1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 104

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for All Roads Lead to Floyd (1.13). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 3/12/1981
Magnum is hired by a young woman to help find her father, who disappeared over ten years ago, not to be heard from since. Recently though, she has received a postcard from him that was sent from Hawaii. Magnum soon discovers that her father is involved in some rather shady business - and that he isn't the only one looking for him.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Additional flubs for "All Roads Lead To Floyd."

1. When Magnum and TC are driving in the Ferrari after their tennis match, they are passed and cutoff by Floyd in his Honda, causing Magnum to slam on his brakes. The camera cuts to Magnum's (or stunt double's)feet hitting the brakes and clutch. Note that the tennis shoes at the time he slams on the brakes are WHITE CANVAS NIKE'S with a light-blue swoosh. However, when Magnum gets out the Ferrari after the car behind him slams into his rear bumper, Magnum's tennis shoes ARE NOT the white canvas Nike's. They are a different brand, with a navy-blue logo.

2. When Floyd is using the public telephone by the road, watch him dial the telephone number to confirm his flight reservation. He dials [1], [2], [3], [5], [6], [3], [2] and then turns slightly to his left and takes his eye off of the key pad and tries to push the [1], but misses and pushes the flat panel to the left of the [1] as if he were pressing a number. This is hilarious. This is another one of my favorite flubs.

3. This flub is not a single flub, but a series of flubs involving several extras that they use over and over outside of the airport and inside, while walking to the gate, coming off of the plane/jetway, and walking away from the gate to the baggage claim. The director uses the same extras for all of these scenes. It's really funny when you notice what is actually going on with all of these extras. I will try to be as brief as possible.

(a) WHEN MAGNUM ARRIVES AT THE AIRPORT in the Ferrari in his tennis gear, including his non-Nike tennis shoes with the navy-blue insignia, there are 2 people (GUY #1 and WOMAN #2) standing on the side walk near where he parks. (i) GUY #1 has brown hair, is wearing light blue, long sleeve, button down shirt and khaki pants with a brown belt. (ii) WOMAN #2 is wearing a dark brown suit with skirt. (iii) WOMAN #3 is wearing a brown suit (jacket and pants) with brown curly hair carrying a brief/suit case walking toward the entrance of the airport terminal. (iv) GUY #4 with blonde hair, white pants carrying brown suit case. Upon further review, this is actually GUY #10 described below.

(b) AS MAGNUM RUNS INTO THE AIRPORT TERMINAL TO THE GATE you will see: (i) WOMAN #5, an Asian lady in a blue skirt and blue jacket carrying a shoulder bag and suit case. (ii) GUY #6 wearing blue jeans, white tennis shoes and light brown short sleeve button down shirt with some kind of design, carrying a brief case. (iii) GUY #7 tall guy with light brown hair, wearing blue long sleeve shirt. (iv) WOMAN #8, older lady wearing light blue pants and blouse wearing a lei and sunglasses, carrying a brown leather bag from her shoulder. (v) GUY #9 and WOMAN #9 walking together (behind older woman in light blue). Guy #9 has brown hair and a beard, wearing brown pants, golf shirt and a lei. Woman #9 is wearing a fairly big hat, purple (I think) pants and has long curly light brown hair. (vi) GUY #10 is walking the in the opposite direction and is wearing white pants, and plaid sports coat, carrying a brown suit case in left hand and a blue shoulder bag on right shoulder. (vii) GUY #11 has short hair, wearing blue jeans, what looks like a maroon shirt, carrying suit case in right hand and camera on left shoulder.

The first flub you see is when Magnum is running to the gate to meet Cindy, his client, and he has already passed the people/extras mentioned above, he jumps over someone's luggage and right there is GUY #1 who was standing on the sidewalk where Magnum parked. If Magnum ran into the airprot, then how did GUY #1 get that far ahead of Magnum (FLUB). Actually when Magnum parks you also see Guy #6 and #11 far in the background on the sidewalk walking towards the Ferrari. Magnum also passes these guys on his way to the gate inside the terminal. These guys were even farther behind Magnum when he took off running to the terminal (FLUB).

(c) AT THE GATE YOU WILL SEE THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE GETTING 'OFF' OF THE AIRPLANE/JETWAY: (i) LADY #3 (brown suit) who was on the sidewalk where Magnum parked the Ferrari (FLUB); (ii) Cindy, Magnum's client, no flub here; (iii) GUY #10 wearing white pants, plaid sports jacket. GUY #10 disappears for a few seconds and is seen passing Magnum as Magnum comes in (FLUB) and then again in a few seconds as Magnum introduces himself to Cindy, you will see GUY #10 again as he is coming off the jetway this time with a woman, and he is still carrying the same blue shoulder bag, but this time is holding it in his right hand (FLUB). Remember, this GUY #10 was first seen walking in the opposite direction as Magnum was making his way to the gate; (iv) Bull (Red West) exits the plane/jetway (no flub here). After Bull exits the jetway, the extras standing on either side of the gate or jetway door, seem to peer into the jetway and close in, but you can see LADY #8 (older lady in light blue) holding a lei in her left hand; GUY #9 will come into picture (brown hair & beard, golf shirt), but he is with a different woman. WOMAN #9 (lady with big hat) is on other side of jetway door and she leaves with a different guy. (v) Behind Cindy, you will see GUY #1 (guy who was outside where Magnum parked) wearing a lei coming off of the plane/jetway (FLUB); (vi) Then you will see WOMAN #5 (Asian lady, blue suit) coming off of the plane/jetway (FLUB), (vii) followed by GUY #7 (tall guy, blue shirt) coming off of the plane/jetway (FLUB); (viii) followed by GUY #6 coming off of plane/jetway (FLUB); (ix) followed by GUY #11 coming off of plane/jetway (FLUB). As Magnum and Cindy walk out of the gate area, you get a good shot of GUY #6 walking out also carrying a brief case and GUY #11 walking out with Woman #9 (she was originally with Guy #9).

You will see most of these same extras walk back to the baggage claim with Magnum and Cindy, but watch how they all walk by sometimes wearing a lei, sometimes not. It seems that they are constantly walking back and forth as Magnum and Cindy are making their way to baggage claim. It's hilarious.

(d) AS MAGNUM AND CINDY WALK FROM GATE TO BAGGAGE CLAIM YOU WILL SEE: (i) WOMAN #8 (older lady in light blue) walking in front of Magnum and Cindy away from gate and she is wearing a lei. Then about 25 to 30 seconds later, the same lady walks back toward the gate, passing Magnum and Cindy, and this time she is not wearing the lei (FLUB). NOTE right about this time you will hear an announcement for DOUG IBOLD TO REPORT TO CUSTOMS. Doug Ibold is a Film Editor for Magnum P.I. This is not a flub, but is pretty cool how the crew inserts their own name into certain episodes. (ii) Magnum and Cindy stop walking and she shows him the postcard from her father. Watch the extras go by. You will see WOMAN #3 (brown suit) walk back toward the gate; GUY #1 walk back toward the gate without his lei, followed by GUY #9 and WOMAN #9 (Back together again), followed by WOMAN #8 (briefly). (iii) Just as Magnum says to Cindy, "Don't get upset, this is helpful, this is very helpful", GUY #9 makes antoher appearance by himself, not with Woman #9. (iv) Just as Magnum says to Cindy "We'll find him on Oahu won't we", the camera focuses on Cindy, GUY #6 walks by right behind Cindy followed by Guy #11 and then by Guy #1.

(e) AS MAGNUM AND CINDY WALK FROM BAGGAGE CLAIM TO THE FERRARI you will see many of the extras also outside. Now this may not be unusual if these people really did get off of the plane and collected their baggage, but many of these people are seen walking back inside the airport as if they just arrived for a flight. (i) As Magnum and Cindy are standing outside by the Ferrari, Cindy says in regards to the Ferrari: "what else would a man like you drive." Magnum looks into the camera, then GUY #6 walks by and the camera cuts back to inside the airport terminal with Bull (Red West) walking into the Men's Room, but just ahead of him is GUY #6 followed by GUY #1, and WOMAN #3 walks by the restroom.

4. When Bull goes to look for Floyd, he goes to Floyd's former employer, Oahu Greeters, and as he is talking with the owner, GUY #10 walks by wearing the same white pants and plaid sport coat.

5. When Magnum and Cindy pull up to the estate in Floyd's beat-up Honda, and they get out and close the doors of the car, it doesn't sound the same as when Magnum closed the Honda's door earlier in the episode. Then, it sounded like a hollow tin-metallic sound. But when Magnum and Cindy got out and closed the doors, it sounded like the Ferrari doors closing (flush and non-metallic).

Despite the flubs, this episode had its moments, like Cindy in her bikini.

Does anyone know what golf course was used in the opening scene of this episode?

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Danno »

Whoah! Island Hopper, I'm blown away by your attention to detail!
:shock: Amazing!
Despite the flubs, this episode had its moments, like Cindy in her bikini.
I like how you end with this... :wink:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Whoa, IslandHopper! Your ability to catch episode flubs is mind blowing! Amazing. :shock:

I'll add these to the Episode Guide, with credit, pronto. Thanks!

I've always liked this kind of goofy episode probably more than I should. Hey, it's got Noah Berry Jr. (another Rockford Files connection) and Red West (close friend/bodyguard of Elvis!) in it!
IslandHopper wrote:Does anyone know what golf course was used in the opening scene of this episode?
It's funny you asked this, because I coincidentally just found out that the golf course scenes were filmed at "Pali Golf Course" in Kaneohe. ;)

Let's all take a look at Cindy (Anne Bloom) in her bikini, shall we:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

Hey thanks, Dan and James. As you both know, MPI is fun to watch for many reasons.

James, thanks for the information on the golf course filmed in "All Roads Lead To Floyd." In 2001, I played at the Ko'olau Golf Club, which is also located in Kaneohe, Ohau. The layout of the course featured in "All Roads Lead To Floyd" looks very similar to the course I played. That's why I was asking. The course you mentioned, I'm sure is in close proximity to the course I played. It was a great time. I went through 3 rolls of film by the time I finished 18 holes. I've got to make it back and play again, and see some more sights. If you haven't been to Hawaii, it's well worth the trip.

Thanks again, Dan and James.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper, you may actually see some parts of Koolau GC in the episode, as Pali GC is literally right next to it!

[google maps link]

I was fortunate enough to go to Hawaii in '87, just before I graduated from High School. A fantastic trip and one I'll never forget! Best memory - boogie boarding on the North Shore at Sunset Beach Park! The locals said the surf was mild, but they were the biggest damn waves I've ever seen, I'll tell ya that! My dad busted his nose up pretty good on one of reefs. Ah, good times. ;)

I remember as we were driving around the island, I was always trying to spot the "Magnum Crew". Never saw 'em. Looking back, we apparently drove right past the Eve Anderson estate (a couple of times), but at the time I had no idea where the place was! I'd love to get back there some day, but I don't think my wife would go for it, as she knows that I would spend most of the time trying to hit famous "Magnum Locations". ;)

perfectlykevin
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by perfectlykevin »

Not really a flub but something cool I noticed the other night when re-watching this episode is that on the loudspeaker you can here "Doug Ibold" being paged! :D At first I thought they said "Doc Ibold" (couldn't quite completely make it out) but then it occured to me the next night while watching another episode and seeing "Douglas Ibold" listed as the film editor. Wonder if that happens alot in the show and I've just never noticed? 8)

Kev

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

perfectlykevin,

Yeah, it does happen a lot, in one episode Magnum is working for a man named "J. Rickley Schneider", which is a play on "J. Rickley Dumm" and "Andrew Schneider"

Lance White
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#9 Post by Lance White »

Rocky! :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Shirley Rogers (Rick's date Denise in "Don't Say Goodbye" and the snorkel lady in "Three Minus Two") can be spotted briefly in the background a couple of times during the pool party scene....

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Floyd's car is a Honda N600. I initially thought it was a Mini for some reason, until I saw the Honda symbol on the front (thank you SelleckLover for the "heads up"). Man, I didn't realize Honda cars started appearing in the states in 1970! :shock:

When Magnum gets out (with difficulty) and slams the door in frustration .... cracks me up every time. :)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

In the second photo above, with TM driving the teeny, tiny Honda; did anyone else notice the young lady in the background wearing the teeny, tiny swimsuit!! :shock:

PhatCat
Admiral

#12 Post by PhatCat »

Frodoleader wrote:In the second photo above, with TM driving the teeny, tiny Honda; did anyone else notice the young lady in the background wearing the teeny, tiny swimsuit!! :shock:

What's this "teeny, tiny Honda" you speak of?

:wink:

Artie Canoe
Captain

#13 Post by Artie Canoe »

Nice haha.
I have to say I never completely understood the "pyramid club" Magnum goes to :?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#14 Post by SelleckLover »

A pyramid scheme is a non-sustainable business model that involves the exchange of money primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, without any product or service being delivered. As a result, they are now illegal in the United States.
It was popular here probably in the late 1970's early 1980's, if my memory serves me correctly. My brother received $10,000 doing a pyramid. That was a lot of $$ back then, you could buy a decent house here in southern California for about $30,000 at that time.

Artie Canoe
Captain

#15 Post by Artie Canoe »

Thanks, that sounds interesting