6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 121

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

It wasn't as bad as I expected after reading the thread.
I should make a mental note not to read your comments before watching an episode! :lol:

I laughed out loud quite a few times. First time I had to laugh was the thought of Magnum advertising in the Yellow Pages.
Another really funny moment I think was Rick and TC in their cutaways. They looked rather snazzy!!!

Then when he turns back to Adelaide with the gun, saying "Take the safety off!" His voice sounds somehow weird.

And after he kissed Adelaide at the and he's got a weird smile, a bit like "Hey, I got her in the end!"

I had a really close look for anyone resembling Magnum in the background during the horse show, but couldn't see anyone resembling him. Does anyone have a screenshot of that?

EDIT: Oh, I remember that other funny line now:

"That was before coffee." (the attack of the three masked gunmen)
That made me laugh so hard. I don't function before coffee either! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Magnum T. »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:It wasn't as bad as I expected after reading the thread.
I should make a mental note not to read your comments before watching an episode! :lol:
Are you watching the series for the first time?
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

No, I have watched Magnum many, many times before when it was on TV. I have just never watched it in order off the DVD. So in a way---- there are probably some episodes that I have never seen because a) I have missed them and b) they have never been shown on my local network.

I got the second season for my birthday this year and decided that Magnum was one of those classic TV series of my childhood that I need to own. So I have started with season one and I am enjoying them in order. One by one.

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Coops »

Ok...wow...I don't have ANY idea how this made it past the editors and our keen-eyed flub spotters and de-flub spotters but did anyone even notice at the 28:44 mark there's a loud howling noise behind T.C. and Rick and if you look behind them you'll actually see a dog getting stepped on by a horse? I've watched this episode I don't know how many times and I just caught it tonight. How very odd, as Higgy would say.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#50 Post by Agatha »

You're KIDDING, Coops! Really??? What's happening at 28:44 so I can see if I can see/hear it!! Isn't it amazing what we miss? Like when James mentioned the cat in Billy Joe Bob. That's one of my favorite episodes so I've watched it more than a lot of the others but did I see that cat? Heck, no!!

Amazing!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Coops »

Nope! I"m not kidding! I can't really tell if the dog is getting stepped ON or just stepped INTO but you can definitely see it happening behind T.C. and Rick.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#52 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nope, never noticed it either! LOL! :)

The dog definitely gets either stepped on or kicked. But it looks like it was ok afterwards. The dog looks like an Australian Cattle Dog (one of my neighbors has one). Those are some tough dogs! The dog's howl really does sound weird, though. It almost sound like a monkey, or even a Kookaburra! :shock:

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Coops »

The howl is what got my attention, then I sort of saw something run across the screen in the background. Then my wife turned to me and said, "What was that screaming? Adelaide?" so I ran it back and saw that dog getting kicked around in the back.

LOL @ J.J. for the Kookaburra! :lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#54 Post by J.J. Walters »

Coops wrote:Then my wife turned to me and said, "What was that screaming? Adelaide?"
LOL! :)

"...like a jar of strawberry preserves on the shelf all winter that just explodes one day."

Here is the audio of the howl. I can't believe I never noticed it before!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Seaver41 »

THIS was an episode I primarily had forgotten. It was a mix of nice moments, some humor...but really some spotty writing. The mystery was weak. Christine Belford, to me, was not credible as a country bumpkin.....I've seen her too many times as bitchy, worldly, and hot. I just couldn't by into the Dorothy act. Episode still wasn't horrible, but I was looking for it to wrap up.

Haven't seen a bad one yet in season 1, but this might be the lowest rated for me.

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by Sisophous »

Seaver41 wrote:THIS was an episode I primarily had forgotten.
That's understandable, I watched it last night for the first time and it is another sub par episode. I gave it 2 stars out of 5. I am rating all the episodes to later return and watch all the good ones again. Any episodes that I given less than 3 stars I will avoid and not waste my time with them.

This is yet another stupid plot, with an Iowa girl playing the lead role and a horse taking center stage.

The only really memorable moment is early on with Rick and TC laughing uncontrollably at Magnum and the horse story while having a drink at the oceanside restaurant. You could see the anger build in Magnum as he was being mocked by his two buddies.

I have nothing against horses, but when a story revolves around a horse I really say oh no, here we go again.

The character played by the Iowa girl is pure and innocent but at the same time she was so nerdy it turned me off.

.45caliber
Lieutenant Commander

#57 Post by .45caliber »

I love this episode, one of my favorite episodes. Very funny and I love the sweetness and shyness of Adelaide. Surprising so many are negative about it.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#58 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:When Magnum & Adelaide are settling down for the night in the stable at her ranch, he prompts her to remove her glasses. She takes them off and puts them into her shirt pocket. Does this make sense to anybody?

If she's going to sleep flat on her back all night, it wouldn't make any difference whether she took her glasses off or not. They'd be just fine either on her face or in her pocket.

If she tends to roll around in her sleep, so that she might damage her glasses if they were on her face, if would make sense to take them off. But in that case, they would be just as much at risk in her pocket!
You've got a good point! The only reason for this that makes sense to me would be that if she put them on the ground, they would get dirty or scratched. I guess that just left her pocket by default... :?
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#59 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

.45caliber wrote:I love this episode, one of my favorite episodes. Very funny and I love the sweetness and shyness of Adelaide. Surprising so many are negative about it.
I also like how shy Aidelaide was. The character was great, aside from the scene where she was telling TM about "preserving herself" and "pouncing"... Man, that scene was just awkward to watch. :shock:
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#60 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I never understood what was so hilarious about Magnum working on a case involving a horse (and Higgins too, of all people). Don't they know how valuable a horse can be? When Shergar was stolen (or should I say kidnapped) it was a a big shock in Ireland. Any PI would have made a fortune out of that case.