6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 121

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Coops »

Nope! I"m not kidding! I can't really tell if the dog is getting stepped ON or just stepped INTO but you can definitely see it happening behind T.C. and Rick.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nope, never noticed it either! LOL! :)

The dog definitely gets either stepped on or kicked. But it looks like it was ok afterwards. The dog looks like an Australian Cattle Dog (one of my neighbors has one). Those are some tough dogs! The dog's howl really does sound weird, though. It almost sound like a monkey, or even a Kookaburra! :shock:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Coops »

The howl is what got my attention, then I sort of saw something run across the screen in the background. Then my wife turned to me and said, "What was that screaming? Adelaide?" so I ran it back and saw that dog getting kicked around in the back.

LOL @ J.J. for the Kookaburra! :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

Coops wrote:Then my wife turned to me and said, "What was that screaming? Adelaide?"
LOL! :)

"...like a jar of strawberry preserves on the shelf all winter that just explodes one day."

Here is the audio of the howl. I can't believe I never noticed it before!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Seaver41 »

THIS was an episode I primarily had forgotten. It was a mix of nice moments, some humor...but really some spotty writing. The mystery was weak. Christine Belford, to me, was not credible as a country bumpkin.....I've seen her too many times as bitchy, worldly, and hot. I just couldn't by into the Dorothy act. Episode still wasn't horrible, but I was looking for it to wrap up.

Haven't seen a bad one yet in season 1, but this might be the lowest rated for me.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Sisophous »

Seaver41 wrote:THIS was an episode I primarily had forgotten.
That's understandable, I watched it last night for the first time and it is another sub par episode. I gave it 2 stars out of 5. I am rating all the episodes to later return and watch all the good ones again. Any episodes that I given less than 3 stars I will avoid and not waste my time with them.

This is yet another stupid plot, with an Iowa girl playing the lead role and a horse taking center stage.

The only really memorable moment is early on with Rick and TC laughing uncontrollably at Magnum and the horse story while having a drink at the oceanside restaurant. You could see the anger build in Magnum as he was being mocked by his two buddies.

I have nothing against horses, but when a story revolves around a horse I really say oh no, here we go again.

The character played by the Iowa girl is pure and innocent but at the same time she was so nerdy it turned me off.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#57 Post by .45caliber »

I love this episode, one of my favorite episodes. Very funny and I love the sweetness and shyness of Adelaide. Surprising so many are negative about it.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:When Magnum & Adelaide are settling down for the night in the stable at her ranch, he prompts her to remove her glasses. She takes them off and puts them into her shirt pocket. Does this make sense to anybody?

If she's going to sleep flat on her back all night, it wouldn't make any difference whether she took her glasses off or not. They'd be just fine either on her face or in her pocket.

If she tends to roll around in her sleep, so that she might damage her glasses if they were on her face, if would make sense to take them off. But in that case, they would be just as much at risk in her pocket!
You've got a good point! The only reason for this that makes sense to me would be that if she put them on the ground, they would get dirty or scratched. I guess that just left her pocket by default... :?
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#59 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

.45caliber wrote:I love this episode, one of my favorite episodes. Very funny and I love the sweetness and shyness of Adelaide. Surprising so many are negative about it.
I also like how shy Aidelaide was. The character was great, aside from the scene where she was telling TM about "preserving herself" and "pouncing"... Man, that scene was just awkward to watch. :shock:
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#60 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I never understood what was so hilarious about Magnum working on a case involving a horse (and Higgins too, of all people). Don't they know how valuable a horse can be? When Shergar was stolen (or should I say kidnapped) it was a a big shock in Ireland. Any PI would have made a fortune out of that case.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Adelaide (1.14)

#61 Post by charybdis1966 »

Watching this again I noticed something that had me chuckling, when TC is flying Adelaide and TM over to the stables and all three are supposedly in the front seats of the chopper I couldn't help thinking it was so obvious they were on the ground with the camera man just making slow clockwise circles to simulate being air borne.

I think I read elsewhere on this forum that you can only get two in the front seats of TC's chopper.

Also I keep thinking of Christine Belford as Croft's ill fated partner Leda in classic Battlestar, a character who was as feisty as Adelaide was meek.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by magnumette »

Just finished watching Adelaide- I am re-watching the series in order.
sweet episode but one more thing to add here ...

I loved the interaction between Higgins and Magnum. In addition to the ongoing who's Ferrari is it? I love how Magnum doesn't always get the girl and how people are often oblivious to how good looking he is. In the study, When Higgins says ( I'm typing as best I remember..."what a great pic Magnum. I had no idea you were so photogenic! With your overly aggressive mustache I swear you look like Rhett Butler."

I choked I was laughing so hard. Of course, in real life, Selleck was a Salem model - the man was and still is beautiful and Higgins had no idea lmao.

In this way , Adelaide and TM are alike :)

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#63 Post by Dave Anderson »

I had never seen this episode (or if I did back in the day, I didn't remember it), until a couple nights ago. I watched it twice in the past two evenings.

I like it. Its a nice, "feel good" episode. Its not up there with the best episodes of the series, nor is it particularly profound, but all-in-all its a solid middle-of-the road Magnum episode. The actress did a mostly good job portraying the shy, uptight, but driven to succeed, role. Magnum was very good opposite her. The kiss at the end on the vollyball court was well done. The horses were beautiful. All in all, an enjoyable episode, if nothing spectacular. I gave it an 8.5.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Milton Collins »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Here is Friday’s review. One of my lesser favourite episodes, but still passable.

[TV.com rating = 7.5; average]

I’ve heard this episode occasionally mentioned when discussing worst episodes of the series; I would disagree with this, as there is far worse to come in some later seasons (as always, I cite seasons five and six), but even so, it’s not one of my favourites either

But the episode isn’t all bad. For one, it has some great T.C. & Rick sequences – by this point, Roger E. Mosley and Larry Manetti were starting to really gel onscreen, and the result is a couple of laugh-out-loud moments.

I agree Jay, not a great one but passible as a 7.5 which is what I gave it as well. There are FAR worse ones later on in season 5 for instance (I agree again with your comment about season 5, why was this season in particular so full of bad episodes?). The scene on some deck area of the King Kamehameha Club where they are having drinks and Rick figures out that Thomas is in fact guarding a horse and TM storms away embarrassed and mad is great! Especially when Rick and TC first laugh about going to the horseshow and then slowly warm up to it, the look on Rick's face is priceless! And I love when they actually go to the show dressed up in those ridiculous outfits and want TM to make a big deal about them, so dang funny! By no means do I think this is a great episode but it's not bad either. It's also the 2nd or 3rd Magnum I ever saw so that makes me like it more too!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KingKC »

Although this wasn't a great episode it sure wasn't that bad of one either. I think it was just one of the episodes that began to build the show to what it was which was a lot of diversity in the life of this private investigator. You have to admit there was a lot of different and creative plots in MPI. I did kind of wonder about two episodes concentrating on finding and/or protecting animals in the first season???

KingKC