6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 104

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

In the second photo above, with TM driving the teeny, tiny Honda; did anyone else notice the young lady in the background wearing the teeny, tiny swimsuit!! :shock:

PhatCat
Admiral

#12 Post by PhatCat »

Frodoleader wrote:In the second photo above, with TM driving the teeny, tiny Honda; did anyone else notice the young lady in the background wearing the teeny, tiny swimsuit!! :shock:

What's this "teeny, tiny Honda" you speak of?

:wink:

Artie Canoe
Captain

#13 Post by Artie Canoe »

Nice haha.
I have to say I never completely understood the "pyramid club" Magnum goes to :?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

A pyramid scheme is a non-sustainable business model that involves the exchange of money primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, without any product or service being delivered. As a result, they are now illegal in the United States.
It was popular here probably in the late 1970's early 1980's, if my memory serves me correctly. My brother received $10,000 doing a pyramid. That was a lot of $$ back then, you could buy a decent house here in southern California for about $30,000 at that time.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#15 Post by Artie Canoe »

Thanks, that sounds interesting

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#16 Post by Agatha »

A light and "fluffy" episode that I enjoyed very much.

I've always liked Noah Beery...especially as Jim Rockford's father which has already been mentioned.

The antics are a bit like Keystone Cops...there's ALWAYS something happening and new complications come from all corners. I think switching off between Thomas and Bull during the search for Floyd was intricate and interesting. And I LOVE that Cindy is so sure that the Ferrari is Thomas's car. Her line: "What else would a man like you drive?" is wonderful...and the source of a break in the 4th Wall, by the way. That's not the response that Thomas is used to and "who owns the Ferrari" is one of the bits of what I call "insider information" that makes me feel like I "belong" in this group of characters. Even the elderly lady who smashed the bumper thought the Ferrari belonged to someone else and that was after Thomas let her off the hook because Stanley is in a rest home!!! :)

It cracks me up to see Thomas all folded up in Floyd's car. I like that Frodoleader calls the car "teeny tiny"...reminds me of the way Thomas describes the cannons that Higgins plays with!

I heard Doc...or Doug...Ibold paged at the airport. I think probably it's Doug because they'd be more likely to say "Doctor" Ibold in a page. I've made an executive decision that I CAN NOT start listening to pages! I'm having enough trouble searching out breaks in the 4th Wall, keeping track of reoccuring characters and making a list of places that I want to visit if I ever...no, WHEN...I get to visit Oahu.

Fun! Fun! Fun!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#17 Post by J.J. Walters »

Agatha wrote:I've made an executive decision that I CAN NOT start listening to pages!
LOL! Just wait until you start recognizing extras in the background! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#18 Post by Agatha »

And seeing cats!! I've watched Billy Joe Bob a bzillion time and NEVER saw that cat!!

Souome1
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Caddy at the Golf club and moving object in front of safe.

#19 Post by Souome1 »

The Caddy: When Floyd parks the Honda at the golf club, he parks next to a cadillac. The front license plate on the Cadillac is dated "76" on the driver's side of the plate. As I recall, one of Robin's vehicles also suffered from this malady.

The Cadilllac's position: When Floyd parks the Honda, the cadillac's right rear tire is on the white line. When floyd returns, that tire is at least one foot off the line. I believe the move came after Floyd (or a double) pulled the car into the parking place and when Floyd exited the Honda. There seems to be more space between the Honda and the Cadillac in the second shot (from front of Honda) than the first shot (from the rear of the Honda.

The sliding object: James, your notes note that an unknown object slides out of the scene when Floyd is in front of the safe. The object is the satchel (or old-style brief case) that Floyd brought into the office with him. He sets it down outside before neutralizing the alarm and sets it down inside in front of the safe before turning around to turn on the light. It appears that he placed it on the floor just on the edge of its balancing point, causing it to slowly fall over.
JQH3: I don't know what to say.
TSM4: So, you owe me one.
JQH3: I'd really rather not.

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

A shorter review this time; I like this episode, but couldn’t find very much to say about it.

[TV.com rating=8.0; Average]

A woman hires Thomas to find her estranged father, who turns out to be a small-time con-man who doesn’t particularly want to be found – and Magnum isn’t the only one looking for him. An average but fun episode…

-----

'All Roads Lead to Floyd' is a perfectly enjoyable episode, but definitely one of the more average instalments of the show's first season. But in the world of MPI, even average is often good, and I'd still consider it better than some episodes from later seasons (I'm thinking five and six in particular).

The episode features Noah Beery Jr. (here credited as just Noah Beery) as missing con-man Floyd; Beery, of course, played Jim's father Rocky in 'The Rockford Files', and his appearance in this story comes hot on the heels of another Rockford regular, Gretchen Corbett, in 'The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club' just two episodes previously.

I particularly like the scene near the beginning, with Magnum and T.C. bickering about their tennis match, and where Floyd (unbeknown to Magnum at that point) causes the Ferrari to have a prang with the little old lady who doesn’t have car insurance. It is a fine 'Magnum' scene where so many great details are thrown in.

Anne Bloom, who plays Cindy, reminds me somewhat of Goldie Hawn.
Bad guy 'Bull' is played by Red West, who was once Elvis Presley's double, and appeared in many 1970s and 80s US shows, including four episodes of 'The A-Team'. He would appear again in MPI as a different character in the fifth season's 'Let Me Hear the Music'). Bull, rather like the episode, is average, and West could have been given more to work with.

The story isn't exactly the most engaging nor most taxing of the first season, but it is perfectly watchable and likable. Besides, an episode that has amusing shots of the tall Tom Selleck crammed into a tiny Honda can’t be all that bad!

Overall, definitely one of the more average instalments of the season (but not the weakest – 'Thank Heaven for Little Girls and Big Ones Too' gets that title), but it is good fun in its own way.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* T.C. only appears in one scene of this episode (in the car accident sequence).

* At the tourist greeting party when Bull is trying to get a lead of Floyd, his cigar jumps to different sides of his mouth in different shots.

* After Magnum has leapt into Floyd’s car, there is a shot of his double who clearly doesn’t have a moustache.

* I’m not sure if this counts as a legit nitpick, as I'm not sure how Hawaiin car registration works, but Magnum is driving around in Floyd’s car – couldn’t he have got Rick to run a trace on the plates and get an address for Floyd?

* When Rick is telling Cindy how he came to Hawaii after the war and started running the Club, he doesn’t mention his disco. Arguably he was just simplifying the story for her.

* On the DVD version, there is another case of abridged commercial breaks – the third ad break doesn’t have a gap.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

By the way, regarding the paging of Doug Ibold, I put on the subtitles on the DVD, and it gives the page as “Mr. Doug Ival”. I think Ibold is right though, as I’ve noticed one or two slight errors in the subtitles.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#22 Post by Agatha »

Back on March 3rd, James said...

"Just wait until you start recognizing extras in the background!"

Well, it's happened. The Marine pilot that was sitting at the bar next to the blonde gal Mac was talking to in "Dead Man's Channel" is also in the background at the Fox Shop when Higgins goes to watch Holly Berry strip...I mean, dance...I mean, when Higgins goes to talk to Holly Berry about Becky Damon in "A Pretty Good Dancing Chicken."

Egad!!

Jaybird
Admiral

#23 Post by Jaybird »

IslandHopper, you are simply amazing. How do you spot all those flubs?
The big plusses in this episode are the number of lovely ladies. Anne Bloom is absolutely hot in her bikini as is the hostess who invites Magnum to the pyramid party.

How did TS ever fit into that Honda N600? "0" to 60 mph in 19 seconds.

I must say, I am thoroughly enjoying my second time through Season 1. In the future, I think I'll read about the flubs ahead of time. Then I'll get my wife to watch the same episode with me and amaze her at my ability to pick up the fmistakes. Of course, I'll never let on....

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#24 Post by IslandHopper »

Mahalo Jaybird. I get a kick out of spotting flubs because it's kind of nice to know that even the most experienced professionals (producers, directors, editors, etc.) can make mistakes. It makes me feel less fallible.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Dewey
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does anyone know what year and make the green car was?

#25 Post by Dewey »

I work on old cars and loved the green car the old lady was driving that ran into the Ferrari. I think it was a 50 or 51 Chevy??
I dont know what kind of party that was but I wish I would be invited to one!! LOL
And Anne Bloom in those heels and bikin. WOW pretty hot!!
I also love how Old Bull just unpacks what looks to be a 44 Long Barreled Magnum from his suit case. He was not trying to be secretive now was he?