The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
4%
9.5 (One of the Best)
12%
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
27%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
4%
6.5 (Not So Good)
1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 137

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#31 Post by N1095A »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Jay is referring to T.C.'s quote to Magnum earlier in the episode (while they are in the Ferrari). T.C. is reading a book on Kahuna's and tells him:

"Kahuna's look just like you and me... (both laugh) According to legend, the only way to know for sure if someone is a Kahuna is by the presence of a ruby flash, detectable in the eyes. (in a newscaster voice) "A ruby flash detectable in the eyes". Why am I reading this nonsense?"

"... in the eyes". Hence, why did Charlie only have a "ruby flash" in ONE of his eyes. But, "detectable in the eyes" doesn't necessarily have to mean plural (i.e. both eyes at the same time).
Exactly. I know why his eyes were glowing; the point I was making is that only one of them turns red! :lol:
It was the Kahuna Wink. You can't wink with both eyes. Then it would have been a Kahuna blink :lol:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

"The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" used to be one of the few episodes that didn't have any documented flubs. Well, not any more!

I know it's pushing the boundaries of what is (and what's not) a flub, but black tape can be seen on the floor where Magnum and the maid are supposed to stand!

And here they are standing on their spots...

Never thought to look for black tape on the floor before!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by lutherhgillis »

No, James. That's not marginal. It is a geuine spot! Good job. The tape was part of the staging and should not have been revealed to the audience. Good detective work... 8)
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Sam »

James...There are two other flubs..When Higgins,Rick and TM are in the upstairs office,Higgins is wearing a yellow and navy striped tie.Moments later the fire alarm sounds Higgins is seen in the kitchen with a burgundy and navy striped tie. The tie also switches back and forth in a later scene in the office.

At the end of the episode,Charlie inserts the left earplug twice.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#35 Post by Doc Ibold »

I wouldn't consider the earplug thing a flub. You sort of have to mold them to be effective. If there's the slightest leak, it's even worse if you don't have earplugs in

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Sam »

Watch it again Doc and tell me what you think.That whole scene is messed up.

gmt16750
Captain

#37 Post by gmt16750 »

As said in this thread before, what i prefer is Magnum's "each day as it comes" philosophy : to become rich and buying his own Ferrari?
That would take all the fun out of it! (one of the most profound sentence in the whole serie)
What a lesson today for who proclaim life's goal: be rich or die trying
:roll:
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#38 Post by J.J. Walters »

lutherhgillis wrote:Good detective work...
Oh, it wasn't me who spotted it. A fellow by the name of Gary Dalbianco emailed me about it.

Sam, I've added the "switching tie" flub. Good one! Those type of flubs always amuse me. Gonna have to pass on the earplug one, though. Those do sometimes take several tries to get those things in.

Speaking of Charlie, did anyone catch the little "love tap" that he did when he goes in to swim his laps?

:shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Buck
Captain

#39 Post by Buck »

Just watched this episode last night and I enjoyed it for many reasons.

Gretchen Corbett is in this episode. As a fan of the Rockford Files, I LOVED seeing her again!! She is very beautiful and talented.

Did anyone catch Higgens with the dark sunglasses? I thought it was a very cool look.

I liked seeing more of the King Kamehameha Club than just the bar area. What is the room that Rick, Higgens, and TM are in with the wall of glass overlooking the beach and ocean? I don't think that room has been used in any other episode, it is not far from the bar. It must be nice to have a private area like that to get away, but still be able to see the ocean.

I liked getting a better view inside the Ferrari. They filmed inside the Ferrari from both sides when Magnum and TC are in the Ferrari.

I liked that they filed in remote but authentic locations.

The comedy at the start of the episode was very funny, with Higgens describing what was in the complaint box. I got a good laugh.

I rate this episode a 9 out of 10. The story is a solid 8. It gets an extra .5 point boost for a GREAT guest star and another .5 point boost for filming locations.

Tidewater
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#40 Post by Tidewater »

probably my favorite episode of the entire series.

and i often wondered why Charlie's character was not continued in the series as he was a seemingly great addition to the re-occuring cast.........that "love tap" of Manu Tupou's character Charlie, that was posted............doncha think Manu probably ad libe'd that? if true, and keeping that in mind while replaying Charlie's part in this show in ones mind.......his was a very strong character opposite Magnum's. with this being the very first season i could see where the producers could see a conflict of character prominence should his role followed through into more episodes.

it is my opinion that Manu Tupou did ad lib that "love tap", which was absolutely great acting IMO and the powers that be also knew it was to good to cut........but it ended his short career as a Magnum PI regular role??? joe

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MACattack »

Stay away from that Hawaiian voodoo, brah!!!!
I just don't give a damn!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Magnum T. »

gmt16750 wrote:As said in this thread before, what i prefer is Magnum's "each day as it comes" philosophy : to become rich and buying his own Ferrari?
That would take all the fun out of it! (one of the most profound sentence in the whole serie)
What a lesson today for who proclaim life's goal: be rich or die trying
:roll:
Well, it is pretty easy to embrace that philosophy if a very rich novelist lets you drive his Ferrari and live in his beachfront estate! 8)
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Magnum T. »

This is not one of my favourites, but a decent episode anyway.
A surf-ski competition is going to be held at the King Kamehameha Club.
But a Kahuna (sort of hawaiian sorcerer) casts a curse on the place.
Nobody seems to care, considering it only as folklore.
But strange things begin to happen.
A man dies with no evident cause, Rick suddenly falls ill, etc...
Our p.i. starts his investigations to find out what's the story behind but a local tv reporter who covers the case does not make things easy.

Plus:
- nice ending.
- there are some funny lines (Wanna bet?, I'm a coroner) and scenes (Magnum breaking the rules of KKC with Higgin's voice over).
Minus:
- the scene with Christine interviewing TM at the morgue seems pretty poor to me, from both verisimilitude and performing sides.
- I don't like Charlie having the "ruby flash" only in one eye.
- Despite Mr. Dollinger's wills, KKC is not exactly for "the people".
Best line:
Christine: You could have your own Ferrari, your own estate.
You wouldn't have to borrow those things. You could buy them.

Magnum: That would take all the fun out of it, Christine.

Notes:
- team ring on the left.
- in this episode there is a reference to Rick's previous club, "Rick's Cafè Americain".
- first time we see TM on his surf-ski.
- again same actors playing different characters: Gretchen Corbett will return in "The Look" (4.9), Elizabeth Smith in "The Last Page" (2.20) and "Holmes is where the heart is" (4.18), Jo Pruden in "Mad Buck Gibson" (2.9), "Basket Case" (3.15) and "Little Games" (5.12).
- on the ending credits there is at least one shot (TM smiling) not used in the episode.
- unfortunately I am not familiar with "The Rockford Files" but remember Gretchen Corbett from at least one episode of "Columbo" and one of "Wonder Woman".
- I agree with James and others, Charlie would have been a funny recurring character (yeah, I noticed his little "love tap", and as Tidewater said, it was probably added by Mr. Tupou).

Funny thing: due to an editing mistake, in the last scene Charlie puts on the earplug twice.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nice little review Magnum T. Not only do I like the insights, I also learned a new word! In all my years, I've never come across "verisimilitude" before! :)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Magnum T. »

Thanks Styles.
Never heard of verisimilitude?
That is why you are not a Richard Donner's "Superman" fan.
Probably.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"