1%

Total votes: 119

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#71 Post by Danny Lin »

On another sequence with the team ring worn upside down:
IslandHopper wrote:

The KKC is also the scene of a flub or multiple flubs depending on how you look at it. The flub occurs when Magnum and Rick are sitting at the bar with Moki as the bartender. Magnum is talking with Rick about his case and Rick sees Higgins walk in and thinks he is going to yell at him because Magnum is not wearing a jacket. As Magnum and Rick are sitting at the bar, notice that (1) Rick has his team ring on his right ring finger; (2) Rick also has a gold bracelet on his right wrist; and (3) Rick has his watch on his left wrist. Higgins walks over and asks Magnum how his investigation is progressing and so on. Higgins walks away followed by Magnum (Rick still has his team ring on his right hand, bracelet on right arm and watch on left arm). The camera cuts to a close up of Moki looking at Rick in shock because Higgins, rather than chastise Magnum and Rick, offered to help Magnum and even pay for Magnum‘s beer. The camera then cuts to a close-up of Rick (side view) sitting at the bar and his left hand is on the bar and you can clearly see (1) his team ring is now on his left finger; (2) the gold bracelet is now on his left wrist; and (3) the watch is on his right wrist. It doesn’t appear to be a reverse image because Rick is sitting in the same place, same background, etc.

Right. And in addition to all that Rick wears the team ring upside down, as well in the sequence with the ring on the right hand as in the sequence with the ring on the left hand!
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: Lest We Forget (1.10)

#72 Post by Danny Lin »

On the hotel at which Caine is picked up by Magnum:
Rocket wrote:

Also, the hotel where the judge is picked up by Magnum is now the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa. The parking lot magnum pulls out of across the street is now a parking garage and that road is now a one way street the other way. I was fortunate enough to stay there about 10 years ago and fortunate enough to rent a Ferrari 328 for a day and pulled in and out of that drive thru many times giving others in my party a ride in the Ferrari.

Nope, the Hotel today is the "Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa" and, at least according to Google Maps as well as to a picture of the hotel´s website, the parking lot on the other side of Ohua Avenue is still there.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#73 Post by Danny Lin »

On # 4 of the flub section in the episode guide:

The flub section in the episode guide says in # 4:

"In the scene with Magnum driving along with Kiki, just before the hitman takes a shot at them, notice the background noise changing slightly between Kiki's dialog and Magnum's. The closeup shots were filmed seperately and edited together in post-production."

I really don´t hear that. There is a sequence as well that shows Kiki and Magnum at the same time. To me the background noise that was put under the sequences is the same during the whole car ride.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#74 Post by Danny Lin »

On the episode in general:

Certainly a good story with a nice "The chauffeur did it" plot twist.

That Higgins believed that Magnum could have been the T. Magnum who played Bridge on the American Team back in ´72 I found quite incredible, because that would have meant that Magnum would have been playing on a high level at a comparatively young age for a Bridge player. Also Higgins´ idea of Magnums character at this early stage of their relationship wouldn´t let him easily believe Magnum to be a Bridge player anyway.

An unmentioned flub:
When Magnum stops to pick up Kiki for a ride home as well as when he drives off with her, the Ferrari is positioned in front of a street sign (bus stop?) which Kiki stands next to. During the dialogue between Thomas and Kiki in between, the street sign magically disappears.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Re:

#75 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Danny Lin wrote:On rubbish:
Sisophous wrote:Not sure I should bring this up but since we have so many critique experts that point out the most intricate details I thought some may appreciate my latest encounter. So........... I did this for you.

During the opening 3 minutes of this EPISODE, LEST WE FORGET, there is a Beach Scene at Night, on a blanket that is a flashback to the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a guy and girl necking, kissing only, and they go from the ground to standing up. If you look closely, the guy has a full ERECTION inside his shorts as he is standing upright. I kid you not. Before you criticize my post, go view it for yourself and view it in slow motion and you will see for yourself.

According to the credits I have, it is the actor by the name of Miguel Ferrer [episode character name: Ensign Robert 'Bobby' Wickes (1941)]. It could be a substitute fill in but I doubt it, I think he just got aroused and the director ignored it.

Keep in mind I did not look for this bulge in the guy's pants, but it shocked me the director would include this footage thinking the public would not recognize it, likely because it was a nighttime scene.

How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.
I´m sorry but this post is rubbish in any respect...
Hi Danny Lin,
I'm a little confused, was Sisophous's post on this thread, I didn't see it here, or did I somehow miss it? But to the point, I don't think it's fair to criticize the director/editors for missing the bit actor's excited state, they would have been focused on making sure that particular shot advanced the story and was up to snuff quality wise.
However with the advance of technology the average schnook at home can catch things that weren't noticeable in the past. One of Imus's staff members on his radio show said people from President Kennedy(in a bathing suit) in a home movie shown on tv to Joe Flynn in his shorts on McHale's Navy had their wedding tackle exposed, when the shot was slowed down to frame by frame. My reaction to that is yeeecch, unless you are a Joe Flynn groupie(how many females could there be in that club?). In any event as hobbies go perhaps they'd be better off train spotting rather than naughty bits spotting.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#76 Post by Danny Lin »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Danny Lin wrote:On rubbish:
Sisophous wrote:Not sure I should bring this up but since we have so many critique experts that point out the most intricate details I thought some may appreciate my latest encounter. So........... I did this for you.

During the opening 3 minutes of this EPISODE, LEST WE FORGET, there is a Beach Scene at Night, on a blanket that is a flashback to the eve of the Pearl Harbor attack. There is a guy and girl necking, kissing only, and they go from the ground to standing up. If you look closely, the guy has a full ERECTION inside his shorts as he is standing upright. I kid you not. Before you criticize my post, go view it for yourself and view it in slow motion and you will see for yourself.

According to the credits I have, it is the actor by the name of Miguel Ferrer [episode character name: Ensign Robert 'Bobby' Wickes (1941)]. It could be a substitute fill in but I doubt it, I think he just got aroused and the director ignored it.

Keep in mind I did not look for this bulge in the guy's pants, but it shocked me the director would include this footage thinking the public would not recognize it, likely because it was a nighttime scene.

How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this episode.
I´m sorry but this post is rubbish in any respect...
Hi Danny Lin,
I'm a little confused, was Sisophous's post on this thread, I didn't see it here, or did I somehow miss it? But to the point, I don't think it's fair to criticize the director/editors for missing the bit actor's excited state, they would have been focused on making sure that particular shot advanced the story and was up to snuff quality wise.
However with the advance of technology the average schnook at home can catch things that weren't noticeable in the past. One of Imus's staff members on his radio show said people from President Kennedy(in a bathing suit) in a home movie shown on tv to Joe Flynn in his shorts on McHale's Navy had their wedding tackle exposed, when the shot was slowed down to frame by frame. My reaction to that is yeeecch, unless you are a Joe Flynn groupie(how many females could there be in that club?). In any event as hobbies go perhaps they'd be better off train spotting rather than naughty bits spotting.
Hi, Luther´s Nephew Dobie!
Yupp, Im afraid, you missed it. It was posted on this thread on Friday, Aug 31, 2012, 2:29 am (page 6, 5th post).

Well, there comes someone, using the slow motion to find something nobody would see without the use of slow motion and nobody would be searching for... Then they claim to have found what they were looking for. Then they claim to not have been "looking for this bulge in the guy´s pants", pretending to have found it by accident and finally they come up, commenting: "How disgusting, I thought this was a clean show." !!!??!!!!!

AS IF THIS WAS NOT A TOTALLY "CLEAN" SHOW !!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That post was made in 2012. Since the 90ies everyone finds ANY thinkable sexual content on the internet! Since back then every twelve year old on the planet has seen ANYTHING about sex totally free and at no cost accessible on the web but here comes someone popping up directly from the stone age, giving ridiculous comments about one of the most entertaining TV shows ever made and drags it into the "dirt"!
As if sex wasn´t a part of life as much as eating and sleeping is... On what planet do they live?! That that person claims to be from New York and not even from the bible belt doesn´t make things better. :roll: :roll:

And finally: Wanting to know if there is anything behind this post, I certainly took my time to check! :o :o :o And...? Aaaaaand... ? Yah, exactly: There´s just simply nothing to find! At all! That sequence is in fact totally "clean"!!

Here´s the mission to anyone on the forum: If someone finds that bulge, screenshot and share it! I´m pretty sure that we all would survive that, wouldn´t we?

And even if it was there: Times of ridiculous prudery ARE OVER!!

...Give me a break...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#77 Post by Danny Lin »

On an unmentioned flub:

When Magnum at the end of the episode enters the courtyard of the estate through the gate in the little white wall to join the bridge game you see him opening the gate and after he went through it, giving it a push with his right hand. Then you hear the sound the gate makes when it shuts. After a cut Magnum is seen, approaching the bridge round. Behind him the gate is magically as wide open as even possible.

f14peter
Lieutenant

#78 Post by f14peter »

I just watched this ep last night and of course noticed the altered aspect ratio of the Tora! Tora! Tora! shots at the end. I'm at work right now and will check when I get home, but I really seem to remember that the T!T!T! scenes in the tease had the proper aspect ratio. I notice altered aspect ratios because it drives me frickin' nuts. I totally bailed after two eps on a potentially nice Viet Nam 10-ep documentary series (History or Discovery channel) because every scene from the war (90%+ of the material) was stretched to fill the modern 16x9 TV format.

Maybe flub: When Dutch (as chauffeur) takes the phone call from Maku, the sound of Maku's voice through the phone sounded like some scratchy sped-up gibberish, and didn't stop for Dutch to respond.

UPDATE 4/15: Checked my DVR last night and indeed, the T!T!T! scenes in the tease had original/proper aspect ratio cropped to fit in the 4x3 format ... and the scenes near the end of the ep were horizontally compressed to fit the entirety of the original frame into the 4x3. This is for the VOD version currently on the STARZ Encore channel.

I find this interesting, as the difference can only be either unintentional, or intentional. If unintentional, it wouldn't surprise me if the actual episode and the tease were edited by different people, who took different approaches to how to deal with the difference aspect ratios. If intentional, I suspect it was done to add a surrealistic distortion affect to the "flashback" scenes.

karolis
Admiral

#79 Post by karolis »

Danny Lin wrote:On how the lad came onto the slab:
golfmobile wrote:Don't know if this would count as a flub, but in the early scene where Magnum is narrating that when he needs to think, he swims, he swims up to the big square stone slab in the tidal pool, and Zeus (or Apollo -- he doesn't know which one either) is waiting for him there -- and then does a very ungraceful leap into the water to follow Magnum to shore -- my question is: HOW did Z/A get UP on the slab? It looks too high for him to have leaped or scrambled/climbed up onto it from swimming in the water out to it. And it would be hard to believe that Higgins carried him out there and put him up on it, just to greet Thomas. It makes for a cute scene with Thomas and the dogs, but how did the dog get on the slab?

Steve wrote:

By the way, as far as the lad getting up on the slab, when I was there at low tide, the water was only just above my knees at that point. An easy leap for Zeus or Apollo.......

Steve
Chicago
What leads me to the question how the lad is supposed to have gotten onto the slab is in the first place the fact that the dog doesn´t seem to be wet! Possibly I just don´t get it right but the glance of the coat to me looks like the normal glance of a dry Doberman. No water seems to be dripping from the animal. Also the dog holds a paw up in the air, seemingly not wanting it to come into contact with the wet slab.
I believe Magnum did recognise that on the slab is Zeus and he asked him "where's Apollo?" and then he saw Apollo sitting on the beach with his slippers.
And speaking about how Zeus got on the slab - we all wonder how Zeus was dry getting on the slab. I wonder how the towel that Zeus bring to Magnum was dry :D

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by K Hale »

Quite a mystery!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#81 Post by Pahonu »

I just watched this episode today and noticed something odd. I've probably seen this one 20+ times over the years and enjoy it very much, but I never noticed it before. When Magnum and Kiki get run off the road after being shot at, TC shows up to help. He walks to the front of the car where TM is standing in a ditch of some kind. He looks under the front of the Ferrari and confirms, to Magnum's dismay, that it's a "busted transmission." The 308 is a mid-engine car with the transaxle under the transversely mounted engine behind the cabin. Even the transmission linkage would be only visible from the center of the car to the rear. It seems nearly impossible that TC or anyone could diagnose transmission damage from the nose of the car.

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

I just watched this episode again. One thing I noticed that I wouldn't have thought twice about the last time I watched this - it was how calmly the military police acted after the high-speed chase through the military base. They didn't even pull their guns, but held their hands on their holsters and calmly walked towards Magnum and Rick. If that chase happened today, the military police would have their weapons drawn and be shouting, "GET ON THE GROUND, NOW!!!! F-ING GET ON THE F-ING GROUND!!!!" then, they'd pile on top of Magnum and Rick, put their knees into their backs or step on their necks. Magnum and Rick would have their faces ground into the pavement and their arms nearly pulled out of their sockets, handcuffed, possibly tasered, as the military police shouted, "STOP RESISTING!!!!" Most likely, Magnum and Rick would have died in a hail of gunfire before they could even explain.

Back then, police and military had common sense, some intellect and common decency.
Pahonu wrote:I just watched this episode today and noticed something odd. I've probably seen this one 20+ times over the years and enjoy it very much, but I never noticed it before. When Magnum and Kiki get run off the road after being shot at, TC shows up to help. He walks to the front of the car where TM is standing in a ditch of some kind. He looks under the front of the Ferrari and confirms, to Magnum's dismay, that it's a "busted transmission." The 308 is a mid-engine car with the transaxle under the transversely mounted engine behind the cabin. Even the transmission linkage would be only visible from the center of the car to the rear. It seems nearly impossible that TC or anyone could diagnose transmission damage from the nose of the car.
Good point. I never noticed that before. TC was definitely just checking the front of the Ferrari.
karolis wrote:I believe Magnum did recognise that on the slab is Zeus and he asked him "where's Apollo?" and then he saw Apollo sitting on the beach with his slippers.
And speaking about how Zeus got on the slab - we all wonder how Zeus was dry getting on the slab. I wonder how the towel that Zeus bring to Magnum was dry :D
When I watched it, I couldn't really tell if the towel is completely dry or not. Maybe it's a bit wet.

My theory is that Zeus went out during low tide when the water wasn't so deep. Magnum was swimming for quite a while (to think) and the tide came in.

(There's a rock on the beach in front of my house, that I like to call "the Magnum rock" that is easily accessible during low tide, but surrounded by water at high tide.)

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

f14peter wrote:I just watched this ep last night and of course noticed the altered aspect ratio of the Tora! Tora! Tora! shots at the end. I'm at work right now and will check when I get home, but I really seem to remember that the T!T!T! scenes in the tease had the proper aspect ratio. I notice altered aspect ratios because it drives me frickin' nuts. I totally bailed after two eps on a potentially nice Viet Nam 10-ep documentary series (History or Discovery channel) because every scene from the war (90%+ of the material) was stretched to fill the modern 16x9 TV format.
They should have used the pan & scan version instead so it would fit the episode better, but maybe they didn't have the rights to that version or they were just quickly slapping the footage in there and didn't care.

Back in the 70's/80's I used to like the occasional squashed aspect ratio. It meant that there was quality film footage there. Now, of course, it does drive me nuts. Apparently, in some countries, they used to play entire Hollywood movies in that squashed format. Here, in the west, it was mostly just title and end sequences and clips.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Kevster »

Mad Kudu Buck wrote:
f14peter wrote:I just watched this ep last night and of course noticed the altered aspect ratio of the Tora! Tora! Tora! shots at the end. I'm at work right now and will check when I get home, but I really seem to remember that the T!T!T! scenes in the tease had the proper aspect ratio. I notice altered aspect ratios because it drives me frickin' nuts. I totally bailed after two eps on a potentially nice Viet Nam 10-ep documentary series (History or Discovery channel) because every scene from the war (90%+ of the material) was stretched to fill the modern 16x9 TV format.
They should have used the pan & scan version instead so it would fit the episode better, but maybe they didn't have the rights to that version or they were just quickly slapping the footage in there and didn't care.

Back in the 70's/80's I used to like the occasional squashed aspect ratio. It meant that there was quality film footage there. Now, of course, it does drive me nuts. Apparently, in some countries, they used to play entire Hollywood movies in that squashed format. Here, in the west, it was mostly just title and end sequences and clips.
Are you talking about the letterbox format? Where they use the full width of the image and there is the black bands of no picture at the top and bottom?

You can still get letterbox format for many old movies. With that term, you'll be able to find them.
Trust Me!!!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

Kevster wrote:
Mad Kudu Buck wrote:They should have used the pan & scan version instead so it would fit the episode better, but maybe they didn't have the rights to that version or they were just quickly slapping the footage in there and didn't care.

Are you talking about the letterbox format? Where they use the full width of the image and there is the black bands of no picture at the top and bottom?

You can still get letterbox format for many old movies. With that term, you'll be able to find them.
No, I wasn't talking about letterbox format. I was talking about pan & scan - the image is cut horizontally to fit 4:3 - in correct aspect ratio, but the image is occasionally panned (left or right) to avoid missing important bits of the widescreen image that would be cut off. The squashed aspect ratio format I was talking about was the other (cheaper) pre-letterbox method of fitting widescreen into 4:3, where they just squashed the image horizontally to fit.