3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 121

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Adelaide (1.14)

#61 Post by charybdis1966 »

Watching this again I noticed something that had me chuckling, when TC is flying Adelaide and TM over to the stables and all three are supposedly in the front seats of the chopper I couldn't help thinking it was so obvious they were on the ground with the camera man just making slow clockwise circles to simulate being air borne.

I think I read elsewhere on this forum that you can only get two in the front seats of TC's chopper.

Also I keep thinking of Christine Belford as Croft's ill fated partner Leda in classic Battlestar, a character who was as feisty as Adelaide was meek.

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#62 Post by magnumette »

Just finished watching Adelaide- I am re-watching the series in order.
sweet episode but one more thing to add here ...

I loved the interaction between Higgins and Magnum. In addition to the ongoing who's Ferrari is it? I love how Magnum doesn't always get the girl and how people are often oblivious to how good looking he is. In the study, When Higgins says ( I'm typing as best I remember..."what a great pic Magnum. I had no idea you were so photogenic! With your overly aggressive mustache I swear you look like Rhett Butler."

I choked I was laughing so hard. Of course, in real life, Selleck was a Salem model - the man was and still is beautiful and Higgins had no idea lmao.

In this way , Adelaide and TM are alike :)

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#63 Post by Dave Anderson »

I had never seen this episode (or if I did back in the day, I didn't remember it), until a couple nights ago. I watched it twice in the past two evenings.

I like it. Its a nice, "feel good" episode. Its not up there with the best episodes of the series, nor is it particularly profound, but all-in-all its a solid middle-of-the road Magnum episode. The actress did a mostly good job portraying the shy, uptight, but driven to succeed, role. Magnum was very good opposite her. The kiss at the end on the vollyball court was well done. The horses were beautiful. All in all, an enjoyable episode, if nothing spectacular. I gave it an 8.5.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by Milton Collins »

Jay-Firestorm wrote:Here is Friday’s review. One of my lesser favourite episodes, but still passable.

[TV.com rating = 7.5; average]

I’ve heard this episode occasionally mentioned when discussing worst episodes of the series; I would disagree with this, as there is far worse to come in some later seasons (as always, I cite seasons five and six), but even so, it’s not one of my favourites either

But the episode isn’t all bad. For one, it has some great T.C. & Rick sequences – by this point, Roger E. Mosley and Larry Manetti were starting to really gel onscreen, and the result is a couple of laugh-out-loud moments.

I agree Jay, not a great one but passible as a 7.5 which is what I gave it as well. There are FAR worse ones later on in season 5 for instance (I agree again with your comment about season 5, why was this season in particular so full of bad episodes?). The scene on some deck area of the King Kamehameha Club where they are having drinks and Rick figures out that Thomas is in fact guarding a horse and TM storms away embarrassed and mad is great! Especially when Rick and TC first laugh about going to the horseshow and then slowly warm up to it, the look on Rick's face is priceless! And I love when they actually go to the show dressed up in those ridiculous outfits and want TM to make a big deal about them, so dang funny! By no means do I think this is a great episode but it's not bad either. It's also the 2nd or 3rd Magnum I ever saw so that makes me like it more too!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by KingKC »

Although this wasn't a great episode it sure wasn't that bad of one either. I think it was just one of the episodes that began to build the show to what it was which was a lot of diversity in the life of this private investigator. You have to admit there was a lot of different and creative plots in MPI. I did kind of wonder about two episodes concentrating on finding and/or protecting animals in the first season???

KingKC

Magnum's moustache
Lieutenant Commander

#66 Post by Magnum's moustache »

I don't think this has been mentioned before, but there's maybe another flub in this episode:

At 14:50 the jeep has a flat tire
At 15:00 abracadabra, the tire is properly inflated :shock:
Higgins: Magnum, you are clad only in your undershorts.
Magnum: Of course I am.
Higgins: Even for you I find that just a trifle casual.

{Unless you treat failure as part of the journey, you're never going to get anywhere.} ~ Tom Selleck

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#67 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

I haven't seen this one in years, but I do know how against-type Christine Belford was cast as Adelaide. Usually on shows like Murder, She Wrote she played b*tchier, snobbier characters, but here her casting is at least due to her being an accomplished equestrian. It was also weird how in the climax Magnum just finds Adelaide's uncle on the ground from an off-screen heart attack. What an anticlimactic exit! :P Cameron Mitchell I mainly know from the giallo classic Blood and Black Lace, and (spoiler) his death scene in that is a lot better. :P

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hi Chickinthemiddle!

You said you hadn't seen this one in a while but I bet if you watched it again you might get a different view about the climax....at least this is how I interpreted what happened. While Adelaide and TM are busy in the stable with the bad guys, Uncle Charles and Norman both went outside where it's presumed that Norman is.......ahem......making darn sure Uncle Charles won't be able to collect on the insurance. :shock:

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Yikes. :lol: I must have missed that even watching it the first time. If Norman did indeed trample Uncle Charles, I sure didn't recall seeing any blood (censors, in any case). That would sure be a dark turn for early Magnum. (And that period of the show had Nazis in it!)

In any case, the way Magnum just finds him on the ground near the end wouldn't likely happen later in the series. :P At the very least there'd be a Magnum voiceover afterwards. But boy, could you imagine how that would go? :shock:

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:Yikes. :lol: I must have missed that even watching it the first time. If Norman did indeed trample Uncle Charles, I sure didn't recall seeing any blood (censors, in any case).
Right, but I think it was dark too.

Maybe I'm wrong but Uncle Charles was in front of Norman as they were both running toward the stable doorway so I figured Norman really just accidentally (? :shock: ) trampled over him because he was spooked.

Then, when TM goes outside, checks Uncle Charles' pulse and goes to calm Norman, he says "It's not your fault" then glances over his shoulder to Uncle Charles laying on the ground, and then says again, "It's not your fault at all." I assumed that was the writers' way of telling us Norman did it.

Anybody else think Norman trampled him? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Whether Norman had a hand in it or not, I always had figured Charles had a heart attack (and it would make sense that Norman frightened him back after being spooked).

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by Milton Collins »

I watched this one again last night and I totally agree that Normal trampled Uncle Charles, especially with TM saying "it's not your fault, it's not your fault at all!" But I will say it really didn't make it very clear and I had to watch that part twice to figure out what happened.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#73 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Milton Collins wrote:I watched this one again last night and I totally agree that Normal trampled Uncle Charles, especially with TM saying "it's not your fault, it's not your fault at all!" But I will say it really didn't make it very clear and I had to watch that part twice to figure out what happened.
Exactly. That's a Klute level of ambiguity not usually seen in Magnum unless it were a paranormal-themed episode (see the end of "Rapture").

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

So watching it again, we do see Norman chase Charles out of the stable. Nowadays, if a scene like this happened, we'd have heard Norman make sounds and see more evidence of a trampling, but neither happens in this case. Magnum indeed just finds Charles on the ground outside the stable looking surprisingly unscathed. :P No wonder we got so confused! :lol:

Also, slightly off-topic, I'm 99% sure Christine Belford got a rhinoplasty after this episode. It would also explain why she started getting roles much different than Adelaide (snooty, rich, absorbed types instead) as the 80s went on.

Last edited by thechickinthemiddle on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by K Hale »

Horse person here. This episode was so bad in terms of realism that I can't stand to watch it. Literally everything anyone said or did was wrong, wrong, wrong. Would make a great Rifftrax entry. I was going to make a post about all the flubs but it became too depressing.

It would have taken very little effort or expense to hire one (1) person who knows which end eats hay to give a look-see at the script before shooting began, but I guess they reserved that for issues involving guns and helicopters. :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!