6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
4%

Total votes: 121

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I think it's part of the appeal of the series.

Many shows have put me off with hard nosed, ultra-perfect leads. Magnum wasn't perfect, but more human.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#32 Post by Agatha »

I've tried VERY hard not to post a comment in answer to your review, Jay-Firestorm. I've talked to my self about "everyone has a right to his opinion." I've talked to my self about "live and let live." I even did some dishes to get my mind off of the comment that I want to post in answer to your review. But I can't stand it....

I HAVE to say that on a list of words that I would use to describe a kiss from Thomas Magnum, the word "excruciating" would not be at the top. In fact, it wouldn't be on the list at all!!

Dear me!!

:shock:

PS - Whew! Thanks for letting me get that out of my system!

:wink:
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Bes
Commander

#33 Post by Bes »

I find this episode quite sweet and underrated.

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#34 Post by Agatha »

I agree, Bes! A lot of people think this episode is silly but I like that it shows how tender Thomas is with vulnerable people like Adelaide. And how he judges people by their merit...not their appearance. That's an ongoing trait that I think Tom Selleck brought to the role. Maybe because in real life he's the most unassuming DREAMBOAT in the world!!!!

:wink:

By the way...welcome to the site! Hope you're enjoying it!!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#35 Post by J.J. Walters »

Here's another amusing flub. This one is brought to by Senor Coops!

Stationary rotor blades, above T.C.'s head. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Coops »

WOOT me!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by AmandaByNight »

I agree completely with Agatha's review. This is indeed a sweet episode and you really get a feel for what a good guy TM is.

I haven't seen this one in forever, but I recently pulled out my Season One DVD set, so I think I'll give it a spin soon.

I love being able to watch these over and over again and I love that there are so many to that with! :)

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Frodoleader »

AmandaByNight wrote:I agree completely with Agatha's review. This is indeed a sweet episode and you really get a feel for what a good guy TM is.

I haven't seen this one in forever, but I recently pulled out my Season One DVD set, so I think I'll give it a spin soon.

I love being able to watch these over and over again and I love that there are so many to that with! :)
I also agree. This has become one of my favorite episodes for all the reasons stated previously.
Something I did notice, that Norman is more likely a "Norma". If you look at the screen capture from after the competition (see page 2 of this thread) there are certain items missing from Norman. I may not be much of a judge of horseflesh, but I did notice a certain apparatus was missing!
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by AmandaByNight »

Frodoleader wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote:I agree completely with Agatha's review. This is indeed a sweet episode and you really get a feel for what a good guy TM is.

I also agree. This has become one of my favorite episodes for all the reasons stated previously.
Something I did notice, that Norman is more likely a "Norma". If you look at the screen capture from after the competition (see page 2 of this thread) there are certain items missing from Norman. I may not be much of a judge of horseflesh, but I did notice a certain apparatus was missing!
Yikes! I never noticed that, but now I won't be able to not look!

timm525
Lieutenant Commander

#40 Post by timm525 »

J.J. Walters wrote:Here's another amusing flub. This one is brought to by Senor Coops!

Stationary rotor blades, above T.C.'s head. :)
I'm not a helicopter pilot by any means but is that center seat really a seat or was that helicopter a non-working prop used for the scene? I think I already know the answer here. Reason being, I don't think there is a center seat there. She would be sitting on the co-pilot's cyclic if she was sitting there. I think they did that just so that they could get all three of them together in the same shot. Practical for the shot but not for a working helicopter IMHO. I'm pretty sure you can get three across in the back seat as the capacity was said to be for 5. I can't imagine them putting 3 in the front and 2 in the back. I think there was also another ep., the one with Sharon Stone, where they sat three across in the front for the same effect of getting all three in the same shot.

Also, in reading the other posts, was Cathcart's hand supposed to be an artificial replacement or was that some kind of rubber skin over his hand? I had assumed since it looked like a rubber skin and his fingers were sceen moving, that he had burned his hand badly in the past and therefore had to were that "glove" to cover it? Never thought of it as an amputee hand until reading the above posts. Interesting.

burny
Commander

#41 Post by burny »

interesting little plot point - the hiding of norman in the showgrounds stable
after he was stolen by covering up his white blaze - that concept or idea
was directly lifted from the conan doyle sherlock holmes story "silver blaze".

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I'm sorry but this episode was just stupid and ridiculous! :? The idea of Magnum helping this goof-ball woman and her horse has got to be one of the worst plot ideas! :roll: The writers must have been drunk or high...or both when coming up with this one. :evil: This episode and "Ugliest Dog" are probably two of the worst episodes of the series! :x
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#43 Post by J.J. Walters »

Not a big animal fan, huh? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by MaiTaiMan »

J.J. Walters wrote:Not a big animal fan, huh? ;)
Oh, I love animals...the horse itself wasn't really the problem. It was the plot, and the total goofy "corniness" that was throughout most of this episode. This was almost Magnum meets Mr. Ed...except Norman didn't talk. :P

I liked "Mr. Ed" on Nick at Nite growing up...but I don't like that style for a "Magnum" episode. :wink: However, I'm not a huge cowboy/western fan either--so this episode to me was a little on that side...complete with masked bandits showing up. Whatever! :lol: Christine Belford is an awesome actress too, and I've liked her in most everything else I've seen her in...but she annoyed the heck out of me in this. :shock:

Same with "Ugliest Dog"...I love dogs and have 2 myself. But, again the plot of that one, and how it was played out, was just too "silly" and ridiculous for Magnum in my opinion. :? Both of these episodes make me roll my eyes. :roll:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Magnum T. »

Adelaide Malone hires Magnum to protect a valuable racehorse from being kidnapped.
The woman is shy and not very self-confident but she's clearly attracted by Magnum.
Her uncle, an old acquaintance of TM's from Vietnam, doesn't seem very happy to have the p.i. around.

This is a "so-so" episode to me.
A little humor, a little action, a little romance.
The only good thing is maybe the interaction between Adelaide and TM.

Plus: Christine Belford gives a good performance.
Minus: The whole episode is a little boring.
Best line:
Magnum (to Adelaide): Do you carry sterility insurance?

Notes:
- team ring on the left hand.
- first time for Al's cap.
- Christine Belford seems to have been practically in every tv-series of 70s/80s, including two of my all-time favourite, "Wonder Woman" and "The Incredible Hulk".

Funny thing: as Carol the Dabbler wrote, while Adelaide is settling for the night she takes off her glasses only to put them into her shirt pocket, which is not the safest place to keep eyeglasses I suppose.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"