The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
4%
9.5 (One of the Best)
12%
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
27%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
4%
6.5 (Not So Good)
1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 137

Carmen
MPI

#11 Post by Carmen »

Sometimes it is kind of hard to begin writing a reply for me - at least english is a foreign language. Anyway, my son found a minor flub in this episode and I will try to explain it - here we go
TC is reading "The Kahuna" to Thomas, he is looking into the book like he`d read the last sentence of the left page, they talk to each other and Thomes tells him to read on, he repeats the sentence, now looking to the top of the right page.
Another thing I found disturbing is the "storm on/storm off" while TM, Rick, Higgins and TC are sitting at the club, in that room with floor to ceiling windows all around. It seems every time you can see the whole room, (wide shot?) the weather is very stormy, and seems to be quiet and sunny on closeups of Magnum or TC. Maybe just my crazed opinion... :?:

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Hey, Carmen -- it sounds like you and your son both have pretty sharp eyes! And your English is very good, too -- excellent, in fact. I hope to see more posts from you here in the future.

Carmen
MPI

#13 Post by Carmen »

Thanks, Carol :D
My son is 14 years old and wants to become an actor and director. Most people just grin when they hear it, but I keep telling him to go for it.
It was always my opinion to live your dream, instead of dreaming your life. :wink:

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

N1095A wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:Mr. Dollinger states that he only gets $2,000.00 a month for the lease of the land, and tears up and says something to the effect that he did not want to make money off of the land the Club (KKC) is situated on because it is for the people he loves, the people of Hawaii. How can that be, the KKC is a very exclusive club, not open to just anyone?
My take on this was that over the years the club had become something much different than what Mr. Dollinger intended.
Also, near as I recall (not having seen this episode for a little while), Mr. Dollinger specifically mentions the various ethnic groups of Hawaii. Perhaps he likes the KKC because they do not discrimate according to race -- though they are definitely snobs!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#15 Post by Doc Ibold »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:
N1095A wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:Mr. Dollinger states that he only gets $2,000.00 a month for the lease of the land, and tears up and says something to the effect that he did not want to make money off of the land the Club (KKC) is situated on because it is for the people he loves, the people of Hawaii. How can that be, the KKC is a very exclusive club, not open to just anyone?
My take on this was that over the years the club had become something much different than what Mr. Dollinger intended.
Also, near as I recall (not having seen this episode for a little while), Mr. Dollinger specifically mentions the various ethnic groups of Hawaii. Perhaps he likes the KKC because they do not discrimate according to race -- though they are definitely snobs!
I don't think Dollinger had been there in YEARS, and the board of directors had made it into a different place, as N said

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Doc Ibold wrote:I don't think Dollinger had been there in YEARS, and the board of directors had made it into a different place, as N said.
I agree, that's entirely possible.

But be that as it may, I sincerely doubt that the original KKC was anything like the bastion of egalitarianism that we might imagine from Dollinger's comments. The membership likely consisted of upper-crust kamaaina's (people of American/British descent whose families had been in Hawaii for generations), members of the Alii (Hawaiian nobility), prominent Chinese merchants, miscellaneous celebrities and so on. I doubt that you'd have seen any field hands or dime-store clerks there.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#17 Post by Agatha »

This episode offers a colorful glimpse into Hawaiian culture and I enjoyed it very much. The whole Kahuna thing and the idea that we create our own reality is interesting to me...it comes up again in Ki's Don't Lie...and really wreaks havoc here. Again, Thomas's common sense keeps him immune to the hysteria. It's amazing to me that he had the foresight to switch the camera on when he got into Christine's car. The boy is thinking ALL THE TIME! Was interesting to see the traditional burning of the suger cane fields that I've heard about.

I also agree that the Club has probably evolved from what it was when Mr. Dollinger started it. But they aren't ALL houley (sp...help, somebody!) snobs like Higgins. Charlie is a pretty down-to-earth native. He would have been a good reoccuring character but he seems like the "fatherly" type and I think the writers wanted to let Higgins develop into that...which he does....eventually.

I like Gretchen Corbett...also in The Look. Elizabeth Smith...Mrs Macao...was in several episodes as was Jo Pruden...the Doctor.

One of the threads talks about people who didn't hold up well. Jo Pruden is a good example. When I next recognized her in Basket Case, I couldn't believe my eyes. Of course, I guess they could have made her up to look older...really older. Except that she's in several later episodes and does look really older. Hmmmm.

My favorite quote in this one is:

(Rick has collapsed and is in the hospital but they don't know what's wrong with him. Dr. has just told Thomas that Henry died of a potassium deficiency.)

Thomas: Thanks, Doctor. You're a lifesaver!
Doctor: Lifesaver? I'm a Coroner!

Pretty fun!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

TankTop44
Commander

#18 Post by TankTop44 »

Does anyone have a good photo of the KKC patch that is on Higgns blue sport coat in the first few scenes of this episode?

TankTop44
Commander

#19 Post by TankTop44 »

Just finished it, greate episode. It has it all, breaking the fourth wall, Rick being Rick, the short shorts and of course my favorite, the 44 tank top! Also, being a fireman, I enjoyed the burning sugar cane scenes. It seems as though the should that TC fell on and injured was the same arm that Thomas grabbed and helped him stand up with. I also enjoyed the "pat down" he gave the reporter, nice and smooth, just like a cold refreshing Coops beer!!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#20 Post by Agatha »

So, TankTop44... Since this episode is fresh in your mind... Do you think that Charlie breaks the fourth wall at the end? Steve thinks so and Seaver41. I have doubts.

:?

TankTop44
Commander

#21 Post by TankTop44 »

I suppose you could look at it two ways. Yes he is looking at the "camera" and it appears he is breaking the fourth wall, however, is it the "camera" he is looking at or is it Magnum. If he is looking at Magnum, then we are seeing him through Magnum's eyes and not just us the veiwer.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#22 Post by Doc Ibold »

I agree!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#23 Post by Agatha »

Me, too!

:)

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Another good, if not classic ep.

[TV.com rating=9.0; Another Great Instalment]

At the King Kamehameha Club, where a surf-ski competition is planned, a Kahuna places a 'curse' on the club. Soon, a member dies, a number of 'accidents' occur and Rick falls ill, but Magnum is sure there’s a more logical explanation. A good episode...

-----

When I think of great first season episodes of MPI, 'The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club' is one that I always tend to overlook. Which is somewhat unjust, as it is a good episode, if one not to be taken too seriously.

This episode is the last time that we hear the original Ian Fairbairn-Smith theme on the opening credits (the more familiar Mike Post and Pete Carpenter theme had been on the closing credits since 'The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii' a few episodes previously). Although Post and Carpenter’s theme is the more iconic, I really liked Fairbairn-Smith’s theme, and think it suited the early episodes really well.

This episode takes place completely away from the Robin Masters Estate, centring around the King Kamehameha Club (obviously). The story also acts as more of an ensemble, as Higgins, T.C. and Rick also get a lot of screen time together with Magnum (incidentally, this is the first episode where Magnum is called "T.M.", by T.C.).

In fact, there are a lot of first and lasts in this episode, and it really feels as if the show is making the transition into a on-going series: It is the first time we see Magnum on his surf-ski, which will be seen MANY times in the series; it is the last time we see Moki (Remi Abellira), an early recurring KCC barman; and we get our first mention after the Pilot of Rick’s disco, which seemingly went bust before he took over running of the Club.

To look out for, playing pushy news reporter Christine Richards, is Gretchen Corbett, who played the recurring attorney Beth Davenport in that other classic detective show, 'The Rockford Files', for the first five seasons. Corbett reappears as a different character in 'Magnum' in the fourth season's 'The Look'.

The story is a bit silly in places but still a good one, and there are several red herrings as to who might be behind all of the trouble at the Club. The final outcome is a pleasing conclusion, and well played. This does stand out as one of the times that Magnum gets his judgement seriously wrong at one point though (boy was he hard on that poor old man!)

Overall, as I say I tend to overlook this episode, but it’s still a good one. I hadn't watched it for quite a while until I came to review it, and I really enjoyed re-watching it. Not an all-time 'Magnum' classic, but a fair example all the same.

-----

Other notes, bloopers, and misc.:

* As already mentioned in my review, this is the first episode to take place completely away from Robin’s Nest, instead centring around the King Kamehameha Club.

* Also as mentioned above, this is the first time in the series that T.C. addresses Magnum as “T.M.”. As a side note, many of the early promotional literature that went with the series referred to Magnum as often being nicknamed ‘T.S.’ (Thomas Sullivan), but this was never used in the actual series.

* When Henry, Magnum’s rival surf-skier dies, watch carefully – his surf-ski continues forwards in the ocean and hits the camera, causing it to wobble slightly!

* As with ‘Never Again… Never Again’ and ‘The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii’, the DVD version has the first commercial break abridged (as in, it doesn’t have a gap). The subsequent ad breaks have a gap.

* Several shots of the sugar cane fields burning are quite clearly pre-existing stock footage.

* This one has already been mentioned, but watch the scene in Rick’s office where a storm is blowing outside – close ups of both T.C. and Magnum show the weather to be calmer outside!

* On the closing credits, there is a shot of Magnum looking up and smiling at the camera, from the aforementioned scene with the storm in the background; this shot was not used in the actual episode.

By the way, I’m not sure if I’d class this as a Rick-centric episode; yes it does feature him, but doesn’t centre around him, much more time is spent with Magnum and T.C. :)
Last edited by Jay-Firestorm on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Kwanzaa
Lieutenant

#25 Post by Kwanzaa »

Great episode. I love how they use misdirection and red herrings in this one. Charlie was a great character in this episode. They should have used him for more small parts in more episodes.

I like all of the points made in previous posts. This is one of the best epis.