The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
4%
9.5 (One of the Best)
12%
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
27%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
4%
6.5 (Not So Good)
1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 137

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by MACattack »

Stay away from that Hawaiian voodoo, brah!!!!
I just don't give a damn!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Magnum T. »

gmt16750 wrote:As said in this thread before, what i prefer is Magnum's "each day as it comes" philosophy : to become rich and buying his own Ferrari?
That would take all the fun out of it! (one of the most profound sentence in the whole serie)
What a lesson today for who proclaim life's goal: be rich or die trying
:roll:
Well, it is pretty easy to embrace that philosophy if a very rich novelist lets you drive his Ferrari and live in his beachfront estate! 8)
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Magnum T. »

This is not one of my favourites, but a decent episode anyway.
A surf-ski competition is going to be held at the King Kamehameha Club.
But a Kahuna (sort of hawaiian sorcerer) casts a curse on the place.
Nobody seems to care, considering it only as folklore.
But strange things begin to happen.
A man dies with no evident cause, Rick suddenly falls ill, etc...
Our p.i. starts his investigations to find out what's the story behind but a local tv reporter who covers the case does not make things easy.

Plus:
- nice ending.
- there are some funny lines (Wanna bet?, I'm a coroner) and scenes (Magnum breaking the rules of KKC with Higgin's voice over).
Minus:
- the scene with Christine interviewing TM at the morgue seems pretty poor to me, from both verisimilitude and performing sides.
- I don't like Charlie having the "ruby flash" only in one eye.
- Despite Mr. Dollinger's wills, KKC is not exactly for "the people".
Best line:
Christine: You could have your own Ferrari, your own estate.
You wouldn't have to borrow those things. You could buy them.

Magnum: That would take all the fun out of it, Christine.

Notes:
- team ring on the left.
- in this episode there is a reference to Rick's previous club, "Rick's Cafè Americain".
- first time we see TM on his surf-ski.
- again same actors playing different characters: Gretchen Corbett will return in "The Look" (4.9), Elizabeth Smith in "The Last Page" (2.20) and "Holmes is where the heart is" (4.18), Jo Pruden in "Mad Buck Gibson" (2.9), "Basket Case" (3.15) and "Little Games" (5.12).
- on the ending credits there is at least one shot (TM smiling) not used in the episode.
- unfortunately I am not familiar with "The Rockford Files" but remember Gretchen Corbett from at least one episode of "Columbo" and one of "Wonder Woman".
- I agree with James and others, Charlie would have been a funny recurring character (yeah, I noticed his little "love tap", and as Tidewater said, it was probably added by Mr. Tupou).

Funny thing: due to an editing mistake, in the last scene Charlie puts on the earplug twice.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#44 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Nice little review Magnum T. Not only do I like the insights, I also learned a new word! In all my years, I've never come across "verisimilitude" before! :)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Magnum T. »

Thanks Styles.
Never heard of verisimilitude?
That is why you are not a Richard Donner's "Superman" fan.
Probably.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Little Garwood »

The scene where TC and Rick are watching Magnum out on the water was beautifully lit and the Pacific Ocean off in the distance just looked amazing. Seeing that makes me want to start a "Natural Beauty of Hawaii" thread, where we would all submit our favorite scenes of that gorgeous Hawaiian scenery--not to be confused with a "Babes of MPI" topic, of course! :D

I voted this one an 8.0. Magnum and Higgins aren't yet "perfected" in their characterizations or their interactions, but this is the first season.

I appreciated the appearance of Manu Tupou (who I just learned died in 2004--damn!) and several other Hawaii Five-O actors. Herman Wedemeyer has his finest moments of his acting career as the coroner. What a shame he wasn't a recurring character like Carol, Agatha, and Doc Ibold. Too bad Tupou never returned as a guest star, either. :(
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Even though the plot idea might sound ridiculous, I really liked this episode! But, I like spooky, ghost, haunted, curse type episodes of most shows. :wink:

I like the idea of doing an episode about Hawaiian legends and a Kahuna's curse. I thought the episode was done perfectly for the subject matter, and you actually started to wonder if there wasn't "something" going on?? :)

I also liked the plot twists throughout as well! First you thought it was that other older Hawaiian surfer, then the Kahuna himself, then this sick old man that owns the land the club is on, then his daughter--who turns out to be dead, then the old man again...and finally his whacked out granddaughter! LOL! :lol: I rated this "excellent". :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I quite liked that episode. I like ghost stories which seem really spooky, then turn out to be completely rationally explainable ... and then there is this little hint, that there might be some truth to it after all.

I agree, it would have been nicer, if the "ruby glow" had been in both of Charlie's eyes.

Now for the end bit:
WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THE CARPET ON SELLEK'S CHEST???
It's suddenly all little bits of curl on a chest that is normally completely black with hair!

Styles Bitchley

#49 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Visiting Stewardess wrote: Now for the end bit:
WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THE CARPET ON SELLEK'S CHEST???
It's suddenly all little bits of curl on a chest that is normally completely black with hair!
Hilarious! I think we need a screen cap.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

There you go!

Ahhhh! Just found the frame by frame function again... all is well and I can make screenshots en masse!

Styles Bitchley

#51 Post by Styles Bitchley »

It's gotta be the water holding down it's natural fluff. I think I have chest hair envy.

- J.Q.H.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Coops »

Chuck Norris never met Selleck's 'stache.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

I wonder if he'd shaved it for some reason and it was growing back slowly...
but then again, men didn't shave their chests in the early 80's, did they?

Styles Bitchley

#54 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:I wonder if he'd shaved it for some reason and it was growing back slowly...
but then again, men didn't shave their chests in the early 80's, did they?
Real men never have! :lol:

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

LOL!!!

I'll keep that in mind next time I meet a guy!