6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 119

Higgy_baby
Rear Admiral

#41 Post by Higgy_baby »

Agatha wrote:Great avatar of a young John Hillerman, Higgy-baby!! I hear that he was a regular on the Ellery Queen series with Jim Hutton but haven't figured out how to watch the episodes. My guess is that the series happened when Mr Hillerman was about the age that he is in your avatar.

Very dapper!!

:)
Thank you my dear Agatha. I've prepared Tea with Devon cream, Strawberries and Scones for you on the patio.

Ellery Queen is supposedy available:
http://www.thevintagetheatre.com/elleryqueen.html
(Hillerman is in a photo half way down the page)

I have not ordered anything from this site so check it out if you consider doing so.

I think my Avatar is a little older. I'm not sure of it's origin, because I shamelessly stole it from a site that made no reference to its' context. I can tell you that the unclipped photo has Hillerman in front of a blackboard with a date of Nov. 14th 1951 on it. I have no Idea if that date is remotely current with the photo nor whether or not Hillerman is acting a part in which he is a teacher.

But I digress. Your tea is getting cold.
Of course this changes nothing between us. I still expect you to respect the rules and regulations pertaining to your stay on the estate. There will be no wild parties, no outragous liberties, no unauthorized overnight guests...

CliffW
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#42 Post by CliffW »

jastay3 wrote:This is one of my favorites. It has a quite Magnumesque flavor and it was very touching.

One thing I couldn't figure out though. How did the Chauffer(who was a mere muscleman back in "the old days")figure out who Judge Caine was?
This was my question exactly. I finally got Season 1 on DVD this Christmas. Now I need only Season 5 and 8 to complete the series. But I digress...

When my wife and I watch them now, we pause at the end to make sure we understand completely the plot and try to tie up any loose ends or "logic errors", for lack of a better term.

Despite that small detail, this is one of the very best episodes IMHO!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#43 Post by Agatha »

Don't know how I missed this message, Higgy-baby! I appreciate very much the Tea with Devon cream, Strawberries and Scones! A nice touch! Of course the tea is VERY cold by now! :(

Will investigate the site you listed...although I'm not sure that I want to buy them. Would rather just watch...at least at first...but Netflix doesn't have them. Drat!

Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Magnum T. »

This is probably one of the best episodes in the series and, since I am very interested in WWII and Pearl Harbor attack, a favourite of mine.
Our p.i. is hired by a judge who's going to enter the Supreme Court to fulfill an uneasy task: to find a woman disappeared 40 years before in less than 24 hours!

A very well written and played episode, it has all the elements to be a classic: intriguing historical background, tragedy, romance, action, investigation, humor and a solid plot.
Higgins trying to convince Magnum to play bridge is too hilarious!
And when he asks if TM is "that" T. Magnum you obviously know he isn't.
The scene where Zeus gives the towel to TM and then jumps into the water is so cute! (I love dogs).

Plus: needless to say, the gorgeous Elizabeth Lindsey!
Minus: I don't understand why Diane hires Dutch as her chauffeur instead of kicking his ass out of the door.
Maybe he threatened to reveal who she was to her husband. Who knows.
Best line:
Magnum: Higgins, who died?
Higgins: Mr. Blackmore. Heart attack.
Magnum: Higgins, who's playing for Mrs. Blackmore?
Higgins: No one. The funeral's today, the game's tomorrow.
(He leaves)
Magnum: What a strange little man.

Notes:
- team ring on the left.
- the Pearl Harbor attack scenes are taken from the famous movie "Tora! Tora! Tora!".
They are visibly stretched to fit 4:3 TV screen.
- young Robert and Diane are played by Miguel Ferrer and Anne Lockhart.
They are respectively son and daughter of Jose Ferrer and June Lockhart, who play the same characters in the 80s.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by MaiTaiMan »

This is one of the best episodes of the series...and possibly my all-time favorite! My "signature" here is even a quote from the episode.

The plot and acting are superb by everyone!! The idea of having a real-life father and son, and mother and daughter portray each other in past and present settings is fascinating and awesome! It truly makes it seem that much more real and it captivates you. Real-life father and son Jose and Miguel Ferrer, and real-life mother and daughter June and Anne Lockhart are all superb actors/actresses and perfect choices for the characters in this episode!

I also am fascinated by Pearl Harbor history, and have had the wonderful pleasure of visiting it in 2008! The back-story for this episode was just outstanding and amazingly played out! The WWII generation is vastly disappearing as most would be in their 80's and 90's, and sadly many are no longer with us. :( There is so much to learn and respect from this generation, and "Lest We Forget" encompassed that aspect perfectly! :D Beautiful! :)
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Ahhaaaaaaaa! So this is why the actors from the past and the 80's-present looked so much alike!! They are real-life family!!!!!

That poor dog at the beginning that had to jump in the water! You can see how he (or she, they also used female dogs) is really unhappy about having to jump! Doberman Pinschers really don't like water at all!
My German Pinscher is almost fighting to the death if I try to make her swim!
So this dog's body is all twisted.

The dog tries to delay the contact with the water as long as possible, so he/she twists her legs up. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Fantastic story, good jokes and an all round excellent episode.
The cuuuuuuuuute dogs bringing towel and shoes really did it for me, I awwww-ed out loud and hugged my own little Zeus/Apollo, who was sitting on the sofa next to me.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Magnum T. »

I don't know VS, you maybe right.
I have always looked at that strange way of jumping as a combination of excitement and (maybe) a little slip on the wet rock.
Anyway very cute moment!
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Well, having learnt a lot about Pinschers in the last 6 years I can tell you they are not made for water!!!
Also watch the dog, after he/she (I think it's a female judging by the shape of the body and head) puts Magnum's towel down. It pulls up its left front leg. My dog does that when it rains and we have to stop at traffic lights. She pulls up her legs, to have as little contact with the wet ground as possible. It makes me laugh every time.
Watching that dog on the slab in the water reminded me of that. Soooo funny! :lol:

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Just watched this one again the other night...for the 3rd time this summer! LOL! :lol: Out of all the awesome episodes of the series (and even though the eerie or psychological suspenseful ones are mostly my favorites too)...I still think this episode is my all-time favorite! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Danno »

I love the first season. Just finished watching this one again.
Elizabeth Lindsey was a honey! :wink:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Seaver41 »

my wife even got sucked into watching this one with me.........very enjoyable. I am pleasantly surprised by how much I have forgotten. Major plot lines in the episodes I recall, but I can watch these episodes and enjoy the hell out if because it has been so long.

I still say the best part of watching them now is that having been through it all originally, seeing the relationship develop between Magnum and his friends (even Higgins) is fun.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Seaver41 wrote:my wife even got sucked into watching this one with me.........very enjoyable. I am pleasantly surprised by how much I have forgotten. Major plot lines in the episodes I recall, but I can watch these episodes and enjoy the hell out if because it has been so long.

I still say the best part of watching them now is that having been through it all originally, seeing the relationship develop between Magnum and his friends (even Higgins) is fun.
Exactly...very well put! :D

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#53 Post by Mark R.Y. »

Higgy_baby wrote:
Agatha wrote:Great avatar of a young John Hillerman, Higgy-baby!! I hear that he was a regular on the Ellery Queen series with Jim Hutton but haven't figured out how to watch the episodes. My guess is that the series happened when Mr Hillerman was about the age that he is in your avatar.

Very dapper!!

Thank you my dear Agatha. I've prepared Tea with Devon cream, Strawberries and Scones for you on the patio.

Ellery Queen is supposedy available:
http://www.thevintagetheatre.com/elleryqueen.html
(Hillerman is in a photo half way down the page)

I have not ordered anything from this site so check it out if you consider doing so.

I think my Avatar is a little older. I'm not sure of it's origin, because I shamelessly stole it from a site that made no reference to its' context. I can tell you that the unclipped photo has Hillerman in front of a blackboard with a date of Nov. 14th 1951 on it. I have no Idea if that date is remotely current with the photo nor whether or not Hillerman is acting a part in which he is a teacher.

But I digress. Your tea is getting cold.

Ah! You probably have indentified that Hillerman pic by now, Higgy baby, but I just wanted to note that it's from the 1971 movie "The Last Picture Show" which takes place in '51.

Bes
Commander

#54 Post by Bes »

Rewatched this last night and it's still an excellent episode.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Sisophous »

Not sure I should bring this up but since we have so many critique experts that point out the most intricate details I thought some may appreciate my latest encounter. So........... I did this for you.

During the opening 3 minutes of this EPISODE, LEST WE FORGET, there is a Beach Scene at Night, on a blanket that is a flashback to the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a guy and girl necking, kissing only, and they go from the ground to standing up. If you look closely, the guy has a full ERECTION inside his shorts as he is standing upright. I kid you not. Before you criticize my post, go view it for yourself and view it in slow motion and you will see for yourself.

According to the credits I have, it is the actor by the name of Miguel Ferrer [episode character name: Ensign Robert 'Bobby' Wickes (1941)]. It could be a substitute fill in but I doubt it, I think he just got aroused and the director ignored it.

Keep in mind I did not look for this bulge in the guy's pants, but it shocked me the director would include this footage thinking the public would not recognize it, likely because it was a nighttime scene.

How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.