6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 109

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by charybdis1966 »

Has anyone else from the UK noticed how this episode is never shown in the syndicated run MPI gets on DMAX ?

Surely it's not been censored for being too racy a plot line or subject matter?
I remember it being shown during it's original run in the 1980's on ITV, so why are censors all squeamish about it now?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

AmandaByNight wrote:This episode is memorable to me for a couple of reasons, but one in particular.

When Magnum finally happens upon the actress and he's explaining what is going on, they use the word "lover" over and over again. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but it's absolutely hilarious. I always wanted to make that scene a drinking game.

I also quite like the way this episode opens. It's really dark.

Magnum: David hired me to find your lover.
Erin: I don't have a lover!
Magnum: David believes you do, because of all the weekends that you disappear.
Erin: I was here! Alone!
Magnum: David didn't know that. He figured wherever your lover was, that's where you'd be. That's why he hired me, to find your lover. And once I led him to your lover, then he'd kill all three of us.

Hehe, pretty funny!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by AmandaByNight »

J.J. Walters wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:This episode is memorable to me for a couple of reasons, but one in particular.

When Magnum finally happens upon the actress and he's explaining what is going on, they use the word "lover" over and over again. I don't remember the exact dialogue, but it's absolutely hilarious. I always wanted to make that scene a drinking game.

I also quite like the way this episode opens. It's really dark.

Magnum: David hired me to find your lover.
Erin: I don't have a lover!
Magnum: David believes you do, because of all the weekends that you disappear.
Erin: I was here! Alone!
Magnum: David didn't know that. He figured wherever your lover was, that's where you'd be. That's why he hired me, to find your lover. And once I led him to your lover, then he'd kill all three of us.

Hehe, pretty funny!
That's it! I just read it to my fiance! It's so funny. I didn't know you could use the word lover that much in one small dialog exchange! I swear, there's a drinking game here! :)

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Magnum T. »

A movie producer and former lover of a famous actress wants Magnum to find her new lover, claiming she could be in danger, but Magnum refuses to take the case.
When she is actually found dead on what appears to be the scene of a suicide, Magnum agrees to investigate and find the truth about the woman's death.

I think this is a decent episode with a good twist in the finale (maybe a little predictable?)
Tom Selleck delivers a very good performance (as usual) and the same does Mr. Hillerman. The interaction between them is hilarious.
On the other hand, I find Ian McShane a little unpleasant and Cathie Shirriff far from being "the most beautiful woman in the world".

Plus:
- the misleading opening.
- the alternating switching between the present action and Vietnam flashbacks.
Minus: as said, I am not a fan of Mr. McShane.
Best line:
Magnum: Sorry Higgins. I wouldn't blame you if you set the dogs on me.
Higgins: I would but they're obviously busy. (supposedly launching clay pigeons!)

Notes:
- this episode is dedicated to camera technician Robert Van Der Kar who died during its filming.
- team ring is on the left hand.
- the "Black & Purple" shirt is seen here for the first time.
- the script Erin Wolfe is reading is "Skin Deep", written by Donald P. Bellisario.
- again, same actors different characters: Ian McShane will return in "Black on White" (3.6) while Tom Fujiwara will return in "The Last Page" (2.20), "The Arrow That Is Not Aimed" (3.14) and "On Face Value" (4.19).
- Erin Wolfe's house will be used again in other two episodes, "The woman on the beach" (2.3) and "Forever in time" (8.5).
- this episode has the first of many to come references on the "How to be a world-class private investigator" book Magnum intends to write (some day).

Funny thing: while T.C. is trying to call for help by the radio, his team ring is upside down.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Little Garwood »

eegorr wrote:Also, does anyone have any idea who did the voice of Billy, TC's friend and a helicopter pilot for Paradise Found? He has quite a bit of dialog in this episode (voice only) but he is not credited.
I'm 99% sure that the actor who played Billy is Paul Martin, who also appeared in a 12th season Hawaii Five-O episode A Lion in the Streets as a character named "Moki."

I rated Skin Deep an 8.0. I liked Cathie Shirriff, who played the Klingon commander who Christopher Lloyd blows up at the beginning of Star Trek III: the Search For Spock.

The story creeped me out as a kid, with Erin rehearsing the suicide scene. The episode also has elements of Laura, the 1944 movie where a girl is murdered and her face obliterated by a shotgun blast. That's about all this episode has in common with the film, unless one counts the utter contempt one might have for Ian McShane's character, who is as despicable as Clifton Webb's was in Laura.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

It's "Laura"!!

#46 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I LOVE this episode, and it's one of my favorites! This is really one where the show is starting to "prove" itself!

The plot is awesome, and very intriguing. Again, I thought the Vietnam flashbacks were captivatingly woven into the episode and Tom Selleck (as usual) does an outstanding acting job! Also, I know that producer Michael Mann is famously known for having very abrupt/sometimes "hanging"/definite in-your-face type endings to "Miami Vice" episodes. But, there are a few "Magnums" that do that as well...and Bellisario and Larson were doing that 4 years before "MV". I liked the abrupt but heart-felt ending to this with Magnum and T.C. mentioning the effects of their Vietnam experiences. Something you usually don't see at the time.

But, my favorite part about this episode is that it's obviously Donald Bellisario and Glen Larson's own take on the classic 1944 film noir movie "Laura"!

In "Laura" a beautiful rich socialite, named Laura, is brutally murdered by a shotgun blast to the face...therefore she is not identifiable by the face--in 1944 there was no DNA and I don't know if they looked at dental charts then or not? Anyway, the cop that has to solve the murder is captivated by who Laura was and as he investigates her life, he ends up falling in love with her. Then, she suddenly shows back up alive! :o Come to find out, it was another girl she let stay in her apartment that was mistaken for Laura and subsequently murdered. Together, Laura and the cop solve who was trying to kill her and why. I love film noirs, so "Laura" is one of my all-time favorites. Therefore, it makes the "Magnum" episode, "Skin Deep", one I truly enjoy and love everytime I go through the show.

Another popular cop-show that did it's own version of "Laura" too, was the 90's cop-drama "Silk Stalkings"--starring Rob Estes and Mitzi Kapture.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#47 Post by J.J. Walters »

Glen Larson was only involved in the Pilot (co-creator). It was Bellisario's show from "China Doll" on.

Interesting about the similarities with the Laura film!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Glen Larson was only involved in the Pilot (co-creator). It was Bellisario's show from "China Doll" on.

Interesting about the similarities with the Laura film!
Thanks for the info! :) However, was Larson still involved somehow with helping produce the show? Even though Bellisario was listed as the executive producer for the rest of the show after the "Pilot"...during the end credits of the show it still stays "Magnum" was produced in association with Bellisarius Productions...and Glen A. Larson Productions. Just wondering??
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#49 Post by miltontheripper »

Have to start with Erin Wolf.....WOW! I'm sure all you guys will agree. Very entertaining episode. Anyone ever notice that the mansion used in this episode is used in at least 4 or 5 other episodes that I can remember?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by MaiTaiMan »

miltontheripper wrote:Have to start with Erin Wolf.....WOW! I'm sure all you guys will agree. Very entertaining episode. Anyone ever notice that the mansion used in this episode is used in at least 4 or 5 other episodes that I can remember?
Yup...Erin Wolf...however, when referring to the "Laura" plot idea I still have to go with Gene Tierney. :wink: However, for an updated (80's) idea, Erin Wolf was beautiful too! :)

As I stated earlier, I love this episode and it's one of my all-time favorites! :D

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#51 Post by rubber chicken »

miltontheripper wrote:Anyone ever notice that the mansion used in this episode is used in at least 4 or 5 other episodes that I can remember?
The home is known as Haumalu (located here), and was in four episodes that I know of so far. Combined with Lanihau next door, they were in six episodes that I know of. You can check out the Chicken Guide if you're interested, and the page I made for the history of the homes can be viewed here. :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by MaiTaiMan »

rubber chicken wrote:
miltontheripper wrote:Anyone ever notice that the mansion used in this episode is used in at least 4 or 5 other episodes that I can remember?
The home is known as Haumalu (located here), and was in four episodes that I know of so far. Combined with Lanihau next door, they were in six episodes that I know of. You can check out the Chicken Guide if you're interested, and the page I made for the history of the homes can be viewed here. :)
Awesome, rubber chicken...you definitely are the "master location sleuth"! :wink:

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Wow! You guys even know all the locations!!!

One of the most noteworthy lines for me was Magnum's "Hi, this is McGarrett from Five-0".... I used to love this show, Jack Lord was so wonderfully cheesy.

When looking at the "beauty" of women, one always have to take into account, that this show is now 30 (!!!) years old, and that at the time there people just had a different idea of beauty (for example, it was the time of perms, whereas today someone is beautiful with long straight hair).

So I guess at the time, she *was* really beautiful. And I don't think Erin Wolfe that bad looking even by today's standards, for that matter.

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#54 Post by timm525 »

I didn't see this blooper mentioned in the reviews so I'll mention it here.

At index 2912 Higgins has walked into the girl's apartment to show Magnum the ballistics report he came up with. He says:

"This...is a 12 gauge double-ought shot gun shell."

"It contains 12 30-caliber pellets."

Now watch as he pour the pellets into the fish looking ash tray. Count the pellets and you come up with 14, not 12 pellets. :D

Oooops!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Magnum T. »

Really?
You got them!
Bravo!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"