1%

Total votes: 136

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#81 Post by Danny Lin »

On the landlord flub:
IslandHopper wrote:

4. When Magnum is meeting with Agent Hooker and Agent Dobey at the KKC, Magnum tells Hooker that he gets $200 a day. Hooker responds by saying "$200 a day, what are you trying to do, rip off your government?" Magnum replies, "I don't do that, but good will doesn't keep the finance companies and 'landlords' off my back." LANDLORDS? What landlords? Magnum lives on Robin Masters' dime. The two agents should have known this as they checked into Magnum's background before asking him to assist in protecting the Brigadier.

That good will doesn´t keep ... the landlord off ones back certainly is just a phrase that one uses in such negotiations. That is like bartering on a flea market and whether or not the negotiating person in fact has to pay a landlord is of no relevance. It wouldn´t either be if the agents in fact knew that Magnum didn´t pay a rent. So this is no flub.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#82 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "wandering bottle" flub:
IslandHopper wrote:

5. While still at the KKC, Agent Hooker agrees to pay Magnum the $200 a day he is requesting. Magnum raises his bottle of beer, says "cheers" and takes a sip, then puts the bottle down on the bar to his right. Agent Hooker says he'll give Magnum a number he can be reached at 24 hours-a-day, and Magnum tells Hooker about the catamaran he saw earlier that day. Magnum's bottle of beer is now suddenly on his left. The agents leave and now the bottle of beer is back on Magnum's right again.

Call me pedantic but: In fact the bottle wanders over the bar, but starting from Magnums left towards his right, then back to his left and then back to his right. Since between the sequences in which you can see the bottle there are always several other sequences shown of the persons speaking, there is enough time passing by for Magnum to manoeuvre the bottle. Sipping from it or just "playing" with it. So this shouldn´t be called a flub either. A flub is something that at least is VERY unlikely, almost impossible to happen.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#83 Post by Danny Lin »

On the Sergeant Major flub:
IslandHopper wrote:

8. After the dinner party, Magnum asks Higgins how well he knows the Brigadier. Higgins replies that he served as his Sergeant Major in '51 in Hong Kong. This is 30 years earlier. Certainly the Brigadier wasn't a Brigadier 30 years earlier. More likely a Lieutenant. Typically a Sergeant Major is not under the command of a Lieutenant, although a Lieutenant is an officer and does out rank a Sergeant Major.

In the British Armed Forces there are Sergeant Majors even on the company, battery or squadron level, so that is very well possible that Higgins served as the Brigadiers Sergeant Major 30 years earlier. Again: No flub.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#84 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "shifting sequence" and the "key pad to the alarm" flubs:
IslandHopper wrote:

9. When Magnum takes off in the Ferrari to catch Higgins and the Brigadier before the bomb goes off in the Audi, Magnum is wearing a navy blue golf shirt and khaki pants, and is wearing his team ring on his left hand. The camera cuts to a close up of the interior of the Ferrari as Magnum (or his stunt double) shifts. Suddenly, Magnum is wearing blue jeans and the team ring is on his right hand, and the emblem is upside down too. Also, the Ferrari's alarm key pad is no longer in the car. Remember the alarm installed by Higgins in the first episode. While Magnum is trying to catch Higgins, the camera cuts to the interior close up three times.

Funny enough I have just shortly posted about that "shifting sequence" and the ring worn upside down in it on the thread about the first and second episodes. I also made a new thread about the team ring worn upside down on the "Magnum P.I. Talk" board since I couldn´t find anything written on this topic when using the search. As I wrote in one of my posts that "shifting scene" indeed seems to have been shot with a stunt double instead of Tom Selleck. Obviously that footage is stock footage which has been used several times. I´m still curious if and how many sequences other than this stock footage will show the team ring be worn upside down.

Just the fact that the key pad to the alarm is no longer in the car can not be considered a flub. Higgins installed it and certainly it can have been removed as well. Only if the alarm would show in further episodes again, which as far as I remember isn´t the case, this could be called a flub.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#85 Post by Danny Lin »

On Higgins performing a body search on Suzie:
gmt16750 wrote:

and Higgins who performed a body search on the hostess :o

In fact it (luckily) never was confirmed that Higgins himself performed a body search on Suzie. It can have been done by the Brigadier´s security personnel too. Suzie´s reproachful view at Higgins can have meant that she blames him anyway because he is in charge of the estates security. Unfortunately it is clear that no women are present at the estate who could have performed the search.
Higgins fumbling a woman up and down??!! Unthinkable!!

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: another flub

#86 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "count down on the car bomb" flub:
sealion wrote:I like this episode a lot too, but I reckon another "flub" is when they show the car bomb in the audi ticking down , it takes a lot longer than 5 seconds to blow the audi to kingdom come . If you count from the time it shows "5 " on the car bomb , till the time TM reaches it , its more like 20-25 seconds ! :D I guess thats what they mean about "suspended in time" LOL
Interesting enough on my DVD (British version) it never shows 5 seconds on the car bomb. The latest time shown is 15 seconds. It takes then 39 seconds until the bomb explodes. Perhaps they took out the 5 seconds display sequence because it was all too obvious that the time remaining until the explosion was longer than 5 seconds?

To have such an extension of a given time is quite common when different segments of a plot need to be shown of narrative reasons. But in our case the plot runs down linear from starting the countdown to the explosion. On my DVD it takes 5:33 Minutes. I find the accuracy somewhat acceptable. Certainly with a certain effort a greater accuracy would have been possible. But is this really a flub. Do the makers of the show have to expect the audience to feel the difference between 5:00 Minutes and 5:33 Minutes? Do they have to expect the audience to measure the time? I think not. No flub, I say.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#87 Post by Danny Lin »

On the Audi handbook incredibility:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:How thick is Magnum? He's trying to protect a guess of Robin Master's, he finds a handbook for Robin Master's car in the apartment of the terrorist and he thinks nothing of it? :?
I found that weird too. The Handbook is shown in a close up while Magnum has it in his hands and even looks it through! Certainly it is shown in a close up for the audience to understand that Jerry is up to something more than just to take pictures of the estate and the guests there. So the audience is believed to understand the hint but at the same time the audience shall believe that Magnum doesn´t? - Nope, not really...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#88 Post by Danny Lin »

On the plot twist at the end:
MaiTaiMan wrote:

Again, nice plot twist at the end....even if I did sort of guess it right before it happened. Nicely done and I thought "excellent"! :D
It was really well hidden who was the bad guy in this episode! In fact there was only one hint given as to who could be the hit man before Mandy put the explosives in the tank. It was in the very morning when Mandy was done swimming and left the beach looking back to Magnum with an expression in her face that seemed to indicate that she was regretting something. She was pressing her towel at her body. In the towel something seemed to be hidden. In the following sequence Magnum is shown diving the tidal pool, searching it, and in a voice over he explains that he was surprised to find nothing at all...

This was the best thing about this episode, I think.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#89 Post by Danny Lin »

On "It´s good for my cold":
Shermy wrote:
grapeshot wrote:He finishes his drink, and says something like, Man, that's good for my cold. It's a silly line, and I don't exactly know why he says it
Selleck had a cold during the filming of this episode, and there are several lines where his voice betrays him. This was probably just an ad-lib by Selleck to explain the noticeable change. It wasn't really necessary, but I agree it adds a nice, human touch.
Thomas uses the exact same phrase (It´s good for my cold) in "Jororo Farewell" as an excuse towards Higgins for taking some of Robbin Masters Brandy without asking. Could this be an allusion to a well known sequence in a well known movie or something? I guess in "Casablanca" there´s no one suffering from a cold? :D

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: No Need to Know (1.5)

#90 Post by Danny Lin »

On the Brigadier General flub:

In the flub section of the episode guide it says:
"Allistair Ffolkes is credited as 'Brigadier General Allistair Ffolkes' and is referred to as 'Brigadier General' several times in the episode. This is a flub. The rank of Brigadier General was abolished in the British Army and Royal Marines in 1922. 'Brigadier' is the correct rank. It's interesting to note that while others refer to him as 'Brigadier General', Allistair Ffolkes calls himself 'Brigadier', as does Magnum."

It should be observed that even today in the British Army the Rank of a Brigadier as in most other armed forces is the rank between a Colonel and a Major General. It is considered a field rank. In other forces this rank matches a Brigadier General which there is considered a generals rank. The NATO-Classification of a Brigadier and a Brigadier General is the same!
Thus it is not a surprise that "Brigadier" and "Brigadier General" often are used synonymously. Even Agent Hooker uses both! In Ricks office he calls the Brigadier a Brigadier General, then seconds later, he calls him a Brigadier.
This is not a flub.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#91 Post by Danny Lin »

On unmentioned flubs:

1. When Magnum runs away from the dogs at the beginning of the episode, he arrives at his porch, puts his bag on the table and finally succeeds to unlock the door. The plant on the right of the door is a monstera deliciosa. The next sequences are: the dogs approaching, Magnum looking from the inside of the guesthouse through the peep hole in the door (holding his bag in one hand), the dogs jumping at the door, Magnum calling "Hi guys!" (still holding his bag in one hand) at the dogs through the peep hole.
When the dogs are shown jumping at the door a) the plant at the right of the door is suddenly a Dieffenbachia b) the furniture on the porch is in a different position c) the peep hole is suddenly totally closed.

2. When Magnum is held by the soldiers, the upper part of his body resting on the handrail, at the upper edge of the screen you can see some furniture. This furniture will disappear after this sequence and reappear at the very end of the episode, when Rick cooks for Magnum.

3. Together with the reappeared furniture (see Nr. 2, above) you will find a large plant standing to the right of the bedroom door and next to the large plant there is a large piece of decoration on the wall. Plant and decoration haven´t been there through any sequence in the episode. Certainly Rick cooking for Magnum could take place some time after the attempt on the Brigadier and in the mean time the plant and the decoration could have been installed by Magnum.
But together with the reappeared furniture it is more likely that the sequences showing the furniture were shot at another time than the sequences without the furniture.

4. When Magnum arrives back at the estate from the KKC he takes Mandy with him to the guesthouse. Before they enter the guesthouse you can see the foliage decorating the porch. The sequence of them entering is shown from inside the guesthouse. Through the door you can see that the foliage outside looks notably different from some seconds before.

5. When the stews are taking a dip in the tidal pool at the beginning the camera switches between them and Jerry Sampson, taking pictures of the estate. When the girls are shown, the sky is all cloudy. Next second, when Sampson is shown, the sky is close to clear blue.

6. When Magnum leaves the KKC Rick rends Magnums bill to pieces and makes a movement with his arm, indicating that he throws it into a bin behind the bar. A cut is made and taking up the picture of Rick throwing the pieces of the bill, it is shown how something that was thrown (probably a sponge) lands in a bucket full of water standing in front of Robin Masters Audi on the estate. Higgins washes the car. But who threw the sponge into the bucket. It can´t be Higgins: First of all the angle in witch it was thrown doesn´t match Higgins´ position over the car and second of all he is polishing the car with his right hand. His left hand is totally dry and rests on the newly polished car. Mandy and the two soldiers on duty can be seen behind Higgins. Kenji is working on the lawn, far away. The Brigadier isn´t part of the sequence at all. So, who threw the sponge??
Additionally: Higgins has been polishing the whole car, which is totally dry and shining. So if Higgins has been polishing for quite a while and the car is totally dry, why is his apron wet all over??

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#92 Post by Danny Lin »

On different aspects of the episode:

Magnums phone number:
When Rick dials the number to reach Magnum who is sleeping in the guest house, the last digits he dials are ...664 320. This number doesn´t really go together with Robin Masters 555-Number (555-7777), but whatever...

Magnums dick move:
Didn´t you find it quite a weird idea that Magnum would try and give back a shrunk jacket to one of his best friends without telling him the truth about what happened to the jacket? To a friend who he has been lying in the dens in Vietnam together with and all? Hmmmhh...

Establishing shot to the KKC:
Before the sequences at the KKC are shown, the following picture is used as establishing shot:
To me this doesn´t look like the Elks Lodge and surroundings. Does anybody know, where this actually was shot?

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#93 Post by Danny Lin »

Danny Lin wrote:On different aspects of the episode:

Magnums phone number:
When Rick dials the number to reach Magnum who is sleeping in the guest house, the last digits he dials are ...664 320. This number doesn´t really go together with Robin Masters 555-Number (555-7777), but whatever...

Magnums dick move:
Didn´t you find it quite a weird idea that Magnum would try and give back a shrunk jacket to one of his best friends without telling him the truth about what happened to the jacket? To a friend who he has been lying in the dens in Vietnam together with and all? Hmmmhh...

Establishing shot to the KKC:
Before the sequences at the KKC are shown, the following picture is used as establishing shot:
To me this doesn´t look like the Elks Lodge and surroundings. Does anybody know, where this actually was shot?
Got it. The building behind the palm trees certainly is the Sheraton.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#94 Post by Danny Lin »

On another flub (fuel cap):

When Mandy takes away the fuel cap of the Audi she does not turn it to loosen it but just picks it away!, then when she inserts the other fuel cap to which the bomb is attached (seen from inside the tank) she winds it to fix it.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#95 Post by K Hale »

IslandHopper wrote:This is one of my favorite episodes of Season 1, and includes one of those classic scenes illustrating the bonding between Magnum and Higgins. After the Sampson character was killed in the tidal pool, Magnum, Higgins, Agent Hooker and Agent Dobey are in the guest house discussing what took place. Agent Hooker doesn't want to talk in front of Higgins, because he has 'no need to know.' Magnum gets upset and tells Higgins he can stay if he wants to. Higgins says he has to look in on the Brigadier, but then Higgins says, "Magnum, I'm glad you're alright." Magnum is speechless.
When the gunfire breaks out at the tidal pool, Higgins and the Brigadier come running and Higgins is yelling Magnum's name. Not the girl's name, although she was there too. This is the first indication that they have begun to thaw towards each other.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!