6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 119

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Braddah Kimo »

There aint no seagulls here either but the overly enthusiastic foley editor want us to think so every dock scene.

SirAlgernonFarnsworth
Ensign

#62 Post by SirAlgernonFarnsworth »

The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii is my favorite episode & I rate this episode a 10. I feel this episode is humerous right from the very beginning at the airport to the end when Zeus & Apollo jump out of the van.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#63 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Sisophous wrote:I really did not like her character at all. She is terrified of dogs and very emotional with mood swings. She reminds me of the female role played in Indiana Jones films where the girl is always on an emotional roller-coaster.
You've just described pretty much every woman (fear of dogs optional).

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii (1.8)

#64 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

On the Rick's van there is the same license plate briefly seen once on the Ferrari in the pilot movie

(Pilot movie)

When Rick meets DiGiorgio he introduces himself as "Orville. Yeah, Orville from Flatbush.".
Now we know that Orville is from Chicago, but I didn't find any neighborhood called "Flatbush" around Chicago. There is a community of neighborhoods in NY called "Flatbush", but not in Chicago.
So what? At the beginning of the show Rick was from NY and then they changed their minds about it? Or I missed something?
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KENJI »

Kalai-pahoa wrote:On the Rick's van there is the same license plate briefly seen once on the Ferrari in the pilot movie

(Pilot movie)

When Rick meets DiGiorgio he introduces himself as "Orville. Yeah, Orville from Flatbush.".
Now we know that Orville is from Chicago, but I didn't find any neighborhood called "Flatbush" around Chicago. There is a community of neighborhoods in NY called "Flatbush", but not in Chicago.
So what? At the beginning of the show Rick was from NY and then they changed their minds about it? Or I missed something?
Good eyes Kalai-pahoa on the license plates!!! The Ferrari now has 3 plates numbers (Robin 1, 56E-478 and now this one...561-068)! It would be interesting to see if any other vehicles in the show used that same plate number. Another piece of MPI trivia for us.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by 308GUY »

Good show Kalai-pahoa!

Amazing attention to detail. Maybe there's something in the water in Rome? :lol:

Yes, it would be interesting to know if that plate made the rounds on other vehicles from the show.

Also, seems like there have been other discrepancies throughout the series with Ricks history as well as other characters. Who was in charge of "continuity", and is this issue something that would fall into that category?
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#67 Post by Doc Ibold »

308GUY wrote:Good show Kalai-pahoa!

Amazing attention to detail. Maybe there's something in the water in Rome? :lol:

Yes, it would be interesting to know if that plate made the rounds on other vehicles from the show.

Also, seems like there have been other discrepancies throughout the series with Ricks history as well as other characters. Who was in charge of "continuity", and is this issue something that would fall into that category?
Yeah, the Rick timeline is a little bit crazy if you piece it all together.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#68 Post by Pahonu »

Kalai-pahoa wrote:On the Rick's van there is the same license plate briefly seen once on the Ferrari in the pilot movie

(Pilot movie)

I assumed he was just making stuff up to occupy these guys. Did he know they were from New York because Magnum mentioned it? The "mustache's" thick accent also could have tipped him off.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#69 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

Pahonu wrote: I assumed he was just making stuff up to occupy these guys. Did he know they were from New York because Magnum mentioned it? The "mustache's" thick accent also could have tipped him off.
hmmm hard to say. I don't think so. No one knew for sure that DiGiorgio was involved in the plan. And Rick recognized him only after he got out of the van. Rick seemed really surprised to see DiGiorgio, in fact he exclaimed "Victor DiGiorgio! I thought you died in the pen years ago."
and so on...
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#70 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, good eye there Kalai-pahoa! I had no idea the Ferrari used a different license plate number in the pilot (other than '56E-478').
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Estate resident
Captain

Re:

#71 Post by Estate resident »

J.J. Walters wrote:This is one of those episodes where you either love it or hate it. I'm in the former. Sure, it's got kind of a goofy plot, but Michael V. Gazzo is great as the bumbling old school mobster. And that whole sequence with Magnum & the grad student being chased by the mobsters through a pot field and on the Makai Research Pier is a classic. The DVD version also contains some "blooper" footage at the end. This is the only episode to use this type of footage in the closing credits.
The blooper w/ Hig & Mag breaking into laughter is priceless. Imagine how incredible it must have been to worked on that show in that time in that location!!! Even the PA's had the best job in the world...then.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#72 Post by marlboro »

Coincidence?

The old mobster, Victor DiGorgio, is referred to as a "mustache" in this episode. "Mustache Pete" was a term for old guard Sicilian mobsters in the early 1900s.

The dog's name is "Sir Algernon Farnsworth." The name "Algernon" is French for "with mustaches" or "having mustaches."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#73 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:Coincidence?

The old mobster, Victor DiGorgio, is referred to as a "mustache" in this episode. "Mustache Pete" was a term for old guard Sicilian mobsters in the early 1900s.

The dog's name is "Sir Algernon Farnsworth." The name "Algernon" is French for "with mustaches" or "having mustaches."

Hmm, it seems unlikely. If the verbal reference wasn't in there and you just had the trivia to link to the name, I'd say sure. But with the reference in there multiple times, it seems like a slight nod.

Kind of clever if you think about it.

Great point out!

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#74 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Kalai-pahoa wrote:
Pahonu wrote: I assumed he was just making stuff up to occupy these guys. Did he know they were from New York because Magnum mentioned it? The "mustache's" thick accent also could have tipped him off.
hmmm hard to say. I don't think so. No one knew for sure that DiGiorgio was involved in the plan. And Rick recognized him only after he got out of the van. Rick seemed really surprised to see DiGiorgio, in fact he exclaimed "Victor DiGiorgio! I thought you died in the pen years ago."
and so on...
Rick was definitely supposed to be from Brooklyn in the earlier seasons. There is another episode where he tells the Asian gangster of the week "If you ever need anything in Brooklyn let me know" or something to that effect as a thank-you for some information he gave him.

I think it's not until the Icepick back story comes into play that he suddenly becomes a Chicagoan. It's quite a gross continuity error. You should at least be consistent with the birthplace of the main characters.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Milton Collins »

Had to give this one a 6.5, just too silly overall for me. Not by any means a terrible episode but not a plot of magnum caliber. But, as I've seen it several times (as I have all of them) I knew what to expect going in and tried to focus on the positives. I LOVE near the end when Rick is in the tanktop and is talking to the old gangsta (from the Godfather Part 2!) and asks him if he remembers "Mister C" and says that they called him (Rick) "Little O" ha ha ha ha totally cracked up. The banana chase didn't do a whole lot for me or the fight at the warehouse where they are miraculously saved by TC. Hasn't that warehouse/pier been used as TC's business and several other locations in different episodes? As always, I did enjoy early and very angry Higgins lol. Anyway, certainly not one of the worst Magnum's but not a very good one in my opinion.