The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
4%
9.5 (One of the Best)
12%
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
27%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
4%
6.5 (Not So Good)
1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 137

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by Stelth »

Seems like the real "bane" is this:
http://www.examiner.com/article/hawaii- ... es-problem

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

Re: The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

#92 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

There is one big continuity flub in the kitchen fire scene. When they're sitting in Rick's office/living room and they hear the alarm Higgins is wearing a shirt with gold and navy blue stripes. Seconds later, when the make it to the kitchen, that that has been magically replaced by another one with gray, black and red stripes.

The gold and navy blue tie is worn on several occasions by Magnum in other episodes. It's also worn by one of the gangsters in The Ugliest Dog in Hawaii.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#93 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a really good one. They did a great job in disguising whom was behind the "curse." They threw it towards so many possibilities that it was never really clear like a lot of episodes were. I liked how they incorporated some native Hawaiian culture into the episode. It was also interesting to see Higgins in an episode where he was in the role of member of the KKC board of directors for the entire show. It was kind of different to have them discuss the club as being in financial difficulty where later the club seemed totally fine as far as that went.

The only real gripes I had were that it was never disclosed HOW the news reporter got her grandfather's diaretics into the drinks of people and how it worked so quickly on the guy that died. It didn't seem possible that he wasn't showing any symptoms and then just died out of nowhere. I also thought Magnum came off pretty badly when he was screaming at the old man and then realised the reporter was connected to him without showing any remorse.

I thought this set up an interesting dynamic between Rick and Higgins as they often clashed over the way he ran the club over the years. It was also interesting that Rick's own club would fail, but he was able to manage the KKC back into the black so quickly. It may not have been a "bust" in the terms of not much buisness as much as it went "bust" as in trouble from the government in some form. I kind of wonder if Charlie wasn't what Icepick later became. Maybe they had envisioned him to be the guy Magnum went to when he needed to know info on the people that were on the islands and nobody else was talking, but they made the choice to have it be a former mobster instead. I think this may have been the first time that Magnum dealt with someone suffering with dementia too which would come up in future episodes.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#94 Post by marlboro »

-The movie that the old man (Lew Ayres ) was watching was Night World (1932) . No wonder he was such a fan of it considering it just happened to star a very young Lew Ayers

- I was glad to see Gretchen Corbett. She was really underused on Rockford, and she did a very nice job on both of her Magnum appearances.

- I like the way Rick and TC were written in this episode. They seemed more "real" than they would in the later seasons.

- I thought it was pretty funny that Magnum was so gung ho to bust into an old man's house and accuse him of faking his senility.

- I liked Charlie. Too bad we didn't see more of him.

- I didn't like the epilog with Charlie and his flashing eye.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#95 Post by J.J. Walters »

marlboro wrote:-The movie that the old man (Lew Ayres ) was watching was Night World (1932) . No wonder he was such a fan of it considering it just happened to star a very young Lew Ayers

How were you able to ID it? They never show what he is watching. You can hear some low-level audio coming from the TV. Were you able to ID the movie based on this short, barely-audible dialog??
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by 308GUY »

J.J. Walters wrote:
How were you able to ID it? They never show what he is watching. You can hear some low-level audio coming from the TV. Were you able to ID the movie based on this short, barely-audible dialog??

I wondered the same thing, having just watched this one recently.

One would have to be intimately familiar with the movie or privy to script/crew info to know this. At least that's what went through my mind when I watched the episode. As J.J. points out, there is never any visual of what he's watching, and the dialogue is very scant. Drawing a blank here.... :|

I know what they say about curiosity....but this sure has me curious! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#97 Post by marlboro »

Last edited by marlboro on Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#98 Post by marlboro »

On second thought, I am wrong. It's from "State of the Union" (1948).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040834/

The voices are Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

The dialog:

"...Important thing to me, (unintelligible) is that you've always tried to be honest."

"Tried to be?"

"Oh, you've cut some corners here and there just to get where you wanted to, but I will say, you've always had the decency to be unhappy about it."

"Yeah, with a little help from you. And don't call me Nappy."

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#99 Post by 308GUY »

marlboro wrote:On second thought, I am wrong. It's from "State of the Union" (1948).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040834/

The voices are Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

The dialog:

"...Important thing to me, (unintelligible) is that you've always tried to be honest."

"Tried to be?"

"Oh, you've cut some corners here and there just to get where you wanted to, but I will say, you've always had the decency to be unhappy about it."

"Yeah, with a little help from you. And don't call me Nappy."
That's some excellent sleuthing there marlboro! :higgins:

No way for me to prove or disprove your conclusion, so I'll take your word on it.

Somewhat comforting to know there are others "out there" who share the passion for minor details. This site seems to be frequented by more than a few, guess that's one of the reasons I like it so much. :)

Thanks for the history lesson! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#100 Post by J.J. Walters »

marlboro wrote:On second thought, I am wrong. It's from "State of the Union" (1948).
also starring.... Angela Lansbury! LOL! She's everywhere! :)

I like your first pick better, marlboro. That would have been a really nice (and oh so subtle) nod to Lew Ayres... to have him sitting there in a scene watching one of his own old movies!

Unbelievable sleuthing there marlboro! I take you are a fan of old movies?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#101 Post by marlboro »

Oh yeah. I've watched a ton of them thanks to the internet. Over 8,000. The internet has opened up an entire world of movies and music that i would have never had the chance to experience without it.

Rocket
Lieutenant

#102 Post by Rocket »

Just watched this episode on netflix so maybe it is a netflix thing, but did anyone notice the white light coming from the Kahuna's hands as he claps them together as he is cursing the KKC? I am thinking it may be an editing issue as it also occurred later at a random time. Very good timing though.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Milton Collins »

I completely enjoyed this episode and gave it an 8.5 These early ones were so, so good. I love how they showed much more of the club in this one, including Rick's original office which has an amazing view.

From Makua (wow was he creepy) to the surf ski race to the plot with the shady granddaughter trying to steal back her families land, this one was good through and through. Boy, that granddaughter really annoyed me, not only the character but the actress. I know she also plays Hollie Hunter in "The Look" in season 5 and quite frankly, I can't stand her in either role!

Magnum drinking beer with the wealthy old man completely cracks me up every time I see it, just priceless him sneaking it and sharing with TM.

I absolutely love season 1 and this is another good episode, very fun!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#104 Post by marlboro »

Milton Collins wrote:Boy, that granddaughter really annoyed me, not only the character but the actress. I know she also plays Hollie Hunter in "The Look" in season 5 and quite frankly, I can't stand her in either role!
Does this change your opinion of her at all?

Related:

Gretchen Corbett was most famous for playing Jim's lawyer on The Rockford Files. She was pretty goon on that show, but she was always written as kind of a stick in the mud.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#105 Post by ConchRepublican »

Milton Collins wrote: Boy, that granddaughter really annoyed me, not only the character but the actress. I know she also plays Hollie Hunter in "The Look" in season 5 and quite frankly, I can't stand her in either role!!
Agree. She was one of those 70s/80s familiar but not a star faces that I was never a fan of either.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04