6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 102

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Sisophous »

burny wrote:i just watched this ep again - i feel like i missed something - why is TC so very hostile to Rick and TM for trying to help? - like over the top hostile. i can understand how he would not want to implicate them in what he considers to be his problem and his decisions, but why is he so hostile about it instead of just explaining and saying "its my problem" ? ....just seems awkward and "out of nowhere to me.....
It's called bad acting. It could be the director wanted TC to be hostile and it called for it in the script. I think the intended effect was to show TC as losing it and not thinking rationally. He did the same hostile, irrational act toward the group of kids who were at his Helicopter hanger and at one point breaks down in this episode.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#42 Post by Agatha »

I think he's kicking himself for allowing Joey (and the drug dealer) to "sucker" him in to throwing away the life that he's built for himself.

I don't know about you, but I very rarely punish ME when I'm really mad at ME! I'm very much more likely to look for somebody else...ANYBODY else...that I can blame.

lol

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Reef monkey »

I have always wondered why they decided to change intro theme music in this episode, theater than waiting until the beginning of the second season? Definitely an improvement. The old theme was too 70s, like Charlie's Angels or Vega$.

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Braddah Kimo »

There is much shooting day for night in this ep.
Glad I never see (hear) more of Sarah. I can not stand her voice. Nor can I handle TM obediently following her reprimandingly school-marmishly delivered orders to create some absurd recipe. What is he. a man or a mouse. Who cares. No one's watching. Shut it off and drink a Poops.
"tearing-down-the-fourth-wall" block that metaphor. I mean explode that metaphor. It is 'break the fourth wall'.

Mac and TM's scenes were fun to watch. Barkeep has got two big fluffy fake lei on. This is never done. It would get in the way of work, it would be too hot and besides, he wears them as a malihini would. Tight up against the back of the neck. No local does that.

"that's a location which would likely be impossible to find any other way." I would think Google earth is another way. Or ask someone who lives on 'Oahu.
The darkroom drama was pretty intense.
Joey hitched a ride in a North Shore braddah's pick up truck. It has a vintage yellow decal on the back window which reads "Chicken Fighters Of Hawaii" and depicts two cartoon roosters squaring off boxing style.
TM at the dock. Goes over to a prop payphone which is obviously a cheap flimsy prop that needed more base. It wobbles to and fro even before TM gets near and touches it! Real payphones are firmly affixed to the asphalt or concrete of course, and would never have any degree of wobble, especially at the slightest move by someone a couple feet away.
Sentencing and public auction of TC's helo the same day? Within two weeks' time?! Public auction would never happen that immediately. Any vehicle, aircraft or vessel would be logged and inventoried and stored for accumulative inventory auction at a much later date. NO aspect of the government works anywhere that fast. Especially in Hawai'i!
That was too wacky; TM immediately joining up with the stevedores and immediately blending in. I suppose we are to assume he made the rounds and introduced himself. But it's unrealistic... everyone knows everyone and everyone has one position, there are no extra hands, and someone who runs forklifts into 55 gallon drums would immediately be excused post haste from the docks. besides, the supervisor would say whodahell you, hah?!
The slow b.g. music inexplicably pauses and then suddenly picks up speed on a fast run to nowhere during the scene when TM casually looks around the engine room and passageways. " some deck hand died and was buried at sea. nothing unusual in that, it happens all the time!" oh, really? all... the time. hmmm. On what ship? ground that vessel immediately and quarantine it!
I like the scene the stevedores vs the deckhands. And TM looks on disaffectedly for a bit... and the bad guy topside leasurely puffs on a cig, also watching the hockey match...
Another inexplicable moment. TC is surrounded by a buncha kids in his warehouse. I thought he ran a helicopter tour company. Not a Montessori. he yells at da kids just get out! Then hollers a bunch of indecipherable weird gobbledy gook! "You snow one fuh no money or nuthin' like that, man. Hilter's fun..." Looks like the Paradise Found/ Diamond Head Sportswear overall Orchid print shirt on TM there.

Continuity error: TM wears khaki topsiders throughout the ep. And during the fight with TC. But they forgot to inform his stunt double, for in the long shots of the fight scene, his stuntie wears dark shoes. Wardrobe was asleep at the wheel.

Our boys in the ferrari go look for Joey at some decrepit apartments next to the Blu Shell Hotel Apartments in Waikiki.
last scene, TM's realization when he says 'well I'll be damned' is quite a bit reduced in effect as at that moment he also is busy putting on a bignose glasses gag thing and then turns 180 degrees to look directly at the camera. hmmmm.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Thicker than Blood (1.12)

#45 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I really enjoyed this one. It did a lot to build and establish TC's character. I totally agree with those that thought the drugs not being found by the authorities was far fetched, but I can buy that they found them and then put them back for the sting operation. The woman on the recording was kind of indifferent for me. It didn't really do anything for the plot of this show nor was I really turned off from the episode over it. The thing that really bugged me was that Joey showed his arms to have no new tracks on them as well as showing his eyes yet they were telling him that Joey was never clean and just used eye drops. If that's so then how'd he only have old tracks?

I think the fight between TC and Magnum was a great scene. Rick getting them to stop so TC could come to the phone was gold. I thought TC being so openly hostile as a way to try to keep his friends out of being co-conspirators was really good. TC didn't really want them to not help so much as he wanted them to not get caught in his trouble.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted Thicker Than Blood a 6.5 (Not So Good)

It had been quite some time since I'd last watched it, so when it opened with ten or so minutes of laborious, padded scenes of T.C. and the ship crew and absolutely no sign of TM, Higgins, and Rick, I knew I was in for a below-par episode. The episode could have been much improved had it started with Thomas and Rick worrying about T.C. instead of showing those ship guys scribbling over those charts and shots of the helicopter flying. The "Three-Other-Characters-Getting-Together-When-One-of-Them-is-Missing" scenes would subsequently be a proven MPI hallmark and one I absolutely treasure in this series (the only other series that did this as well as Magnum, P.I. was Bonanza)

T.C. was shrill and irrational in this and while I can understand some season one uncertainty--I am dying to know the production order on MPI--I think the problem lies within the script, because, as the saying goes, "if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage." I did like the (sadly last-minute) reasoning offered for why T.C. went all out for this junkie and ex-Vietnam buddy but it would have made the episode so much better if Magnum and Rick had known about Joey--it's always Joey in these bad episodes, isn't it?--and how he saved T.C.'s life and perhaps even tied that in with Magnum and Rick's memories of the incident, though I don't recall if the guys were all serving together at the time in Vietnam.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#47 Post by Doc Ibold »

Little Garwood wrote:I voted Thicker Than Blood a 6.5 (Not So Good)

It had been quite some time since I'd last watched it, so when it opened with ten or so minutes of laborious, padded scenes of T.C. and the ship crew and absolutely no sign of TM, Higgins, and Rick, I knew I was in for a below-par episode. The episode could have been much improved had it started with Thomas and Rick worrying about T.C. instead of showing those ship guys scribbling over those charts and shots of the helicopter flying. The "Three-Other-Characters-Getting-Together-When-One-of-Them-is-Missing" scenes would subsequently be a proven MPI hallmark and one I absolutely treasure in this series (the only other series that did this as well as Magnum, P.I. was Bonanza)

T.C. was shrill and irrational in this and while I can understand some season one uncertainty--I am dying to know the production order on MPI--I think the problem lies within the script, because, as the saying goes, "if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage." I did like the (sadly last-minute) reasoning offered for why T.C. went all out for this junkie and ex-Vietnam buddy but it would have made the episode so much better if Magnum and Rick had known about Joey--it's always Joey in these bad episodes, isn't it?--and how he saved T.C.'s life and perhaps even tied that in with Magnum and Rick's memories of the incident, though I don't recall if the guys were all serving together at the time in Vietnam.
Hey LG, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but from my recollection, Magnum did know about Joey. I believe the quote was something along the lines of "It took a lot of guts to pull you out of that chopper. But he used up what little he had right there"

I do think you're right about that being before Ricks time though it's alway hard to pinpoint when Rick joined the team.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#48 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:
Little Garwood wrote: T.C. was shrill and irrational in this and while I can understand some season one uncertainty--I am dying to know the production order on MPI--I think the problem lies within the script, because, as the saying goes, "if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage." I did like the (sadly last-minute) reasoning offered for why T.C. went all out for this junkie and ex-Vietnam buddy but it would have made the episode so much better if Magnum and Rick had known about Joey--it's always Joey in these bad episodes, isn't it?--and how he saved T.C.'s life and perhaps even tied that in with Magnum and Rick's memories of the incident, though I don't recall if the guys were all serving together at the time in Vietnam.
Hey LG, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but from my recollection, Magnum did know about Joey. I believe the quote was something along the lines of "It took a lot of guts to pull you out of that chopper. But he used up what little he had right there"

I do think you're right about that being before Ricks time though it's alway hard to pinpoint when Rick joined the team.
I re-watched this episode in the last few weeks and I recall the same scene.

I kind of agree with Little Garwood in that the episode was a little disjointed, but overall I think it was a good one. It held true to the core of the characters and added more to TC's backstory.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Rocket
Lieutenant

#49 Post by Rocket »

As far a pacing goes, this far into season one, this episode is by far the best. I am watching all the episodes in order so can't compare to other seasons yet. Yes the drugs still being in the chopper is suspect, but other than that, a very good episode.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by KingKC »

This one will stay in my memory forever. As I wrote in the Welcome Wagon thread, I had just moved to Kansas City as a career move and had spent my first day alone unpacking and trying to find the grocery store, the gas station, the pizza parlor, etc., etc., when I sat down that evening to watch TV. It was Thursday, February 26, 1981 and I turned on the familiar faces of Thomas, TC, Rick and Higgins and it was almost as if I had brought part of my comfort zone with me on the move from my hometown. I had started watching MPI and Hill Street Blues prior to the move. TC showed an unusual propensity for hostility as this characteristic showed up often but in softer, sarcastic comments. The fight with Magnum was something to remember! It displayed the loyalty and camaraderie of those from Vietnam. It had good investigation and an "all's well that ends well," "buddies again and forever" finish.

KingKC

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by Danny Lin »

On the "Budapest" - "Evelyn H" flub.
Magnum T. wrote:
Visiting Stewardess wrote: Just one thing I have noticed which no-one else has mentioned yet (I think):
The name on the ship in the opening scene is clearly "Budapest". Yet later Magnum says it's the "Evelyn H"...
Well, clearly I wouldn't say so (the scene is very dark :lol: ) but I checked and you are right, Hawkeye.
I´d say that it is quite clear, since the camera focusses in on the name "Budapest", holding it right in the middle of the screen, covering one quarter of the width of the screen. Additionally there is no other content to see on the screen to distract the audiences attention during that sequence. For sure that is a flub. I didn´t really understand either why they chose the name "Evelyn H" later in the episode instead of just to stick with "Budapest". The name of the ship can´t even be read anywhere during the sequences in the docklands...
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#52 Post by Danny Lin »

On TC being on probation:
IslandHopper wrote:

Since the writers ask the audience to abandon all logic at times (like believing that the Coast Guard wouldn't have searched the chopper for drugs), I thought it was unfortunate that they couldn't have somehow exonerated TC of the felony charge(s) without having him on probation for 5 years for smuggling a deserter. The writers could have gotten away without even mentioning it (Rick mentions it in the last scene in the guest house). In reality, I'm sure the FAA would have stripped TC of his license to fly, and he would not have been able to fly in the Marine Reserves, as in "Did You See The Sunrise" (Season 3).

But shouldn´t we be thankful for every single time the writers don´t ask us to abandon all logic?! Nobody needs that kind of bad writing, right? It just simply would have been incredible to let TC get away without any kind of punishment. And to just simply not mention him being on probation wouldn´t have made TC flying in the Marine Reserves later on more credible, since the audience knows and would remember that he once smuggled a deserter...
... Then I'm history... Walking history... I'll be just another chapter in one of those dumb books Louise Peardon makes me read: "Prince Danny Lin, assassinated July." ...

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by Danny Lin »

On Magnum breaking the fourth wall at the end:
J.J. Walters wrote:

And then the episode ends with Magnum putting on the Groucho Marx "mask", saying "How about that!?", and looking at the camera. A great tearing-down-the-fourth-wall "final frame".

What Magnum says before that tearing-down-the-fourth-wall "final frame" is: "Well, I´ll be damned." It is a reaction to Higgins telling him that he´ll just have to stay. He´s not asking the audience: "How about that!?"

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

Re:

#54 Post by Danny Lin »

On the authorities not searching the chopper for drugs:
Carol the Dabbler wrote:

Still, it does seems odd that "they" didn't give the copter a thorough going-over -- and, as IH pointed out, the dope wasn't even really hidden, just stored in some obvious compartments! Stuff like this drives me nuts, but I think I've figured out a plausible scenario.

The feds *had* found the drugs in TC's copter, and were waiting to spring it on him and his lawyer as late as allowed by the disclosure laws (just before the trial?). But when Magnum et al. clued them in on their theory that the real smuggler would bid on the copter, the feds played along -- even to the point of putting the drugs (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) back into the compartments.

Of course, they can't put everything that happened into the episode, due to time constraints. :wink:
But that fictional scenario that was figured out here wouldn´t be able to explain why the drug smugglers would have been silly enough to store the drugs in those obvious compartments. Nobody can ever believe that that way to smuggle drugs could ever work out and nobody would ever take that risk!
Stuff like this drives me nuts too,
Seaver41 wrote:

I can't get past the drugs in the floor board and never being discovered. Now I get it that the show asks you to extend your imagination with thr supernatural and afterlife here and there, but this was just an insult to one's basic intelligence.

but it is not the audiences task to figure a story that fits. It is the damn task of the writers and directors and if they handle things like they did here, we have to just call it what it is: BAD WRITING!!
It is as bad as no one taking care of the shot Eric in "Missing in Action" or Choi getting so distracted by TC´s helicopter that Magnum has time to pick his gun in "China Doll".
Bad stuff like this thrice in the first twelve episodes... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Danny Lin
Vice Admiral

#55 Post by Danny Lin »

On Joey, not having fresh tracks on his arms:
SignGuyHPW wrote:

The thing that really bugged me was that Joey showed his arms to have no new tracks on them as well as showing his eyes yet they were telling him that Joey was never clean and just used eye drops. If that's so then how'd he only have old tracks?

That Joey only had old tracks on his arms is clearly explained later when we see that he puts the injections in his legs. He certainly can have done so for a while back just because he wanted to avoid visible fresh tracks on his arms.