6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 132

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#81 Post by Mark R.Y. »

I'm confused about one thing. Maybe someone could clear it up for me. When Magnum and Rick find the body of Dr. Kessler with his throat slashed, Rick suggests that the Mossad agents did it. But it's not until a minute or so later that Magnum realizes that Lena and Saul are the real Nazis and that until this insight the two guys who had whisked Saul away in the ambulance and later penetrated the grounds of Robin's Nest were assumed to be Nazis themselves. So why did Rick call them Mossad?

TankTop44
Commander

#82 Post by TankTop44 »

Loved this episode with the twists and turns. I noticed the "diverdown" wallet as well. Enjoyed Ricks comment asking if TM was training for a decathlon! Ha

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#83 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Fantastic episode, very well written, but some things backfire in my opiinion.

1) I couldn't for a moment believe those two Mossad agents were Nazis. They hardly looked like Nazis and one of them was even called Reuben, for goodness sake!

2) Have you ever heard of a Nazi called Saul Greenberg? Sure, he could be using a false name, but his wife calls him Saul in private. And he couldn't look more Jewish if he was wearing a skull cap. The actor seems to be actually Jewish. In any case he's the least Nazi-looking person I've seen in my life.

Also, when they mention the Mossad, instead of pronouncing it as such, they say something that sounds like "the Massadah team". I don't know if they made up a fictional organization in order not to involve the actual Mossad. And when Magnum is explaining what the organization do he says something like "an organization that chases Nazis", or something like that instead of the more straightforward "the Israeli secret service". Again maybe they did that in order to disguise it.

Kudu buck
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Never Again ... Never Again (1.7)

#84 Post by Kudu buck »

Great episode. one of the best of the entire series with a sensational turn of events.

Here are some locations I've found

The Saul's shirt shop is located at 3573 Waialae Avenue:
now

The shop is in front of the famous Queen Theater. The theater opened on June 29 1936 but actually is looking sad.
now

At the hospital Lena said that her home address was Lenai Street, but this is a fictional address.
The real address is '3759 Maunaloa Avenue'
now

The house of dr Kessler is located at 4461 Kahala avenue (look at the leaning tree near the entrance)
ImageImage
now

Kudu buck
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#85 Post by Kudu buck »

Magnum wears these polo shirts for the first time in the show:

ImageImage

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Stelth »

I believe that is considered a rugby shirt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_shirt

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#87 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Kudu buck wrote:Here are some locations I've found
That's some Rubber Chicken-worthy sleuthing Kudu Buck. Nice job!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#88 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Those fake night scenes are painfully bad. I can't believe they didn't bother to actually shoot at night. It's the kind of stuff you would expect to see in an Ed Wood movie.

Ronbo710
Ensign

#89 Post by Ronbo710 »

There was DEFINITELY a gun shot heard at the end of this episode. When Elena confronts Magnum at the end with the scalpal. It switched to the exterior boat scene just before the gun went off. WHY the dvds don't have this AND it has been erased from future broadcasts I can only surmise to soften the image of Tom. But I know for a fact this was heard here. This scene and the scene where Magnum kills Ivan are two of the GREATEST justices in TV show history in my opinion.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#90 Post by J.J. Walters »

Interesting Ronbo, very interesting! The way the scene was filmed (with the cutaway to the boat) certainly lends itself to a gunshot. Still though, Magnum could easily have subdued Elena and disarmed her. Perhaps that is why they removed the sound of the shot? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#91 Post by Pahonu »

Ronbo710 wrote:There was DEFINITELY a gun shot heard at the end of this episode. When Elena confronts Magnum at the end with the scalpal. It switched to the exterior boat scene just before the gun went off. WHY the dvds don't have this AND it has been erased from future broadcasts I can only surmise to soften the image of Tom. But I know for a fact this was heard here. This scene and the scene where Magnum kills Ivan are two of the GREATEST justices in TV show history in my opinion.
I actually remember reading a few years back about people being confused about the ending and not understanding the confusion. I too, clearly remember a gunshot in the scene, and it seemed obvious what had happened. I wonder why it was removed, especially considering the much more explicit ending to Did You See the Sunrise?

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#92 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this last night for the first time since it's showing in the 80's and I remembered they're being a twist, but not exactly what it was.

As for the denouemont, I'm split 50:50. The finality of the way Lena says "yes, it IS over" makes me think either it was a resigned "I might as well end it" message and she decided to kill herself and she realises if she tries to charge at TM with the scalpel she will probably get shot OR she charges TM who shoots her dead.

The latter is unsatisfactory as others have said that TM should be able to disarm an old lady so maybe she just cut her own throat.

The fact that the next scene cuts away to a long shot of the boat suggests that there was a gun shot in the original airing so to dub it out on subsequent airings makes the sequence of events at best odd, at worst inconsistent.

I also think TM's reaction in the final scene of the episode suggests that what happened was more than Lena just being apprehended and taken away by the police.

An excellent episode with a ending slightly confused by what I suspect is syndication censoring/editing.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#93 Post by magnumette »

Hi All:
I am trying to watch all Magnum's in sequence- I have the entire set and have yet to do this- and Cozi's episodes on Thursday night when I can.

I am so glad Magnum is on air with a channel I have again :). I saw the original =itwhenit aired but of course that was a long time ago. l was young. But like Rombo, I swore that she lunged for Thomas and then a view of the boat with a gunshot was next frame. As far as disarming a senior might have proven hard for TM for she had proven herself to be deft with a scalpel killing Dr Kessler earlier... She was far from a meek little thing. She was an unrepentant , angry Nazi!

I wish someone out there had tapes of the original aired episodes ( gulp I admit VCR tapes are still in my vocabulary haha) B/c it does drive me a bit crazy ... My memory might be playing tricks on me ..

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#94 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Interesting Ronbo, very interesting! The way the scene was filmed (with the cutaway to the boat) certainly lends itself to a gunshot. Still though, Magnum could easily have subdued Elena and disarmed her. Perhaps that is why they removed the sound of the shot? ;)
As I interpret this, Magnum's sad, reflective behavior at episode's end would coincide with him having to shoot Lena and the lingering shot of the boat before that seemed set up for a gunshot to be heard, dramatically speaking. Just before the scene cuts away, Lena says something like "Yes, it is over", which could mean she's surrendering or that she would lunge at TM with the scalpel, though I thought it appeared she had loosened her grip in the insert shot? I don't know, but whatever the case, not knowing definitively hurts the dramatic impact for me. Still, an excellent episode.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#95 Post by Milton Collins »

J.J. Walters wrote: In any event, I think you are right about the Magnum/Lena scene IH. The denouement also seems to support the idea that Magnum had to have killed her - He's clearly upset and Higgins' Nuremburg Trials speech.
I did not hear a gunshot but I agree and this is the way I took this ending too. At first it makes you think she backed down as he had a gun but it's pretty clear she was crazy by how she was screaming and shouting and looking at him all crazy like that that she went after him. I also agree that it was clear TM blasted her because of how upset he was on the beach prompting Higgins little pep talk. I love how he almost instantly goes from caring and trying to help Magnum to "this changes nothing between us, no wild parties, no unauthorized overnights guests" and on and on into the ending. Absolutely vintage Higgins being the controlling little major domo that he is! A few other highlights:

- One of the best plot twists of the series! I was totally fooled about Saul and Lena and even found myself feeling bad for them in this one. That is utill you find out they were evil, torturing, Nazis. And as Higgins said, there were no "little fish"! Regardless, a total 360 that is really well done!

- These early ones seemed to be much more liberal and generous with scenes from the estate, the club, and other locations. For instance, we see much more of the bar inside the club which I love! What location was used for this? I'm betting Rubber Chicken has it documented!!

- I love seeing Glen Cannon/ Doc Ibold show up in the early episode as a random doctor who gets wiped out, his throat cut nonetheless (yuk!) that Lena was one sick broad! And his mansion/estate was quite awesome from what it showed, was this ever used in any other episodes? Kindve reminded me of the one used in season 3 "Of Sound Mind" which also featured a large expansive mansion.

- Rick as a sushi delivery man? What's not to love there lol. And we get to see a quick shot of it on the beginning introduction of each episode!!

- Ok gotta call bullsh#%*$ on something here. Would Magnum (or anyone in their sound mind) jump directly at the back of a huge boat like that right where the motor props are? I get that he's a tough, athletic, and sometimes a little bit crazy (meant in a good way, will do anything to help his clients :)) private investigator but seriously, if he doesn't make that jump he's chopped to bits much like Ted Danson in season 2 "Don't Say Goodbye". Not a big deal but I just think they could have had him jump from a different angle to make it more realistic.

Overall this is a really good episode that I hadn't seen in a number of years, glad I watched it again.