No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 119

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Lest We Forget (1.10)

#61 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote: Anne Lockhart is a beauty, but when I was a kid, I referred to her as "The Cry Lady." No matter what character she played--she was also "Sheba" on Battlestar Galactica--Lockhart often had that sad face, even when the emotion didn't call for it.
Yes she did, I felt the same was as a kid. Nice connection.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rocket
Lieutenant

#62 Post by Rocket »

Just found this site. Great site.

Another flub in this episode is during the limo chase. The second Marine jeep is also flipped and has the driver on the wrong side.

Also, the hotel where the judge is picked up by Magnum is now the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa. The parking lot magnum pulls out of across the street is now a parking garage and that road is now a one way street the other way. I was fortunate enough to stay there about 10 years ago and fortunate enough to rent a Ferrari 328 for a day and pulled in and out of that drive thru many times giving others in my party a ride in the Ferrari.

Look forward to exploring more here. Thanks

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by Milton Collins »

This is yet another solid episode from season 1. These earlier ones seem to just be all around better, plateauing in season 3 and starting a slow but gradual decline in my opinion. But back to this episode:

- Loved the whole Higgins helping Magnum because he was a former military bridge champion, just hilarious!

- These early episodes showing the inside bar of the club are great. Personally I wish they would have kept this set rather than simply using the outside bar. Love the scene where Rick is trying to throw the underdressed/underclassed guy out "I'm gonna throw you out of here!" "You and who else?" the response (without looking back at them mind you lol) "Me!" by TM just cracks me up every time!

- This was a great plot and I liked all the characters involved. One of those that you could actually relate too and felt bad for both Bobby and his girl! She was beautiful and they genuinely seemed to be in love, awesome that they reunited at the end!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

[quote="J.J. Walters"
Also, there is a closeup shot of a newspaper article that is amusing.
First off, the picture of Judge Cain doesn't appear to be Jose Ferrer. Secondly, the text in the article is just a bunch of nonsensical words strung together! The first paragraph reads, "A former Los Angeles veterans young actress, a bone of contention feet wide and eight feet high. Powered by electricity, it carries its own won't even pay that". :?
I realize that in 1981, the production crew couldn't have imagined that someone would be able to freeze the closeup and read the text, but it's still amusing! I know that later newspaper closeups (the ones I've read, anyway) have text that actually makes sense, so it's somewhat of a mystery as to why they would take the time to create a fake newspaper article with gibberish text. Maybe they were just running out of time and slapped something together as quickly as possible.[/quote]

Hi J.J.
Great catch. By the way, a friend of mine(who perhaps has too much time on her hands) has noted, in films from the 1940's and up to movies and tv series thru the 1970's from different studios, that whenever a newspaper front page is shown in closeup, the same map appears on it more than half the time.
Now I can't help looking for it too any time a on screen paper pops up!
There must have been a close by the studios Hollywood print shop that supplied the bogus newspapers, the map always on the left, only the headline and a few columns on the right side changing, as well as the paper's name.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KingKC »

One of the very best, if not the best, epidsodes, clearly my favorite and clearly the most memorable for me. Using two established names such as June Lockhart and Jose Ferrer with their children to depict them at an earlier age was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the way Scatman Crothers was included in the plot. The inclusion of the attack on Pearl Harbor obviously paid homage to WWII and the effect it had not only on the people but how it was such an important part of Hawaii. A wonderful ending of love. I think this episode told me how solid this show would be.

KingKC

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#66 Post by Danny Lin »

On how the lad came onto the slab:
golfmobile wrote:Don't know if this would count as a flub, but in the early scene where Magnum is narrating that when he needs to think, he swims, he swims up to the big square stone slab in the tidal pool, and Zeus (or Apollo -- he doesn't know which one either) is waiting for him there -- and then does a very ungraceful leap into the water to follow Magnum to shore -- my question is: HOW did Z/A get UP on the slab? It looks too high for him to have leaped or scrambled/climbed up onto it from swimming in the water out to it. And it would be hard to believe that Higgins carried him out there and put him up on it, just to greet Thomas. It makes for a cute scene with Thomas and the dogs, but how did the dog get on the slab?

Steve wrote:

By the way, as far as the lad getting up on the slab, when I was there at low tide, the water was only just above my knees at that point. An easy leap for Zeus or Apollo.......

Steve
Chicago
What leads me to the question how the lad is supposed to have gotten onto the slab is in the first place the fact that the dog doesn´t seem to be wet! Possibly I just don´t get it right but the glance of the coat to me looks like the normal glance of a dry Doberman. No water seems to be dripping from the animal. Also the dog holds a paw up in the air, seemingly not wanting it to come into contact with the wet slab.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#67 Post by Danny Lin »

On the picture of Judge Caine in the Paper:
J.J. Walters wrote:

First off, the picture of Judge Cain doesn't appear to be Jose Ferrer.

To me the picture sure looks like Ferrer. Taken from the time when he wore a moustache, but certainly him.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#68 Post by Danny Lin »

On how the chauffeur could figure out who Caine was:
CliffW wrote:
jastay3 wrote:This is one of my favorites. It has a quite Magnumesque flavor and it was very touching.

One thing I couldn't figure out though. How did the Chauffer(who was a mere muscleman back in "the old days")figure out who Judge Caine was?
This was my question exactly. I finally got Season 1 on DVD this Christmas. Now I need only Season 5 and 8 to complete the series. But I digress...

When my wife and I watch them now, we pause at the end to make sure we understand completely the plot and try to tie up any loose ends or "logic errors", for lack of a better term.

Despite that small detail, this is one of the very best episodes IMHO!
In my opinion that is not too difficult to explain. First of all we don´t really get any information on how or who the chauffeur was back in the old days. Who says that he was a "mere muscle man"? Then he is seen reading a newspaper waiting for Diane to come back from the memorial. Quite possible that he had read about Bobby´s nomination in a paper and recognized him, even after all the years.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#69 Post by Danny Lin »

On rubbish:
Sisophous wrote:Not sure I should bring this up but since we have so many critique experts that point out the most intricate details I thought some may appreciate my latest encounter. So........... I did this for you.

During the opening 3 minutes of this EPISODE, LEST WE FORGET, there is a Beach Scene at Night, on a blanket that is a flashback to the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a guy and girl necking, kissing only, and they go from the ground to standing up. If you look closely, the guy has a full ERECTION inside his shorts as he is standing upright. I kid you not. Before you criticize my post, go view it for yourself and view it in slow motion and you will see for yourself.

According to the credits I have, it is the actor by the name of Miguel Ferrer [episode character name: Ensign Robert 'Bobby' Wickes (1941)]. It could be a substitute fill in but I doubt it, I think he just got aroused and the director ignored it.

Keep in mind I did not look for this bulge in the guy's pants, but it shocked me the director would include this footage thinking the public would not recognize it, likely because it was a nighttime scene.

How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.

I´m sorry but this post is rubbish in any respect...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#70 Post by Danny Lin »

On who played the "boorish patron" at the KKC:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:The actor who plays the boorish patron at the club in the beginning of the episode is the same one who played the Hollywood agent just a few episodes before in Skin Deep.
Nope, he´s not. J.J. Stein was played by Ron Masak. Sculley was played by Larry Shriver.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#71 Post by Danny Lin »

On another sequence with the team ring worn upside down:
IslandHopper wrote:

The KKC is also the scene of a flub or multiple flubs depending on how you look at it. The flub occurs when Magnum and Rick are sitting at the bar with Moki as the bartender. Magnum is talking with Rick about his case and Rick sees Higgins walk in and thinks he is going to yell at him because Magnum is not wearing a jacket. As Magnum and Rick are sitting at the bar, notice that (1) Rick has his team ring on his right ring finger; (2) Rick also has a gold bracelet on his right wrist; and (3) Rick has his watch on his left wrist. Higgins walks over and asks Magnum how his investigation is progressing and so on. Higgins walks away followed by Magnum (Rick still has his team ring on his right hand, bracelet on right arm and watch on left arm). The camera cuts to a close up of Moki looking at Rick in shock because Higgins, rather than chastise Magnum and Rick, offered to help Magnum and even pay for Magnum‘s beer. The camera then cuts to a close-up of Rick (side view) sitting at the bar and his left hand is on the bar and you can clearly see (1) his team ring is now on his left finger; (2) the gold bracelet is now on his left wrist; and (3) the watch is on his right wrist. It doesn’t appear to be a reverse image because Rick is sitting in the same place, same background, etc.

Right. And in addition to all that Rick wears the team ring upside down, as well in the sequence with the ring on the right hand as in the sequence with the ring on the left hand!

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#72 Post by Danny Lin »

On the hotel at which Caine is picked up by Magnum:
Rocket wrote:

Also, the hotel where the judge is picked up by Magnum is now the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa. The parking lot magnum pulls out of across the street is now a parking garage and that road is now a one way street the other way. I was fortunate enough to stay there about 10 years ago and fortunate enough to rent a Ferrari 328 for a day and pulled in and out of that drive thru many times giving others in my party a ride in the Ferrari.

Nope, the Hotel today is the "Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa" and, at least according to Google Maps as well as to a picture of the hotel´s website, the parking lot on the other side of Ohua Avenue is still there.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#73 Post by Danny Lin »

On # 4 of the flub section in the episode guide:

The flub section in the episode guide says in # 4:

"In the scene with Magnum driving along with Kiki, just before the hitman takes a shot at them, notice the background noise changing slightly between Kiki's dialog and Magnum's. The closeup shots were filmed seperately and edited together in post-production."

I really don´t hear that. There is a sequence as well that shows Kiki and Magnum at the same time. To me the background noise that was put under the sequences is the same during the whole car ride.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#74 Post by Danny Lin »

On the episode in general:

Certainly a good story with a nice "The chauffeur did it" plot twist.

That Higgins believed that Magnum could have been the T. Magnum who played Bridge on the American Team back in ´72 I found quite incredible, because that would have meant that Magnum would have been playing on a high level at a comparatively young age for a Bridge player. Also Higgins´ idea of Magnums character at this early stage of their relationship wouldn´t let him easily believe Magnum to be a Bridge player anyway.

An unmentioned flub:
When Magnum stops to pick up Kiki for a ride home as well as when he drives off with her, the Ferrari is positioned in front of a street sign (bus stop?) which Kiki stands next to. During the dialogue between Thomas and Kiki in between, the street sign magically disappears.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#75 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Danny Lin wrote:On rubbish:
Sisophous wrote:Not sure I should bring this up but since we have so many critique experts that point out the most intricate details I thought some may appreciate my latest encounter. So........... I did this for you.

During the opening 3 minutes of this EPISODE, LEST WE FORGET, there is a Beach Scene at Night, on a blanket that is a flashback to the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a guy and girl necking, kissing only, and they go from the ground to standing up. If you look closely, the guy has a full ERECTION inside his shorts as he is standing upright. I kid you not. Before you criticize my post, go view it for yourself and view it in slow motion and you will see for yourself.

According to the credits I have, it is the actor by the name of Miguel Ferrer [episode character name: Ensign Robert 'Bobby' Wickes (1941)]. It could be a substitute fill in but I doubt it, I think he just got aroused and the director ignored it.

Keep in mind I did not look for this bulge in the guy's pants, but it shocked me the director would include this footage thinking the public would not recognize it, likely because it was a nighttime scene.

How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.
I´m sorry but this post is rubbish in any respect...
Hi Danny Lin,
I'm a little confused, was Sisophous's post on this thread, I didn't see it here, or did I somehow miss it? But to the point, I don't think it's fair to criticize the director/editors for missing the bit actor's excited state, they would have been focused on making sure that particular shot advanced the story and was up to snuff quality wise.
However with the advance of technology the average schnook at home can catch things that weren't noticeable in the past. One of Imus's staff members on his radio show said people from President Kennedy(in a bathing suit) in a home movie shown on tv to Joe Flynn in his shorts on McHale's Navy had their wedding tackle exposed, when the shot was slowed down to frame by frame. My reaction to that is yeeecch, unless you are a Joe Flynn groupie(how many females could there be in that club?). In any event as hobbies go perhaps they'd be better off train spotting rather than naughty bits spotting.