Rutledal
Vice Admiral

#31 Post by Rutledal »

Thanks again.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Another "Hot Dog" shirt sighting

#32 Post by N1095A »

At the end as Rick is making sauce in TM's kitchen ("You didn't kill her Thomas") he's wearing the hot dog shirt again.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

DanielFrazão
Lieutenant

#33 Post by DanielFrazão »

Well, correct me if i'm wrong, but... I remember there were two girls in the estate, Mandy and her girlfriend the other girl (I don't remember her name). So, we know that Mandy was killed in the end of the episode, she was the "bad guy", but... what happened to the other girl? By the middle of the episode, the other girl just disappeared! She went away without Mandy or what?

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#34 Post by Agatha »

Both girls were (supposedly) stewardesses, DanielFrazão...on a layover in Hawaii. It's true that the other girl...her name was Susie...wasn't involved in much of the action in the later part of the episode but basically, you're right. She did go away without Mandy...back to work!

PS - Welcome to Magnum Mania!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

gmt16750
Captain

#35 Post by gmt16750 »

maybe my favorite episode of the first season (with the pilote), excellent dialogues between Magnum and Higgins like ...
and Higgins who performed a body search on the hostess :o
By the way, Mandy (Robin Dearden) was really a nice woman, one of my favorite of the all serie :D
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Jaybird
Admiral

#36 Post by Jaybird »

Not a bad episode in that we really don't know who the actual protagonist is until the very end and then...surprise! I feel TM was a bit out of character having a fling with someone he didn't really know and the development of the realtionship was poorly done. Heck! Maybe that is how it happen when we were younger but I feel that his character should have taken the high road and kept her at arm's length. It added nothing really to the story.

All in all, pretty good episode. I love Season 1!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by lutherhgillis »

I like this episode a great deal. It had adventure and it kept us guessing until the end. The bomb timer and the length of time needed to stop the Audi and get everyone out was hard to believe but I can forgive it. I really enjoyed this one.
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#38 Post by Dervish »

At around 12:30 or so; that lady at the KKC who plays the guitar -- that tune sounds a lot like "Kaopuiki Aloha", which I heard on the Hapa album.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Magnum T. »

Returning from one investigation, our p.i. finds his home occupied by two stewardesses (Robin's guests, as usual) and some strange dudes in uniform.
They are the bodyguards of a British Army Brigadier, whose life is endangered by I.R.A..

While this appears to be a very appreciated episode, I don't like it in a particular way. May be it has something to do with its political background, I don't know.
Anyway, still a decent episode to watch with some interesting scenes, one being the scene when Magnum stands up for Higgins and he says he is glad Magnum is alright. This is maybe the first time in the series the two show some kind of mutual respect. I like this scene very much.

Plus: the look on Higgins' face after the "body search" dialogue(which ended up on the opening credits, if I remember well).
Minus: the character of Suzie is practically useless.
Best line:
Mandy: You must be the private eye Robin told us about.
Magnum: I prefer to be called private investigartor.
Higgins: You prefer to be called, period.

Notes:
- the team ring is on the right hand in some scenes and on the left hand in other scenes.
- TM wears his green vest for the first time here.
- the 4x4 GMC van is seen here for the first time.
- there is again the "work the lock, don't look at the dogs" situation.
- the musical sequence that will be used as background for the "previews" on episodes to come can be heard here for the first time.
- again, the same actor appears as different characters: Richard McPherson will return in "From Moscow to Maui" (2.4), "Compulsion" (5.14) and "Resolutions" (8.12/8.13).
- Richard Johnson will return as Brigadier Alistair Ffolks in "Faith and Begorrah" (3.23).
Funny thing #1: Selleck drops his tool while he is working the lock at the bad guy's apartment.
Funny thing #2: Higgins always moans about the people TM takes to the Nest. What about now that one of Robin's guests turned out to be a killer?

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#40 Post by Lt Tanaka »

Just watched this again today as part of my post-tidal pool decompression.

Probably has one of the best lines in the series.

Magnum - "I don't whip off my glasses and rush into a phone booth"

Higgins - "Not if it's a pay phone anyway"

The plot in and of itself is pretty good and the surprise is well hidden.

While not as cringe-worthy as Faith and Begorragh the idea of the IRA following a British officer to Hawaii to assassinate him is clearly ridiculous.

How likely is it that the same officer and a gang of underlings would be wandering around Hawaii in full uniform and armed?

The camera angles and zoom length for the "photos" as well don't make any kind of sense either. There must be about 5 different photographers shooting Magnum enter the estate over the wall.

The guy on the boat with a lens that can't be more than 300mm somehow manages to take close up shots from underneath the window of the estate.

If I had that magic camera of his I could have taken much better photos of the grounds from the tidal pool last week.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I'm glad they did this episode when they did...as it's the first one after "Thank Heaven For Little Girls...and Big Ones Too." That one was really bad, so this ("Need To Know") was a good "save"! :) It got the show back on track.

This is so typical and realistic for all law enforcement and/or millitary agencies--no one will tell anyone anything...therefore nothing ever really gets accomplished or others are subsequently put in danger. It's ridiculous and stupid! But, they worked it into this episode perfectly!

I also liked this one because Magnum and Higgins actually sort of get along and stand up for each other! Again, nice plot twist at the end....even if I did sort of guess it right before it happened. Nicely done and I thought "excellent"! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Seaver41 »

lol...this is one episode where it is dated..........a cell phone would've ended that episode without a chase down.

Faceman
Lieutenant

#43 Post by Faceman »

Being irish, I was obviously interested in this episode, and it was a nice surprise to have an IRA/ British army story arc.

The discussion at dinner when the girls asked 'why are you involved in ireland etc'? made me think they were up too something, but it was good drama near the end when she and magnum had the stand off before the soldier shot her. As others said, where did the other lady go?

Love all the breaking the 4th wall craic in magnum, especially in this one. 'Bodysearch?'
brilliant!

sealion
Lieutenant Junior Grade

another flub

#44 Post by sealion »

I like this episode a lot too, but I reckon another "flub" is when they show the car bomb in the audi ticking down , it takes a lot longer than 5 seconds to blow the audi to kingdom come . If you count from the time it shows "5 " on the car bomb , till the time TM reaches it , its more like 20-25 seconds ! :D I guess thats what they mean about "suspended in time" LOL

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Sisophous »

This is one of my favorite episodes in this entire series. I watched it for about the third time and it stood out from the other episodes. Some of the things I really liked:

1. Picture quality is sharper than almost any other episode.

2. It captures Hawaii, from the roads, the water and the beach.

3. It has a real twist that completely caught me off guard. I did not know the villain was the girl until she screwed the explosive device into the gas tank at the very end.

4. It has a very simple plot without injecting too many characters.

5. You get to really see the characters personality in this episode even though there is almost no humor until the final scene when Magnum returns the jacket that TC lent to him.

6. The acting is top notch with good balance without focusing too much on any single person. I liked how the secret service complained that an orange juice costing $3 a glass at Rick's club was outrageous and Rick corrects the guy, "a large is $3 but a small is only $2".

7. This could easily have been presented as the first episode ever because you really get to see each role they play and how they interact with each other.