6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 171

Carmen
MPI

#31 Post by Carmen »

Thanks, I'm glad to know I'm not the only crazy Magnum fan out there...
Who is crazy `round here ?! :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#32 Post by SelleckLover »

Who me? A crazy Magnum fan??? I never heard of such a thing! :wink:

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Miss Q »

Question - Given TM and Diggers familiarity with each other at the closing scene of this episode, does TM sleep with her?
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Carmen
MPI

#34 Post by Carmen »

Like I said on the "On the fly" thread: "Is he male" "Is the pope catholic?"

No offence here guys, but doesn`t men take every opportunity... :wink:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Artie Canoe
Captain

#35 Post by Artie Canoe »

Yeah I think a lot of that was implied in Magnum without actually giving everything away so you have to put it together yourself in a lot of cases involving his "romances"

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#36 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree. I think we know what TM did, but it adds to the coolness of him that it wasn't flaunted.

PhatCat
Admiral

#37 Post by PhatCat »

Bom-chik-a-bom-bom...

:wink:

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#38 Post by Agatha »

I agree with IKnowWhatYoureThinking. There are several episodes where I think Thomas was intimate with the lady but I also think it's cool that it wasn't flaunted.

This is one of my very favorites. It has all the components that I like. A tight and well-written story that's intriguing. A global scope. Teamwork between the guys in a military-type operation. A great guest gal...although Erin Grey should never wear dark running shorts...they make her look "hippy". (Sorry, guys!) She sure has beautiful blue eyes, though, doesn't she?

I loved the "Doesn't it look like my car?" twist. People are always questioning whether or not the Ferrari belongs to Thomas and here he is questioning "Digger's" ownership of the identical car...for different reasons, I understand, but the exchange was still wonderful. Kind of made me feel like an "insider."

One of the reasons that I like the military-type episodes is that I'm fascinated by the way the "military" mind works. Or anyway I attribute some of the things that the guys do to their military training. Like when Thomas calls to verify Digger's identity and when Higgins knows to leave clues on the tape recorder to help Thomas find him. I also like the comaradarie between Rick, TC and Thomas...like when they give Digger a bad time during the "briefing." And, of course, throughout the episode Thomas is totally loyal...to Robin and to Higgins. Carrying Higgins up the mountain is WAY above loyal. I like that Higgins is "quite speechless"...and think it's fun when Thomas tells him that "It's about time!"

I'm fascinated by the Haiku Valley Ladder. I wonder if I could climb up it. Probably not. But maybe I could climb DOWN it. Even though I know that the fronts of a person's legs can hurt, too. The information at the link in the episode index is confusing. First it says that the stairs were repaired and they're open to the public. Then it says...and shows pictures...that it's in disrepair and dangerous. Hmmm. Maybe my goal will be to climb ON it...for a ways...until I get to a broken stretch...or a steep part...:)

By the way...I've forgiven Higgins for his "bloody, filthy animals. All they want to do is spit on you." remark. My boys are South American camels and it may be that Middle Eastern camels are different but nobody gets spit on at my house unless they have committed a "spitable" offense. So I choose to believe that Higgins must have done something to cause those camels to spit on him. On the other hand...spitable, like a lot of other things, is in the eye of the beholder!

My favorite "line" in this episode is not even spoken. It's the small, smug smile that Higgins gives to David Clark as he turns from the safe after David assumes that he's Robin. That smile seems triumphant to me and it doesn't even seem to matter that Thomas was the one to figure it all out...again!!

Nice...very nice!

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#39 Post by golfmobile »

Agatha,

Google the Haiku Stairs. I'm pretty sure they are in such bad condition now that they are locked off and no one is permitted to be on them legally. I know there are lots of pictures on the internet of people climbing them and reporting their trip, but I think those may be a few years old and the stairs aren't "navigable" now. But Google it to be sure -- even if you find you can't be on them, their "history" is interesting and you'll find lots of information about them.

FYI, here's something about them from eight months ago:

Haiku Stairs

(and that link above has a couple of links to other info about them)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#40 Post by Agatha »

Thanks for the info, golf! I did some surfing around and came up with a site that seems pretty up-to-date.

Here's the link in case anybody else is interested:
http://www.friendsofhaikustairs.org/Factsheet.htm

Sounds like a big boondoggle to me! I wonder why people can't figure out how to get along?

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

I was looking forward to reviewing this one; it’s one of my favourite episodes.

[TV.com rating=10, Series Classic]

A beautiful security expert dupes Magnum to letting her onto the Estate in a test of security, as Robin Masters’ life is threatened if he publishes his latest book, and the Estate is one of four possible locations that he may arrive at. A classic episode…

-----

Already by this point in the series, if the credit ‘Written by Donald P. Bellisario’ appeared at the start of the story, you could be pretty sure you were in for a good one. And ‘J. “Digger” Doyle’ doesn’t disappoint – in fact, it’s one of the series classics.

Security expert Joy “Digger” Doyle of the title is an interesting character, and nicely played by the stunning Erin Gray, who at time of the production had recently finished ‘Buck Rogers in the 25th Century’ and was looking for another vehicle. In fact, this episode was partly intended to launch Digger’s own spin-off series, or at very least establish her as a recurring character in MPI. Either way, it never happened, and it’s ultimately the only time we see or hear of her in the series, which is a bit of a shame.

The episode has all of the classic ‘Magnum’ ingredients, including a perfect blend of drama, comedy and action, and some nice Magnum-Higgins moments, especially as Magnum defends Higgins after Digger duped her way onto the Estate.

The episode features what I consider to be one of the funniest scenes of the series, when Magnum tries to recruit T.C. to help out, but T.C. has got a high-paying piloting job with some millionaires; As the couple pull up, Magnum pretends to be sick after flying with T.C., putting them off. Okay, so you need to see it to get it, but it is one of the most laugh-out-loud moments of the series for me (even if it is a little below the belt of Magnum).

Of course, it’s obligatory that Magnum and Digger must get romantically involved, but at least here the two characters at least have some genuine spark and rapport between them. Even if they are busy getting kissy-kissy while they are supposed to be looking for the captured Higgins!

Particularly memorable is Magnum and Digger’s rescue of Higgins from the outpost in the mountains – even if it does seem a bit too easy to break in to, only for a simple sneeze from Digger to alert the villains as they make their escape! The steps up the side of the steep mountain (dubbed ‘The Stairway To Heaven’) is truly breathtaking (in more ways than one!), and is another example of how Hawaii’s scenery plays such an important part in the series.

The only real niggle I would have with this story, is that I never found it overly clear just why the bad guys were so intent on stopping Robin Masters publishing his manuscript in the first place, it’s all a bit vague. Near the end, Magnum does work it out, but it doesn’t come across as all that clear; but in such an otherwise terrific episode, I’m prepared to overlook that.

Later on in the series, it is strongly suggested that Robin may be none other than Higgins; this episode is one of the few that rather contradicts that, although there are probably still some creative ways of explaining it away.

All-in-all, this is a truly classic episode, one of the show’s best. If they had made a movie of the show while it was in production, this would have made a terrific plot to use.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Near the beginning when Magnum is running, watch the sweat on his vest. First of all it is in a strip down the front, then when Digger overtakes him and we get another shot of him, it is a much bigger strip. Then when he arrives at the Club and sits down, it is gone.

* In the scene where Digger and Magnum are in Digger’s Ferrari on the way to the Estate, both of their lines are noticeably dubbed. No doubt the wind and background noise as the car drove along made this necessary.

* This is the first (of many episodes) in the series where T.C. calls Higgins “Higgy-baby”

* It is also the first time in the series that we hear Higgins’ full name, Jonathan Quayle Higgins the third.

* When Magnum and Digger find the tape recording in the Audi, why does it start at the point where Higgins was talking to Rick at the gate? As far as is shown, the tape wasn’t rewound at any point.

* On the DVD version, another case of abridged commercial breaks – the fourth ad break does not have a gap.

* I’ve always felt like this episode was originally designed to be the season one finale – in that we finally meet Robin Masters (of sorts); Rick, T.C. and Higgins all playing a key part in the proceedings; and the montage of Rick, T.C., Higgins, and Magnum and Digger on the closing credits. Just a thought.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#42 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, another GREAT review Jay! Thanks!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Glad you like it :)
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

gmt16750
Captain

#44 Post by gmt16750 »

Jay-Firestorm wrote: The episode features what I consider to be one of the funniest scenes of the series, when Magnum tries to recruit T.C. to help out, but T.C. has got a high-paying piloting job with some millionaires; As the couple pull up, Magnum pretends to be sick after flying with T.C., putting them off. Okay, so you need to see it to get it, but it is one of the most laugh-out-loud moments of the series for me (even if it is a little below the belt of Magnum).
First of all, i always enjoy your reviews Jay! very acute and accurate!
By the way, "A little below the belt" ? 7000$ plus maybe a bonus!!!
Well a friend like that deserves a kick in the ass sometimes! And T.M. often relies on his friends in an exigent and fastidious way.
I really love the friendship that underlies these friends "ready-to-use" who accept unconditionaly to get down to be involved in Magnum's investigation.
It's the sort of friendship we found when we were kids.
After all, Higgins is true when he defines him (don't remember where) as an ungrown 40 years old man, immature but unable to lie :lol:

Oh i forgot, the best dialogues are between Rick and Higgins at the estate's gate:
Rick (asking for password to Higgins going out): Gee, Higgins. I'm just trying to cheer you up a little bit.
Higgins (who was taping his resignation message in the car):
Don't. It would ruin a wonderful depression.
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#45 Post by Zudobug »

I haven't seen this episode in a few years but I do remember it being a good one. I have got all of the region 2 boxsets of MPI and I think I'll have to start watching them over again at some point.