3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 121

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Re: Adelaide (1.14)

#71 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Whether Norman had a hand in it or not, I always had figured Charles had a heart attack (and it would make sense that Norman frightened him back after being spooked).

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Milton Collins »

I watched this one again last night and I totally agree that Normal trampled Uncle Charles, especially with TM saying "it's not your fault, it's not your fault at all!" But I will say it really didn't make it very clear and I had to watch that part twice to figure out what happened.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Milton Collins wrote:I watched this one again last night and I totally agree that Normal trampled Uncle Charles, especially with TM saying "it's not your fault, it's not your fault at all!" But I will say it really didn't make it very clear and I had to watch that part twice to figure out what happened.
Exactly. That's a Klute level of ambiguity not usually seen in Magnum unless it were a paranormal-themed episode (see the end of "Rapture").

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

So watching it again, we do see Norman chase Charles out of the stable. Nowadays, if a scene like this happened, we'd have heard Norman make sounds and see more evidence of a trampling, but neither happens in this case. Magnum indeed just finds Charles on the ground outside the stable looking surprisingly unscathed. :P No wonder we got so confused! :lol:

Also, slightly off-topic, I'm 99% sure Christine Belford got a rhinoplasty after this episode. It would also explain why she started getting roles much different than Adelaide (snooty, rich, absorbed types instead) as the 80s went on.

Last edited by thechickinthemiddle on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by K Hale »

Horse person here. This episode was so bad in terms of realism that I can't stand to watch it. Literally everything anyone said or did was wrong, wrong, wrong. Would make a great Rifftrax entry. I was going to make a post about all the flubs but it became too depressing.

It would have taken very little effort or expense to hire one (1) person who knows which end eats hay to give a look-see at the script before shooting began, but I guess they reserved that for issues involving guns and helicopters. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

K Hale wrote:Horse person here. This episode was so bad in terms of realism that I can't stand to watch it. Literally everything anyone said or did was wrong, wrong, wrong. Would make a great Rifftrax entry. I was going to make a post about all the flubs but it became too depressing.

It would have taken very little effort or expense to hire one (1) person who knows which end eats hay to give a look-see at the script before shooting began, but I guess they reserved that for issues involving guns and helicopters. :lol:
Now I imagine the Rifftrax voices. :lol: Some early episodes make surprisingly little sense. (Eric's fate in "Missing in Action" readily comes to mind.)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by K Hale »

Also, what is so funny about ensuring security for a valuable horse? These are the same guys who made a very big deal out of ensuring security for a carved figurine that was worth a fraction of what the horse was said to be worth. What's the joke?
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#78 Post by J.J. Walters »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:So watching it again, we do see Norman chase Charles out of the stable. Nowadays, if a scene like this happened, we'd have heard Norman make sounds and see more evidence of a trampling, but neither happens in this case. Magnum indeed just finds Charles on the ground outside the stable looking surprisingly unscathed. :P No wonder we got so confused! :lol:

Also, slightly off-topic, I'm 99% sure Christine Belford got a rhinoplasty after this episode. It would also explain why she started getting roles much different than Adelaide (snooty, rich, absorbed types instead) as the 80s went on.

Sorry dude, she's hot! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#79 Post by marlboro »

K Hale wrote:What's the joke?
Well, he thought his client was a human and it turned out to be a horse. It's like a doctor being called for an emergency housecall only to find out his patient is a cow.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

J.J. Walters wrote:
thechickinthemiddle wrote:So watching it again, we do see Norman chase Charles out of the stable. Nowadays, if a scene like this happened, we'd have heard Norman make sounds and see more evidence of a trampling, but neither happens in this case. Magnum indeed just finds Charles on the ground outside the stable looking surprisingly unscathed. :P No wonder we got so confused! :lol:

Sorry dude, she's hot! :)
Don't disagree with you there. (Also, darn expired image embeds.)

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#81 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

This is one of my favorites of the silly episodes. Not the best plot but Adelaide is so adorable and sweet. I much prefer her character over those overly dramatic or loudmouth guest stars. Adelaide is somewhat insecure and nervous which makes for a charming chemistry on screen. I love her and the Ghostbusters actress whose name escapes me.

The scene at the KCC was hilarious and it was terrific to see TC using an Elks Lodge napkin as he was trying to compose himself!

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by Kevster »

#1 Buzzettes Fan wrote:This is one of my favorites of the silly episodes. Not the best plot but Adelaide is so adorable and sweet. I much prefer her character over those overly dramatic or loudmouth guest stars. Adelaide is somewhat insecure and nervous which makes for a charming chemistry on screen. I love her and the Ghostbusters actress whose name escapes me.

The scene at the KCC was hilarious and it was terrific to see TC using an Elks Lodge napkin as he was trying to compose himself!
Annie Potts? She was in MPI...
Trust Me!!!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by KingKC »

Kevster wrote:
#1 Buzzettes Fan wrote:This is one of my favorites of the silly episodes. Not the best plot but Adelaide is so adorable and sweet. I much prefer her character over those overly dramatic or loudmouth guest stars. Adelaide is somewhat insecure and nervous which makes for a charming chemistry on screen. I love her and the Ghostbusters actress whose name escapes me.

Annie Potts? She was in MPI...
She was a young police officer in Legacy From a Friend (3.19).

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by ENSHealy »

1.14 ADELAIDE
Hawaiian shirts: 1 classic jungle bird
Island Hopper shirts: 2 dark blue tanks and light blue t-shirt
Body Count:
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice: 1
I know what you’re thinking: 3
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections: 1
Magnum injuries:
Higgins musings: 1
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations: 1 – 2 weeks of obeying estate rules in exchange for Higgins answering horse insurance questions.
Famous guest stars:
Magnumometer: 11

Although I think that Ms. Belford overplays the "down-home Iowa girl" a bit, I found this to be an enjoyable episode. However I did think the scenes with TC, Rick and Higgins laughing about Thomas guarding a horse were overdone, even if you buy the conceit that his guarding a horse is silly.

A couple other things bothered me:
1. If Charles Cathcart saved Magnum's life in Vietnam, where are the scars from the surgery?
2. Charles Cathcart's makeup was horrible. The brown tinted pancake is so thick he looks like he's casket-ready.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Magnum: But there must be something wrong with me, because it's always that perfect moment...when a little voice tells me disaster's about to strike.

Magnum: My only problem was the little voice didn't tell me...the disaster had dark brown hair, wore big glasses and called herself--Adelaide Malone.

Magnum: I know what you're thinking. I should've been suspicious. But I was too teed off at Captain Cathcart. He'd hit a real sore spot, and I wasn't thinking straight. For a private investigator, that's a terrible mistake.

Magnum: I know what you're thinking. I was crazy not to have driven that Jeep...right out of there when I had the chance. But T.C. had flown back to Oahu, and I couldn't have gotten a boat or a commercial flight back until the next morning. Besides, you wouldn't walk out on a girl with sensible shoes and a smile like that. Of course you wouldn't.

Magnum: I know what you're thinking. A classic diversion. I was supposed to follow them, then they could come back for Norman. I know that. The trouble is I didn't have a choice.

Higgins: Magnum, I had no idea you took such a good picture. You're really quite photogenic.
Magnum: Higgins, Adelaide will be back any second, so if you don't mind--
Higgins: Actually, with that overly aggressive mustache of yours, you look a bit like Rhett Butler.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Robin'sNestPodcast
Ensign

#85 Post by Robin'sNestPodcast »

Does anybody know why Dr. Cathcart has a prosthetic hand? I re-watched and cannot find out why.