6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 136

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by eegorr »

IslandHopper wrote:Okay, I finally have an answer to the front license plate question. :D A friend of mine who lived in Hawaii for 3 years just told me that yes, the front license plates do have stickers with dates on them. He said each year you are issued two stickers for each car, one for the back and one for the front.
Good work! 8)
IslandHopper wrote:All of the cars and trucks I have seen on the show have front license plates. However, I don't recall seeing a front plate on the Ferrari. Why is the Ferrari excepted from this requirement? Does anyone recall seeing the Ferrari with a license plate on the front?
No, I don't, but I never put the front license plate on my Stealth when I lived in California, either! :wink:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote: So, James, considering this new information, does the '76 date on the front license plate of Robin 2 qualify as a flub?
Maybe Higgins just forgot to put the sticker on the front plate .... twice. Maybe, in the spring of '78, he was just about to put the front sticker on when Agatha drives up and distracts him. The little sticker then flew away in the unusually strong ocean breeze that day, never to be seen again. Maybe .... :wink:

Nah, you're right. It's a flub. I'll add it to the guide.

Thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

Re: Flubs

#13 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, I notice a flub or two evry now and then. Remember, when the show was being made, DVD did not exist. VHS was just getting started and no one imagined the show would go to tape or video. The best they could hope for at that time was syndication. Even with our ability to view and pause as much as we wish, the show was pretty well made. I like how they kept things as consistent as possible. Some other TV shows seem like their episodes never existed in the same universe. The Magnum show mostly fit together as if these could have occurred in real life (well, sort of).

Regards,

Luther

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Miss Q »

Wow, you guys are really seroiusly into each episode... I just sit back and enjoy.... I am afraid if I really started to pay so much attention to each thing I would loose the overall effect of the episode...
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#15 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree with you Miss Q. This is just my opinion, but for me, picking apart the episodes kind of ruins it for me. Ninety percent of the stuff that has been pointed out, I never knew about because I only own Season 2 on DVD. I'm so into sitting back and enjoying! :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#16 Post by J.J. Walters »

"Flub Spotting" is a time-honored tradition among TV & Film fans. Every movie and virtually all TV Dramas have flubs. The Godfather had flubs. Citizen Kane had flubs. Grey's Anatomy has flubs (ask my wife). Star Trek has a ton of them. TV shows are especially prone to them because of the fast production cycle. By spotting them we are not trying to "slam" the show. Spotting them is for fun and is usually done after several viewings of the program. Part of the reason we do it here at MM! is for the episode guide, as a reference.

Plus, some of the flubs are just flat out hilarious! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Miss Q »

Please don't take my email the wrong way, it was not saying you shouldn't be doing it...

I think they are funny! I just dont have the mindset to do it....
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#18 Post by Doc Ibold »

I wouldn't worry about it, as I don't think any of us are taking it personally.

Some of us are pretty hardcore about the whole thing.

Some of the plotlines and ideas that we discuss here go over my head as well!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#19 Post by IslandHopper »

As for me, I like flub spotting, but not to make fun of the show. I hope my fellow MagnumManiacs don't think I am being critical of our favorite show. As James mentioned previously, flub spotting usually comes from watching a particular episode so many times, the flubs just jump out at you. I watch the MPI episodes because I am a fan of the show. The fact that I spot flubs is a testament to how much I enjoy the show, because I have seen most of the episodes many times.

To be honest, I get a real kick out of the flubs, because it shows me that I am not the only person out here that is not perfect. If professional actors, directors, writers, editors and crew members with big budgets can make mistakes, then there must be hope for the rest of us. :wink:
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#20 Post by SelleckLover »

My comment wasn't meant to put you or anyone down, IslandHopper. I understand about the flub-spotting hobby! :D But, as I said before, it kind of ruins it for me.....so I choose not to read the thread with the flubs. :D

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#21 Post by IslandHopper »

No worries SelleckLover, I understood the meaning of your post, and I was not offended in any way. :) I just don't want anyone to think I am being critical of MPI by flub spotting. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

Yea, flub spotting is a tribute to the level of respect for the show and the level of enjoyment we get from watching the show. I wouldn't know a flub from "Saved by the Bell" if you hit me over the head with it...

I still say the show did a pretty good job of keeping it together considering the number of writers they used and the producer changes that happened when Bellasario began to focus on other projects.

I think the strength of the show was in the characters and the actors who played them. Throw in the Hawiian setting and the rich man's estate and you've got something that most folks in the US will watch if only for the change of scenery (it gets cold in most of the US during the fall and winter).

Thanks for posting. This is a great site.

wilko
Captain

#23 Post by wilko »

Another flub I spotted while looking at the Season 1 DVD this weekend.

After dinner the Brigadier turns in for the night but is actually oustide in the grounds between the main house and the tennis courts. In the series, Magnum's quarters (the guest house) is supposedly on the otherside of the main house, NOT in the direction of the tennis courts. So technically the Brigadier is waiting in the wrong place to speak to Magnum.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#24 Post by Agatha »

This is one of my FAVORITE episodes! We're back to the more action-packed adventure. I like that we get a glimpse into the military pasts of both Thomas and Higgins. I like that it's Thomas...not the US agents, or the English General or the SAS team...that figures it out. To me, this episode is one of the best EXAMPLES of why Thomas retired from the Navy. His common sense and practical knowledge makes all of the military BS intolerable.

Lots of bonding between the characters in this one. It's the first time that Higgins expresses concern for Magnum...glad that he's all right after the SAS guys shoot Sampson. It's also one of the first times that Higgins "gets it" that Thomas...although he doesn't approve of his lifestyle or his methods...gets the job done. On the other hand, Magnum sticks up for Higgins when the US agents don't want to talk in front of him and, of course, saves his life. I like the interaction between Thomas and TC concerning the dinner jacket...love TC's laugh whe Thomas says "I owe you one!" I like Rick cooking for Thomas because he knows how bad he's feeling about Mandy's death. And I like that , even though she's "the bad guy" Thomas mourns for Mandy. There's that good heart again.

It's probably the first time anyone has worn jeans with a dinner jacket, too, but TM looks good in ANYTHING and I'm guessing that there's a lot of men out there who were happy to have confirmation that it's OK to be comfortable!

My favorite lines in this episode are:

Brigadier General Ffolkes: I thought we disposed of our man last night, Magnum. I suppose we missed somebody.

Thomas: It was the girl, Brigidier, and your men didn't miss her.

Wonderful play on words!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Little Garwood »

Great presence by Richard Johnson (Brigadier Ffolkes) in this, my favorite episode of S1. FYI: Johnson turned down the role of James Bond but later played Bulldog Drummond in 1967's Deadlier Than the Male, one of the best Bond-inspired movies of the 1960s.