1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 171

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#91 Post by charybdis1966 »

Sisophous wrote:Watched this episode again last night on DVD. It has its moments but something about Erin Gray is abrasive and annoying. Yes, she has a beautiful face but the character she plays is deceitful and stuck up. It seems members here rave about her but I have known many women in my life who have the beauty but are very shallow people, she strikes me that way in this episode.

And, after pulling some treachery on Magnum to get into the estate she pulls a gun and points it at Higgins and Magnum, what a lovely way to expose the security flaws.

In case anyone would like to view the full episode (including commercials) it is easily accessible on the IMDb.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi312554 ... tt_pv_vi_1
I see what you mean about Erin Gray's character being rather manipulative and mercenary and I hadn't considered it quite like that before. In real life women who have the looks can get away with that trecherous aspect as men are willing to forgive them, IMO

Another thing that occurred to me was Don Bellisario really seemed to want to get a Raiders of the lost ark type TV series going as J Digger Doyle was one and in the Two Birds of a feather episode later another attempted spin off series featured an archaeologist (this time a pilot, with Doyle being a security expert with archaeological leanings).

I guess when he got the Tales of the Gold monkey going he finally got his wish.
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagStache
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: J. "Digger" Doyle (1.17)

#92 Post by MagStache »

One of my favorite episodes. I think I had a major crush on her (erin) way back when I was in middle or the 7th grade after seeing her on buck rogers :lol: I also liked this one because it dealt alot with robins nest and magnum's job
There can be no cash without the 'stache...

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#93 Post by No need to know! »

Just watched this one again for like the 70th time or something.
Two flubs always makes me laugh. HigginsDoll on Magnums back :lol: , and the other flub is when Higgins talks to Robin on the phone for 10 seconds, and than explains all about Starguard for like a minute and a half or so. But come to think of it. That scene actually could support the fact the Higgins is the real Robin. Maybe he already knew all the facts. But then again NO!
Onion´s extra?

harvey
Ensign

#94 Post by harvey »

I talk to Joy "Digger" Doyle, herself - Erin Gray - on Comic Book Central this Friday, 3/21! Be sure to check it out! And yes...we talk about "Magnum"!

http://comicbookcentral.net

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/comicbookctrl

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/comicbookcentralnetwork

:magnum:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#95 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome harvey!

Very cool, will have to check that out.

Good folks here...stick around...you'll like it. :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#96 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

308GUY wrote:Welcome harvey!

Very cool, will have to check that out.

Good folks here...stick around...you'll like it. :magnum:
Hi 308GUY,

I think instead of your rank being "Fleet Admiral" you should be the official "Welcome Wagon Ambassador"! :wink:

~RG

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#97 Post by Doc Ibold »

He's even got the catchphrase!

:D

harvey
Ensign

#98 Post by harvey »

Thanks for the welcome! Although, I seem to be having some password trouble. Hmmm...

As promised, here's the episode with "Digger" herself, ERIN GRAY! Please help to get the word out about the show. More listeners are always better.

http://comicbookcentral.net/comic-book- ... -erin-gray

Don't forget to follow the show on Twitter and Facebook. Btw - does Magnum Mania have a FB page?

Oh, and Nicholas Hammond (Foiled Again) is coming up soon. But I didn't get a chance to ask him about Magnum. :cry:

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#99 Post by ConchRepublican »

harvey wrote:Thanks for the welcome! Although, I seem to be having some password trouble. Hmmm...

As promised, here's the episode with "Digger" herself, ERIN GRAY! Please help to get the word out about the show. More listeners are always better.

http://comicbookcentral.net/comic-book- ... -erin-gray

Don't forget to follow the show on Twitter and Facebook. Btw - does Magnum Mania have a FB page?

Oh, and Nicholas Hammond (Foiled Again) is coming up soon. But I didn't get a chance to ask him about Magnum. :cry:
Just had a chance to listen to the Erin Grey interview, good stuff!!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

EZiller
Captain

#100 Post by EZiller »

JDD is truly an MPI classic episode. Has a bit of everything, including Robin, Higgins actually get his comeuppances, some good plot twists, Erin Grey, sex…speaking of which, I hadn’t seen it mentioned, but there was this line of dialogue delivered by TSM, which may or may not be a classic bit of innuendo. In the beginning of the episode, after Digger out ran TSM on the beach, he’s having a beer with Rick at the KKC and contemplating racing Digger on the surf ski. The camera has a close-up on Erin preparing to go out, looking absolutely incredibly hot in that red & black bikini and TSM says “part of me wanted to go down there…and prove it” While I may reading more into it, I also think Bellasario is too talented and too clever a writer to just casually drop a line like that.

This is also one of the first episodes where TSM, Higgins, TC and Rick really come together as a team to bail each other out, something that will happen frequently throughout the series. We also see for one of the first times that TSM really has great respect and admiration for Higgins, after Digger has embarrassed him by penetrating security at Robins Nest and even worse, diminished the qualifications of Zeus and Apollo as elite guard dogs. After all the nasty things Higgins had said to TSM and treated him at times during year 1, he could have reacted by enjoying Higgins misfortune, but instead finds that himself enraged that Digger would intentionally show up Higgins.

As for whether this episode does or does not prove that Higgins is Robin-I think it does prove that Bellsario had no clue at this time that he would eventually make this a major plot twist in the last 2 years of the show. And when he did I’m sure he hoped viewers would conveniently this episode.

For me, this JDD gets a 10. As does Erin Grey.
Last edited by EZiller on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#101 Post by Lindsay Writer »

This was the best episode of the first season and they screwed up bad by not having Erin come back they should have made her a regular cast member for season two where we'd see her in the opening credits as an equal player. The show needed a strong woman and it never had one. Carol Baldwin was the worst she was a whining namby-pamby very weak character. Digger could have been and would have been the 2nd star on the show after Selleck.

Bellisario wanted to spin Digger off into her own series but I don't think that would have worked. Don should have gone to CBS and told them he wants Erin to be a regular cast member. Think how much better all the future episodes would have been with Digger as an equal team member starting in season two and ongoing until the end. She could have continued to work for Star Guard and help Magnum whenever he needed help. The episodes would have been much better with her.

Luckily for Erin she wound up on Silver Spoons and she made a lot of money from that show but I know she would have had much more fun if she had been allowed to join Magnum as a regular cast member with an equal amount of time as Higgins, Rick and TC had and an equal salary she deserved to be a regular player on the show.

ConchRepublican

#102 Post by ConchRepublican »

Lindsay Writer wrote: Bellisario wanted to spin Digger off into her own series but I don't think that would have worked. Don should have gone to CBS and told them he wants Erin to be a regular cast member. Think how much better all the future episodes would have been with Digger as an equal team member starting in season two and ongoing until the end. She could have continued to work for Star Guard and help Magnum whenever he needed help. The episodes would have been much better with her.
Hey now . . . a now and then Erin Gray visit, like Batgirl from the Batman TV series, would have been nice.

2nd lead? No thanks, I wouldn't sacrifice any of the Higgins / T.C. / Rick dynamic for Digger.
Last edited by ConchRepublican on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#103 Post by Steve »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Lindsay Writer wrote: Bellisario wanted to spin Digger off into her own series but I don't think that would have worked. Don should have gone to CBS and told them he wants Erin to be a regular cast member. Think how much better all the future episodes would have been with Digger as an equal team member starting in season two and ongoing until the end. She could have continued to work for Star Guard and help Magnum whenever he needed help. The episodes would have been much better with her.
Hey now . . . a now and then Erin Gray visit, like Batgirl from the Batman TV series, would have been nice.

2nd lead? Not thanks, I wouldn't sacrifice any of the Higgins / T.C. / Rick dynamic for Digger.
I agree, I am a big Erin Gray fan (heck, I always ask for an Erin Gray Goose Martini) but I liked the fact that Magnum never had a on going romance. I didn't even like the Dana Delany arc as I prefer my Magnum footlose, fancy free and doing his best to deal with the Michelle issue...............

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#104 Post by Doc Ibold »

Ehhhh,

I don't know if Digger would have been the best choice as a full time. I liked the dynamic with all the guys and that they all had (somewhat) common backgrounds in which they could all relate back to.

Plus, the character was kind of meh throughout. I got "aloof" Digger, but when she warmed up to Magnum at the end, she was still lukewarm in terms of emotional range. "But Tom, I didn't sneeze on purpose"

:?

I agree with Steve in that a footloose and fancy free Magnum was the way to go, because they probably would have done a romantic arc that would have had it go all Moonlighting.

Now, don't get me wrong, J. Digger Doyle is up there on my list of great Magnum episodes.. But simply for the fact that it set up a lot of the storylines in the future.

i.e. The first time Magnum actually vocalizes that he respects Higgins (in front of him) the guys coming together to thwart a plot, the first instance of Robin Masters. Just good stuff. Now, if she was treated in the same vein as Luther Gillis (whom I hated at first... But actually grew to like his episodes), I could've been on board with that.

Overall, I thought they incorporated the women into the story pretty well as more friends and equals rather than a romantic interest.

ConchRepublican

#105 Post by ConchRepublican »

Doc Ibold wrote:Ehhhh,

I don't know if Digger would have been the best choice as a full time. I liked the dynamic with all the guys and that they all had (somewhat) common backgrounds in which they could all relate back to.

Plus, the character was kind of meh throughout. I got "aloof" Digger, but when she warmed up to Magnum at the end, she was still lukewarm in terms of emotional range. "But Tom, I didn't sneeze on purpose"

:?

I agree with Steve in that a footloose and fancy free Magnum was the way to go, because they probably would have done a romantic arc that would have had it go all Moonlighting.

Now, don't get me wrong, J. Digger Doyle is up there on my list of great Magnum episodes.. But simply for the fact that it set up a lot of the storylines in the future.

i.e. The first time Magnum actually vocalizes that he respects Higgins (in front of him) the guys coming together to thwart a plot, the first instance of Robin Masters. Just good stuff. Now, if she was treated in the same vein as Luther Gillis (whom I hated at first... But actually grew to like his episodes), I could've been on board with that.

Overall, I thought they incorporated the women into the story pretty well as more friends and equals rather than a romantic interest.
What he said. :magnum:
CoziTV Superfan spot