends up looking for Macho Leis. HOWEVER, due to the two above instances, I will put this on my soapbox of subpar episodes that I will defend to any extreme (along with "One More Summer" and "Birdman of Budapest")

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:Yes, the plot is weak, yes the villian sweats like a fiend, and yes, TC ends up looking for Macho Leis. HOWEVER, due to the two above instances, I will put this on my soapbox of subpar episodes that I will defend to any extreme (along with "One More Summer" and "Birdman of Budapest")
LOL! You rock Doc! Love the Magnum passion, my friend. And, you shouldn't be punished for your passion! LOL! :)

I gotta tell ya Doc, from this point on, whenever I see "Thank Heaven", "One More Summer", or "Birdman of Budapest", I will think of you defending them to the extreme. ;)

And o' man, I totally forgot about that Higgins scene! The image of Higgins, both arms straight down, yelling, "OUTRAGEOUS!" is killin' me right now! Too funny.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#5 Post by Shermy »

For me, the highlight of this episode is when Magnum cons TC into tracking down clues with him. I particularly love their getaway when TC asks why he set the alarm on the ferrari and Magnum replies, "Why did I set the alarm?! LOOK at where we parked!!" :lol:

I also like the closing credits, with 12 Days of Christmas providing a nice touch.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

Doc Ibold wrote:Yes, the plot is weak, yes the villian sweats like a fiend,... :lol:
That's hilarious Doc. :lol:

I saw the episode the other night and was thinking I would not want to get stuck sitting next to that guy on the plane. :cry: This reminded me of a flub. As the villian is in line with Rick waiting to go through the metal detector, you can see him sweating as Doc appropriately noted, "like a fiend." However, after he goes through the detector and picks-up the fake tube/container and walks away, his shirt is no longer sweaty.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:#2 Higgins yelling "OUTRAGEOUS!" while stamping his feet and his hands dead at his sides when TC puts him on the balcony. This, to me, was the precursor to "OH....MY....GOD!"
Hey Doc, thought you'd like to know that I've added this clip to the 'Audio' page, as a WAV file. Makes for a great clip to add to a computer event, like a 'low battery alarm' (or whatever you want).

"Unhand me! This is outrageous! OUTRAGEOUS!!"

8)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

AWESOME!

Question, is there anyway I can get a video of the "Oh My God".

I want to say that "Italian Ice" has a good one when the Ferrari is scratched.

I'd love to have something internally at my job that I can send around when I get a ridiculous request.

(no presssure and you don't have to do it if you want).

Thanks James!

I guess this should have been a PM, but oh well....

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

Doc,

If you want a video "Oh My God!" -- you might want to consider the one from "40 Years from Sand Island" when TM lets Higgins' wheel chair loose and it's rolling down the lawn with Higgins' screaming OMG! I could probably make a video of this for you, if you want it.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

Hmmm, possibly.

My thought is of him reacting so something ridiculous that just happened.

I think him rolling down the hill is more a terrified OMG than a "Magnum I will beat you if I could" OMG.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:I'd love to have something internally at my job that I can send around when I get a ridiculous request.
LOL!

:D

golf, go for it if you have the time. If not, I can do it later. Thanks.

BTW Doc, I've trimmed the "Outrageous" WAV file a bit, removing some of the gaps of dead air. It sounds much better now. You may want to re-grab it again when you get a chance.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#12 Post by Doc Ibold »

James,

Just listened to it.

Sounds GREAT!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

On another note, back on my obsession with Magnum's shirt, did anyone notice that the little girl with the glasses in this episode is wearing a shirt with the parrot pattern? I.e., the pre-teen size of a little girl's blouse/shirt with Magnum's pattern!

AND when Rick gets out of the pool and runs to the Ferrari to follow the white-bearded villain who took the cardboard cannister with the Gaugin painting rolled up in it, the T-top is in place on the Ferrari!!!!

I need to get a life . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#14 Post by IslandHopper »

golfmobile wrote:AND when Rick gets out of the pool and runs to the Ferrari to follow the white-bearded villain who took the cardboard cannister with the Gaugin painting rolled up in it, the T-top is in place on the Ferrari!!!!

I need to get a life . . . .

golf
I think the car Rick ran to after he got out of the pool was his red Datsun 280Z.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#15 Post by golfmobile »

Oh. Well. That makes more sense. I didn't remember Rick had the Z or I would have thought of that. Wonder if the show got rid of it because it was TOO similar visually to the Ferrari. Giving Rick the Mercedes was so he would fit in at the KKC better?

golf
"Portside, buddy."