6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 119

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Seaver41 »

my wife even got sucked into watching this one with me.........very enjoyable. I am pleasantly surprised by how much I have forgotten. Major plot lines in the episodes I recall, but I can watch these episodes and enjoy the hell out if because it has been so long.

I still say the best part of watching them now is that having been through it all originally, seeing the relationship develop between Magnum and his friends (even Higgins) is fun.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Seaver41 wrote:my wife even got sucked into watching this one with me.........very enjoyable. I am pleasantly surprised by how much I have forgotten. Major plot lines in the episodes I recall, but I can watch these episodes and enjoy the hell out if because it has been so long.

I still say the best part of watching them now is that having been through it all originally, seeing the relationship develop between Magnum and his friends (even Higgins) is fun.
Exactly...very well put! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#53 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Higgy_baby wrote:
Agatha wrote:Great avatar of a young John Hillerman, Higgy-baby!! I hear that he was a regular on the Ellery Queen series with Jim Hutton but haven't figured out how to watch the episodes. My guess is that the series happened when Mr Hillerman was about the age that he is in your avatar.

Very dapper!!

:)
Thank you my dear Agatha. I've prepared Tea with Devon cream, Strawberries and Scones for you on the patio.

Ellery Queen is supposedy available:
http://www.thevintagetheatre.com/elleryqueen.html
(Hillerman is in a photo half way down the page)

I have not ordered anything from this site so check it out if you consider doing so.

I think my Avatar is a little older. I'm not sure of it's origin, because I shamelessly stole it from a site that made no reference to its' context. I can tell you that the unclipped photo has Hillerman in front of a blackboard with a date of Nov. 14th 1951 on it. I have no Idea if that date is remotely current with the photo nor whether or not Hillerman is acting a part in which he is a teacher.

But I digress. Your tea is getting cold.

Ah! You probably have indentified that Hillerman pic by now, Higgy baby, but I just wanted to note that it's from the 1971 movie "The Last Picture Show" which takes place in '51.

Bes
Commander

#54 Post by Bes »

Rewatched this last night and it's still an excellent episode.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Sisophous »

Not sure I should bring this up but since we have so many critique experts that point out the most intricate details I thought some may appreciate my latest encounter. So........... I did this for you.

During the opening 3 minutes of this EPISODE, LEST WE FORGET, there is a Beach Scene at Night, on a blanket that is a flashback to the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a guy and girl necking, kissing only, and they go from the ground to standing up. If you look closely, the guy has a full ERECTION inside his shorts as he is standing upright. I kid you not. Before you criticize my post, go view it for yourself and view it in slow motion and you will see for yourself.

According to the credits I have, it is the actor by the name of Miguel Ferrer [episode character name: Ensign Robert 'Bobby' Wickes (1941)]. It could be a substitute fill in but I doubt it, I think he just got aroused and the director ignored it.

Keep in mind I did not look for this bulge in the guy's pants, but it shocked me the director would include this footage thinking the public would not recognize it, likely because it was a nighttime scene.

How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#56 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

The actor who plays the boorish patron at the club in the beginning of the episode is the same one who played the Hollywood agent just a few episodes before in Skin Deep.

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lest We Forget (1.10)

#57 Post by steveadl »

Found a flub! Or at least a crew visible shot.

When Higgins is waiting on the Guest House lanai, middle and far left of screen at 17:33 - a crew member is standing to the front left of the Guest House. He moves his head (hair and top of forehead) into the shot as Higgins walks around and keeps it there for the duration of the shot. 8)

EZiller
Captain

#58 Post by EZiller »

One of the things I love about MPI, taking place in the 1980's they were still able to include characters and plot lines dealing people who had been around Oahu during the Pearl attack on 12/7/41 or who had been stationed in Hi. in WW2, who may now be in their late 50's and above. This may have been one of the first episodes dealing with the how the attack forever changed Hawaii from being a sleepy island paradise and how it would change everyone who was there. Jose Ferrer, as always was excellent, nice touch giving him a last name of "Caine" a nod to his role as the defense attorney in "The Caine Mutiny." I guess it would have been too much to have had June Lockhart owning a pet collie. Also liked the subtle references to "From Here To Eternity" the flashback using Ferrer's and Lockhart's kids playing them 40 years earlier was quite reminiscent of FHTE. Also liked the ending, the Judge realizing that finally getting back with the love of his life after 40 years meant much more than the professional accolades of being a Justice of the Supreme Court.

BWheelz54
Admiral

#59 Post by BWheelz54 »

This has become my favorite MPI episode. I regard the story in this episode as the most subtle and richest story told throughout the series. Love the depth of all the characters involved. These characters are not simply "good" or "bad." They are real people caught up in events larger than themselves. The show developed a sympathy for the judge and his lost love. But, though you are sympathetic to their choices, this episode forces you to be reminded that the choices you make, no matter how difficult they so often are, have real consequences - in war, in life, in love. Just a really smart use of flashbacks and history. And reading this thread, I've become aware of such intelligent nods to other films. This one to me is a perfect ten out of ten. And I will show this episode to anyone who foolishly thinks MPI is all about mustaches, and cars, and a bunch of men partying in the Hawaiian paradise. So good.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted this one an 8.0 [Pretty Good].

I like Magnum's immediate cynicism regarding Caine, especially when the latter had done some behind-the-scenes research on our man Thomas. Magnum's wary of anyone in a position of power at this early stage of the series and it shows in this episode, which is a far cry from the TM who re-upped in the Navy and once again became an establishment figure by series' end, except it wasn't an ambivalent one. "Grown up", indeed. :roll:

Anne Lockhart is a beauty, but when I was a kid, I referred to her as "The Cry Lady." No matter what character she played--she was also "Sheba" on Battlestar Galactica--Lockhart often had that sad face, even when the emotion didn't call for it.

Kudos for having the legendary Scatman Crothers in this episode. As for Jose Ferrer, "Lest We Forget" was made just before his memorable role in the Woody Allen film A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, where he was an arrogant college professor. "I didn't create the universe, I merely explain it."
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#61 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote: Anne Lockhart is a beauty, but when I was a kid, I referred to her as "The Cry Lady." No matter what character she played--she was also "Sheba" on Battlestar Galactica--Lockhart often had that sad face, even when the emotion didn't call for it.
Yes she did, I felt the same was as a kid. Nice connection.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rocket
Lieutenant

#62 Post by Rocket »

Just found this site. Great site.

Another flub in this episode is during the limo chase. The second Marine jeep is also flipped and has the driver on the wrong side.

Also, the hotel where the judge is picked up by Magnum is now the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa. The parking lot magnum pulls out of across the street is now a parking garage and that road is now a one way street the other way. I was fortunate enough to stay there about 10 years ago and fortunate enough to rent a Ferrari 328 for a day and pulled in and out of that drive thru many times giving others in my party a ride in the Ferrari.

Look forward to exploring more here. Thanks

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Milton Collins »

This is yet another solid episode from season 1. These earlier ones seem to just be all around better, plateauing in season 3 and starting a slow but gradual decline in my opinion. But back to this episode:

- Loved the whole Higgins helping Magnum because he was a former military bridge champion, just hilarious!

- These early episodes showing the inside bar of the club are great. Personally I wish they would have kept this set rather than simply using the outside bar. Love the scene where Rick is trying to throw the underdressed/underclassed guy out "I'm gonna throw you out of here!" "You and who else?" the response (without looking back at them mind you lol) "Me!" by TM just cracks me up every time!

- This was a great plot and I liked all the characters involved. One of those that you could actually relate too and felt bad for both Bobby and his girl! She was beautiful and they genuinely seemed to be in love, awesome that they reunited at the end!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

[quote="J.J. Walters"
Also, there is a closeup shot of a newspaper article that is amusing.
First off, the picture of Judge Cain doesn't appear to be Jose Ferrer. Secondly, the text in the article is just a bunch of nonsensical words strung together! The first paragraph reads, "A former Los Angeles veterans young actress, a bone of contention feet wide and eight feet high. Powered by electricity, it carries its own won't even pay that". :?
I realize that in 1981, the production crew couldn't have imagined that someone would be able to freeze the closeup and read the text, but it's still amusing! I know that later newspaper closeups (the ones I've read, anyway) have text that actually makes sense, so it's somewhat of a mystery as to why they would take the time to create a fake newspaper article with gibberish text. Maybe they were just running out of time and slapped something together as quickly as possible.[/quote]

Hi J.J.
Great catch. By the way, a friend of mine(who perhaps has too much time on her hands) has noted, in films from the 1940's and up to movies and tv series thru the 1970's from different studios, that whenever a newspaper front page is shown in closeup, the same map appears on it more than half the time.
Now I can't help looking for it too any time a on screen paper pops up!
There must have been a close by the studios Hollywood print shop that supplied the bogus newspapers, the map always on the left, only the headline and a few columns on the right side changing, as well as the paper's name.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KingKC »

One of the very best, if not the best, epidsodes, clearly my favorite and clearly the most memorable for me. Using two established names such as June Lockhart and Jose Ferrer with their children to depict them at an earlier age was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the way Scatman Crothers was included in the plot. The inclusion of the attack on Pearl Harbor obviously paid homage to WWII and the effect it had not only on the people but how it was such an important part of Hawaii. A wonderful ending of love. I think this episode told me how solid this show would be.

KingKC