No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 104

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

Re: Don't Say Goodbye (1.15)

#81 Post by Sisophous »

J.J. Walters wrote:Yeah, I removed that reference from the episode guide a couple of months ago. The actor actually contacted me directly to have it corrected. Embarrassing! My only defense was that it was incorrectly listed in the IMDB. The guy's name is Jim Reynolds (aka JR Reynolds), not RJ Reynolds! Back in the 80's he was a Top 40 DJ with KIKI in Honolulu. He was also in "Past Tense".
Thanks for clearing that up, I wondered how a person can change so much over time, they looked like different people. Jim Reynolds on Magnum P.I. had a very slight build while the adult performer had a much larger frame.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#82 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

'Take me to 265 So-and-so Drive'
'I ain't running no taxi service!'

That exchange cracks me up every time. :)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#83 Post by Doc Ibold »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:'Take me to 265 So-and-so Drive'
'I ain't running no taxi service!'

That exchange cracks me up every time. :)
Don't forget "Scoogilie Woogooilie".. LOL. I think the only time TC may have gotten paid onscreen by Magnum in the entire series!
:lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by KingKC »

This was another one that stayed in my mind for 35 years. Maybe it was the plot which was unusual to say the least. Maybe it was Ted Danson and how worthless he was and how he got his just desserts in the ending. Maybe it was the kindness TM showed to Agatha. It was just memorable and Top Ten in my book.

KingKC

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

Re:

#85 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

Magnum T. wrote:Mrs. Agatha Kimball, a blind/disabled high-society lady is blackmailed by a Frank LaRue, who claims to know something about Amy, the lady's niece.
Being Magnum a friend to both of the women (and having been more than a friend to Amy) he is requested by Mrs. Kimball to give the money to the blackmailer and keep the information to himself only.
Magnum meets the man but somebody has to be very interested in keeping LaRue's mouth shut since he is shot dead before Magnum's eyes.
After some investigations the p.i. realizes that even a sweet and delicate girl like Amy can have something to hide.

Well, everybody seem to like this episode a lot.
To me it is a decent one, not of my favourites.
The twist with Amy is good but is pretty obvious that Danson is not a guy you can trust.
There is a little overacting here and there, especially from Mrs. MacCambridge.
As usual one thing that never fails is the Magnum-Higgins interaction.
And I like the final joke with Rick dating Fat Jack's other sister.

Plus:
- the look on Higgins' face when Rick invites him to have some... food.
- the scene where Higgins is forced to admit Magnum's phone was not working because the lads had chewed the wire.
Minus:
- I am not a big fan of Andrea Marcovicci.
- The TM and Amy discussing/kissing scene is predictable and looks phony to me.
- The ending scene is a little too "melodramatic" for my taste.
Best line:
T.C.: Scuddily Wugglies! Man, where did you get this from? You didn't do nothing illegal did you?
I'm with you Magnum T.

I can't understand why TM would kiss the married lady like that. It was also strange how she had no emotion about her husband's death at the KKC club entrance in the following scene. To be honest I didn't care for her or grandma. I could sympathize more with Ted Danson.

Scooglie Wooglies was the best part of this episode and maybe my favorite TC line ever uttered!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Late to the party, but I had no idea this episode featured an early appearance by Artie Keanu and Big Sally! :lol:

The casting department definitely remembered their chemistry for later episodes, even though they're brother and sister here. :P

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Chris109 »

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

You better listen to her, she can take a cast iron skillet to the back of the head and not even flinch! :lol:

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by ENSHealy »

1.15 DON’T SAY GOODBYE
Hawaiian shirts: 1 blue calla lilies
Island Hopper shirts: 1 blue logo on cream
Shirtless: 1
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI:
Investigator corrections:
Higgins musings:
4th wall breaks:
Negotiations:
Magnum Body Count: 1 Stuart chased into the propeller
Magnum gunshot wounds:
Famous guest stars: 1 Ted Danson
Magnumometer: 5

Potential magnum-mania usernames: Fat Jack (taken), Eunice, Eunice's Sister.
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Mercedes McCambridge: Her whiny voice is annoying, as is her Stevie Wonder routine.
Have to agree there, I could never pin down exactly what it was about her performance that irritated me, but you nailed it. She rocks back and forth so much I found myself thinking of Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

I also was disappointed that it's obvious from the start that Stuart is the bad guy. Usually they throw us a red herring or two, but not this time.

Question: presumably Stuart shot Frank LaRue. How did he know where the drop was happening?

Question: Higgins mentions early in the episode, regarding Thomas' phone, that he "checked with the phone company. It's been disconnected." Later, during the "health food" lunch, he doubles down, saying "At 1:30 the phone company called to verify the fact that your phone has been disconnected." How is it that the phone company tells Higgins not once, but twice, that the phone has been disconnected, when it is later stated that the dogs chewed through the line? I think this is a flub. At the very least, it's a real weak spot in the story continuity?

Is there a special number for the operator in Hawaii, other than 0? Because Thomas appears to punch in a full phone number before asking the operator to bill the call to his home phone. Presumably, the number he punched in was Agatha's. Did the pay phone route him to the operator because he dialed a number without putting money in? Did it actually work that way? Also, it sounds like he punches in a 10-digit phone number. Would he have needed the area code? And if he did, wouldn't he also have then had to dial a "1" first? Also, could you really have a call billed to any number as long as you had the name of the number's owner correct? I sure don't remember it working that way, but by the time I needed to make long distance calls from payphones, it was the calling card era, and I just needed to punch in my (Dad's) card number. I can still remember that number, 35 years later.

CRUCIAL CONVERSATIONS

Higgins: Magnum! Magnum!
Magnum: Morning, Higgins.
Higgins: Your phone has been disconnected.
Magnum: What?
Higgins: Your phone has been disconnected!
Magnum: Disconnected? I thought it was just out of order.
Higgins: I checked with the phone company. It's been disconnected.
Magnum: Why would they do that?
Higgins: Usually because one doesn't pay one's phone bill.
Magnum: Well, I always pay my phone bill.
Higgins: Always?
Magnum: Well, sometimes I'm a little late.
Higgins: Aha!
Magnum: But not this month. Besides, what business is it of yours whether my phone is out of order?
Higgins: It's not out of order. It's been disconnected.
Higgins: And it makes no difference to me until I become your answering service.
Magnum: Higgins.
Higgins: I've taken dozens of calls from virtually every scoundrel on this island…
Magnum: Higgins!
Higgins: …including tasteless, provocative messages from your floozy girlfriends.
Magnum: I don't have any floozy girlfriends.
Higgins: Waiting this very moment on Robin's private line...
is a woman who asked me to, and I quote, "Tell that big hunk of a man to get his bod to the phone, so I can breathe heavy.''

Magnum: I deserved one.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#90 Post by T.Q. »

I like this episode.

Bit cheesy but like it.

Agatha a bit annoying.

“Googly Moogly” :P
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#91 Post by K Hale »

ENSHealy wrote:Question: Higgins mentions early in the episode, regarding Thomas' phone, that he "checked with the phone company. It's been disconnected." Later, during the "health food" lunch, he doubles down, saying "At 1:30 the phone company called to verify the fact that your phone has been disconnected." How is it that the phone company tells Higgins not once, but twice, that the phone has been disconnected, when it is later stated that the dogs chewed through the line? I think this is a flub. At the very least, it's a real weak spot in the story continuity?
I think I can explain this. It has more to do with Higgins' attitude towards becoming "Magnum's answering service" than story continuity.

From the Crucial Conversation above, we see that Magnum has known for some time that his phone isn't working, and has given out not only the estate number but also the Red Phone number to who-knows-all. Higgins says he's taken dozens of calls (although Agatha's call is the first one he has passed on to Magnum!) and he says the phone company told him the phone is disconnected. Now, if Magnum is receiving and paying the phone bills, then the phone line is under his name, and apparently Higgins is able to call the phone company and get information about the line, no doubt because it's on the property for which he is responsible, but they would not give him billing information. Thus he does not know the reason why the phone isn't working, he just assumes it's because the bill is unpaid.

Later at lunch, he says the phone company called him to verify the phone is disconnected. From the phone company's point of view, the line is literally disconnected, meaning... not connected to the system... and they don't know why, so they called Higgins as the property manager, to see if he knew why. And as I said, they still won't tell him anything about the billing because that's not under his name.

We're only getting Higgins' version of what's been said between him and Ma Bell because he's going into it assuming Magnum is somehow in the wrong. All the information he has is being filtered through that mindset, so what comes out is "your phone is disconnected" and not something like "the phone company doesn't know why you can't make or receive calls."

In the end, we find out that the dogs have disconnected the line from the system. Higgins was technically right all along, the line was indeed disconnected as the phone company no doubt told him. But he took that slim fact and ran with it!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#92 Post by Aloha Friday »

I think the secondary storyline about the phone is very comical...it turns out they were all technically correct. In Higgins' mind, the phone company confirmed the phone was disconnected...his assumption was that Thomas did not pay his bill and the phone company's action was to disconnect service. In TM's mind, he knew he paid the bill and the phone being disconnected was something mechanically wrong with the line. Both had confirmation the phone was disconnected from the phone company. In the end, it was the lads who chewed through the line disconnecting service. Regarding the question on the pay phone and charging to Robin's account. That was a thing you could do, either charging to an account, or calling collect. The pay phone was usually connected to a live operator who would tell you how much your call was going to cost...typically for the first minute. They would interrupt if the call was going longer to request additional money. You could request a collect call which would have the operator make the call and ask the receiving party if they would accept the call...while the caller was still on the line.

I like most of the first 3-4 season's episodes the best overall...always fun to see repeat cast members in different roles. You figure to acting pool in Honolulu was pretty limited. And for a fledgling show, the expense of flying talent in from Hollywood was not cost effective/efficient for episodic TV.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Philip Jennings
Lieutenant Commander

#93 Post by Philip Jennings »

Aloha Friday wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:27 pmYou could request a collect call which would have the operator make the call and ask the receiving party if they would accept the call...while the caller was still on the line.
I'll never forget the TV commercial several years back, a guy in a hospital doing a collect call to someone (I'm guessing his parents) and telling the operator his name was "Bob Wehadababyitsaboy" 😆

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#94 Post by Aloha Friday »

I remember that...very funny.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia