The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the first season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
4%
9.5 (One of the Best)
12%
9.0 (Excellent)
23%
8.5 (Very Good)
27%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
21%
7.5 (Decent)
7%
7.0 (Average at Best)
4%
6.5 (Not So Good)
1%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 137

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#111 Post by Danny Lin »

TankTop44 wrote:

Also, being a fireman, I enjoyed the burning sugar cane scenes. It seems as though the should that TC fell on and injured was the same arm that Thomas grabbed and helped him stand up with. I also enjoyed the "pat down" he gave the reporter, nice and smooth, just like a cold refreshing Coops beer!!
As I see it, TC hits the ground with the right shoulder first. It is the right shoulder also that he´s holding after Magnum helped him up, taking his left arm. So that looks OK to me.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re: The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club (1.11)

#112 Post by Danny Lin »

On Charlie breaking the 4th wall:
Agatha wrote:So, TankTop44... Since this episode is fresh in your mind... Do you think that Charlie breaks the fourth wall at the end? Steve thinks so and Seaver41. I have doubts.

:?
TankTop44 wrote:I suppose you could look at it two ways. Yes he is looking at the "camera" and it appears he is breaking the fourth wall, however, is it the "camera" he is looking at or is it Magnum. If he is looking at Magnum, then we are seeing him through Magnum's eyes and not just us the veiwer.
Doc Ibold wrote:I agree!
Agatha wrote:Me, too!

:)
Seaver41 wrote:I would say the ruby red flash was not true 4th wall. It's not 100% clear if it were intended for Magnum or not........we are clearly given a glimpse to see it, and because it was his right eye, if his head was turned sidewaysjust a hair, we'd miss it. It's splitting hairs, but the normal use of 4th wall in Magnum usually 'clears' any character from the stare of the actor..........but in this case Magnum would've been in proximity of his gaze to see it.
Braddah Kimo wrote:"

And Charlie was quite emphatically looking at TM at the end. No 4th wall breaking. That would make little sense. The glint in his eye was as mentioned, as a wink to mag.
I think, what must be taken into consideration here is that Magnum breaks the 4th wall directly after the "flashy" look he gets from Charlie. That "breaking the 4th wall" by Magnum can make sense only if Magnum can assume the audience to have seen what he has seen. That´s why the camera providing the view of the audience towards Charlie is positioned behind Magnums back just before Charlie first turns away from Magnum to right afterwards be turning back towards him. That way the audience shares about the same viewing angle with Magnum. That again makes it kind of impossible to determine if a "double 4th wall breaking" (first by Charlie, then by Magnum) is intended by the writer/director.
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#113 Post by Danny Lin »

On Charlie "protecting" Magnum from Makua:
Frodoleader wrote:
Doc Ibold wrote:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:One thing I forgot to mention, not really a blooper but a strange moment – at the end, only one of Charlie’s eyes glow ruby red. What is he, half Kahuna or something?!
He IS the Kahuna, who protected Magnum from Makua...

:lol:
Exactly!!!

:D
Considering that Christine in her TV coverage on Makua, who had died in the burning sugar cane fields, speaks of him as a "self proclaimed Kahuna" and considering that Charlie later in the episode says to Magnum: "Well, there are some people to be afraid of, Magnum, and there are some people, not to be afraid of. Makua was somebody not to be feared. - Hey, Magnum... I told you he don´t have no power over you.", one has to come to the conclusion that Charlie, who finally turns out to be a Kahuna, knew all the time that Makua´s "curse" wouldn´t be able to do anything. Thus it wasn´t even necessary to protect Magnum.
Last edited by Danny Lin on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#114 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "hitting the camera flub" and the episode not being Rick centric:
Jay-Firestorm wrote:

* When Henry, Magnum’s rival surf-skier dies, watch carefully – his surf-ski continues forwards in the ocean and hits the camera, causing it to wobble slightly!

By the way, I’m not sure if I’d class this as a Rick-centric episode; yes it does feature him, but doesn’t centre around him, much more time is spent with Magnum and T.C. :)
After reading this thread I was kind of astonished about the fact that, although I had seen that sequence in which Henry collapses on the surf ski several times already, I never realized that his boat bumps into the camera. Which it does quite plainly. I would say that the camera wobbles not only slightly! Unbelievable which things our brains just seem to refuse to realize sometimes... :shock: :? :lol:

I agree that this episode cannot be called Rick centric. Rick is the Manager of the KKC, and the incidents centre around the club.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#115 Post by Danny Lin »

On one of the tie switching flubs:
Sam wrote:James...There are two other flubs..When Higgins,Rick and TM are in the upstairs office,Higgins is wearing a yellow and navy striped tie.Moments later the fire alarm sounds Higgins is seen in the kitchen with a burgundy and navy striped tie. The tie also switches back and forth in a later scene in the office.

I didn´t even realize that the tie switches in that later office sequence. In fact it does so within not more than two seconds!! *shakes head* :D :D

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#116 Post by Danny Lin »

On Higgins´s sunglasses and Ricks office:
Buck wrote:

Did anyone catch Higgens with the dark sunglasses? I thought it was a very cool look.

I liked seeing more of the King Kamehameha Club than just the bar area. What is the room that Rick, Higgens, and TM are in with the wall of glass overlooking the beach and ocean? I don't think that room has been used in any other episode, it is not far from the bar.

I found that those sunglasses suit Higgins very well too. In fact they gave him a mafioso like appearance. 8) :higgins:

And that room is Rick´s office. It has been used frequently already in the episodes before this one.

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#117 Post by Danny Lin »

On an unmentioned flub:

During all the sequences shot in Rick´s office after Magnum and TC escaped the burning sugar cane fields there´s one sequence that, different from all the other ones, seems to be shot at night. It is the sequence in which Magnum says: "Now... The club is on the only land this of Waikiki, still relatively undeveloped, right?" Just before Magnum sits down on the desk one can see through the window on the right, that it is dark outside. Some seconds later bright daylight is back.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#118 Post by K Hale »

This is one of my favorite episodes. I really enjoy ensemble pieces where all four guys get to interact as much as possible. Plus there was a lot of Hawaii in this episode, from the whole kahuna curse thing to the burning of the sugar cane to the surf ski race backstory. The opening sequence of Higgins listing all the rules Magnum is breaking, while we see him in the act of breaking them, is priceless. "Put it on Robin's tab!"

Good catch on the two people who noticed Higgins' tie switch. I've seen this ep countless times and never noticed that. Wardrobe should have kept track of what tie he was supposed to have on...
SignGuyHPW wrote:This was a really good one. They did a great job in disguising whom was behind the "curse." They threw it towards so many possibilities that it was never really clear like a lot of episodes were. I liked how they incorporated some native Hawaiian culture into the episode. It was also interesting to see Higgins in an episode where he was in the role of member of the KKC board of directors for the entire show. It was kind of different to have them discuss the club as being in financial difficulty where later the club seemed totally fine as far as that went.
I thought this set up an interesting dynamic between Rick and Higgins as they often clashed over the way he ran the club over the years. It was also interesting that Rick's own club would fail, but he was able to manage the KKC back into the black so quickly. It may not have been a "bust" in the terms of not much buisness as much as it went "bust" as in trouble from the government in some form.
Could be. Or maybe disco was on the way out and people began wanting to go to other clubs. Or maybe it was in a bad area of town (it certainly seemed to be) and the overhead was too high for the more pedestrian people who came in there. In any event he was apparently a very effective manager because we never hear about the KKC having financial difficulty after this.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#119 Post by Little Garwood »

J.J. Walters wrote:Jay is referring to T.C.'s quote to Magnum earlier in the episode (while they are in the Ferrari). T.C. is reading a book on Kahuna's and tells him:

"Kahuna's look just like you and me... (both laugh) According to legend, the only way to know for sure if someone is a Kahuna is by the presence of a ruby flash, detectable in the eyes. (in a newscaster voice) "A ruby flash detectable in the eyes". Why am I reading this nonsense?"
Has anyone ever searched for the Kahuna book that T.C. is reading? It looks more like a self-published pamphlet than an actual book, but I wonder if it's a published book or just something cobbled together for the episode.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#120 Post by ENSHealy »

J.J. Walters wrote:Gonna have to pass on the earplug one, though. Those do sometimes take several tries to get those things in.
I think it should count as a flub. If he were just pushing the plug in further, I'd be with you on not including it, but if you notice, he either bites off a piece (of wax?) or moistens the plug by putting it in his mouth before putting it in his ear. He actually does this clearly twice with each ear (the biting/moistening thing). If he were just adjusting the earplug that was already in, he wouldn't do that?

Although I suppose that if it is wax he's using, he could be biting off a second piece to go over the first? Seems like that would make it darn hard to get that first piece out later, though.

Here's a new flub that is definitely a flub: When TM enters the Dollinger residence the second time, to confront the old man about the land, he's wearing his brown deck shoes. He runs into the reporter while leaving, and they get in her car together. Later, when they show TM braking the car, he's wearing Converse sneakers.

The thing that always bothered me about the "flash" is that it isn't a flash. It sort of looks like someone just pointed a really large laser pointer at his eye. It's perfectly round. It does "pulse" a little, but I would think they'd have had the technology to make it look more like a flash, or a "sparkle." You know, a twinkle in the eye.

Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#121 Post by ENSHealy »

1.11 THE CURSE OF THE KING KAMEHAMEHA CLUB
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Body Count: 2 Henry, Makua
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks: 1 TC 1 TM
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 7

Potential magnumania usernames: Mabel Preston

Stray thoughts:

1. When Thomas arrives at the KKC and parks in D.L. Hart's parking space, he gets out of the Ferrari with an open mug of coffee. First, where was the coffee while he was driving, as it takes two hands to drive that thing and there are certainly no cup holders; and second, how did he not splash coffee all over the interior?
2. After walking in to the KKC with his coffee, TM proceeds to have a beer. A beer right after coffee? That sounds nasty! You would definitely need a palate cleanser before that beer.
3. I mentioned this in another thread, but Dollinger says he founded the club. Later we find out the club was founded in 1905. Dollinger is 80. Therefore he founded the club when he was 4 years old, apparently.
4. Dollinger says of the family land "But we didn't just own that land, we worked it. We dug it, planted, harvested, sugarcane, pineapple fields---all of it we did ourselves with good, honest work." They use two locations to represent "the club" in this episode. One is the Elks Club in Waikiki, the other I believe is a beach in Kahala. I'd be curious if someone with a good knowledge of the islands (paging Braddah Kimo...Braddah Kimo) would be able to verify if that land would have been in agricultural use in the first half of the 20th century.
5. Christine says that she'll have Thomas looking like a "frustrated private eye" but he doesn't bother to correct her.
6. The hospital paging fetish is on full display. We hear the following:

Dr. Dan Webb to O.R. One. Dr. Dan Webb.
Miriam Hara, you're wanted in X-ray. Miriam Hara.
Jane Tordstrem to Obstetrics. Jane Tordstrem
Jane Tordstrem to Obstetrics
Paging George Glubna. George Glubna
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#122 Post by Stelth »

Don't page kimo a third time....he's like Beetlejuice.

Shaneram36
Ensign

Re:

#123 Post by Shaneram36 »

love the black Hawaiian shirt you won't see it after this episode my guess is because of filming the brush fire scenes probably ruined the shirt.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#124 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi,
Interesting observation. I often wondered if the shirt was perhaps deliberately "retired" following the tragic death of the camera-man Robert Vanderkar during shooting of Skin Deep. TS wore the black jungle bird shirt in Skin Deep. This of course is pure speculation on my part. "The Curse of the KKC " occurs 6 episodes later so I am probably way off. I too love the black shirt and intend to buy it soon.

https://www.alohashirtshop.com/categori ... -found.php

BTW welcome to Magnum Mania bruddah !
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#125 Post by Chris109 »

ENSHealy wrote:1.11 THE CURSE OF THE KING KAMEHAMEHA CLUB
Hawaiian shirts: 1
Island Hopper shirts:
Body Count: 2 Henry, Makua
Shirtless: 2
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks: 1 TC 1 TM
Negotiations:
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 7

Potential magnumania usernames: Mabel Preston

Stray thoughts:

1. When Thomas arrives at the KKC and parks in D.L. Hart's parking space, he gets out of the Ferrari with an open mug of coffee. First, where was the coffee while he was driving, as it takes two hands to drive that thing and there are certainly no cup holders; and second, how did he not splash coffee all over the interior?
2. After walking in to the KKC with his coffee, TM proceeds to have a beer. A beer right after coffee? That sounds nasty! You would definitely need a palate cleanser before that beer.
3. I mentioned this in another thread, but Dollinger says he founded the club. Later we find out the club was founded in 1905. Dollinger is 80. Therefore he founded the club when he was 4 years old, apparently.
4. Dollinger says of the family land "But we didn't just own that land, we worked it. We dug it, planted, harvested, sugarcane, pineapple fields---all of it we did ourselves with good, honest work." They use two locations to represent "the club" in this episode. One is the Elks Club in Waikiki, the other I believe is a beach in Kahala. I'd be curious if someone with a good knowledge of the islands (paging Braddah Kimo...Braddah Kimo) would be able to verify if that land would have been in agricultural use in the first half of the 20th century.
5. Christine says that she'll have Thomas looking like a "frustrated private eye" but he doesn't bother to correct her.
6. The hospital paging fetish is on full display. We hear the following:

Dr. Dan Webb to O.R. One. Dr. Dan Webb.
Miriam Hara, you're wanted in X-ray. Miriam Hara.
Jane Tordstrem to Obstetrics. Jane Tordstrem
Jane Tordstrem to Obstetrics
Paging George Glubna. George Glubna
You forgot Charlie and his sexual assault against the bikini chick.